PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoffs Bracket and Predictions

SU DOG
October 22nd, 2021, 08:22 AM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-10-21/2021-fcs-playoff-bracket-predictions-teams-seeds-picks

kalm
October 22nd, 2021, 08:37 AM
The SoCon with 3 is questionable. Assuming a one loss SIU as the three, they should be switched with SHSU.

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2021, 08:59 AM
If both NDSU and SIU finish undefeated in conference NDSU likely gets the autobid since the tie breaker would go down to Sagarin ratings I believe and NDSU has a pretty big advantage there over SIU right now at least. Beyond that I would be floored if an 11-0 NDSU got the #5 seed but with the way they're projecting all the favorites (Nova, Sam Houston, EWU, SIU) to win out someone is going to be pissed if that does happen. Personally, I think that would be a 10-0 Sam Houston at the bottom of that pile but it's very unlikely they all win out so the point is probably moot.

Bisonator
October 22nd, 2021, 09:48 AM
This is beyond awful and it's from the NCAA? My gawd!xholyx

putter
October 22nd, 2021, 10:03 AM
I am so sick of regionalization .....

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2021, 10:04 AM
This is beyond awful and it's from the NCAA? My gawd!xholyx
It’s from a dude who writes for NCAA.com - not an ‘official’ NCAA projection. He says something to that effect in the article.

UNHWildcat18
October 22nd, 2021, 10:06 AM
I have a feeling UNH will not be making the playoffs...

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2021, 10:14 AM
I have a feeling UNH will not be making the playoffs...

.....IS MARTY IN PRISON.....xdontknowx.......HE SHOOD BE...xsighx.....AWQUE!

UNHWildcat18
October 22nd, 2021, 10:24 AM
.....IS MARTY IN PRISON.....xdontknowx.....HE SHOOD BE...xsighx.....AWQUE!

Oh in the words of AL BUNDY, WHY DON'T YOU JUST BUCK BUCK BUCK BUCK BUCK ON OUTTA HERE.

MSUBobcat
October 22nd, 2021, 10:31 AM
Montana vs. UC-Davis and MSU vs. Sac State, and the MSU-Sac winner funnels into EWU. Weeeeeeeeeeeee! xboringx "Regionalization" needs to go. College hockey attempts to seed the entire field, then makes moves to avoid intra-conference matchups, then will only make a move if it eliminates a flight (I believe anything over 400 miles is a flight). There are only 3 of the 8 games that are bus trips, by my estimation: UNH-Holy Cross, VMI-Duquesne, and Davidson-Chatty. If there's 5 other games requiring a flight, it makes no sense that Sac should fly to Bozeman instead of SLU or Mo State, or Davis to fly to Missoula instead of Martin, TN, etc.

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2021, 10:38 AM
Montana vs. UC-Davis and MSU vs. Sac State, and the MSU-Sac winner funnels into EWU. Weeeeeeeeeeeee! xboringx "Regionalization" needs to go. College hockey attempts to seed the entire field, then makes moves to avoid intra-conference matchups, then will only make a move if it eliminates a flight (I believe anything over 400 miles is a flight). There are only 3 of the 8 games that are bus trips, by my estimation: UNH-Holy Cross, VMI-Duquesne, and Davidson-Chatty. If there's 5 other games requiring a flight, it makes no sense that Sac should fly to Bozeman instead of SLU or Mo State, or Davis to fly to Missoula instead of Martin, TN, etc.
Yeah, the dumbest thing about those Big Sky matchups is it's a flight anyway for those teams. They could easily split those two matchups with SLU/Kennesaw and South Dakota/UTM in this scenario, not add any more flights (could still put the South Dakota matchup in SDSU's pod if they want to try to scrimp there), and avoid any inter-conference matchups in the first round.

But this is just a mostly random rube's effort which I'm guessing entailed a few hours of work tops... the selection committee should at least be more meticulous about it.

caribbeanhen
October 22nd, 2021, 11:50 AM
I am so sick of regionalization .....

this

MSUBobcat
October 22nd, 2021, 01:46 PM
Yeah, the dumbest thing about those Big Sky matchups is it's a flight anyway for those teams. They could easily split those two matchups with SLU/Kennesaw and South Dakota/UTM in this scenario, not add any more flights (could still put the South Dakota matchup in SDSU's pod if they want to try to scrimp there), and avoid any inter-conference matchups in the first round.

But this is just a mostly random rube's effort which I'm guessing entailed a few hours of work tops... the selection committee should at least be more meticulous about it.

I knew it was just for fun, but I didn't make it past the bracket. Upon further review, I'm not sure how much attention the writer has been paying. He has the Griz finishing 9-2, meaning they win out. With the way things have been going, I don't think there's even many GRIZ fans that are optimistic of running the table. Idaho isn't a gimme, but definitely a likely win, and SUU and NoCo... well, chalk that up as a win. But NAU at Walkup is a tough game with their Fr. QB Martinez getting comfortable running the offense. And I'd say most favor MSU in the Brawl at this point in time. Not saying a lot can't change and they right the ship a bit with some tuneup games but man......

MUHAWKS
October 22nd, 2021, 02:56 PM
did you guys see the bottom? The "just missed" part? I am as big a Monmouth homer as their is and they claim they will just miss at 6-5!! LMFAO!! They would not even get in if they were 8-3 and didnt win the conference..

Hammerhead
October 22nd, 2021, 03:35 PM
The final tiebreaker for the MVFC autobid is the Sagarin rating and I don't see SIU going higher than NDSU if both teams win the rest of their games since NDSU would get a boost if they beat SDSU who is currently #1 in Sagarin.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 22nd, 2021, 06:46 PM
A 7-4 (7-2 against FCS competition) Fordham would get a look if he options are similar to the ones listed on the article....

uofmman1122
October 22nd, 2021, 07:30 PM
I knew it was just for fun, but I didn't make it past the bracket. Upon further review, I'm not sure how much attention the writer has been paying. He has the Griz finishing 9-2, meaning they win out. With the way things have been going, I don't think there's even many GRIZ fans that are optimistic of running the table. Idaho isn't a gimme, but definitely a likely win, and SUU and NoCo... well, chalk that up as a win. But NAU at Walkup is a tough game with their Fr. QB Martinez getting comfortable running the offense. And I'd say most favor MSU in the Brawl at this point in time. Not saying a lot can't change and they right the ship a bit with some tuneup games but man......
Unless we just catch fire down the stretch, I have 0 confidence in us going 9-2, and 8-3 even feels like a stretch at this point. We have too many injuries to overcome this season.

I think we're more much likely to go 7-4 than 9-2.

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2021, 08:02 PM
4 Valley teams on the same side of the bracket? Doesn't seem fair, not that that would stop the NCAA from doing it.

Chalupa Batman
October 22nd, 2021, 09:12 PM
4 Valley teams on the same side of the bracket? Doesn't seem fair, not that that would stop the NCAA from doing it.

2015 had 5 Valley teams all one side of the bracket, the year after NDSU & ISUr played in Frisco. Coincidence I’m sure.

kalm
October 23rd, 2021, 08:38 AM
A 7-4 (7-2 against FCS competition) Fordham would get a look if he options are similar to the ones listed on the article....

With maybe one quality win against HC and coming from a weak conference with a projected SOS of 70?

crusader11
October 23rd, 2021, 10:21 AM

Fordham needed to beat Monmouth to have a chance.

Holy Cross at 8-3, assuming the loss is to Fordham and they don’t win the league, would be an interesting study. A lot depends on how Yale and Monmouth finish their seasons. I think they’d be on the outside looking in, but if the at-large pool is weak they’ll be in the conversation.

Houndawg
October 23rd, 2021, 11:43 AM
The final tiebreaker for the MVFC autobid is the Sagarin rating and I don't see SIU going higher than NDSU if both teams win the rest of their games since NDSU would get a boost if they beat SDSU who is currently #1 in Sagarin.

SIU isn't going to win out, either UNI or MSU will catch us sleepwalking

JacksFan40
October 23rd, 2021, 12:37 PM
2015 had 5 Valley teams all one side of the bracket, the year after NDSU & ISUr played in Frisco. Coincidence I’m sure.
Seems like they have done their best job at making sure SDSU and NDSU don't meet up in Frisco. 2017 was the only real chance at it happening and we all know what happened to SDSU in the semifinals. Outside of that they've been on the same side of the bracket just about every year.