PDA

View Full Version : CCSU @ Towson

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Hats off to CCSU. They played a tough game. They can run the ball well and played a good game on defense. Towson looked flat. I really hope they are better than what I saw last night. But to be fair, two players were suspended from play, starting RB Nick Williams and starting DB Jimmy McClam, both seniors, did not suit up. The D-line really needs to step up and play better, they were getting pushed around a little too much. Tackling was poor and sloppy on Towson's side. On offense they appeared to run the ball more effectively in the second half. I would only give the O-line a "C", a couple missed assignments put CCSU in the game early. Schaefer played fairly well, 30/40 300yds 1/2. One interception was legitimate the other was a twice tipped ball. All in all he looked good, but like the rest of the team flat.
Highlights of the game, WR Tommy Breaux, 6-9 210 (also the starting power forward fro the Tigers) was clutch all night. He is going to be a hand full in the redzone this year. He stands out on the field at 6-9 but he can run like the wind and appears to have nice hands. On defense Jeremy Gardner a redshirt freshman filled in for the suspended senior McClam. And while CCSU is not a passing team, Gardner did provide sure tackling off the corner. He'll be a good one for a long time I think.

Basically, Towson needs to really step up if they want to compete in the CAA. The team I saw last night was not impressive, to say the least. xmadx

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 07:23 AM
I got down on the sideline and snapped a couple of pictures. I have to get a better digital camera, it didn't handle moving targets very well.

th0m
August 31st, 2007, 07:36 AM
Decent crowd and a very nice place you guys got there. I'd dare venture a guess you didn't draw to capacity though, as some papers were stating?

KAUMASS
August 31st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the update and pic's. I think two things happened last night-1-you guys may have been off a little, 2- I also think CConn is underrated and a very good team. They added some transfers and are up to 45 scholies now. Remember, they beat Georgia Southern @ Georgia Southern last year, and G.Southern took Appalachian to overtime.

Are you going to make the trip up to Amherst for the UMass game?

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Decent crowd and a very nice place you guys got there. I'd dare venture a guess you didn't draw to capacity though, as some papers were stating?

No, it was a good crowd though (for Towson :o ) 7,287 I think was the official number. The other side looked sparse.

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the update and pic's. I think two things happened last night-1-you guys may have been off a little, 2- I also think CConn is underrated and a very good team. They added some transfers and are up to 45 scholies now. Remember, they beat Georgia Southern @ Georgia Southern last year, and G.Southern took Appalachian to overtime.

Are you going to make the trip up to Amherst for the UMass game?
CCSU was very impressive. I have all the respect in the world for them. They came to play ball. xthumbsupx

I'd like to make it up to the UMass game, but it's on TV. xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
August 31st, 2007, 07:48 AM
No, it was a good crowd though (for Towson :o ) 7,287 I think was the official number. The other side looked sparse.

That is a nice crowd indeed, especially as it wasnt against a "glamerous" opponent. Good to see coach Gordy is doing well. I was recruited by him in the late 90's and got the impression he is a good man who takes care of his players.

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 08:01 AM
That is a nice crowd indeed, especially as it wasnt against a "glamerous" opponent. Good to see coach Gordy is doing well. I was recruited by him in the late 90's and got the impression he is a good man who takes care of his players.
He's a great guy. I was on the team when he took over the HC job. He completely turned the program around, several times.

Just don't piss him off though.

Franks Tanks
August 31st, 2007, 08:07 AM
He's a great guy. I was on the team when he took over the HC job. He completely turned the program around, several times.

Just don't piss him off though.

He sure has been through a lot of changes. D-III in Towson's early days all the way to fully funded I-AA ball in the 80's and early 90's back to non-scholly ball then over to whatever you consider the Patriot League. Finally back to fully funded FCS once again! Also i'm sure my timeline is messed up a bit there xlolx

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2007, 08:13 AM
Here's some of my thoughts:

Unitas Stadium - Great facility. I was very impresed. If the field didn't have a track it would be perfect!

Attendance - Was closer to what I expected. CCSU didn't bring much (maybe 250). Towson students packed their section for the first half, but were MIA for the second half in a close game - why?

Towson - I agre with Andy. Towson looked good, but not great. They had too many costly penalties (personal fouls) that extended CCSU drives. Schaefer is a talent! Great arm. He did have 3 turnovers (1 fumble and 2 INTs), but can spread it out (8 different receivers) and move the ball with ease (300+ yards). The WR are very, very good and may be underrated. That #85 was a superstar - granted he had 9 inches on the CCSU secondary - but he also had good hands. Towson passes to set up the run later in the game. The more effective the passing game is - the better the runniung game will be. I know you were missing a RB for that game, so it may improve. Overall you earned a win and that what counts. But I agree if you want to win the CAA South, TU needs some more work.

CCSU - Earned some more respect and its well deserved. CCSU is a young and small team compared to a CAA team like Towson. CCSU has only 22 schollys this year. Our QB siutation needs to be resolved. We have a very weak passing attack under our 1 and 2 QBs. We have a very good rush and option atack. The defense forced 3 TOs and played excellent in the Red Zone. Our secondary was very samll vs the Towson WRs, but played respectable giving up a lot of underneath stuff. CCSU is a good team, but is still a few seaons away from making a real run at the playoffs.

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
Here's some of my thoughts:

Unitas Stadium - Great facility. I was very impresed. If the field didn't have a track it would be perfect!
It was my first time being on FieldTurf, friggin amazing stuff. Walking on it its soft like real grass and dirt. Towson players were wearing screw in cleets on it. Wow! Is all I can say.

Attendance - Was closer to what I expected. CCSU didn't bring much (maybe 250). Towson students packed their section for the first half, but were MIA for the second half in a close game - why?
One word - beer.

Towson - I agre with Andy. Towson looked good, but not great. They had too many costly penalties (personal fouls) that extended CCSU drives. Schaefer is a talent! Great arm. He did have 3 turnovers (1 fumble and 2 INTs), but can spread it out (8 different receivers) and move the ball with ease (300+ yards). The WR are very, very good and may be underrated. That #85 was a superstar - granted he had 9 inches on the CCSU secondary - but he also had good hands. Towson passes to set up the run later in the game. The more effective the passing game is - the better the runniung game will be. I know you were missing a RB for that game, so it may improve. Overall you earned a win and that what counts. But I agree if you want to win the CAA South, TU needs some more work.
Tommy Breaux (#85) showed up last night. He surprised a lot of people. Good thing too, Hakeem Moore dislocated his ankle and is out for the season. xnonono2x

CCSU - Earned some more respect and its well deserved. CCSU is a young and small team compared to a CAA team like Towson. CCSU has only 22 schollys this year. Our QB siutation needs to be resolved. We have a very weak passing attack under our 1 and 2 QBs. We have a very good rush and option atack. The defense forced 3 TOs and played excellent in the Red Zone. Our secondary was very samll vs the Towson WRs, but played respectable giving up a lot of underneath stuff. CCSU is a good team, but is still a few seaons away from making a real run at the playoffs.
Your RB and QB worked well together. QB needs to work on throwing though. Everyones secondary is going to look small next to Breaux. Serious contention may be closer than you think. xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Yep, that place is a beauty!

I know CCSU is not a great "name" opponent, but with TU up just 10-7 at the half, I'd thing beer pong could wait an hour. That's pretty dissapointing.

#85 is unreal (6-7, I think), but I also think the rest of the WR corps looked good too. The CCSU secondary was averaging 5-11, while no TU WR was smaller than 6-0. Shaefer needs targets, and I think he has some!

Thanks. I think everyone who sees CCSU play will respect us. We have talent, but our O is struggling. The number 2 QB has a wierd throw (like Leftwitch, but not very accurate), but he runs like a horse. Our starter QB had just 4 passing attemps, so I blame the play calling for much of his failings.

We do have some bright spots and we should only get better. Good luck to Towson this year!

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 08:56 AM
Yep, that place is a beauty!

I know CCSU is not a great "name" opponent, but with TU up just 10-7 at the half, I'd thing beer pong could wait an hour. That's pretty dissapointing.

#85 is unreal (6-7, I think), but I also think the rest of the WR corps looked good too. The CCSU secondary was averaging 5-11, while no TU WR was smaller than 6-0. Shaefer needs targets, and I think he has some!

Thanks. I think everyone who sees CCSU play will respect us. We have talent, but our O is struggling. The number 2 QB has a wierd throw (like Leftwitch, but not very accurate), but he runs like a horse. Our starter QB had just 4 passing attemps, so I blame the play calling for much of his failings.

We do have some bright spots and we should only get better. Good luck to Towson this year!
Breaux is 6-9. He's the starting power forward on the basketball team.

Ivytalk
August 31st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Andy, even a bad W is better than no W!;) Congrats and best wishes for the rest of the season.

TigerFan17
August 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM
Lordy lordy lordy...we need to work out some kinks. I'm praying its 1st game jitters. CCSU came out to play.

This is why you have to give CCSU credit. We're a CAA team, and we knew that they were going to be running, and on full backfield plays where we know its like a 99.9% chance they were going to run they could still grind out 5-6 yards. Thats either a credit to their offense or a discredit to our D. Hopefully the first.

Breaux's big ass was unstoppable. Wanted to say an end-zone fade in the corner though. We tried once but it was play-action and took too long to develop. There were a few instances where he got one on one coverage outside in the red zone with about 9 inches on his defender...and he can leap (track and field guy)...do the math.

Schaefer's first pick had me writing off the season. One of the worst thrown balls I've seen in a while. Cleaned it up though.

I want Lock Haven back. :p

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 12:17 PM
xrolleyesx I want Navy!

TigerFan17
August 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM
xrolleyesx I want Navy!

I want the Twerps. xmadx

2011...xcoffeex

Seawolf97
August 31st, 2007, 07:51 PM
CCSU is always tough and I applaud them for last night. I hate to say it but if Hairston was still playing they might have won- he was a difference maker.
Good luck to CCSU and Towson in 2007!

BobbyMo
August 31st, 2007, 08:06 PM
CCSU is always tough and I applaud them for last night. I hate to say it but if Hairston was still playing they might have won- he was a difference maker.

That is a good point, Hariston was unreal. I was thinking to myself when reading the posts about CCSU's running game doing well in this game what they would have done with him.

Though pretty good showing for CCSU. Can't wait till tomorrow xnodx

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Lordy lordy lordy...we need to work out some kinks. I'm praying its 1st game jitters. CCSU came out to play.

This is why you have to give CCSU credit. We're a CAA team, and we knew that they were going to be running, and on full backfield plays where we know its like a 99.9% chance they were going to run they could still grind out 5-6 yards. Thats either a credit to their offense or a discredit to our D. Hopefully the first.

Breaux's big ass was unstoppable. Wanted to say an end-zone fade in the corner though. We tried once but it was play-action and took too long to develop. There were a few instances where he got one on one coverage outside in the red zone with about 9 inches on his defender...and he can leap (track and field guy)...do the math.

Schaefer's first pick had me writing off the season. One of the worst thrown balls I've seen in a while. Cleaned it up though.

Exactly! As a CCSU fan I was very frustrated we didn't even try to pass, but we were having some success on the ground. It seemed like we tried to run the clock out with our rushing game in the 2Q with a 7-3 lead ( a bad idea if you ask me). CCSU has like 12 ATTEMPS vefore our final 3:00 drive. With such a conservative offense I'm worried about our future.

Yes, we have a verty good OL and some backs that can run, so your defense wasn't that bad... but after hearing about Deware game last night, I suspect you guys have a lot of work to do.

I also think our D played much better than I expected. We forces Shaefer into 3 turnovers and you guys came away with just 10 points on 4 redzone opportunities. However, that 2:00 drill to end the first half was Payton-esq. That was some great composure.

Again, good luck for the rest of the season Tiger fans!