PDA

View Full Version : David -vs- Goliath...............Good luck but be careful.

jstate83
August 31st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Rutgers and Louisville didn't play around last night.
Those were some tragic beatings taken last night by FCS members.

Louisville 70.............Murry St 10.xsmhx
Rutgers 38....................Buffalo 3. xsmhx

Especially for Murry St, was it worth it?xeekx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM
You forgot:

Cincinnatti 59, SEMO 3
L'ville 73, Murray State 10
Boise State 56, Weber St. 7
New Mexico State 35, Southeast Louisiana 14

And Buffalo is FBS.

Boise could have pounded Weber State more, but called off the dogs after the first half when it was 49-0.

To be fair Cincy, L'ville and Boise are very very good teams, two who are in the Big East (a BCS Conference) and Boise who we all know is now a very solid team. Wait until Central Arkansas goes against Louisiana Tech and Nicholls State takes on Rice... xtwocentsx

Ruler 79
August 31st, 2007, 10:09 AM
Lets not ignore the 10,000lbs GORILLA in the room known as MICHIGAN!!!!

TheValleyRaider
August 31st, 2007, 01:09 PM
2 things at work here:

1) They've seen what happens when you don't come out and step on the neck of David early and often. It wasn't going to happen to them.

2) If you've got a "weak schedule", you've got to pound it to make sure you compensate. Opening with an FCS team is "weak", so you got to make a statement.

Retro
August 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM
The only FCS team that had a chance based on their competition thursday night was SE Louisiana, but even they are not as good as the SELA teams of a couple of years ago... None of the FCS teams that played FBS were traditional FCS Power teams..

Saturday's game will be true measuring stick: App/Mich, YSU/OSU, Etc.

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2007, 02:06 PM
Rutgers and Louisville didn't play around last night.
Those were some tragic beatings taken last night by FCS members.

Louisville 70.............Murry St 10.xsmhx
Rutgers 38....................Buffalo 3. xsmhx

Especially for Murry St, was it worth it?xeekx

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1321447/2/istockphoto_1321447_lots_of_cash.jpg

maybe... :p

NE MT GRIZZ
August 31st, 2007, 02:16 PM
This morning on ESPN First Take, Jay Crawford (Douchebag) and Dana Jacobson, talked about the "inferior" teams that Michigan and Ohio St. start the season with.

Crawford is an Ohio St. fan. He at least gave Youngstown credit for being a 1-AA powerhouse.

I know it's unlikely, but I hope a miracle happens tomorrow.

I Bleed Purple
August 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
At least we didn't play Montana and have the score run up.

DetroitFlyer
August 31st, 2007, 02:55 PM
Did Murray State suffer any serious injuries? If not, then it was absolutely worth it! The kids got to play in a "big time" game in a "big time" stadium. The school got a big check that will certainly help offset football expenses. The first team of Murray State got to see a very high caliber and talented team. It should help them as they move into league play against much lower level teams.

One game a year like this is not so bad.... There will absolutely be similar blowouts, week in and week out during the season, in and out of conference, and life will go on!

Ruler 79
August 31st, 2007, 03:13 PM
I shudder to think of CCSU and Western Michigan...GULP! As it is now CCSU was smaller then Towson. Good God their AD must of been drunk to schedule this game. No disrespect to CCSU but if Louisville did this to Murray St I gotta think the results could be similar wirh the exception some CCSU kids could sustain injuries and ruin their season.

Weems
August 31st, 2007, 05:49 PM
i hope the UT Martin Southern Miss game doesn't end like our OVC foe, Murray State's. :(

travelinman67
August 31st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Did Murray State suffer any serious injuries? If not, then it was absolutely worth it! The kids got to play in a "big time" game in a "big time" stadium. The school got a big check that will certainly help offset football expenses. The first team of Murray State got to see a very high caliber and talented team. It should help them as they move into league play against much lower level teams.

One game a year like this is not so bad.... There will absolutely be similar blowouts, week in and week out during the season, in and out of conference, and life will go on!

Extremely well said, DF.xthumbsupx

FCS schools use their FBS "Big Dog" game as a drawing card during recruiting. A lot of FCS level recruits (or "questionable" FBS recruits looking at FCS schools), will lean towards an FCS program that gives them the opportunity to go play in the "big house" once in a while. More so, FBS/FCS crossover talent may consider leaning FCS where they are afforded more "job security" (i.e., better educational opportunities), giving them the best of both worlds. For FBS schools, they can use it, win or lose, as a motivational tool.
And even if the FCS team does take a shellac'ing, there's always the opportunity to pull a Davis-Stanford type "upset" that resonates within the community for years and years, and individually for the players to push themselves to new levels or "put one on" some "hyped" FBS "star".

Like DF says...it's all good.xnodx

BTW, re: the "FCS..." AP article republished in The Morning Call, LFN's right...that AP writer Russo's nothing but a chucklehead/nay-sayer better suited to reporting men's softball league results in the weekly "Pennysaver". xnodx xnodx xnodx