PDA

View Full Version : Coaches On the Hotseat

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2021, 12:25 PM
Wondering what coaches you are keeping tabs on as it relates to the "hot seat" as we get down the stretch. Have some folks to add to the listing?

I largely focus on the WAC and Southland, so these are the three coaches that come to mind. I do not know why Vic Shealy is continually given a long leash at Houston Baptist. Certainly he was involved in the startup of the program but we have kind of moved past that in the last few years and he's still not winning (winless this year). The Abilene Christian folks are really talking about Adam Dorrel being in a pressure cooker. He could finish strong these last few weeks and keep his job. Brad Laird, the folks in Natchitoches are getting antsy. He's had a rough go and is now 2-11 combined these last two years. He may get a fifth season due to COVID and being a "native son" so to speak, but the calls for his job will get louder with each passing week next season if he's given a pass into 2022.

Adam Dorrel, Abilene Christian (5th season)
18-30 Overall
11-16 Southland
1-0 Western Athletic

Brad Laird, Northwestern State (4th season)
10-26 Overall
9-19 Southland
* 2-11 combined in 2020/21

Vic Shealy, Houston Baptist (9th season)
19-66 Overall
6-47 Southland

DCWIU11
October 25th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Jared Elliot
Western Illinois University
8-29 into his 4th season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acbearkat
October 25th, 2021, 12:32 PM
I believe John Grass at Jacksonville State is done after the season. I would have had added Blaine Morgan to this list, but Lamar has looked much better in their last two games, and earlier I would have had Frank Wilson at McNeese on this list as well. If the Cowboys don't finish strong, Wilson could be done.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Lamar is VERY young. Morgan will get another year, minimum.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Mocs123
October 25th, 2021, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure if either will get the can, but from the SoCon Wofford's Josh Conklin and Samford's Chris Hatcher have seats that have to be getting a little warm.

Reign of Terrier
October 25th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Josh Conklin, Wofford.

First two seasons: 17-8, playoff win and two socon championships.

Last two: 2-10 (and counting).

He's a jerk from what I hear. People don't like him and he throws under the bus quite frequently. He's overseeing the longest losing streak Wofford's experienced in over 30 years. He lost the locker room a while ago when he started interviewing at others jobs.

At this rate, he will likely be below .500 overall by the end of this season. It will get much worse if he stays another year.

Dane96
October 25th, 2021, 12:40 PM
34-47 Overall
19-38 CAA
13-23 over the last four seasons, including 8-17 in the CAA

3 winning seasons out of 8 at the helm. 1 Winning season and 1 .500 Season in the CAA. Highest finish 2nd (against a weaker CAA / OCC schedule that year), average finish 9th of 12 teams.

It was going to take a bit to build in the CAA...but not this long. Solid facilities and good fan base when the team is palpably good (no doubt can average 7000+ without much effort).

One year left on his contract, though Albany has a history of letting contracts run out. Considering the AD went all-in on football, I would not be shocked if he makes the change this year. Currently 0-7, probably will finish anywhere from 1-10 to 2-9. 3-8 would be an achievement for this underachieving squad.

WestCoastAggie
October 25th, 2021, 12:45 PM
A couple of coaches in the Big South may end up with a warming seat if things don't turn around quickly.

Daytripper
There will be a lot of coaching changes now that Covid is diminishing. Texas Tech just fired Matt Wells. Dominoes are starting to fall.

Mocs123
I'm not sure exactly what Conklin's problem was. He won the SoCon his first two years, was ranked #11 starting the spring season and it's gone off the rails since then. I felt like he lost the team the middle of the spring and never recovered. It may have had nothing to do with this, but everything seems to go south when he tinkers with the offense.

I'm just convinced Hatcher is a .500 FCS Coach. His teams are always talented but inconsistent. They will beat one or two good teams, but lose some head scratchers too. Personally, I hope they give him a five year extension, but I think the Bulldog faithful are starting to lose patience with him.

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Gregg Gattuso, Albany
Unmitigated disaster.

Albany was a playoff team two years ago. Disappointing, but not a disaster.

Gattuso's record at Albany is 34-47 (.419). Compare this to Patriot League coaches:

Chesney (Holy Cross) : 20-15 (.571)
Dakosty (Colgate): 2-5 (.400)
Conlin (Fordham): 13-21 (.382)
Sgarlata (Georgetown): 22-44 (.333)
Garrett (Lafayette): 14-30 (.318)
Cecchini (Bucknell): 6-16 (.272)
Gilmore (Lehigh): 4-17 (.190)

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Rip Van Rocco

Mocs123
October 25th, 2021, 12:52 PM
The Patriot League, for whatever reason, chooses to be uncompetitive. They've had successful teams in the past but somewhere along the way decided they accepted mediocrity.

Reign of Terrier
October 25th, 2021, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure exactly what Conklin's problem was. He won the SoCon his first two years, was ranked #11 starting the spring season and it's gone off the rails since then. I felt like he lost the team the middle of the spring and never recovered. It may have had nothing to do with this, but everything seems to go south when he tinkers with the offense.

I'm just convinced Hatcher is a .500 FCS Coach. His teams are always talented but inconsistent. They will beat one or two good teams, but lose some head scratchers too. Personally, I hope they give him a five year extension, but I think the Bulldog faithful are starting to lose patience with him.

Our offense, believe it or not, was fine in the Spring. Scored 30 in 3 of 5 games. We brought back 18 starters or so this fall. Everyone points to the offense because they really want to push this narrative that little old Wofford can't win without the option, when it's the defense letting up over 440 yards per game and 200 on the ground. Our offense would probably have 7-10 more points per game (and it wouldn't be as much of a story) if our defense could get off the field and give them another possession per game.

Meanwhile, Conklin interviewed for the Illinois DC position in the winter/early spring, was a person of interest for the Tennessee DC position in February/March (someone even changed his wikipedia page to say he got the job!) and it came out in the offseason that he lobbied heavily for the USC job when some FOIA auditing (or something) revealed him emailing the president of USC.

Wofford is bad because Conklin's a bad leader, his defense is now horrible, and no one wants to fight for him.

crusader11
In the Patriot League --

Tom Gilmore at Lehigh is an interesting study, mostly because if he goes then Joe Sterett (Lehigh's AD) may go with him. Lehigh's roster is incredibly young, so I imagine TG will try and sell that to Sterret to try and get another year. If Lehigh can win a couple games down the stretch and build off of a nice showing at Fordham, I could see him coming back. Going 0-fer and I don't really see how he is retained.

Rob Sgarlata probably should be on the hot seat looking at his record (22-44, 8-25), but as long as he runs a clean program and remains somewhat competitive (i.e. the program doesn't become a total embarrassment in the league), it's hard to see him losing his job. He's also a Georgetown lifer having spent the past 30+ years there as a player, assistant, and now head coach.

John Garrett's seat should be warm at Lafayette (14-30, 12-11), but the Leopards do seem on an upward trajectory despite their 2-5 record.

Bucknell and Colgate are bad, but both of their coaches are safe.

Dane96
Albany was a playoff team two years ago. Disappointing, but not a disaster.

Gattuso's record at Albany is 34-47 (.419). Compare this to Patriot League coaches:

Chesney (Holy Cross) : 20-15 (.571)
Dakosty (Colgate): 2-5 (.400)
Conlin (Fordham): 13-21 (.382)
Sgarlata (Georgetown): 22-44 (.333)
Garrett (Lafayette): 14-30 (.318)
Cecchini (Bucknell): 6-16 (.272)
Gilmore (Lehigh): 4-17 (.190)

He had a lucky playoff year that year...totally lucky. He literally has so many resources...

Tosses coaches and players under the bus regularly. He was NOT the players council choice when chosen back in the day, there were concerns. His Duquense record is over inflated. His offenses are regularly exposed.

Mocs123
October 25th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Rocco? Hasn't he gone to the playoffs 5 times in the past 7 years? He can't be on the hot seat can he?

MR. CHICKEN
October 25th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Rocco? Hasn't he gone to the playoffs 5 times in the past 7 years? He can't be on the hot seat can he?

DELAWARE HAS BEEN TA DANCE TWICE....SINCE 2010's CHAMPIONSHIP GAME WHIFF E. WASHINGTON........DIS PAST SPRING SEASON & 2018.....WHERE WE DREW JMU IN FIRST ROUND.......ROCCO WAS HIRED FO' 2017 SEASON....BRAWK!

ROCCO ERA: 29-21.......DIS RECORD MAY WELL BE ACCEPTABLE @ NORTHERN COLORADO/SAMFORD........BUT IT'S UNDER-ACHIEVIN'..........IN NEW-ARK.......BRAWK!
2017 7-4
2018 7-5..................JMU 1st ROUND
2019 5-7
2020/21 7-1.............SEMI's FINAL 4
2021 3-4 TO DATE

HIS SEAT AIN'T HOT......BUT..............DUH ELECTRICIANS.....ARE WORKIN' ON DUH WIRING......................DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

...2017......PLAY-OFFS.....ROCCO WAS JOBBED BAH MARTY & NEW HAMPSHIRE........WHEN CHICKENS/WILDCATS HAD 7-4 RECORDS......NOD WENT TA CATS......FO' FBS DUBBYA OVERAH LIKE 2-10 GEORGIA SOUTHERN BUT DELAWARE'S SKED WAS RATED TOUGHER..........MARTY WAS PLACED IN WITNESS PROTECTION....SENT TA ARIZONA....WHERE HE RETRIEVES CARTS....AS UH COVER........BALLQUE!

Libertine
October 25th, 2021, 02:10 PM
* I have to think that Demario Warren at Southern Utah is feeling some heat. Started off strong but 2017 is practically a lifetime ago.
* I'd be curious about the feeling at UND about Schweigert. 2021 seems like a big step back for them.
* Stetson is probably not on the hot seat after just being hired in June but they're already firing assistant coaches which is really odd.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2021, 02:14 PM
I believe John Grass at Jacksonville State is done after the season. I would have had added Blaine Morgan to this list, but Lamar has looked much better in their last two games, and earlier I would have had Frank Wilson at McNeese on this list as well. If the Cowboys don't finish strong, Wilson could be done.

I think that JSU is a sweet job. Rabid fans, great recruiting area, lots of Auburn transfers, and a great band. I would say it's a top 10 FCS job. Grass has just underachieved. Somebody could go in there and win immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that JSU is a sweet job. Rabid fans, great recruiting area, lots of Auburn transfers, and a great band. I would say it's a top 10 FCS job. Grass has just underachieved. Somebody could go in there and win immediately.

Libertine
October 25th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, low down there, skipper. Let's not go overboard.

The band is average at best. xcoolx

(cue the angry barrage from JSUSoutherner in 3...2...1...)

acbearkat
October 25th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Abilene Christian is a difficult job. Granted, they just built a new football stadium, which is very nice, but with Tarleton State now FCS, they will have a tougher time recruiting Metroplex players.

Go Green
October 25th, 2021, 03:13 PM
The Ivy's proverbial hot seats are Ray Priore (Penn) and Dave Archer (Cornell).

Pards Rule
October 25th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Garrett is safe for the time being, He inherited a mess and is slowly turning it around. Impressive showings against Air Force and UNH help as does the two back to back wins vs Lehigh. However, clunkers like Harvard certainly dont.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2021, 04:22 PM
Abilene Christian is a difficult job. Granted, they just built a new football stadium, which is very nice, but with Tarleton State now FCS, they will have a tougher time recruiting Metroplex players.

Their academics are pretty tight. That will made is tough.

mvemjsunpx
October 25th, 2021, 05:32 PM
There are at least a few Big Sky head coaches whose seats are probably pretty warm right now, but it seems like most of their contracts run through next year.

Bruce Barnum, PORTST - He may possibly be in his contract year, but I can't find anything beyond his getting a 5-year extension in 2015 (that should've already expired). He's gone 15-38 since his national COTY season in 2015.

Paul Petrino, IDA - I think he's gonna get fired despite having another year. The fan base desperately wants him gone, the team plays like they don't care, and he's not very likeable (he is a Petrino, after all).

Rob Phenicie, IDST - He just got a 2-year extension in January. Idaho State also doesn't have a lot of money, so he's probably safe until next year. I wouldn't bet on him surviving after that, though.

Demario Warren, SUU - The T-Birds went from only being terrible in even-numbered years to just sucking every year. He's 6-31 since winning the conference in 2017, which is really bad. SUU may be willing to buy out the last year so they can start fresh in a new conference next season.

Cocky
October 25th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Grass is probably in line for an extension if JSU acts like they have in the past. Talk seeking championship but settle for someone who kisses administration ass.

ST_Lawson
October 25th, 2021, 06:58 PM
Jared Elliot
Western Illinois University
8-29 into his 4th season.

At this point, if he's not let go by the end of the day Monday following the end of the regular season, then the AD should be on the hot seat as well.
Also, that 8-29 record...5 of those wins were in his first year, when he stepped right into Charlie Fisher's shoes with Nielson and Fisher's players.
So, in the 2 and ~3/4 seasons since then, he's 3-23 so far, with really only one more actual chance at a win (Illinois State) this season.

It sucks, because, by all accounts, he's a great guy. He'd be fun to sit down and have a beer with while talking football. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to translate to success as a HC at the FCS level.

WIU is going to be a tough gig for anyone, but if someone is able to turn things around and find success here, that would be a huge plus on their resume.

ngineer
October 25th, 2021, 07:31 PM
The Patriot League, for whatever reason, chooses to be uncompetitive. They've had successful teams in the past but somewhere along the way decided they accepted mediocrity.

Patriot League made the mistake of going to the scholarship model and cannot recruit with it. Yes, they might be able to grab some excellent athletes that they would not get if based on 'need formulas', but they have not been able to get the numbers needed on a roster. PL does not allow redshirting, nor do they allow the mixing/matching with grant-in-aids. Instead of rosters in the upper 90's to low 100's, now lucky to have 80-90. With injuries, the depth is lacking. Fred Dunlap predicted this would happen ten years ago when this was being debated. As a result, the PL teams are now recruiting more nationally as the 'pond has gotten shallower and they have to go wider. It will be interesting to see if this issue gets revisted in the coming year or so. Fordham was pushing the scholarship model back in the last decade and threatened to walk if the model didn't change. Would they walk if the League reverted? If so, maybe the PL drops football and lets everyone fend for themselves to find new homes. The PL seems to have worked well for all the other 20+ sports, but football just doesn't seem to flourish in this model . It is the most expensive sport by far and if a 'full ride' is now worth $75K, on top of the equipment, staff sizes, etc. the comes a breaking point.

ngineer
October 25th, 2021, 07:41 PM
In the Patriot League --

Tom Gilmore at Lehigh is an interesting study, mostly because if he goes then Joe Sterett (Lehigh's AD) may go with him. Lehigh's roster is incredibly young, so I imagine TG will try and sell that to Sterret to try and get another year. If Lehigh can win a couple games down the stretch and build off of a nice showing at Fordham, I could see him coming back. Going 0-fer and I don't really see how he is retained.

Rob Sgarlata probably should be on the hot seat looking at his record (22-44, 8-25), but as long as he runs a clean program and remains somewhat competitive (i.e. the program doesn't become a total embarrassment in the league), it's hard to see him losing his job. He's also a Georgetown lifer having spent the past 30+ years there as a player, assistant, and now head coach.

John Garrett's seat should be warm at Lafayette (14-30, 12-11), but the Leopards do seem on an upward trajectory despite their 2-5 record.

If Lehigh continues to show improvement, like they did this past Saturday, Gilmore will be safe for another year. We are very young and that needs not be sold, because I am sure he has a 4-5 year contract based on what he was facing coming in. I don't see Lehigh terminating any coach mid-contract, unless for egregious misconduct. However, I would be surprised if the OC is still around next year. Now, if last Saturday was some kind of aberration, and we get slaughtered the rest of the way in, then anything is possible, but I don't see that happening.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2021, 07:55 PM
If Lehigh continues to show improvement, like they did this past Saturday, Gilmore will be safe for another year. We are very young and that needs not be sold, because I am sure he has a 4-5 year contract based on what he was facing coming in. I don't see Lehigh terminating any coach mid-contract, unless for egregious misconduct. However, I would be surprised if the OC is still around next year. Now, if last Saturday was some kind of aberration, and we get slaughtered the rest of the way in, then anything is possible, but I don't see that happening.

If Gilmore goes 2-9 or worse he hoepfully is forced out. IMO, a season ending loss to Lafayette (he'd be 0-3 against the 'Pards) would be enough to get the momentum to the point where he is sent packing.

This past weekend was an aberration and this Saturday against Chesney and HC will once again show what a hack Gilmore is. Fordham's performance against HC will further drive home that point. I don't think Fordham took the game serious until they had to (given just awful Lehigh has been I get it). Lehigh did what bad teams do, missed easy fg's terrible play calling inside the 10, terrible defense when it mattered etc. Lehigh's losing streak is at 14 games (soon to be 15) that people are so disillusioned what "success" and progress is...

Gilmore is a loser and needs to go. The sooner the better...

Puddin Tane
October 25th, 2021, 08:00 PM
Lamar is VERY young. Morgan will get another year, minimum.

ive got the ole point-counterpoint

-yes, we are crazy young. 80 freshmen on the roster. Schultz had turned us into juco u. Morgan has run off almost everyone from schultz era (or they transferred to W. Illinois)

————
- now, i dont care how many freshmen we have, the first ACU game we were blown outta of the water. Thats is unacceptable under ANY circumstances.

-he stays with military school style offense, hes toast. Nobody wants to watch that **** if youre good, much less if youre bad. Our attendance reflects that.

-every qb that wasnt “dual threat” left. We have one kid that can throw a spiral and he got hurt vs UCA.

-half of his first recruiting class is gone. His guys. Dunno why.

-the defense actually has some upperclassmen. They were non existent last game. Uca coulda rushed for 600 yards, but their dimwit coach started throwing when they didnt need to. And the excuse they were on the field too much dont work for that game.

-you never hear a dang thing from Morgan, Lu, media relations. He either doesnt talk or nobody wants to interview

rumor from a rumor from a rumor…heard he wants out. Dunno if theres an ounce of truth to it.

dgtw
October 25th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Supposedly, this is the last year of Grass’ contract so they can fire him for free.

I certainly hope he is gone. He did get to Frisco but that was six years ago. Outside of that season he has two playoff wins, one against a Pioneer League team and another was a comeback win over a fourth year program in its first playoff game.

He got fat beating up a crap OVC but they seemed to be catching up to him.

This year we are 3-4. We are three plays away from being 0-7. We beat Florida State on a 60 yard touchdown pass on the last play of the game. We beat UNA 27-24 in a game where we had two defensive touchdowns, including a 100 yard fumble return. We beat SFA 28-24 with a defensive TD and another drive that started on their 12.

Three of our losses were blowouts. The closest was a three point loss to UTM.

Hopefully a new coach comes in and cleans house. If we get a FBS call up, Grass is not the man to lead us to the next level. He has done well overall, but things aren’t getting better.

Catbooster
October 26th, 2021, 03:33 AM
There are at least a few Big Sky head coaches whose seats are probably pretty warm right now, but it seems like most of their contracts run through next year.

Bruce Barnum, PORTST - He may possibly be in his contract year, but I can't find anything beyond his getting a 5-year extension in 2015 (that should've already expired). He's gone 15-38 since his national COTY season in 2015.

Paul Petrino, IDA - I think he's gonna get fired despite having another year. The fan base desperately wants him gone, the team plays like they don't care, and he's not very likeable (he is a Petrino, after all).

Rob Phenicie, IDST - He just got a 2-year extension in January. Idaho State also doesn't have a lot of money, so he's probably safe until next year. I wouldn't bet on him surviving after that, though.

Demario Warren, SUU - The T-Birds went from only being terrible in even-numbered years to just sucking every year. He's 6-31 since winning the conference in 2017, which is really bad. SUU may be willing to buy out the last year so they can start fresh in a new conference next season.
Does Petrino still make his FBS salary? I haven't heard of him taking a pay cut but I haven't really been paying attention. It sticks in my mind that he was paid over 900k when they were FBS and I'm fairly sure I read that it wasn't cut when they dropped back to FCS but that was several years ago.

mvemjsunpx
October 26th, 2021, 04:31 AM
Does Petrino still make his FBS salary? I haven't heard of him taking a pay cut but I haven't really been paying attention. It sticks in my mind that he was paid over 900k when they were FBS and I'm fairly sure I read that it wasn't cut when they dropped back to FCS but that was several years ago.

He is still making his FBS salary, as far as I can tell. It went up slightly in the 2017 extension. He wasn't making anywhere near $900k, though—it's around $400k including the media deal.

Daytripper
October 26th, 2021, 07:20 AM
There will be a lot of coaching changes now that Covid is diminishing. Texas Tech just fired Matt Wells. Dominoes are starting to fall.

I'm thinking that UIW's Eric Morris may get a close look for the TT job. He's built the Cardinals from nothing and is a Red Raider alum.

acbearkat
October 26th, 2021, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking that UIW's Eric Morris may get a close look for the TT job. He's built the Cardinals from nothing and is a Red Raider alum.

As offensive coordinator maybe, but not head coach. Tech is likely to hire either Sonny Dykes or Jeff Traylor. My money would be on Traylor. I think Dykes wants the job, but will have better opportunities elsewhere.

Iridebikes
October 26th, 2021, 08:20 AM

Yea, I was wondering about Petrino myself. Having stepped down to FCS and with the resources available at UI he has not developed a winning program yet and even their competitiveness is questionable. Have to think that its time for him to move on.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2021, 08:25 AM

DELAWARE HAS BEEN TA DANCE TWICE....SINCE 2010's CHAMPIONSHIP GAME WHIFF E. WASHINGTON........DIS PAST SPRING SEASON & 2018.....WHERE WE DREW JMU IN FIRST ROUND.......ROCCO WAS HIRED FO' 2017 SEASON....BRAWK!

ROCCO ERA: 29-21.......DIS RECORD MAY WELL BE ACCEPTABLE @ NORTHERN COLORADO/SAMFORD........BUT IT'S UNDER-ACHIEVIN'..........IN NEW-ARK.......BRAWK!
2017 7-4
2018 7-5..................JMU 1st ROUND
2019 5-7
2020/21 7-1.............SEMI's FINAL 4
2021 3-4 TO DATE

HIS SEAT AIN'T HOT......BUT..............DUH ELECTRICIANS.....ARE WORKIN' ON DUH WIRING......................DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

...2017......PLAY-OFFS.....ROCCO WAS JOBBED BAH MARTY & NEW HAMPSHIRE........WHEN CHICKENS/WILDCATS HAD 7-4 RECORDS......NOD WENT TA CATS......FO' FBS DUBBYA OVERAH LIKE 2-10 GEORGIA SOUTHERN BUT DELAWARE'S SKED WAS RATED TOUGHER..........MARTY WAS PLACED IN WITNESS PROTECTION....SENT TA ARIZONA....WHERE HE RETRIEVES CARTS....AS UH COVER........BALLQUE!

If Dixie comes in and beats Delaware, I hope the powers don’t continue to “look away” Mr C

Rocco is even killing the enthusiasm of the die hards

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2021, 08:41 AM
.....AS AH PERUSE....DUH TRAILBLAZER SKED.......BESIDES DUH FORT LEWIS GAME.........YOU-DEE........IS DUH WEAKEST LINK........IN DIXIE LAND....ITINERARY.......AFTERAH NEW-ARK......IT'S SAM HOUSTON.....MAYBEAH DEY PICK UP UH DELAWARE HAT......FO' KEELER...xcoolx..... IN DEY'RE VISIT HERE.....AN' FINISH WHIFF.....MISSOURI STATE......BRALLQUE!

...HEY ROCCO.......WATCH OUT FO'....FAKE FG's...........DEY HAVE BIZONSSSSS ON DUH GOURD GUARDS.......AWQUE!!

Rjones61
October 26th, 2021, 08:48 AM
Ed McCaffrey of Northern Colorado.

Check out this glowing thread of his performance thus far.

https://bigskyfans.com/uncbears/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4523&sid=83371fbf97760352120dc189a2ba0bf0

acbearkat
October 26th, 2021, 08:55 AM
* I have to think that Demario Warren at Southern Utah is feeling some heat. Started off strong but 2017 is practically a lifetime ago.
* I'd be curious about the feeling at UND about Schweigert. 2021 seems like a big step back for them.
* Stetson is probably not on the hot seat after just being hired in June but they're already firing assistant coaches which is really odd.

Apparently, Stetson's offensive coordinator was fired over a speeding ticket, which is odd to say the least.

Division I coordinator fired following speeding ticket - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/division-i-coordinator-fired-following-speeding-ticket)

mvemjsunpx
October 26th, 2021, 09:19 AM

https://bigskyfans.com/uncbears/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4523&sid=83371fbf97760352120dc189a2ba0bf0

McCaffrey still has at least 3 years on his contract, though. He's not getting fired this season unless NoCo lucks into a "for cause" justification.

Libertine
October 26th, 2021, 10:12 AM
Apparently, Stetson's offensive coordinator was fired over a speeding ticket, which is odd to say the least.

Division I coordinator fired following speeding ticket - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/division-i-coordinator-fired-following-speeding-ticket)

I just saw that. That's shaaaaaaaaady. Something else is going on there.

Libertine
October 26th, 2021, 10:18 AM

There is zero chance McCaffrey gets fired after Year 1. At the FCS level, it takes some egregious shenanigans or mismanagement to change over an entire coaching staff this early and a flying clipboard doesn't qualify.

Katfan
October 26th, 2021, 12:13 PM
Grass is probably in line for an extension if JSU acts like they have in the past. Talk seeking championship but settle for someone who kisses administration ass.
And a big raise!

Mocs123
October 26th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Personally I hope Grass gets and extension and a raise! Then I would just have to stroll on over to the JSU message boards and watch the meltdown!

Puddin Tane
October 26th, 2021, 12:44 PM

thats a badddd football team

acbearkat
October 26th, 2021, 01:32 PM
ive got the ole point-counterpoint

-yes, we are crazy young. 80 freshmen on the roster. Schultz had turned us into juco u. Morgan has run off almost everyone from schultz era (or they transferred to W. Illinois)

————
- now, i dont care how many freshmen we have, the first ACU game we were blown outta of the water. Thats is unacceptable under ANY circumstances.

-he stays with military school style offense, hes toast. Nobody wants to watch that **** if youre good, much less if youre bad. Our attendance reflects that.

-every qb that wasnt “dual threat” left. We have one kid that can throw a spiral and he got hurt vs UCA.

-half of his first recruiting class is gone. His guys. Dunno why.

-the defense actually has some upperclassmen. They were non existent last game. Uca coulda rushed for 600 yards, but their dimwit coach started throwing when they didnt need to. And the excuse they were on the field too much dont work for that game.

-you never hear a dang thing from Morgan, Lu, media relations. He either doesnt talk or nobody wants to interview

rumor from a rumor from a rumor…heard he wants out. Dunno if theres an ounce of truth to it.

If a change was to happen in Beaumont, I would target two coaches, Joey McGuire at Baylor and Corby Meekins at UH. McGuire was a successful high school head coach at Cedar Hill High School, and has been on the Baylor staff since 2017. Meekins was highly successful at Spring Westfield, and has spent time at both UT and UH as an assistant (he's currently at UH). With Meekins being a Sam Houston alum, there might be some reluctance to hire him. I think either one of them would be a good hire and both have extensive ties to high school coaches in the state, which would help Lamar when it comes to recruiting.

SU DOG
October 26th, 2021, 06:03 PM

And I hope Rusty Wright get a FBS job and UTC rehires Rodney Allison, so there! Some interesting info that you might not know is that Coach Hatcher was not hired by our AD. Coach Sullivan hand picked him, and our AD was not even on the so-called search committee. How bizarre is it that a FCS HC after his 5th season at his school wins ONE D-1 ball game, has a 3-9 record, and gets hired to a better job without any input from the new school's AD? That is one for the FCS history books I am sure.

Mocs123
October 26th, 2021, 06:51 PM
I actually thought Hatcher was a good hire for Samford at the time. I thought he was kind of a round peg in a square hole at Georgia Southern, but thought he'd be successful at Samford. It seems like every year Samford seems like one of the most talented in the league and underachieves. It's not like he hasn't done some good things there, but I don't think he's going to make the Bulldogs a perennial playoff contender.

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2021, 09:05 PM
In the Patriot League --

Garrett is not going anywhere - his record in the conference gets better each season (somehow) and he has beaten Lehigh two straight years.

McNeese75
October 27th, 2021, 02:26 AM

Frank Wilson is not going anywhere.

acbearkat
October 31st, 2021, 08:56 PM
Blaine Morgan needs to go. Lamar had an ugly 42-10 loss yesterday to Eastern Kentucky. It’s time for triple option experiment to end.

Libertine
November 1st, 2021, 09:44 AM
OFFICIAL: Donald Hill-Eley is out at Alabama State.

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/11/01/alabama-state-announces-change-head-football-coach/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wbrc

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - Alabama State University has announced it is making a change to its head football coach.On Monday, ASU Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Jason Cable announced Donald Hill-Eley would no longer serve in the head coach position. Defensive coordinator Travis Pearson will serve as the interim head coach for the remainder of the season. “We want to thank coach Eley for his seven years of service and commitment to Alabama State and wish him the best in the future,” Cable said. Eley went 20-21 in four-plus seasons while at ASU, including 3-4 this season following a loss in the Magic City Classic on Saturday. He took over the program in the fall of 2017 after an 0-5 start, leading the Hornets to a 5-1 record in their final six games of that season.

walliver
November 1st, 2021, 11:28 AM
I actually thought Hatcher was a good hire for Samford at the time. I thought he was kind of a round peg in a square hole at Georgia Southern, but thought he'd be successful at Samford. It seems like every year Samford seems like one of the most talented in the league and underachieves. It's not like he hasn't done some good things there, but I don't think he's going to make the Bulldogs a perennial playoff contender.

Hatcher has been an enigma during most of his FCS tenure. Every season he has 1-3 head-scratching losses most memorable was their 15-14 loss to ETSU in the Bucs first season back in the SoCon when Samford was ranked 18th and ETSU was 1-6 in the conference going into the game.

He did a great job in Valdosta, but struggled in Statesboro where he had better facilities and support.

CockyGeek
November 1st, 2021, 02:28 PM
John Grass has moved from Hot to Pants on Fire. His post game press conferences thinking they are actually competitive are delusional.

Mocs123
November 1st, 2021, 02:55 PM
Can you wait and fire John Grass until after September 9th 2023? We really need a win in that series!

blackbeard
November 1st, 2021, 04:14 PM
Hatcher was a terrible hire and has under achieved throughout his tenure. His hire was a final power move by former HC Pat Sullivan and an effort to retain his defensive staff. Samford interviewed better candidates last time and can certainly do better if they try.

ST_Lawson
November 1st, 2021, 05:35 PM
I sure hope our win over Illinois State on Saturday didn't save our coaching staff's jobs. 1 win...2 wins...it's still a pretty bad season.

Puddin Tane
November 1st, 2021, 09:54 PM
Blaine Morgan needs to go. Lamar had an ugly 42-10 loss yesterday to Eastern Kentucky. It’s time for triple option experiment to end.

maybe he’ll quit

acbearkat
November 1st, 2021, 09:56 PM
maybe he’ll quit

Here’s the issue. I don’t believe Lamar’s administration cares much about athletics. Go look at the baseball program as an example. Will Davis needs to go, but Lamar refuses to show him the door.

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2021, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=acbearkat;3008887]Blaine Morgan needs to go. Lamar had an ugly 42-10 loss yesterday to Eastern Kentucky. It’s time for triple option experiment to end.

....GET ONE UH DEM...FORMER.....GOOD OL' BOYS FROM G. SOUTHERN....TA TEACH DAT TRIPLE O' RELIGION....&..COUPLE JUGS...DAT MAGIC CRICK WA-WA....AN' SOME PESKY GNATS.....BRAWK!

CockyGeek
November 2nd, 2021, 07:31 AM
EKU will probably put 40 on JSU too.

Catatonic
November 2nd, 2021, 08:46 AM
Wondering what coaches you are keeping tabs on as it relates to the "hot seat" as we get down the stretch. Have some folks to add to the listing?

I largely focus on the WAC and Southland, so these are the three coaches that come to mind. I do not know why Vic Shealy is continually given a long leash at Houston Baptist. Certainly he was involved in the startup of the program but we have kind of moved past that in the last few years and he's still not winning (winless this year). The Abilene Christian folks are really talking about Adam Dorrel being in a pressure cooker. He could finish strong these last few weeks and keep his job. Brad Laird, the folks in Natchitoches are getting antsy. He's had a rough go and is now 2-11 combined these last two years. He may get a fifth season due to COVID and being a "native son" so to speak, but the calls for his job will get louder with each passing week next season if he's given a pass into 2022.

Adam Dorrel, Abilene Christian (5th season)
18-30 Overall
11-16 Southland
1-0 Western Athletic

Brad Laird, Northwestern State (4th season)
10-26 Overall
9-19 Southland
* 2-11 combined in 2020/21

Vic Shealy, Houston Baptist (9th season)
19-66 Overall
6-47 Southland
Dorrel is all but gone.

Catatonic
November 2nd, 2021, 08:53 AM
Their academics are pretty tight. That will made is tough.

Academics, location, and required chapel add to the challenge at ACU. Dorrel didn’t help matters though by hiring staff that had no experience recruiting Texas.

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2021, 12:02 PM
Academics, location, and required chapel add to the challenge at ACU. Dorrel didn’t help matters though by hiring staff that had no experience recruiting Texas.

That was one of the things that Keeler learned. None of his coordinators have had Texas ties, but he always has a few position coaches that either know Texas well or actually played at Sam Houston. He has always said that the three hour radius around Huntsville encompasses the best High School football talent in the nation.

F'N Hawks
November 2nd, 2021, 12:19 PM
Seat is getting hot in Grand Forks as well. But Bubba has two more years left on contract so he will be there for one more at least.

Libertine
November 4th, 2021, 12:33 PM
Not FCS anymore but FCS-adjacent, I guess...

...former UTC coach Tom Arth has been fired (https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2021/11/04/university-akron-football-coach-wont-finish-season-tom-arth/6276487001/) at Akron after going 3-24 in year 3.

Mocs123
November 4th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Not FCS anymore but FCS-adjacent, I guess...

...former UTC coach Tom Arth has been fired (https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2021/11/04/university-akron-football-coach-wont-finish-season-tom-arth/6276487001/) at Akron after going 3-24 in year 3.

If JSU fans really want to get rid of Grass, it looks like Arth is available. He has FBS experience. Oh, yeah, and he was once Payton Manning's backup for the Colts.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Seat is getting hot in Grand Forks as well. But Bubba has two more years left on contract so he will be there for one more at least.

I've been really disappointed with UND's inability to take the next step as a program. Hopefully, a change for the better happens in Grand Forks...

CockyGeek
November 4th, 2021, 01:23 PM
Umm.. Arth seems like a huge step down from Grass even.

Puddin Tane
November 4th, 2021, 01:24 PM
JSU upcoming throttling of LU will save his job!

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Todd Arth is solely responsible for putting UTC back 4-5 years. People are mad at Conklin at Wofford right now but Arth is like 4x as bad as him because the collapse happened almost instantly after Huesman left.

TribeNomad1
November 4th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Todd Arth is solely responsible for putting UTC back 4-5 years. People are mad at Conklin at Wofford right now but Arth is like 4x as bad as him because the collapse happened almost instantly after Huesman left.

Not sure Huesman is the man right now at UR either.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Not sure Huesman is the man right now at UR either.

Yeah, that was curious to me. He's a good coach too...he turned UTC around when they were a laughing stock

Mocs123
November 4th, 2021, 01:43 PM
To be honest it seemed like Delaware hiring Rucco and Richmond hiring Huesman were rock solid moves, but I'm not sure either has been as successful as we would have guessed at the time as both had been leading top 10 FCS programs. As for Arth, he was a bad hire from the start. The runner up for the job when Chattanooga hired Arth - Jamey Chadwell from CSU and now at Coastal Carolina.

Libertine
November 4th, 2021, 01:50 PM
The runner up for the job when Chattanooga hired Arth - Jamey Chadwell from CSU and now at Coastal Carolina.

If it makes you feel any better, Jamey Chadwell was the runner up for a LOT of jobs when he was at CSU.

F'N Hawks
November 4th, 2021, 01:51 PM
I've been really disappointed with UND's inability to take the next step as a program. Hopefully, a change for the better happens in Grand Forks...

You and alot of people. Close isn't going to cut it.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2021, 06:36 PM
To be honest it seemed like Delaware hiring Rucco and Richmond hiring Huesman were rock solid moves, but I'm not sure either has been as successful as we would have guessed at the time as both had been leading top 10 FCS programs. As for Arth, he was a bad hire from the start. The runner up for the job when Chattanooga hired Arth - Jamey Chadwell from CSU and now at Coastal Carolina.

Delaware fans have seen enough of Rip Van Rocco, please just send him to the foothills of Pennsylvania where he can continue his 20 year nap at Lehigh

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Delaware fans have seen enough of Rip Van Rocco, please just send him to the foothills of Pennsylvania where he can continue his 20 year nap at Lehigh

Ohh hell no! Lehigh is 2-0 against Rocco. Saw enough of him in 2011 and 2012. The next coach at Lehigh should be Kutztown's Jim Clements imo....

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2021, 07:55 PM
Ohh hell no! Lehigh is 2-0 against Rocco. Saw enough of him in 2011 and 2012. The next coach at Lehigh should be Kutztown's Jim Clements imo....

Smart move, keep him out

HAL_9000
November 5th, 2021, 03:17 AM
I sure hope our win over Illinois State on Saturday didn't save our coaching staff's jobs. 1 win...2 wins...it's still a pretty bad season.

I think the only conceivable way for Coach Elliot and staff to get an extension is if they win the last two games (he won't) WIU has prob a 20% chance of beating USD at home and I'd say about a 5% of taking down UNI in the dome.

I honestly just think that Elliot would be a big asset elsewhere in an assistant capacity.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2021, 08:46 AM
HERE YA GO CARIB...........................BRAWK!

.....PER NEWS JOURNAL DIS AM:

DELAWARE AMONGST TOP 3 SPENDERS IN FCS (7.7 MIL)
DELAWARE NOT LIKELY TA FOLLOW JMU...TA FBS-VILLE
ATTENDANCE 54 YEAR LOW AGIN' DIXIE STATE.......WHICH HAD UH HAIL MARY SHOT....@ HENS!!!
ROCCO HAS 5YR CONTRACT/1 YEAR EXTENSION INTA 2022
ROCCO....LUGGED HOME $588,198...IN 2019.....AMONST HIGHEST PAID

https://wilmingtonnewsjournal-de.newsmemory.com/?token=e49b5ab5ee5fe5f52eb8642ec1183852&cnum=c47ae7f4-a894-e311-a3e7-d067e5fdcf96&fod=1111111STD-0&selDate=20211105&licenseType=paid_subscriber&

GO TA B SPORTS...FO' ARTICLE...CAIN'T MAKE LINK WORK.....AWK!

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2021, 09:17 AM
HERE YA GO CARIB...........................BRAWK!

.....PER NEWS JOURNAL DIS AM:

DELAWARE AMONGST TOP 3 SPENDERS IN FCS (7.7 MIL)
DELAWARE NOT LIKELY TA FOLLOW JMU...TA FBS-VILLE
ATTENDANCE 54 YEAR LOW AGIN' DIXIE STATE.......WHICH HAD UH HAIL MARY SHOT....@ HENS!!!
ROCCO HAS 5YR CONTRACT/1 YEAR EXTENSION INTA 2022
ROCCO....LUGGED HOME $588,198...IN 2019.....AMONST HIGHEST PAID

https://wilmingtonnewsjournal-de.newsmemory.com/?token=e49b5ab5ee5fe5f52eb8642ec1183852&cnum=c47ae7f4-a894-e311-a3e7-d067e5fdcf96&fod=1111111STD-0&selDate=20211105&licenseType=paid_subscriber&

GO TA B SPORTS...FO' ARTICLE...CAIN'T MAKE LINK WORK.....AWK!

next 3 games should seal Rip Van Rocco’s Fate

A one year buyout shouldn’t be that expensive or complicated

Daytripper
November 5th, 2021, 09:39 AM
next 3 games should seal Rip Van Rocco’s Fate

A one year buyout shouldn’t be that expensive or complicated

Rocco's lack of success is puzzling. As the article mentions, he as all the resources he could need at the FCS level. His history of success also should carry over.

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2021, 09:44 AM
Rocco's lack of success is puzzling. As the article mentions, he as all the resources he could need at the FCS level. His history of success also should carry over.

Recruiting recruiting recruiting.... it ain't rocket science

just need more talented and athletic players (Joe C)

losing Nolan Henderson didn’t help but stubborn Rocco had no back up plan and Henderson has been very injury prone

Libertine
November 5th, 2021, 10:41 AM

I'm just going to point out that UD was undefeated back in the spring and went to the FCS semi's. That was literally less than six months ago.

DFW HOYA
November 5th, 2021, 11:06 AM
There are relatively few FCS coaches on any hot seat. The trend is markedly different up at FBS, where schools see the mid-year firing as giving them a leg up on getting in front of candidates and resetting the recruiting situation of a lame duck coach. Firing Ed Orgeron was no big shock to recruits, but cutting Gary Patterson after 20 years sends a message.

I could see two or three more coaches getting an early exit before the end of the season.

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2021, 11:11 AM
I'm just going to point out that UD was undefeated back in the spring and went to the FCS semi's. That was literally less than six months ago.

Seeing the 300 or so people in the East stands last Saturday tells me the fan base was not impressed

Rocco, coming of a bad 2019, used his planning and HR skills to navigate the spring season meaning all the off field issues that Covid caused, The team played inspired and aggressive football on Defense and Rocco needed a big spring season and he got it. Playoff run buoyed by a great draw getting Sacred Heart and Jacksonville st. South Dak St dominated us.

2021 fall season has seen the defense go back to read and react and allowing opposing QBs to have all the time in the world to beat you.... He’s had injuries this fall for sure but his stubbornness and play not to lose mentality is running people out of the building. His recruiting has been nothing to write home about either

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2021, 11:52 AM

...YOU-DEE'S DUBBYA'S....SPRINGTIME...ANOMALY......MAINE/STONY/RHODEY/'NOVA....OOC DEL. STATE.......EXCEPTION UH 'NOVA....THOSE TEAMS WEREN'T GOOD THEN/NOW.......SACRED HEART'S ONE DIMENSIONAL..CHESTNUT RIGHT- LEFT- UP DA MIDDLE......AN' JAX STATE WHIFF OUT STARTIN' QB.....WHOM NEARLY BEAT US DESPITE HENS CONTROLLIN' GAME FO' 3 3/4 Q'S....WAS UH PERFECT STORM.......O' WINS...IN PLAYOFFS.......MISSED ALBANY/NEW HAMPSHIRE...... AN' JMU WAS NOT ON SKED........30/21....IN ROCCO'S DURATION SO FAR.......DAT'S JES' MIDDLE UH ROAD....IN UH DOWN CAA CONFERENCE.....AWQ!

Cocky
November 6th, 2021, 02:14 PM
Grass reported to be stepping down at seasons end.

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Grass reported to be stepping down at seasons end.
​I AM SO HAPPY!

https://twitter.com/StarJaxState/status/1457046382515310592?t=v1f0fCZKXC3S7g4rnbxnaQ&s=19

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2021, 02:22 PM
I hope Conklin steps down after this season, but we're doomed because he won't. We're less than 30 minutes of game time from clinching Wofford's worst FCS season ever. Historic!

CockyGeek
November 6th, 2021, 02:32 PM
Gamecock football should improve by leaps and bounds if they actually replace the rest of the coaching staff. This merry band of idiots has lost the team.

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Can you wait and fire John Grass until after September 9th 2023? We really need a win in that series!
Not sure this game is happening anymore.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Coach Jared Elliott will no longer be the HC of the Western Illinois University Fighting Leathernecks as of the end of the season.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2021/11/9/wiu-football-program-update.aspx

From everything I’ve heard and seen from him, he’s an exceptionally good guy, the kind of guy who’d be great to have a drink and talk football with, but unfortunately that just didn’t translate to wins on the field. I hope he finds a great landing spot for him and his family.

CockyGeek
November 9th, 2021, 05:58 PM
WIU on the move?

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2021, 06:26 PM
WIU on the move?

Not that I’ve heard. 4 wins over 3 seasons just isn’t going to do it. Time to move on and see if someone else can make it work.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2021, 06:37 PM
Coach Jared Elliott will no longer be the HC of the Western Illinois University Fighting Leathernecks as of the end of the season.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2021/11/9/wiu-football-program-update.aspx

From everything I’ve heard and seen from him, he’s an exceptionally good guy, the kind of guy who’d be great to have a drink and talk football with, but unfortunately that just didn’t translate to wins on the field. I hope he finds a great landing spot for him and his family.

What is WIU's ceiling in the MVFC? The WIU gig has appeared to have gotten tougher over the years given the school's resources relative to the financial issues that plague Illinois higher-ed. SIU and Illinois State seem to have weathered it a little better given their more *ideal* position within the state's pecking order.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2021, 08:29 PM
What is WIU's ceiling in the MVFC? The WIU gig has appeared to have gotten tougher over the years given the school's resources relative to the financial issues that plague Illinois higher-ed. SIU and Illinois State seem to have weathered it a little better given their more position within the state's pecking order.

I would say that something resembling the current state of SIU football is probably about right for our ceiling at this point. SIU coach Nick Hill was making $185k up until this summer (when he got bumped up to $211k), and our coach was making $170k this year, so we're in the ballpark salary-wise.

Obviously the state financial situation did no favors to any of non-flagship public universities in the state, and both WIU and SIU-Carbondale got hit pretty hard with enrollment drops due to a perceived lack of stability. SIU-C lost 43.15 of their students in the last decade, and WIU lost 40.62%, however both schools have done well at stopping the decline, essentially holding enrollment steady this fall as opposed to the previous fall. The state financial situation is definitely on the upswing and state funding is holding steady from the previous year. We're both fairly small public schools in fairly rural "downstate" towns, so there's a lot of similarities there as well.

On the football front, SIU and WIU have both had "swings" of success interspersed with some rough patches at times, but I think with the right coach and a couple of years of rebuilding, we could be back in the playoffs and challenge the top teams in the conference. We're not a state "flagship", so I don't think we'll ever get the investment or resources that a school like NDSU does, but if you look at how close we were in games against some really good teams like Eastern Washington and SIU, I feel like it wouldn't really take much to turn things around in terms of on-field success.

I'll admit, WIU is not generally an easy place to recruit to, but the right coach can make it work. I don't know that we have to stick as close to the "Nick Hill" mold as hiring someone who is an alumni of the program (although we do have a former star QB who is doing well in the coaching ranks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Hecklinski)), but hopefully we can replicate their recent rise.

HAL_9000
November 10th, 2021, 08:13 PM
Sad that Western didn't have a "sister" school to divert 10s of millions of dollars from.

SIUE is autonomous in almost every conceivable way, yet SIUC did divert 10s of millions from E to C about 5 years ago. So that's pretty cool for SIUC. I think in most cases that would be called embezzling money.

EIU, was in dire straits 'bout eight years ago, they turned it around. I think with EIU they became the tweener between juco and University, offering a lot of pre- everything.

WIU's will likely weather the storm, the unknown is in 10 years time will it be the WIU of old more in the the Chicago State kinda deal.

Libertine
November 10th, 2021, 08:19 PM
EWU's OC, Ian Shoemaker, resigned yesterday. No word on exactly why, especially considering that their offense is averaging 48.2 ppg though the Eagles had lost two straight by a combined four points against two pretty good defenses. My gut says this is either (A) a soft firing for non-football reasons or (B) he resigned to take a position with a program (read: FBS) that has already fired their coach and hired his replacement (ie., Georgia Southern or Texas Tech).

ysubigred
November 10th, 2021, 09:02 PM
Got to throw YSU's Phillips in here..

He's a homer pick by the God of YSU football himself but.. this season has been a disaster and not looking any better this and next week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Has KC recently said anything about not interested in playing in Conference USA bowl and would just prefer FCS ?

Delaware could really use some excitement and Keeler would deliver

SHSU90
November 11th, 2021, 08:59 AM
Has KC recently said anything about not interested in playing in Conference USA bowl and would just prefer FCS ?

Does Delaware have the money to pay him? Or would they pay it?
Because he is makes over 400k plus at SHSU been told it is excess of 500 with things not in the base pay

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Because he is makes over 400k plus at SHSU been told it is excess of 500 with things not in the base pay

They pay Rip Van Rocco more than that so the answer is yes

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2021, 09:20 AM

- - - Updated - - -

....ROCCO MADE $588,198 IN 2019 PER NEWS JOURNAL........HE'S ON UH 5YR CONTRACT WHIFF ONE YEAR EXTENSION INTA 2022....'CAUSE UH....2020 COVID YEAR......DELAWARE ALONG WHIFF JMU.....ARE IN TOP THREE UNIVERSITY'S..........SPENDIN' ON FOOTBALL.....PER NJ......IT'S WHAA PECKERHEADS....ARE UPSET @ HIS 31/21 RECORD.......HE HAS DUH RESOURCES....AWK!

ysubigred
November 11th, 2021, 09:45 AM

- - - Updated - - -

....ROCCO MADE $588,198 IN 2019 PER NEWS JOURNAL........HE'S ON UH 5YR CONTRACT WHIFF ONE YEAR EXTENSION INTA 2022....'CAUSE UH....2020 COVID YEAR......DELAWARE ALONG WHIFF JMU.....ARE IN TOP THREE UNIVERSITY'S..........SPENDIN' ON FOOTBALL.....PER NJ......IT'S WHAA PECKERHEADS....ARE UPSET @ HIS 31/21 RECORD.......HE HAS DUH RESOURCES....AWK!Damn.. tough crowd.. hell we'll take 31-21 any day. Pecker heads at Ytown are on a 17 game road losing streak BWAK!!

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 09:47 AM
UCONN just hired Jim Mora as HC.

Go Green
November 11th, 2021, 10:00 AM

I guess he's got nothing to lose...

(And this is Jim Mora the son, not the father).

Libertine
November 11th, 2021, 10:04 AM

That's a good hire because anyone who has coached the Atlanta Falcons has already made their peace with constant disappointment.

Digby
November 11th, 2021, 11:04 AM
It looks like close to $10 million over five years.
Good money after bad.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Damn.. tough crowd.. hell we'll take 31-21 any day. Pecker heads at Ytown are on a 17 game road losing streak BWAK!!

its the boring football that he plays and toss out the spring and it’s 24-20

not good enough considering his high salary

Katfan
November 11th, 2021, 11:29 AM

He hasn’t. Pretty sure the one place he won’t coach at is Delaware!

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 11:31 AM
He hasn’t. Pretty sure the one place he won’t coach at is Delaware!

why so sure?

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 12:02 PM
why so sure?

I would ask the same question. Are any of the same leadership people who participated in his removal still there?

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 12:13 PM
I would ask the same question. Are any of the same leadership people who participated in his removal still there?

I don’t know for sure but have it on good word most are gone

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 12:19 PM
I don’t know for sure but have it on good word most are gone

It's his alma mater. He would go back, I think, if the people who fired him are gone.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 12:22 PM
It's his alma mater. He would go back, I think, if the people who fired him are gone.

He still bleeds blue and gold but yep, might still be few anti KC/football demons that would need to be exorcised

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 12:29 PM
He still bleeds blue and gold but yep, might still be few anti KC/football demons that would need to be exorcised

I know I have been on GoHens.net, and any fans and alum that initially supported getting rid of him have now had their "come to Jesus" moment after watching Keeler win a natty while at the same time watch their own program flounder under Rocco.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 01:08 PM
I know I have been on GoHens.net, and any fans and alum that initially supported getting rid of him have now had their "come to Jesus" moment after watching Keeler win a natty while at the same time watch their own program flounder under Rocco.

very true

I thought KC had lost some of his mojo coming into 2011, The Hens suffered a gut punch type defeat in National Championship game and it appeared to have an effect on him. What I didn’t know at the time is how hard he fought with the UD administration on making facility upgrades, and President Harker (a moron) was not happy that KC had become the face of the University. It got ugly, Big egos at play and yes, KC has a big ego. Ironically long after Keeler was fired they did finally do the upgrades and they are continuing.

I said at time that getting fired might actually be the best Thing that ever happened to Keeler, recharge and go at it again

This saga is not over yet

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 01:19 PM
very true

I thought KC had lost some of his mojo coming into 2011, The Hens suffered a gut punch type defeat in National Championship game and it appeared to have an effect on him. What I didn’t know at the time is how hard he fought with the UD administration on making facility upgrades, and President Harker (a moron) was not happy that KC had become the face of the University. It got ugly, Big egos at play and yes, KC has a big ego. Ironically long after Keeler was fired they did finally do the upgrades and they are continuing.

I said at time that getting fired might actually be the best Thing that ever happened to Keeler, recharge and go at it again

This saga is not over yet

One thing Keeler had going for him was the support of the University President Dana Hoyt. Rumor was that she overrode the HC candidate that the AD recommended and hired Keeler. He had all of the institutional support that we could afford. Our new president, who came from Austin Peay, supposedly understands the value of athletics, hence the move to FBS. That being said, Keeler has always had disdain for G5 football because it's basically impossible to win a national championship. Nobody can get a current read on how he really feels about our moving to CUSA. It would not surprise me if he walked away from SHSU after this season, especially if we go back-to-back.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 01:53 PM
One thing Keeler had going for him was the support of the University President Dana Hoyt. Rumor was that she overrode the HC candidate that the AD recommended and hired Keeler. He had all of the institutional support that we could afford. Our new president, who came from Austin Peay, supposedly understands the value of athletics, hence the move to FBS. That being said, Keeler has always had disdain for G5 football because it's basically impossible to win a national championship. Nobody can get a current read on how he really feels about our moving to CUSA. It would not surprise me if he walked away from SHSU after this season, especially if we go back-to-back.

When a much younger and brash Keeler was hired in 2002, at his first Press Conference he said with a gleam in his eye that he was at Delaware to win National Championships, and he delivered on that in 2003.

Back to back? Fine with me

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 01:58 PM
When a much younger and brash Keeler was hired in 2002, at his first Press Conference he said with a gleam in his eye that he was at Delaware to win National Championships, and he delivered on that in 2003.

Back to back? Fine with me

He said the exact same thing at his opening presser with us.

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2021, 02:07 PM
....KC....GOT DELAWARE INTA 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.....'03/'07'10 IN 8 YEARS....AN OUTSTANDIN' FEAT.......DAT WENT UN-NOTICED....AS JERRY MOORE''S VARMITS.....WON THREE IN UH ROW..........WE MISSED BEATIN' E. WASH.....BAH UH LINK UH CHAIN....& DREW APP STATE/ARMANTI....DUH MICHIGAN YEAR......AWQ!

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 02:13 PM
He said the exact same thing at his opening presser with us.

That sure didn’t surprise Delaware fans and why many have a feeling KC might not be all that excited about C USA

He has always talked about winning championships

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2021, 07:39 AM
....KC IS ON RECORD...SAYIN' DELAWARE....WAS HIS DREAM JOB......HE HAD VISIONS...UH BECOMIN' DUH NEXT GREAT COACH @ YOU-DEE.......BILL MURRAY/DAVE NELSON/TUBBY RAYMOND/KC KEELER.....BLUEHENS.....MOUNT RUSHMORE......KC ARGUED FO' UPGRADES....AS JMU/BILL&MARE.....BUILT AFFLETIC BLDGS. TA HOUSE FOOTBALL OPS/COMPUTER/STUDY LABS....... & WEIGHT ROOMS....DAT HE HAD TA SHARE WHIFF OTHERAH HEN TEAM SPORTS.......HE WASN'T ON UH LEVEL RECRUITIN' FIELD......KEELER'S FAMILY.....IS IN DUH NORFFEAST......WOOD HE COME BACK...FO' THEM.......ON DUH OTHERAH HAND......HE'S IN A HOT BED O' TALENT.......WHIFF PLENTY UH TEXAS COLLEGE X-FERS...IN DUH PORTAL.........GIVE HIM DUH X-TRA SKOLLIES....AN' LOOK-OUT.....BRAWK!

SIDE NOTE.......LAST NIGHT'S NORFF-CAROLINA/PITT GAME.....(REALLY GOOD GAME TA OT)....ANNOUNCERS...NOTED....MACK BROWN....SAYIN'...B/CAUSE UH PORTAL.....YA HALFTA PLAY TWO DEEP O'S/D'S.....TA KEEP DUH PLAYERS HAPPY....AWK!

BigCat
November 12th, 2021, 08:20 AM
FCS head coaches that should in fired IMO.

Tony Trisciani - Elon
Josh Conklin - Wofford
Chris Hatcher - Samford

All three are great assistant coaches, But terrible Head Coaches.

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2021, 09:21 AM

Tony Trisciani - Elon
Josh Conklin - Wofford
Chris Hatcher - Samford

I can't really argue with the other two, but…

Chris Hatcher hasn't been an assistant since 1999, and his head coaching record is 161-91.

BigCat
November 12th, 2021, 10:05 AM
I can't really argue with the other two, but…

Chris Hatcher hasn't been an assistant since 1999, and his head coaching record is 161-91.

Hatcher is 40-34 at Samford as HC since 2015. He is one of the best QB coaches thou

wapiti
November 12th, 2021, 10:37 AM

Tony Trisciani - Elon
Josh Conklin - Wofford
Chris Hatcher - Samford

You missed Petrino at Idaho

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2021, 04:53 PM
Hatcher is 40-34 at Samford as HC since 2015

That's still the best record for a Samford HC since Terry Bowden (1987-92).

cowboyearl
November 14th, 2021, 08:59 AM
Conklin has to go. Worst season ever. We were 1-10 under Rick Gilstrap when we were NAIA, but this is much worse to me. Conk is not a head coach! We can make excuses, like injuries, etc. Fact is the dude inherited a great program and has driven it in the ground. Woffy folks should be beyond pissed.

crusader11
November 14th, 2021, 09:03 AM
If Lafayette cared about football, they'd move on from John Garrett.

CockyGeek
November 14th, 2021, 09:06 AM
I have a lot opinion of Samford since they refuse to play us, but they should be better.

Libertine
November 18th, 2021, 11:02 PM
Not FCS anymore but may be interesting for FCS old-heads...the hot rumor out of UMass is that they are going back to Don Brown again. If so, this will make the second coach -- after Mark Whipple -- that FBS UMass has hired largely based on that coach's success at FCS UMass.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2021, 10:32 AM
If Lafayette cared about football, they'd move on from John Garrett.

Coaching changes at this level only work if an AD has a list already prepared; otherwise, he's no better than with the incumbent.

I'm not sure any PL school has someone that they could move on quickly.

ncspiderfan
November 19th, 2021, 06:04 PM
We will see at Richmond.

Spiders AD John Hardt, fifth-year coach Russ Huesman will discuss year, program's direction at season's end, per Hardt.

Go Green
November 20th, 2021, 08:27 PM
Penn's faithful are ready to move on...

Ma | Fire Ray Priore | The Daily Pennsylvanian (thedp.com) (https://www.thedp.com/article/2021/11/penn-football-princeton-column-fire-priore)

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2021, 08:44 PM
I have a lot opinion of Samford since they refuse to play us, but they should be better.
After 2013, I can understand why they don't want to sign up for that again.

ngineer
November 20th, 2021, 10:35 PM
Coaching changes at this level only work if an AD has a list already prepared; otherwise, he's no better than with the incumbent.

The PL schools certainly approach these matters differently than other conferences. Normally, I'd agree that Garrett would be gone, but as more than one AD at a PL school has said, 'It's more than just wins and losses." If the team is 'competitive', the players like and respect the coach, and it's run 'cleanly', and the students stay on schedule to graduate, they are willing to weather 'deserts'. Certainly, Gilmore has been given at least another year at Lehigh to see if what we saw the last five weeks of the season is truly a 'turn around'. I would think there would be serious discussion at his year end review that he needs to consider getting a new OC.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2021, 08:51 AM
Penn's faithful are ready to move on...

Ma | Fire Ray Priore | The Daily Pennsylvanian (thedp.com) (https://www.thedp.com/article/2021/11/penn-football-princeton-column-fire-priore)

I’m personally ready to move on from Ray Priore. He did well early on with Al Bagnoli’s recruits but the Quakers have slid into mediocrity since then.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2021, 08:56 AM
That sure didn’t surprise Delaware fans and why many have a feeling KC might not be all that excited about C USA

He has always talked about winning championships

I wonder if KC Keeler would be interested in coming “home” so to speak and would be intrigued by the Temple head coaching job if he’s considered a candidate. There’s a major mess to clean up after what has become the disaster of the Rod Carey era on North Broad Street. (At this point I’d be surprised if Temple doesn’t fire Carey, and I didn’t think that as recently as 2-3 weeks ago.)

Daytripper
November 21st, 2021, 09:32 AM
I wonder if KC Keeler would be interested in coming “home” so to speak and would be intrigued by the Temple head coaching job if he’s considered a candidate. There’s a major mess to clean up after what has become the disaster of the Rod Carey era on North Broad Street. (At this point I’d be surprised if Temple doesn’t fire Carey, and I didn’t think that as recently as 2-3 weeks ago.)

Keeler is not going to leave a strong (new) FBS program like Sam Houston for a rebuild at Temple. If he leaves Sam Houston it will be for Delaware.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2021, 09:33 AM

Wow, great question

I can tell you the mere mention of Temple would raise his blood pressure as the Temple game was always big back when KC played for the Hens. I don’t think at 62 years old he is the guy for Temple

Home is where the heart is and that would be Newark

CHIP72
November 21st, 2021, 09:38 AM
Wow, great question

I can tell you the mere mention of Temple would raise his blood pressure as the Temple game was always big back when KC played for the Hens. I don’t think at 62 years old he is the guy for Temple

Home is where the heart is and that would be Newark

Yeah, I could see how a Delaware guy like Keeler may not be keen on taking a job at Temple; it would be like a Villanova guy taking the job at Temple.

On a related note, if Doc Brown’s DeLorean were available, getting a 25 years younger Andy Talley would be a great hire for Temple right now.

EDIT: I literally typed part of the comment above while riding THROUGH Newark.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2021, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I could see how a Delaware guy like Keeler may not be keen on taking a job at Temple; it would be like a Villanova guy taking the job at Temple.

On a related note, if Doc Brown’s DeLorean were available, getting a 25 years younger Andy Talley would be a great hire for Temple right now.

Let us know if you see Rocco boarding train with bags packed

CHIP72
November 21st, 2021, 09:47 AM
Let us know if you see Rocco boarding train with bags packed

My particular train didn’t stop at Newark. We can check the schedule to see which Amtrak trains stop there though.

Daytripper
November 21st, 2021, 09:52 AM
Who will be the first FCS coach to be fired after the selection show?

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2021, 09:54 AM
Who will be the first FCS coach to be fired after the selection show?
Not John Grass. :D

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2021, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=CHIP72;3017172]Yeah, I could see how a Delaware guy like Keeler may not be keen on taking a job at Temple; it would be like a Villanova guy taking the job at Temple.

.......MUSTAH GOT CAUGHT @ STUDENT CROSSIN'......ON MAIN.........AWK!

Outsider1
November 21st, 2021, 10:25 AM
Dorrel is gone.

ACU parts ways with head football coach Adam Dorrel - Abilene Christian University Athletics (acusports.com) (https://acusports.com/news/2021/11/21/football-acu-parts-ways-with-head-football-coach-adam-dorrel.aspx)

Daytripper
November 21st, 2021, 10:25 AM
Dorrel is gone.

ACU parts ways with head football coach Adam Dorrel - Abilene Christian University Athletics (acusports.com) (https://acusports.com/news/2021/11/21/football-acu-parts-ways-with-head-football-coach-adam-dorrel.aspx)

Wow. I guess you guys want to start fresh in the WAC.

Outsider1
November 21st, 2021, 10:32 AM
Wow. I guess you guys want to start fresh in the WAC.

It's been a long time coming. Dorrel did a good job getting our team GPA up and promoting an environment consistent with ACU's social values. Still, he struggled with recruiting and keeping good players. He couldn't manage a game clock or make appropriate adjustments during games. We kept seeing the same mistakes year after year, alongside poor W/L records. We watched other programs like UIW and SFA continue to grow while we stagnated.

Daytripper
November 21st, 2021, 10:35 AM
It's been a long time coming. Dorrel did a good job getting our team GPA up and promoting an environment consistent with ACU's social values. Still, he struggled with recruiting and keeping good players. He couldn't manage a game clock or make appropriate adjustments during games. We kept seeing the same mistakes year after year, alongside poor W/L records. We watched other programs like UIW and SFA continue to grow while we stagnated.

I think you guys can pull a legit coach. Lots of potential in Abilene.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2021, 10:38 AM
Has Campbell's Mike Minter been mentioned? They lost six games in a row to end the season including tough ones to Hampton and Robert Morris.

cowboyearl
November 21st, 2021, 10:48 AM
Conklin should be. But AD, Fat Rich will not do it. He was a mediocre basketball coach and mediocre AD at best. So he really is blinded by his own “mediocre bias.”

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2021, 10:58 AM
Dorrel is gone.

John Grass is available.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 21st, 2021, 12:45 PM
No idea if any NEC coaches are released.

Every coach is either safe for decades or too new to fire.

Outsider1
November 21st, 2021, 02:47 PM
John Grass is available.

I don't think that we would hire him due to the sheer fact that I am not sure he has the Texas ties he would need. He was still more successful at the D1 level than Dorrel though.

acbearkat
November 21st, 2021, 02:50 PM
I don't think that we would hire him due to the sheer fact that I am not sure he has the Texas ties he would need. He was still more successful at the D1 level than Dorrel though.

I think Texas ties are a little overblown. Mack Brown had few ties to Texas when he was hired at UT, and look how that hire turned out. It certainly helps, though.

Outsider1
November 21st, 2021, 03:15 PM
I think Texas ties are a little overblown. Mack Brown had few ties to Texas when he was hired at UT, and look how that hire turned out. It certainly helps, though.

True, but we thought that we could bring in one of colleges most winningest coaches in history from out of state and we didn't fair well. Dorrell didn't have good Texas ties and he wasn't able to recruit very well. It's not necessarily a direct correlation, but we have people in Texas that can recruit better in Texas and out of state both. ACU is not an easy place to recruit to. We often get beat out on the same recruits that went to our rivals. That's going to be the problem regardless of where our coach comes from. Our issue, honestly, is do we hire someone with ACU ties? That seems to be the preference from a lot of our fans. They seem to think that an inner circle person, with Texas ties, can overcome those specific obstacles.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2021, 03:54 PM

Regional ties aren’t so important at a flagship DI-A/FBS program. They are at every other college football program.

Daytripper
November 21st, 2021, 03:56 PM

Keeler had basically zero Texas ties...but he hired Texas assistant coaches to recruit.

Libertine
November 21st, 2021, 04:05 PM
Keeler had basically zero Texas ties...but he hired Texas assistant coaches to recruit.

This. A head coaches' ties to an area mean very little and can, actually, be detrimental because they have way too many voices in their ear that they're too familiar with to ignore and end up recruiting some kids for political reasons as opposed to just on talent.

Outsider1
November 21st, 2021, 04:20 PM
I agree that a head coach can hire assistants to do the recruiting, that's actually the case most of the time. Still, regional ties and networks do help with schools that depend on that region. A coach that has too many voices in their head and can't effectively focus enough on talent and development is on the coach regardless of whether they are from a given area or not. Dorrel did have his assistants do recruiting, but I think he also had given directives that didn't work in our favor. It's still an adage that the buck stops at the top (head coach in this case). The assistants still follow the direction of that person and a personal relationship with given networks can greatly help in that. Dorrel actually took a chance on several local kids that helped spark local interest that didn't get it from the community before. There are a lot of dynamics that come into play. It takes money to recruit top talent from across regions, let alone the country. We had expanded our recruiting some, but the quality didn't really improve.

Outsider1
November 21st, 2021, 04:25 PM

I think Keeler could also develop players pretty well and we have discussed him as one who can come in from the outside (In general, not for us). Over-all, the quality of the coach is what matters, but good networks are also key to that. FCS schools rely on regional networks more than larger FBS programs.

Libertine
November 21st, 2021, 09:42 PM
Idaho State is open. Rob Phenicie is out.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sports/isu-parts-ways-with-football-coach-rob-phenicie-after-five-seasons/article_4f6ad73b-559c-50a1-8ab0-252193259a0f.html

mvemjsunpx
November 21st, 2021, 10:55 PM
Idaho State is open. Rob Phenicie is out.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sports/isu-parts-ways-with-football-coach-rob-phenicie-after-five-seasons/article_4f6ad73b-559c-50a1-8ab0-252193259a0f.html

For some reason, ISU decided to release this yesterday morning shortly before the game.

Puddin Tane
November 21st, 2021, 11:21 PM
Dorrel is gone.

come take Morgan

F'N Hawks
November 21st, 2021, 11:54 PM
Dorrel is gone.

Surprising. He was big time at NWMS. Of course they are typically good but thought it would translate.

acbearkat
November 22nd, 2021, 11:12 AM
Brad Laird will be back at Northwestern State.

Brad Laird to return at Northwestern State - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/brad-laird-to-return-northwestern-state)

Puddin Tane
November 22nd, 2021, 12:34 PM
Brad Laird will be back at Northwestern State.

Brad Laird to return at Northwestern State - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/brad-laird-to-return-northwestern-state)

he must have photos of someody

ncspiderfan
November 22nd, 2021, 06:50 PM
We will see at Richmond.

Spiders AD John Hardt, fifth-year coach Russ Huesman will discuss year, program's direction at season's end, per Hardt.

Huesman will return to Richmond. AD will not discuss contract status.

crusader11
November 22nd, 2021, 07:08 PM

Well, guess there’s a list.

CHIP72
November 22nd, 2021, 08:48 PM
John Garrett was just sent to the incinerator at Lafayette.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Wofford's firing 5 coaches, none of which are the problem IMO

God, it sucks to suck

acbearkat
November 27th, 2021, 10:27 AM
Eddie Robinson, Jr. has been named Alabama State’s next head coach. https://footballscoop.com/news/alabama-state-tabs-eddie-robinson-jr-as-head-coach

ST_Lawson
November 27th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Eddie Robinson, Jr. has been named Alabama State’s next head coach. https://footballscoop.com/news/alabama-state-tabs-eddie-robinson-jr-as-head-coach

For those of you who had the same first thought that I did, no relation to legendary Grambling HC Eddie Robinson.

Robinson is not the son of late Grambling State coaching legend Eddie Robinson.

In fact, while he is from Louisiana – born and raised in New Orleans – the new Alabama State coach is not at all related to the late coach.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/2021/11/26/5-things-know-alabama-state-football-coach-eddie-robinson-jr/8763105002/

dgtw
November 27th, 2021, 12:13 PM
Just don’t get hiring a guy with zero coaching experience.

Libertine
November 28th, 2021, 02:11 PM
Maine is open surprisingly. Nick Charlton is leaving to become OC for Jim Mora at UConn.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/11/28/sports/umaine-sports/report-umaine-football-coach-leaving-to-become-offensive-coordinator-at-uconn/

ccd494
November 28th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Maine is open surprisingly. Nick Charlton is leaving to become OC for Jim Mora at UConn.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/11/28/sports/umaine-sports/report-umaine-football-coach-leaving-to-become-offensive-coordinator-at-uconn/

Not too surprising. That's two head coaches in a row who have left to become FBS assistants.

acbearkat
November 28th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Keep an eye on Incarnate Word. Eric Morris could be in line to be either a head coach at the FBS level, or an offensive coordinator, especially with the Oklahoma job just opening up.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Not too surprising. That's two head coaches in a row who have left to become FBS assistants.

How come your Sugar Daddy doesn’t pay the coaches?

ccd494
November 28th, 2021, 09:24 PM
How come your Sugar Daddy doesn’t pay the coaches?

Not sure who that is? Maine got that big donation from a foundation but that was basically to pay for 30 years of deferred maintenance. And that was pretty clearly the last of that money.

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2021, 10:23 PM
Not sure who that is? Maine got that big donation from a foundation but that was basically to pay for 30 years of deferred maintenance. And that was pretty clearly the last of that money.

I think he is referring to Harold Alfond, who died in 2007.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2021, 05:03 AM

Harold Alford foundation

90 million

heck, the interest alone could pay the Coaches

ccd494
November 29th, 2021, 06:26 AM
Harold Alford foundation

90 million

That money was solely earmarked for facilities, which were below D-3 standards.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2021, 06:35 AM
That money was solely earmarked for facilities, which were below D-3 standards.

I see

Well you’ve lost 2 Coaches now in a relatively short period of time, If Delaware could only be so lucky

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Well you’ve lost 2 Coaches now in a relatively short period of time, If Delaware could only be so lucky

Sounds like Rocco is out at Delaware

https://twitter.com/kevintresolini/status/1465343975250968578

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2021, 09:58 AM
I see

We just got lucky 🍀

Danny Rocco is out as per tweet from Kevin Tresolini

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Sounds like Rocco is out at Delaware

https://twitter.com/kevintresolini/status/1465343975250968578

Just in time

Colby Reeder had just announced this morning he was entering the portal

Libertine
November 29th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Delaware is official.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/2021/11/29/danny-rocco-fired-university-delaware-football-coach/8794158002/

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Delaware is official.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/2021/11/29/danny-rocco-fired-university-delaware-football-coach/8794158002/

Rejoice Hens! Temple fired their coach too! Birds of a feather flock together.....

Daytripper
November 29th, 2021, 10:04 AM
Delaware is official.

Cue meltdown on katfans....3...2...1

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Cue meltdown on katfans....3...2...1

Keeler's name has once again been brought up by the Temple faithful again. Obviously, the value of that is open for debate...lol

ElCid
November 29th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Harold Alford foundation

90 million

Current interest is averaging 0.1% so only about 90k in interest. Unless they put it in Bitcoin😆

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Keeler's name has once again been brought up by the Temple faithful again. Obviously, the value of that is open for debate...lol

..........JES' TRAGICALLY...HAD UH STUDENT SHOT/KILLED....IN ROBBERY ATTEMPT.....BLOCK FROM CAMPUS.....RETURNIN' FROM THANKSGIVIN'.........KC.....WON'T WALK DUH STREETS UH PHILLY.......AWQ!

Daytripper
November 29th, 2021, 10:56 AM

I think he would probably stay at the FBS transitioning team he has built rather than start a rebuild at an FBS program. He loves coaching in the FCS. The UD job worries me more.

Libertine
November 30th, 2021, 02:46 PM
Butler is open. Jeff Voris resigns after 16 years.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2021/11/29/butler-university-football-jeff-voris-resigns-bulldogs-coach/8801735002/

Libertine
December 1st, 2021, 07:46 AM
The surprises keep coming.

Sean McDonnell is retiring at UNH.

https://tnhdigital.com/2021/12/01/unh-football-head-coach-sean-mcdonnell-announces-his-retirement-after-22-years-with-unh-santos-expected-to-be-promoted/

Libertine
December 4th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Eric Morris is leaving Incarnate Word to be OC at Washington State.

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Eric-Morris-expected-to-be-hired-by-Jake-Dickert-as-WSU-football-offensive-coordinator-177326136/

Libertine
December 4th, 2021, 11:05 PM
Also, as noted elsewhere, Kevin Kelley has bailed at Presbyterian after one year.

https://twitter.com/coachkelley1/status/1467196189493940231/photo/1

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2021, 11:16 PM
Eric Morris is leaving Incarnate Word to be OC at Washington State.

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Eric-Morris-expected-to-be-hired-by-Jake-Dickert-as-WSU-football-offensive-coordinator-177326136/

Wow! That didn't take long!

Jiggs
December 6th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Chris Hatcher should certainly be on the hot seat. https://www.thesamfordcrimson.com/2021/12/06/evaluating-the-hatcher-era-so-far/

acbearkat
December 6th, 2021, 11:58 AM
It looks like Prairie View A&M will have an opening.

Sources: Southern University planning a big move - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/southern-football-eric-dooley-deion-sanders-new-head-coach)

Libertine
December 6th, 2021, 12:06 PM
I applaud Southern for hiring an actual coach.

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2021, 01:01 PM
I applaud Southern for hiring an actual coach.Yes - FUBeAR was thinking they might give Jaguar Alum, Randy Jackson (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Jackson), a shot. The man clearly knows how to evaluate talent!

acbearkat
December 6th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Yes - FUBeAR was thinking they might give Jaguar Alum, Randy Jackson (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Jackson), a shot. The man clearly knows how to evaluate talent!

[emoji38]

Daytripper
December 6th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Abilene Christian seems to have their new coach: https://footballscoop.com/news/keith-patterson-expected-to-be-abilene-christian-head-coach

Puddin Tane
December 6th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Abilene Christian seems to have their new coach: https://footballscoop.com/news/keith-patterson-expected-to-be-abilene-christian-head-coach

defensive coach from tech? I’ll pass.

Libertine
December 7th, 2021, 03:06 PM
In keeping with their recent trend of hiring head coaches just barely old enough to rent a car, Maine will name Yale Co-Defensive Coordinator Jordan Stevens to be the Big Black Bear.

https://yalebulldogs.com/staff-directory/jordan-stevens/66

Libertine
December 7th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Mentioned in the Southland thread, McNeese head coach Frank Wilson has resigned to join Brian Kelly at LSU.

https://lsusports.net/news/2021/12/07/kelly-names-frank-wilson-associate-head-coach/

acbearkat
December 7th, 2021, 03:18 PM
In keeping with their recent trend of hiring head coaches just barely old enough to rent a car, Maine will name Yale Co-Defensive Coordinator Jordan Stevens to be the Big Black Bear.

https://yalebulldogs.com/staff-directory/jordan-stevens/66

“just barely old enough to rent a car” [emoji38]

Sonic98
December 8th, 2021, 04:28 PM
Any good OL coaches available out there?

Daytripper
December 9th, 2021, 08:46 AM
HBCU's are making some noise. Reports out there that Hue Jackson will be the new Grambling HC: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...te-head-coach/ (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/09/reports-hue-jackson-to-be-hired-as-grambling-state-head-coach/)

JSUSoutherner
December 9th, 2021, 09:07 AM
HBCU's are making some noise. Reports out there that Hue Jackson will be the new Grambling HC: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...te-head-coach/ (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/09/reports-hue-jackson-to-be-hired-as-grambling-state-head-coach/)
Look forward to seeing Grambling find a way to be the first FCS team to go 0-16.

wapiti
December 9th, 2021, 09:48 AM
Look forward to seeing Grambling find a way to be the first FCS team to go 0-16.

Has there ever been a regular season with 16 games???

and there has been FCS teams that went 0 for ## in a season.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Has there ever been a regular season with 16 games???

and there has been FCS teams that went 0 for ## in a season.
Context clues which may be helpful to interpret JSUSoutherners cynically humorous comment…
* Cleveland
* NFL

Libertine
December 10th, 2021, 01:24 PM
Idaho State has their guy. Charlie Ragle, special teams coordinator at Cal.

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2021, 01:29 PM

SMH LOL

ST_Lawson
December 17th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Looks like we're getting Myers Hendrickson, Macomb native, former Leatherneck WR, son of former Leatherneck OC and HC Mark Hendrickson (longtime assistant to HC Don Patterson), and most recently, HC at NAIA Kansas Wesleyan, where he went 31-5 in his 3 years there.

https://twitter.com/WIUfootball/status/1471963468970356740

UAalum72
December 23rd, 2021, 04:50 PM
No hot seat in Albany; Gattuso gets a two-year extension

https://dailygazette.com/2021/12/23/ualbany-football-coach-gattuso-gets-contract-extension/

Daytripper
December 23rd, 2021, 10:33 PM
Looks like we're getting Myers Hendrickson, Macomb native, former Leatherneck WR, son of former Leatherneck OC and HC Mark Hendrickson (longtime assistant to HC Don Patterson), and most recently, HC at NAIA Kansas Wesleyan, where he went 31-5 in his 3 years there.

https://twitter.com/WIUfootball/status/1471963468970356740

Hope it works out for your guys. Always good when a favorite son comes home and does well.

Boogs
January 1st, 2022, 11:42 AM
Rick Chamberlin, Dayton
No PFL championships/FCS playoff appearances since 2015

This would be unacceptable at schools like Ohio State for not winning a conference title.

Kind of begs the question has Dayton ever fired a head football coach for a lack of wins?

Libertine
January 1st, 2022, 01:51 PM
Kind of begs the question has Dayton ever fired a head football coach for a lack of wins?

Lack of wins?? Dude has a .721 in-conference winning percentage while working with D3 facilities, no home stadium and no scholarships at a basketball school. If Dayton fans aren't happy with their football program, they should look at a lot of other things to change besides the head coach.

Boogs
January 1st, 2022, 03:50 PM
Lack of wins?? Dude has a .721 in-conference winning percentage while working with D3 facilities, no home stadium and no scholarships at a basketball school. If Dayton fans aren't happy with their football program, they should look at a lot of other things to change besides the head coach.

D3 facilities? They were given the boot for having better than D3 facilities.

No home stadium? They play in a football stadium that resides on the same lot as the basketball arena.

No scholarships? Technically true, but I assume the school sets aside aid (leadership scholarships that do not count as athletic scholarships) to their athletes that play football.

Libertine
January 1st, 2022, 07:43 PM
D3 facilities? They were given the boot for having better than D3 facilities.

No home stadium? They play in a football stadium that resides on the same lot as the basketball arena.

No scholarships? Technically true, but I assume the school sets aside aid (leadership scholarships that do not count as athletic scholarships) to their athletes that play football.

I assume you're referring to the "Dayton Rule" passed by the NCAA back in 1991 and the argument for what it actually meant for Dayton and other schools like them (ie., Albany, Charleston Southern, et al.,) in another thread. Yes, Dayton has invested heavily into other sports -- the volleyball-only arena looks like a jewel -- but the fact remains that, by the standards of 2022, Dayton's football facilities lag dramatically behind.

Also, regardless of the parking lot situation, Dayton has no true home stadium. Welcome Stadium is a municipal stadium owned and operated by the local public school system and is physically separate from the main university campus. It's a high school stadium that UD has no stake in and it's across the river from the student body proper.

As for scholarships, the "leadership scholarships" that some PFL schools use to cover student costs are typically limited in both amount and number as well as by their also having to be available to the general student population. Any scholarship specifically set aside for football players -- regardless of what you call it -- amounts to a football scholarship which, you may remember, is what San Diego and Jacksonville got in trouble for a few years back. It's also telling that some PFL schools (ie., Campbell when they were PFL and Presbyterian now) wouldn't touch the idea of "leadership scholarships" because the semantic difference between "leadership aid" and "football-specific aid" was too narrow and the schools felt that the potential cost of improperly parsing the difference wasn't worth the potential benefit to the program.

Under Chamberlin, Dayton has won more than 2/3 of its games as well as recruited and developed the school's only NFL draft pick in nearly 40 years while facing obvious disadvantages, the least of which is being in a one-bid league dominated by a conference opponent (San Diego) that has shared or won outright every PFL title since 2010 (excluding 2013, of course, when they would have won the conference if they hadn't declared themselves ineligible for the aforementioned financial aid improprieties). If that's not good enough for Flyer fans, I would just say to be careful what you wish for. You could -- and, statistically speaking, probably would -- do worse.

Outsider1
January 3rd, 2022, 09:46 PM
Not a Head Coach, but Missouri State's Skyler Cassity comes to ACU as the new Defensive Coordinator. He is young but already has an interesting background.

crusader11
January 4th, 2022, 09:31 AM
No hot seat in Albany; Gattuso gets a two-year extension

https://dailygazette.com/2021/12/23/ualbany-football-coach-gattuso-gets-contract-extension/

Presumably with a cheap buy-out.

Only a two-year extension tells me his seat is very warm, but can't have a lame duck head coach when trying to recruit. I suspect if Albany has a poor 2022 season, Gattuso is toast.

bonarae
January 4th, 2022, 04:11 PM
Bubba McDowell is now the permanent Prairie View A&M Head Coach. (see other thread)

Puddin Tane
January 4th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Bubba McDowell is now the permanent Prairie View A&M Head Coach. (see other thread)

the way panther69 was yapping, i figured the second coming of eddie robinson was gonna happen.

i was an oiler fan and damned if i remember Bubba mcdowell. Musta been my hazy years?

Outsider1
January 8th, 2022, 09:18 AM
We are beginning to fill in all of our open coaching spots. Several young guys from Texas Tech ending up at ACU along with KP: Matt Clark will coach TEs and Special Teams, Julian Wilson will coach DBs, Jordan Seawright will be Associate AD/Football Chief of Staff, and Corey Smith as Director of Strength & Conditioning for football. Again, Skyler Cassity joins as the Defensive Coordinator from Missouri State. Then We finally find out who our Offensive Coordinator will be; Stephen Lee from UMHB. UMHB was the highest scoring college offense in the State of Texas at 48.9 ppg. We still have a few more spots to fill, but this is an interesting mix, and it shows a couple of new positions that will add resources that we never had before.

Outsider1
January 8th, 2022, 11:35 AM
We thought Conor Dubin was coming over from Tech as well, but didn't know for sure until today. He will handle OLBs.

**Add Shannon Carter (former Goose Creek MHS HC) as ILB coach.**

Boogs
January 8th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Under Chamberlin, Dayton has won more than 2/3 of its games as well as recruited and developed the school's only NFL draft pick in nearly 40 years while facing obvious disadvantages, the least of which is being in a one-bid league dominated by a conference opponent (San Diego) that has shared or won outright every PFL title since 2010 (excluding 2013, of course, when they would have won the conference if they hadn't declared themselves ineligible for the aforementioned financial aid improprieties).

Dayton *formerly* dominated the PFL. Dayton has noticeably lost ground to San Diego.

ST_Lawson
January 11th, 2022, 11:12 AM
EIU HC Adam Cushing has stepped down

https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/1480950020375470090

Libertine
January 11th, 2022, 12:17 PM

FootballScoop says Cushing will be the new OL coach at Duke.

ST_Lawson
January 26th, 2022, 10:03 AM

Looks like EIU has found their new HC...EIU alumni and current U of Chicago (DIII) HC Chris Wilkerson
HC at U of Chicago since 2013: https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/fball/coaches/chris_wilkerson?view=bio

Played 1991-1994 as a DT at EIU

1995-2001 - Eastern Illinois: special teams, DC, LB coach, DL coach
2002-2004 - San Jose State: defensive and special teams coach
2005-2013 - Dartmouth: DC, special teams, RB coach, LB coach, recruiting coordinator
2013-2021 - U of Chicago: HC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wilkerson

Go Green
January 27th, 2022, 12:28 PM
HC Chris Wilkerson

He was very well-liked at Dartmouth. We were sorry to see him go and wished him all the best.

Looks like he did well at Chicago.

Catbooster
January 29th, 2022, 04:40 PM
Not a head coach, but MSU just hired Willie Mack Garza from McNeese as our new DC. A few of his stops were at Wyoming and NDSU under Bohl with Vigen.

bonarae
February 4th, 2022, 04:58 PM
Columbia loses QB coach to Carnegie Mellon.

https://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2021-22/releases/20220203m614de

Libertine
February 12th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Morgan State just opened up. Tyrone Wheatley is taking a job on the Denver Broncos staff.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/12/tyrone-wheatley-is-expected-to-be-broncos-running-backs-coach/

DFW HOYA
February 12th, 2022, 07:06 PM
Morgan State just opened up. Tyrone Wheatley is taking a job on the Denver Broncos staff.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/12/tyrone-wheatley-is-expected-to-be-broncos-running-backs-coach/

Good move for him. He was 5-18 and his only Div. I wins were against Del State, NC A&T, and Georgetown.