PDA

View Full Version : Alright, I'll ask the question...

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Here is Drake's schedule for the rest of the year:

Sat, Sep 08 Waldorf (NAIA)
Sat, Sep 15 at Wisconsin-Platteville (D-III)
Sat, Sep 22 Northern Iowa
Sat, Sep 29 Valparaiso *
Sat, Oct 06 Butler *
Sat, Oct 13 at San Diego *
Sat, Oct 20 at Davidson *
Sat, Oct 27 Jacksonville *
Sat, Nov 03 at Morehead State *
Sat, Nov 10 Dayton *

-Does an Undefeated Drake team, with wins over Illinois State and Northern Iowa, get a Playoff bid?

-Does a 10-1 Drake team, with the only loss to Northern Iowa, get a Playoff bid?

-Does a 10-1 Drake team, with the only loss to San Diego, get a Playoff bid?

BONUS: Does an Undefeated San Diego, with a win over that 10-1 Drake team, get a Playoff bid?

USDFAN_55
August 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Sat, Sep 29 Valparaiso *
Sat, Oct 06 Butler *
Sat, Nov 10 Dayton *

-Does an Undefeated Drake team, with wins over Illinois State and Northern Iowa, get a Playoff bid?

-Does a 10-1 Drake team, with the only loss to Northern Iowa, get a Playoff bid?

BONUS: Does an Undefeated San Diego, with a win over that 10-1 Drake team, get a Playoff bid?
That's easy, I can answer them all at the same time. NO!!!!!!!! A non-schollie team in the play-offs will never happen.

RadMann
August 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Unlikely, No and No ....

FCSFAN
August 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
if they beat UNI and go undefeated the rest of the way they will probably have the most convincing case ever for a PFL team

UNHWildCats
August 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
undefeated, they certainly would be on the bubble.... very impressive wins over Waldorf and Wisconsin Platteville are a must.

I think they need to beat UNI to have a shot.

If the win over UNI is impressive as are the wins over Waldorf and Wisc Platt they could sneak in at 10-1 if there platyoff pool of teams is thin and San Diego finishes 9-2. It would be hard to pick Drake over San Diego if both are 10-1 and Drake had lost to San Diego and both teams wont get in.

San Diego's schedule just isnt playoff caliber... I dont see them getting in under any circumstances..... except maybe if they go 11-0 and beat UC Davis 100-0

USDFAN_55
August 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
if they beat UNI and go undefeated the rest of the way they will probably have the most convincing case ever for a PFL team
So if they have 3 big wins (Illinois State, Northern Iowa, and San Diego), that would be enough to overlook the rest of the schedule?

FCSFAN
August 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
So if they have 3 big wins (Illinois State, Northern Iowa, and San Diego), that would be enough to overlook the rest of the schedule?11-0 with 9 D-I wins, including (part of) the cream of the Gateway? Yes. Lose once and then it is NO.

UNHWildCats
August 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
So if they have 3 big wins (Illinois State, Northern Iowa, and San Diego), that would be enough to overlook the rest of the schedule?

You Torero fans wanted us to overlook the entire pathetic schedule San Diego has last year... atleast Drake would have some VERY IMPRESSIVE wins on their resume.

McNeese_beat
August 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Sat, Sep 29 Valparaiso *
Sat, Oct 06 Butler *
Sat, Nov 10 Dayton *

I'll answer like this: I take last year's 7-4 Portland State team over this year's 10-1 Drake team...and maybe an 11-0 Drake team. And PSU didn't even make the playoffs.

strike00
August 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
two wins against top 10 teams and an undefeated schedule would give them a reasonable shot at making it in.

downbythebeach
August 30th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'd take Portland State over a lot of teams that made the playoffs last year, but still 11-0 is impressive.

USDFAN_55
August 30th, 2007, 10:42 PM
two wins against top 10 teams and an undefeated schedule would give them a reasonable shot at making it in.
Top 10 in the pre-season rankings. We all know pre-seaon rankings aren't very accurate.

downbythebeach
August 30th, 2007, 10:44 PM
in this hypothetical question it would prob matter how good San Diego is......and if Drake has a 10-1 season and San Diego goes undefeated what would that mean?

this is gonna be a fun season

laparka316
One mountain at a time... Drake fans aren't expecting playoffs, but a trip to the Gridiron Classic would be nice

USDFAN_55
You Torero fans wanted us to overlook the entire pathetic schedule San Diego has last year... atleast Drake would have some VERY IMPRESSIVE wins on their resume.
It really wasn't all San Diego fans, just a couple out spoken fans that got on everyone's nerves. Most San Diego fans know that their schedule is weak.

strike00
August 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Top 10 in the pre-season rankings. We all know pre-seaon rankings aren't very accurate.

i mean UNI and ISU would have to play like top ten teams the rest of the year.

Cap'n Cat
August 30th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Jesus, men. It's WEEK ONE!!!

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Much will depend on where Illinois State go after they lose to Drake. If Illinois State recovers and goes 9-2 or ever 8-3 and is pushing for the playoffs, that Drake win looks awfully impressive. If Illinois State goes 3-8 and Luke Drone simply implodes then it loses some luster.

Same goes for UNI should they lose to Drake.

If Drake goes 11-0 against UNI, Illinois State and San Diego, they could very well count three wins against Top 25 teams there including 9 D-I wins. But too much depends on how Illinois State and UNI do the rest of the way.

Pard4Life
August 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
You are assuming Illinois will be a "quality win" and a good team this year first of all...

second of all.. that NAIA game looks terrible..

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Depends. You go 11-0, with a win over UNI, and UNI goes 9-2 and is in the playoffs, then I say YES. If UNI goes 6-5 or 5-6, then to bad, so sad. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

GannonFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Assuming that Ill St and UNI have good seasons (at least be over .500, but better would be more helpful) then an 11-0 Drake team could easily get into the playoffs. USD has no shot just because they continue to choose bad scheduling, but Drake could do it with that schedule.

USDFAN_55
August 30th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Sat, Sep 29 Valparaiso *
Sat, Oct 06 Butler *
Sat, Nov 10 Dayton *

9 FCS teams, but 2 (ISU and NIU) maybe another (San Diego) are quality wins. The PFL schedule is just too weak to overlook. That is why I would love to have San Diego move to the Great West Football Confrence.

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I suppose since I asked the questions, I ought to provide some answers myself.

On the first point, an 11-0 Drake team would be nearly impossible to keep out, unless ISU/UNI/USD combined for 9 wins or less. Beat those 3, and they have good seasons as well, you'd have to have a pretty compelling argument to keep Drake out.

On the second, a 10-1 Drake gets considered under similar circumstances as before. ISU and USD still have to look relatively competitive, and the loss to UNI would probably have to be less than a complete blowout.

On the third, slightly different. Yes, they would have beaten 2 Gateway schools, but could also be 2nd in their conference behind San Diego. Even if that San Diego team 11-0, you'd still have to justify the inclusion of a 2nd place team, which would look strange if San Diego is excluded. Of course, 10-1 and Pioneer Champs looks pretty good if USD is 9-2 with another Pioneer loss in there.

On the bonus question, San Diego. An 11-0 USD team would include wins over a Northern Colorado and UC-Davis. To be honest, their bar would seem a bit higher because UNC is not exactly a strong Big Sky team. Victories over those two, plus a 10-1 Drake might get consideration. Their case is a bit trickier, I think, but I'm inclined to say "yes" only if UC-Davis is Top 25 and Drake is 10-1. Anything less, and probably not.

What does all of this mean? 11-0 Drake gets in as long as their "tough" games prove to be so. 10-1 Drake gets considered only if a good UNI team is that loss. Losing to San Diego probably means no playoffs. That 10/13 matchup in San Diego looks very interesting right now.

Is it too early to be asking these questions? Probably. On the other hand, I also think it's a worthwhile question because it's certainly a highly debated topic around here. I (and many others) have maintained that the way to the playoffs for a team outside of the autobid conferences is to schedule tough and win those games. We can see Drake has scheduled some tough games. They just won one of them. So I think it'd be interesting to see how much we think it matters.

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I suppose since I asked the questions, I ought to provide some answers myself.

On the first point, an 11-0 Drake team would be nearly impossible to keep out, unless ISU/UNI/USD combined for 9 wins or less. Beat those 3, and they have good seasons as well, you'd have to have a pretty compelling argument to keep Drake out.

On the second, a 10-1 Drake gets considered under similar circumstances as before. ISU and USD still have to look relatively competitive, and the loss to UNI would probably have to be less than a complete blowout.

On the third, slightly different. Yes, they would have beaten 2 Gateway schools, but could also be 2nd in their conference behind San Diego. Even if that San Diego team 11-0, you'd still have to justify the inclusion of a 2nd place team, which would look strange if San Diego is excluded. Of course, 10-1 and Pioneer Champs looks pretty good if USD is 9-2 with another Pioneer loss in there.

On the bonus question, San Diego. An 11-0 USD team would include wins over a Northern Colorado and UC-Davis. To be honest, their bar would seem a bit higher because UNC is not exactly a strong Big Sky team. Victories over those two, plus a 10-1 Drake might get consideration. Their case is a bit trickier, I think, but I'm inclined to say "yes" only if UC-Davis is Top 25 and Drake is 10-1. Anything less, and probably not.

What does all of this mean? 11-0 Drake gets in as long as their "tough" games prove to be so. 10-1 Drake gets considered only if a good UNI team is that loss. Losing to San Diego probably means no playoffs. That 10/13 matchup in San Diego looks very interesting right now.

Is it too early to be asking these questions? Probably. On the other hand, I also think it's a worthwhile question because it's certainly a highly debated topic around here. I (and many others) have maintained that the way to the playoffs for a team outside of the autobid conferences is to schedule tough and win those games. We can see Drake has scheduled some tough games. They just won one of them. So I think it'd be interesting to see how much we think it matters.

They fly in your ointment is that we don't know if Illinois State is a "strong" Gateway team yet either.

At 11-0, with 2 (as they look now) quality wins and a conference championship, you'd have a stronger case than a Hampton, in my opinion. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx And they get in every year! xeyebrowx

footballfan11
August 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
the funny thing about all of these non schollie fball haters is that when USD plays a NAIA its the end of the world....considering theres not a lot of 1aa teams on the west coast....but when UND(north dakota) plays 1)humboldt state...no one has bashed them yet and although they have a good scheadule, im just saying that if there so great y play a NAIA school

FCSFAN
August 30th, 2007, 11:25 PM
They fly in your ointment is that we don't know if Illinois State is a "strong" Gateway team yet either.xconfusedx No question ILS is a good team. The win by Drake was enormous.

UNHWildCats
August 30th, 2007, 11:26 PM
the funny thing about all of these non schollie fball haters is that when USD plays a NAIA its the end of the world....considering theres not a lot of 1aa teams on the west coast....but when UND(north dakota) plays 1)humboldt state...no one has bashed them yet and although they have a good scheadule, im just saying that if there so great y play a NAIA school

When North Dakota is a FCS member people will get on them for games like that.... Im sure NDSU fans will really get on them.

No one complains about San Diego's schedule until all them Torero boys came on here last year saying how great they were playing the crappy schedule. If your gonna call your team great and playoff worthy, then be prepared to face the criticism that comes with that god awful schedule they had.

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:27 PM

1) Please speak in complete sentences. The only poster on THIS board with the authorization to speak in code is Mr. Chicken.
2) USD is not FCS yet, so they can play whoever they want....we don't really care. Let's see who they are playing in two years. USD IS FCS, so they should schedule FCS teams.

FCSFAN
August 30th, 2007, 11:27 PM
the funny thing about all of these non schollie fball haters is that when USD plays a NAIA its the end of the world....considering theres not a lot of 1aa teams on the west coast....but when UND(north dakota) plays 1)humboldt state...no one has bashed them yet and although they have a good scheadule, im just saying that if there so great y play a NAIA schoolthat's because nodak is a D-II team and not FCS.

FargoBison
August 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM

UND is a DII school, who cares if they play Humboldt, Dixie State, or Trinity Bible. Also I think Humboldt is a DII school.

Anyway, it is week one and some of you guys are looking way too far ahead. If Drake is still undefeated after UNI then I think it might be time to start having a discussion like this.

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
xconfusedx No question ILS is a good team. The win by Drake was enormous.

How is there "no question"? They just lost to a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake. Of COURSE there's a question. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Now, if they run the table, maybe it was an anomaly. But if they go 5-5 or 4-6 the rest of the way, don't be surprised. xreadx

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
North Dakota isn't FCS yet xeyebrowx xconfusedx

Old Montana State Grad
August 30th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Do y'all realize this entire thread destroys the entire concept of what a great idea our playoff tournament is in comparison to the FBS system?

Heck yes, Drake should be in and we ought to limit the number of teams from a conference in the playoffs. Both the Gateway and the A-10 have had four teams in the playoffs. Many of my colleagues feel our playoff is too large and watered down. I myself would rather watch nothing but conference champions in the playoffs.

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Do y'all realize this entire thread destroys the entire concept of what a great idea our playoff tournament is in comparison to the FBS system?

Heck yes, Drake should be in and we ought to limit the number of teams from a conference in the playoffs. Both the Gateway and the A-10 have had four teams in the playoffs. Many of my colleagues feel our playoff is too large and watered down. I myself would rather watch nothing but conference champions in the playoffs.

Sorry, but that's retarded. MSU would have kicked USD A** last year. MSU got an at-large bid. Would you rather have seen your Cats stay home and give that slot to a team who showed NOTHING all year? Be careful what you ask for.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Mountaineer
August 30th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Sorry, but that's retarded. MSU would have kicked USD A** last year. MSU got an at-large bid. Would you rather have seen your Cats stay home and give that slot to a team who showed NOTHING all year? Be careful what you ask for.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

You just save me some key strokes AZ. Thanks. :p xlolx xthumbsupx

FCSFAN
August 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM
How is there "no question"? They just lost to a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake. Of COURSE there's a question. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Now, if they run the table, maybe it was an anomaly. But if they go 5-5 or 4-6 the rest of the way, don't be surprised. xreadxThe Ivy champs lost to "a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake" last year. The NEC champ lost to "a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake" last year. The PL champ lost to an Ivy team last year, NEC teams beat SoCon and A-10 etc. teams last year. "a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake" does not mean a bad team.

Take a look at ILS for a second and say there is a question. Take a look at the Payton list, the Buchanan list, the caliber of their records recently. If you have a question then you may be alone since most think ILS is a good team.

UNHWildCats
August 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM

Im sorry but if 4 teams deserve to be in the playoffs more then other teams then the hell with the fact that there all from the same conference.

footballfan11
August 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
i just been an observer of the board for awhile and from what i saw there were not a lot of USD fans on here being about their team...most of them were being fans...a lot of the non sense came from outsiders and with the things that harbaugh said everyone just turned them to USD......you posters dont understand how hard it would be for a good non schollie team to get a game because of 2 reasons.....the schollie teams look at it is, there getting nothing from it......if they win then everyone gonna say o well who cares but if they lose all hell will break lose(like right now) so the non schollie teams have to workl with what they got and based on what NEC teams did last year and USD killing Yale and playin Davis(who killed playoff team Montana st 45-0 on the road) tough, and then wit Drakes big win 2night....i feel its time 2 give a little more respect because its not always the non schollies fault the have a bad scheadule.....but they way i see it the gap is closin and the non schollies our coming up

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM
The Ivy champs lost to "a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake" last year. The NEC champ lost to "a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake" last year. The PL champ lost to an Ivy team last year, NEC teams beat SoCon and A-10 etc. teams last year. "a non-schollie PFL team for Christ's sake" does not mean a bad team.

Take a look at ILS for a second and say there is a question. Take a look at the Payton list, the Buchanan list, the caliber of their records recently. If you have a question then you may be alone since most think ILS is a good team.

Ralph, did you read the second sentence in my response, or just start giggling and typing after you got to "for Christ's sake"? xrolleyesx With regard to their recent records, to paraphrase every mutual fund broker, "past performance does not guarantee future results". And with regard to the Payton and Buchanan lists, one-two players do not a team make. Obviously they've got issues. We may THINK Ill. State is a good team....they have yet to prove it.

edit: and using the Ivy League and NEC as comparisons in your argument really doesn't help your case....

FCSFAN
August 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Ralph, did you read the second sentence in my response, or just start giggling and typing after you got to "for Christ's sake"? xrolleyesx With regard to their recent records, to paraphrase every mutual fund broker, "past performance does not guarantee future results". And with regard to the Payton and Buchanan lists, one-two players do not a team make. Obviously they've got issues. We may THINK Ill. State is a good team....they have yet to prove it.Norton, no matter how much you attempt to marginalize Drake's win it will not change the fact that everyone thinks ILS is a good team, I'm glad you agree. If Drake wins out then they should be in playoff contention, the first ever from the PFL.

Old Montana State Grad
August 30th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Im sorry but if 4 teams deserve to be in the playoffs more then other teams then the hell with the fact that there all from the same conference.

Exactly correct. Do away with the dang playoffs and go to a bowl system and then start counting the bowl wins in conference to conference competition.

If we continue with this process, we're going to wind up like the basketball tournament whereby the entire big six conferences are in the tournament, a couple "mid-major" teams receive an obligatory invite before they're sent home, and the national champion is a big six representative anyway.

We have almost reached their point of diminishing returns in that we're beginning to reward teams based upon past performance and those teams in the playoffs receive an extra two, three weeks of practice year after year combined with more actual games.

McNeese_beat
August 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM

Why should a team that doesn't even give scholarships and only plays D-I football because the NCAA makes them play D-I football (remember, many of these teams played in D-III before the NCAA changed the rules) get into a playoff against schools that are committed to playing 63-scholarship football? By your proposal, Drake wouldn't even have to beat an Illinois State or a Northern Iowa to get in.

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Exactly correct. Do away with the dang playoffs and go to a bowl system and then start counting the bowl wins in conference to conference competition.

If we continue with this process, we're going to wind up like the basketball tournament whereby the entire big six conferences are in the tournament, a couple "mid-major" teams receive an obligatory invite before they're sent home, and the national champion is a big six representative anyway.

We have almost reached their point of diminishing returns in that we're beginning to reward teams based upon past performance and those teams in the playoffs receive an extra two, three weeks of practice year after year combined with more actual games.

Wh-wh-whaaaaat????

We already HAVE that system....it's called FBS. Go be a fan of Colorado or Wyoming if you MUST have bowls. There ain't NOTHING wrong with our system....it doesn't need any "fixing". xmadx

footballfan11
August 30th, 2007, 11:48 PM

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx
umm AZGRIZ fan i think your argument does not hold up because MSU got stomped at home by Davis 45-0 at home....USD barely loss to davis on the road and u saying MSU woulda killed USD...i highly doubt that. So before you make out rageous comments check the stats

FargoBison
August 30th, 2007, 11:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PDKcX0Ji90

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx
umm AZGRIZ fan i think your argument does not hold up because MSU got stomped at home by Davis 45-0 at home....USD barely loss to davis on the road and u saying MSU woulda killed USD...i highly doubt that. So before you make out rageous comments check the stats

dude, we've been round and round with the whole "transitive argument". Ain't going there again. MSU had a three game stretch where they stunk last year. Davis was in the middle of that. MSU at the end of the year was a different team. Period. They waxed the #2 team in the almighty SoCon...and they would have waxed USD. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

FCSFAN
August 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM
dude, we've been round and round with the whole "transitive argument". Ain't going there again. MSU had a three game stretch where they stunk last year. Davis was in the middle of that. MSU at the end of the year was a different team. Period. They waxed the #2 team in the almighty SoCon...and they would have waxed USD. "we've been round and round with the whole "transitive argument". --- They waxed the #2 team in the almighty SoCon...and they would have waxed USD."

What's the logic there? xwhistlex

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:57 PM
"we've been round and round with the whole "transitive argument". --- They waxed the #2 team in the almighty SoCon...and they would have waxed USD."

What's the logic there? xwhistlex

That's not transitive, ralph, that's an assumption. xnodx

Old Montana State Grad
August 30th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Furman would not have been in the playoffs had the committee known how beat up their kids were. Happens every year to them, just as in 2001 when Louis Ivory couldn't even walk and Billy Napier was forced to run an option without his main man. We beat a battered, game team.

footballfan11
August 31st, 2007, 12:00 AM

well maybe if there is a davis fan on here right now that seen both teams....maybe they can give their opinion or assumption as azgriz says

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 12:01 AM
Furman would not have been in the playoffs had the committee known how beat up their kids were. Happens every year to them, just as in 2001 when Louis Ivory couldn't even walk and Billy Napier was forced to run an option without his main man. We beat a battered, game team.

Yeah, I know. Because every team keeps their injuries a secret. And the committee is gonna punish a team for not having "healthy" players. Come on.... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JALMOND
August 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM
In my opinion, and speaking right after the first game of the season, Drake would need to go undefeated with wins over both Illinois St and Northern Iowa and have either ISU or UNI win the Gateway, with the other team somehow getting in as well. Drake would be up against the second and third place teams in the Big Sky and Southland and also the second, third and fourth place teams in the Gateway for very few at large spots.

Best thing for Drake fans. Win the schedule, cheer hard for both ISU and UNI (except when you play them), and cheer against teams like Portland State, Sam Houston, Youngstown, Southern Illinois, and Montana State. One down, but you still need help.

FCSFAN
August 31st, 2007, 12:12 AM
well maybe if there is a davis fan on here right now that seen both teams....maybe they can give their opinion or assumption as azgriz saysdon't expect much at this stage from norton

http://www.mpihomevideo.com/featured/honeymooners/honeymoonersimages/NORTON.jpg

he's too busy saying the gateway is a two bid league and illinois state is not any good (ie the drake win is not anything special)

xpeacex

footballfan11
August 31st, 2007, 12:16 AM
don't expect much at this stage from norton

he's too busy saying the gateway is a two bid league and illinois state is not any good (ie the drake win is not anything special)

xpeacex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 12:20 AM
don't expect much at this stage from norton

xpeacex

Now I KNOW that's you ralph....puttin' words in my mouth. I never said Illinois State is not any good. I said there's a question. You're the one who's apparently ready to hand the Gateway title to them--DESPITE their loss to a non-scholly team. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

And the Gateway may be a ONE bid league. I said it's a two team conference---and Ill State ain't one of those teams. Get your facts straight, ralph. xreadx xreadx

laparka316
August 31st, 2007, 12:20 AM
Best thing for Drake fans. Win the schedule, cheer hard for both ISU and UNI (except when you play them), and cheer against teams like Portland State, Sam Houston, Youngstown, Southern Illinois, and Montana State. One down, but you still need help.

Going to be tough to root against our former coach, who brought in every player on the current roster...

youwouldno
August 31st, 2007, 12:22 AM
If Drake runs the table they have a chance. It depends on how Ill St recovers and how good UNI & USD are. But they have to go undefeated and even then it is probably 50/50 at best.

Playoff selection isn't based on injuries. Furman deserved to be in the playoffs last year and just played a horrible game after a long trip to hostile territory. That Montana State team would have beaten USD in any case.

footballfan11
August 31st, 2007, 12:25 AM
If Drake runs the table they have a chance. It depends on how Ill St recovers and how good UNI & USD are. But they have to go undefeated and even then it is probably 50/50 at best.

Playoff selection isn't based on injuries. Furman deserved to be in the playoffs last year and just played a horrible game after a long trip to hostile territory. That Montana State team would have beaten USD in any case.

what makes u belive MSU would have beat USD. Have you watched both teams. How bout this give Rob Ash a Call and see what he thinksxsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 12:34 AM
what makes u belive MSU would have beat USD. Have you watched both teams. How bout this give Rob Ash a Call and see what he thinksxsmiley_wix

He's making an ass-umption, just like you are when you say MSU would lose to USD. That's the beauty of an internet message board. xeyebrowx xcoolx xrolleyesx

footballfan11
August 31st, 2007, 12:40 AM
He's making an ass-umption, just like you are when you say MSU would lose to USD. That's the beauty of an internet message board. xeyebrowx xcoolx xrolleyesx

xnonox xnonox
actually i never said USD would have beat MSU. I said they would not have got their "a** kicked". I gave you my reasoning why i belived that and just told you that your reasoning was not that valid.

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 12:42 AM
xnonox xnonox
actually i never said USD would have beat MSU. I said they would not have got their "a** kicked". I gave you my reasoning why i belived that and just told you that your reasoning was not that valid.

In your mind. I gave you my reasoning also. 3rd game versus 11th game. End of story. Validity confirmed.

Don't read too much into this Drake win (as nice as it was) until we know more about Ill State. If they turn out to be really good, it'll be a very nice win for Drake to hang their hat on. If Ill State is mediocre, well then, in the words of Borat, "not so much".

footballfan11
August 31st, 2007, 12:46 AM
In your mind. I gave you my reasoning also. 3rd game versus 11th game. End of story. Validity confirmed.

Don't read too much into this Drake win (as nice as it was) until we know more about Ill State. If they turn out to be really good, it'll be a very nice win for Drake to hang their hat on. If Ill State is mediocre, well then, in the words of Borat, "not so much".

Well i guess so. Maybe Montana would have beaten UMASS if that was the 3rd game of the season 2.xpeacex

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 12:47 AM
Well i guess so. Maybe Montana would have beaten UMASS if that was the 3rd game of the season 2.xpeacex

Possibly. But we'll never know now, will we.

FCS Go!
August 31st, 2007, 12:50 AM
some stats/logic for footballfan & others:

San Diego lost to UCDavis by 10.
UCDavis beat Montana St by 45. So USD would beat Montana St by 35.
Montana St lost to Montana by 6. So USD would beat Montana by 29.
Montana lost to UMass by 2. So USD would beat UMass by 27.
UMass lost to App St by 11. So USD would beat App St by 16.

Congratulations San Diego, the true FCS national champion!

Now will you guys just quit your whining and talk about Drake?

CrazyCat
August 31st, 2007, 12:53 AM
I just talked to Ash and he said that if he was coaching last years team, they would have kicked USD butt. xthumbsupx

Disclaimer: I didn't actually speak with Coach Ash. It is just my opinion.:D

CrazyCat
August 31st, 2007, 12:55 AM
Oh and good job Drake

footballfan11
August 31st, 2007, 12:56 AM
some stats/logic for footballfan & others:

San Diego lost to UCDavis by 10.
UCDavis beat Montana St by 45. So USD would beat Montana St by 35.
Montana St lost to Montana by 6. So USD would beat Montana by 29.
Montana lost to UMass by 2. So USD would beat UMass by 27.
UMass lost to App St by 11. So USD would beat App St by 16.

Congratulations San Diego, the true FCS national champion!

Now will you guys just quit your whining and talk about Drake?

im not whining... i was jus correcting azgriz fan on his logic....USD might not been able to defeat any of those teams....as for Drake, its remarkable to see what they did considering they lost their coach, months before the season and they had no spring ball with their new coach and came out and defeated a top 25 team.....they have gained a lot of respect for themselves and hopefully a little for the non schollies

footballfan11
August 31st, 2007, 01:01 AM
I just talked to Ash and he said that if he was coaching last years team, they would have kicked USD butt. xthumbsupx

Disclaimer: I didn't actually speak with Coach Ash. It is just my opinion.:D

yea maybe he inherited a 37 pt difference worth of talent.....or maybe it was him cause with Ash drake got killed by the gateway teams....but LONEY ,for now has the drake fans saying ROB who???????????

Old Montana State Grad
August 31st, 2007, 01:03 AM
im not whining... i was jus correcting azgriz fan on his logic....USD might not been able to defeat any of those teams....as for Drake, its remarkable to see what they did considering they lost their coach, months before the season and they had no spring ball with their new coach and came out and defeated a top 25 team.....they have gained a lot of respect for themselves and hopefully a little for the non schollies

AZgriz and logic in the same sentence? Even their fanbase banish those unable to congratulate a team such as Drake for the fine showing and want to see success in all our student athletes and the coaches who take on this challenge. I for one will hope to see their former coach and present coach have great years.

JALMOND
August 31st, 2007, 01:09 AM
Going to be tough to root against our former coach, who brought in every player on the current roster...

Wouldn't that be interesting if the committee would take an 11-0 Drake team over an 8-3 Montana State team. Ash would probably second guess his own leaving.

Course that is just an Ash-sumption. :D

89Hen
August 31st, 2007, 06:54 AM
xtwocentsx

At 11-0 I don't see how they don't make it, unless there are 16 other teams at 11-0.

At 10-1 it's doubtful.

Strange that one game could make that much of a difference, but it does. 10-1 puts them at 8-1 in the eyes of the committee. Now you've just thrown a bunch more teams in with them IMO.

AmsterBison
August 31st, 2007, 07:00 AM
I tell you one thing, if Drake goes 11-0, they should get into the playoffs before Illinois State or UNI.

DetroitFlyer
August 31st, 2007, 09:46 AM
As usual, the old guard misses the point completely.... Fortunately, you all have me around to keep you focused.

The PFL Champion should receive an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs! Drake just defeated a top ten, fully funded, playing at home, FCS team.... And yet, the old guard simply cannot acknowledge that year in and year out, the PFL Champion can not only compete with ranked FCS teams from let's just say more traditional FCS conferences, they can actually win a game once in a while.... Drake is something like 1-11 against Gateway teams as of last night. The record would indicate that Drake is going to more than likely lose more than they win against Gateway teams. As last night proved, however, a top PFL team could certainly be competitive in the FCS playoffs, and maybe even win a game every ten years or so.... Certainly no worse than what we see from some "old guard" conferences in the playoffs! This nonsense of having to schedule yourself into the playoffs has to stop! It is far past time the NCAA does the right thing and invites all eligible conference champions to the FCS playoffs. Time for the old guard to step aside and welcome more conference champs to the dance!

It does not matter if it is Drake, USD, or some other deserving PFL team. Win the league, you should go to the playoffs!

GannonFan
August 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM
As usual, the old guard misses the point completely.... Fortunately, you all have me around to keep you focused.

The PFL Champion should receive an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs! Drake just defeated a top ten, fully funded, playing at home, FCS team.... And yet, the old guard simply cannot acknowledge that year in and year out, the PFL Champion can not only compete with ranked FCS teams from let's just say more traditional FCS conferences, they can actually win a game once in a while.... Drake is something like 1-11 against Gateway teams as of last night. The record would indicate that Drake is going to more than likely lose more than they win against Gateway teams. As last night proved, however, a top PFL team could certainly be competitive in the FCS playoffs, and maybe even win a game every ten years or so.... Certainly no worse than what we see from some "old guard" conferences in the playoffs! This nonsense of having to schedule yourself into the playoffs has to stop! It is far past time the NCAA does the right thing and invites all eligible conference champions to the FCS playoffs. Time for the old guard to step aside and welcome more conference champs to the dance!

It does not matter if it is Drake, USD, or some other deserving PFL team. Win the league, you should go to the playoffs!

Let me sum up that post for ya - wah wah wah, we don't want to earn it, we just want to get into the playoffs and not have to rely on, say, winning games against a good schedule. Never mind that most years 15 or all 16 of the teams in the playoffs would get in based on merit rather than relying on the autobid, I want my conference to not have to worry about things like merit - I want an auto and I don't care if our teams don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Sums it up very nicely. xthumbsupx

Khan4Cats
August 31st, 2007, 10:24 AM
Drake at 11-0, should get serious attention to be in, and should be in over a 7-4 team. The only caveat would be if ISU, UNI and USD all completely tank this year.

Ivytalk
August 31st, 2007, 10:25 AM
xtwocentsx

At 11-0 I don't see how they don't make it, unless there are 16 other teams at 11-0.

At 10-1 it's doubtful.

Strange that one game could make that much of a difference, but it does. 10-1 puts them at 8-1 in the eyes of the committee. Now you've just thrown a bunch more teams in with them IMO.

From one Old Guarder to another, that sums it up nicely!xthumbsupx

andy7171
August 31st, 2007, 10:33 AM
At 11-0 I would think it would be hard to justify keeping them out, or anyone for that matter. However...

CALENDAR CHECK! Week ONE, began last night. Let's not start projecting Drake to an undefeated season. Big tests still remain on the schedule. Going undefeated is not something that happens easily.

midwestgold
August 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Let's take it for what it was.It was a great win for a smaller program,frankly against all odds.How many of us would have given them a chance to be within 3 touchdowns?And while we are postulating about playoffs,etc.what,if by chance,Drake ended up being middle of the road in the PFL and ISU went to the head of the class in the Gateway?Then you would really have some thing to spout off about.Once again,Congrats Drake!

MPLSGRIZZLY
August 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM
North Dakota isn't FCS yet xeyebrowx xconfusedx

True, but when they are, they will be up on a lot of FCS schools. Ask UNI about that.

DUPFLFan
August 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM
yea maybe he inherited a 37 pt difference worth of talent.....or maybe it was him cause with Ash drake got killed by the gateway teams....but LONEY ,for now has the drake fans saying ROB who???????????
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

DUPFLFan
August 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
At 11-0 I would think it would be hard to justify keeping them out, or anyone for that matter. However...

CALENDAR CHECK! Week ONE, began last night. Let's not start projecting Drake to an undefeated season. Big tests still remain on the schedule. Going undefeated is not something that happens easily.

Completely agree. Let's wait until all the results are in.

For me today, I'm enjoying the imagery of Patty V choking on her fruit loops this morning...

GannonFan
August 31st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Completely agree. Let's wait until all the results are in.

For me today, I'm enjoying the imagery of Patty V choking on her fruit loops this morning...

What do you think the college Presidents and AD's of the PFL are doing, then, considering that they tell Patty what to say????

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 11:22 AM
Norton, no matter how much you attempt to marginalize Drake's win it will not change the fact that everyone thinks ILS is a good team, I'm glad you agree. If Drake wins out then they should be in playoff contention, the first ever from the PFL.

Ralph:

1) It took me until this morning to figure out why you were calling me Norton. Now I get it. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

2) If Drake wins out and ISU goes 3-8, the win don't mean squat. Just another victory over a *****ty team. If Drake wins out and ISU wins the Gateway and UNI finishes second, well then we'll have something to talk about.

3) I don't think Drake will win out, and I don't think ISU goes 3-8, but you never know, do you? ;) ;)

youwouldno
August 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
I think one point should be clarified here: Drake's win, on the road against a 63-scholarship team, is impressive regardless of exactly how well Ill St does this year.

However, for playoff consideration, obviously how good Ill St & UNI are (assuming Drake wins that game, which is highly unlikely) is of great importance.

AZGrizFan
August 31st, 2007, 01:07 PM
I think one point should be clarified here: Drake's win, on the road against a 63-scholarship team, is impressive regardless of exactly how well Ill St does this year.

However, for playoff consideration, obviously how good Ill St & UNI are (assuming Drake wins that game, which is highly unlikely) is of great importance.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with both points. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

JALMOND
August 31st, 2007, 08:09 PM
One thing about Drake, they took care of the first test, having to beat a traditionally good Gateway team on the road. It makes the Northern Iowa game bigger than it probably was just last week. Also, point to remember, UNI has to go to Des Moines for that game, as it is Drake's home game. Drake does not have to go anywhere for that big game.

They do have to go to San Diego, though.

ngineer
August 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM

Exactly...now if UNI goes 10-1 or 9-2 with a loss to Drake, AND Drake runs the table, then they certainly have a case.

Peems
September 1st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Wouldn't that be interesting if the committee would take an 11-0 Drake team over an 8-3 Montana State team. Ash would probably second guess his own leaving.

Course that is just an Ash-sumption. :D

That's what I was thinking, oh the irony we would have.

crunifan
September 1st, 2007, 01:34 AM
One thing about Drake, they took care of the first test, having to beat a traditionally good Gateway team on the road. It makes the Northern Iowa game bigger than it probably was just last week. Also, point to remember, UNI has to go to Des Moines for that game, as it is Drake's home game. Drake does not have to go anywhere for that big game.

They do have to go to San Diego, though.

Let's remember that Des Moines holds more UNI alums than any other city. So, as we did last year, there will be as many, if not more UNI fans in Drake Stadium as Drake fans. It's not a "real" road gamefor UNI.

Cap'n Cat
September 1st, 2007, 11:04 AM
Let's remember that Des Moines holds more UNI alums than any other city. So, as we did last year, there will be as many, if not more UNI fans in Drake Stadium as Drake fans. It's not a "real" road gamefor UNI.

No *****, Cedar Rapids guy.

Funny how UNI has already lost to Drake with some of these guys. It's flippin' Week 1!!!!,

What's the combined score of the last two UNI > Drake victories? 200-30, or something?

BTW, Montana fans would kill for an opponent like Drake. Uh, well, maybe they wouldn't.........

xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx

JoltinJoe
September 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Ralph:

1) It took me until this morning to figure out why you were calling me Norton. Now I get it. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Duh.xnutsx

Are there more like you at home?xlolx