PDA

View Full Version : USA Today on BCS-FCS inter-division play, name changes

terrierbob
August 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I read this while I was eating biscuits and gravy:

Weber State's game with 23rd-ranked Boise State tonight begins a string of David vs. Goliath showdowns between the two divisions in the NCAA's top classification.

Weber is a member of what was previously known as I-AA, now the Football Championship Subdivision. Boise competes in I-A (now called Football Bowl Subdivision).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-08-29-ia-iaa-matchups_N.htm

LBPop
August 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure I buy into the "win-win" and "plus-minus" argument. On the hosting FBS side, the additional $$ from an additional game is obvious. But it seems to me that this "almost certain win" thing is not a benefit at all. If the FCS school plays them close, or pulls out a victory, the big deal FBS school will be ermbarrassed. Since voting still counts in the BCS standings, I think these schools are taking some risk.

On the other side of this argument is the "almost certain defeat." My reaction is, "So what?" If David had lost to Goliath, I don't think he would have lost any support when the tournament entries were selected. As for the injury thing, that sounded a little condescending to me. I guess these people see the FCS schools as having a bunch of tiny, little, out-of-shape, and weak pretend football players who will literally get run over by the big boys. Sure there will likely be a size difference and/or a speed difference, but will it translate to carnage on the field? I don't think so. xtwocentsx

TigerFan17
August 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Well the smallest Boise State lineman is 7'4" 452 lbs. And Weber's biggest is only 5'8" 163 lbs. If you're not in the FBS, you're probably a cripple.

aztecjim
August 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
>>Well the smallest Boise State lineman is 7'4" 452 lbs. <<

7'4"????

Minuteman87
August 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Well the smallest Boise State lineman is 7'4" 452 lbs. And Weber's biggest is only 5'8" 163 lbs. If you're not in the FBS, you're probably a cripple.

Priceless TigerFan17! I can't stop laughing. If you make it up to Amherst on the 15th I'll buy you a hot dog! (or meet me at The Pub or Amherst Brewing Co. downtown for a beer).

No_Skill
August 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that injury thing is a load of crap.

In fact, one could argue that there would be more injuries playing lower level competition. Poor tackling technique, more frustration fouls, etc.

TigerFan17
August 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Priceless TigerFan17! I can't stop laughing. If you make it up to Amherst on the 15th I'll buy you a hot dog! (or meet me at The Pub or Amherst Brewing Co. downtown for a beer).

Haha thanks, I think someone above didn't get my joke. Unfortunately I can't make it up there. I'll be watching on TV though, so maybe give the cameraman a beer while he is filming, and I will drink it with you in spirit.

melloAggiesousa
August 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
The injury bug usually hits the losing FBS coach the hardest. It'll kill his career.

See Stanford.