PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread - SDSU at YSU

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 08:17 AM
The Bunnies come to town to play an undermanned YSU. For the second straight week YSU is missing both starting OTs. Now add in its starting QB Crenshaw to injury. Finally, it’s best RB McLaughlin will be limited from injury in last weeks game. He will play but not at 100%.

The local newspapers pick SDSU by a score of 35-14. However , SDSU is averaging 41 pts a game while giving up 17. Because of the lack of talent at YSU and the horrendous coaching , my pick is SDSU at 41- 13 giving YSU a lucky TD and 2 FGs.

Game will be played under chilly and damp conditions which means few will be there. While local businessmen continue to buy blocks of tickets, they can’t give away free tickets to customers or employees. Thus an announced game “attendance “ of 12k is usually only 5k or less butts in seats.

The saga of failed football continues.

Go Guins

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Bunnies TD pass. SDSU 7-0

Much too easy

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 01:25 PM
SDSU RB Strong for 5 yd TD run. SDSU 14-0.

Rabbits doing what they want.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 01:33 PM
SDSU D holds ,YSU kicks FG. Bunnies 14-3

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 01:57 PM
SDSU fumbles into the endzone going in for a score . YSU recovers for touchback. Finally stop the Bunnies

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 02:07 PM
YSU intercepts in endzone stopping another SDSU score.

Still 14-3 Bunnies

Penguin Nation
October 30th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Listening to the game at work and checked the stats, which are way more lopsided than the score, likely due to the clutch turnovers that YSU took advantage of.

Questions deserve answers as to how the Penguin program has deteriorated to its current beleaguered state.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 02:21 PM
SDSU kicks 52 yd FG on last play of the half.

Bunnies 17-3

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Listening to the game at work and checked the stats, which are way more lopsided than the score, likely due to the clutch turnovers that YSU took advantage of.

Questions deserve answers as to how the Penguin program has deteriorated to its current beleaguered state.

Stats are lopsided.

Your question is easy. Nepotism and politics. Hire no one but a local guy ( Heacock, Wolf, Bozo, Phillips). Recruit heavy in the Valley wasting schollies but keeping the local parochial big dogs happy that Junior got a schollie and doesn’t have to take a half schollie at a D-2. Stop recruiting efforts in Florida, Ga., Calif and Texas. Fail to fund competent assistants while wasting money on additional minor sports. Works every time.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 02:47 PM
SDSU INT. Then Strong scores on TD run. Bunnies 24-3.

you are watching the real Guins

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 03:08 PM
SDSU Wildcat QB runs it in from 15 yds out.

Bunnies 31-3

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 03:16 PM
YSU 3rd team QB in. Davidson is a holder for Xpts. First pass complete.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Davidson TD pass on second play. Blocked xpt returned for score.

Bunnies 33-9

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 03:30 PM
SDSU QB sneak from the 1 for a TD. Bunnies 40-9. Early 4th

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Davidson throws another TD pass. Bunnies 40-16

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 03:49 PM
SDSU scores again. Bunnies 47-16.

Make sure everyone sends Strollo a thank you card for all the success of the football program he has delivered as the AD.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Final

South Dakota St. 47

YSU. 16

The next 3 games for YSU will be nearly as ugly. My 2 win season prediction looks safe.

Penguin Nation
October 30th, 2021, 04:36 PM
Paladin, thoughts about Mitch Davidson? I never heard of him who was 4th string if including Waid. 6-7 111 35 2 0 seems very impressive off the bench.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 06:39 PM
PN - this was mop up time against backups and their back ups. While he looked good and had success, he has happy feet when under duress and will throw it up for grabs . Not very mobile nor much of a runner. Had been used mostly on special teams as a holder. Little experience and if he played against first team MVFC squads, his liabilities would be obviously seen . He was unusually accurate today. That’s not a common product. If Craycraft and Crenshaw can’t play, Davidson should not be expected to be effective. It is what it is.

I believe he was originally a walkon. He may have financial help now but he has been a career 4th or 5th QB at YSU, a position we have been weak at for awhile. Hess is our last better QB.

Davidson is from the Valley (Salem). Saw him as a recruit for D-II & III. Don’t think he had any offers from D-I.

penguinpower
October 31st, 2021, 05:59 AM
Pelini was worse than Heacock at recruiting. I don't know if it was his ****ty personality or if he was lazy, but he essentially took Wolford's recruits to the NC and didn't replace them with athletes that can compete in this league. On top of that, there was a scholarship reduction due to Pelini violating NCAA rules on recruiting courses, which the Athletic department should have caught and if Pelini was told and still didn't do it, should have been fined by the school.

The problem that Phillips faces is if he dumps the scholarships on the local kids he could turn the community against the school. I'm sure that's why he wasn't permitted to just clean house and get the kids he wants. That being said, in his post game presser the first thing he said when responding to the media (whom were afraid of Pelini but not of Phillips) is that we need to recruit to fix this. It is telling that he listed it as #1 not #2 or # 3 when he gave them 3 things that they need to do to become competitive. He knows, what he has to do, but he may piss off the degos and then have a bigger issue on his hands.

Local D2 recruits all over the field

Penguin Nation
October 31st, 2021, 10:31 AM
Late in the game, Bob Hannon alluded to YSU not belonging in the MVFC, which he has done intermittently for decades. This time, however, seemed more definitive, and seemed to claim YSU will never be competitive in the MVFC, and with rare exception, hasn’t been.

IMO, he is scripted, given talking points, and likely penalized if going off-script. In the past he was in “lockstep” with YSU narratives in the past re: support of the gang rapist, avoiding talk of ticketgate, etc. If he is ever critical of the University, it’s because he’s permitted to be.

One example...when he finally began to criticize Heacock...Heacock was soon gone.

I now wonder if the AD’s solution is to not to fix or rebuild the program...but move the program...a shadow of its former shadow....to a lesser conference where it can finally compete with other ramshackle programs.

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2021, 11:51 AM
Let’s understand something - YSU exists for one reason only.... promoting local interests.

The demand on coaches is to recruit substandard local athletes. Why ? BecUse they are local and a half schollie is a full ride living at home with Mom and Dad. No college expenses.

We are on our 4th straight local guy who was hired as HC. Outsiders need not apply.

The AD is a local guy. Hey they had local examples of a Mafia Godfather - running a local “family”. The model is there

Heacock SAID he hated recruiting and it showed, but he signed local substandard talent while running a Cadillac program he inherited down to a Honda with bald tires.

Wolf stood up to the Mafia and ran off the substandard local athletes and quickly bringing in his own. He was the only one of the last 4 who could recruit. He quickly beat Pitts azz at Pitt and his athletes got Pelini to the Natty 2 years later.But they wouldn’t spring for more money to ge5 a decent DC here, Wolfs only problem and he went thru 3 while trying to fix that.

Pelini was a complete buffoon, while he recruited substandard local athletes and got his brother re employed after the drug fiasco at Florida Atlantic , he was collecting millions of dollars from Nebraska, wining and dining and golfing with Mooney friends and blowing off PR work at YSU. bTW, how did that firing of the Mooney coach as his brother got the head job at Mooney work out ? Karma at its finest.

Last but not least, Phillips. Another local guy with a very rich local friend. If he doesn’t run off the local players and recruits the local substandard athletes, nothing changes.

The Godfather over all of this ? And more . Strollo.

Nothing changes while he is there. Nothing.

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2021, 11:59 AM
Late in the game, Bob Hannon alluded to YSU not belonging in the MVFC, which he has done intermittently for decades. This time, however, seemed more definitive, and seemed to claim YSU will never be competitive in the MVFC, and with rare exception, hasn’t been.

IMO, he is scripted, given talking points, and likely penalized if going off-script. In the past he was in “lockstep” with YSU narratives in the past re: support of the gang rapist, avoiding talk of ticketgate, etc. If he is ever critical of the University, it’s because he’s permitted to be.

One example...when he finally began to criticize Heacock...Heacock was soon gone.

I now wonder if the AD’s solution is to not to fix or rebuild the program...but move the program...a shadow of its former shadow....to a lesser conference where it can finally compete with other ramshackle programs.

I agree with your assessment, PN. YSU controls the media with an iron fist. And Strollo has showed his contempt for football by spending money on adding more minor sports while sacrificing the money sports. The sins are many.

caribbeanhen
October 31st, 2021, 02:54 PM
Wow. Guidotown State

MR. CHICKEN
October 31st, 2021, 03:07 PM

......Guidotown....MAH SON-IN-LAW....IS FROM BOARDMAN......APPX. 5 MILES AWAY.......HE LIKES DUH SEAFOOD ON EAST COAST.....'CAUSE ALL DUH RESTARAUNTS IN YOUNGSTOWN....ARE ITALIAN....AN' WHAT SEAFOOD DAT IS AVAILABLE....IS FLOWN IN........&......EVEN CATS...WON'T TOUCH...........xsmhx....BRAWK!

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2021, 03:45 PM
Sorry Chickenman, but not ALL restaurants in Guidotown are Italian. Many but not all. And you can find some decent seafood here. Some but not much.

However many trips to Rehobeth, Ocean City, Myrtle and Hilton Head are great places for fresh seafood which I love as well. Especially all shellfish.

Pass the cannoli, brawk !

Penguin Nation
October 31st, 2021, 04:38 PM
HAHAHA GUIDOTOWN!!!😂

Chicken man reminded me of The Pit BBQ just off YSU’s campus in the late ‘80s. Delicious wings, bread, and a glass of reasonably clear tap water for $2.00. We went there every weekend. The toilet wasn’t bolted to the ground and somehow no drunk kid every knocked it over. Abruptly the “wings” quadrupled in size and became more chewy. Shortly thereafter, the Pit was on local news...busted for serving cats from a local shelter.

caribbeanhen
October 31st, 2021, 05:20 PM
HAHAHA GUIDOTOWN!!!

Chicken man reminded me of The Pit BBQ just off YSU’s campus in the late ‘80s. Delicious wings, bread, and a glass of reasonably clear tap water for $2.00. We went there every weekend. The toilet wasn’t bolted to the ground and somehow no drunk kid every knocked it over. Abruptly the “wings” quadrupled in size and became more chewy. Shortly thereafter, the Pit was on local news...busted for serving cats from a local shelter.

nobody ever saw a stray cat on La Isla

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2021, 05:24 PM
The locals can answer this-

Lennie Strollo

Ron Strollo

make my day - is this hilarious ?

Penguin Nation
October 31st, 2021, 06:02 PM
The locals can answer this-

Lennie Strollo

Ron Strollo

make my day - is this hilarious ?

Are they related?

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2021, 07:10 PM
You seriously don’t know, PN ?

Penguin Nation
October 31st, 2021, 08:13 PM
You seriously don’t know, PN ?

I’ve always wondered......but idk.

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2021, 08:25 PM
To my knowledge, no relation. But I always found it funny, given the way Strollo rules the athletic dept, that there wasn’t a connection. Lennie Strollo was a long time Mafia Chieftain in Ytown. Some said merely a Capo, some say he was a Don, but it was always in flux given the war between the Cleveland and Pittsburgh mobs over the Mahoning Valley. Murder, gambling, women and drugs were under his control . He eventually got busted and sent to prison. An expose’ implicated him in the murder of Joey Naples, a competing mob boss as well as failed hits on other mob guys as confessed by members of his family or gang who also went to prison.

Strollo is a common name in the Valley. I always got a chuckle given the name of the head of the YSU athletic dept and the head of a mob family. 😎

Paladin1aa
November 1st, 2021, 08:06 AM
Hey, PN - did you read the crap the. Owner of the cheerleader board posted this morning to counter your post on Wolf ?

Continues to confirm my insight - Wolf was let go because he ran off local recruits and stopped the insane waste of schollies on local weak talent. The board owner is another poison pill on the program under the direction of the AD.

Corruption everywhere you look.

Penguin Nation
November 1st, 2021, 10:07 AM
I’m convinced he’s Strollo’s nephew or something. He’s so irrational when you challenge official YSU narratives, and especially when you criticize his boy moRon. He’s like the crazy Uncle you either ignore or say, “ok” and move on.

The Wolf record speaks for itself and blows away Heacock’s and Bozo’s…and its not even close. He beats Pitt, had a winning record every year except the one following Heacock….and ppl are like “yeah but defense” or “yeah but he couldn’t close”……as if it was better under the others…and if the program wasn’t in the morgue right now. So unreal.