PDA

View Full Version : Which Division I-AA games will be moved or cancelled?

Lumberjacks76
August 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Due to the hurricane, it is possible that a number of September 1 and September 10 games may be moved or even cancelled due to Katrina.

Any news on which games may be moved or cancelled? Or is it too early to tell?

P.S. I'm sort of hoping, as an ASU and NAU fan, that the ASU-LSU football game is moved to Tempe. But it would suck for LSU to have to travel immediately after a major hurricane.

Paul

X-Factor
August 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I am still hoping for a Northwestern State vs. NDSU matchup on Sept. 10, but I don't know how that is going to happen.

Retro
August 29th, 2005, 01:53 PM
NONE!

The only team that would be affected is possibly Jackson State, because they are going to get some heavy winds and rain and they have 3 home games per the schedule, but some of those may be so called "classics" played elsewhere. Southern is away for first 2 games as is Nicholls State.

sibiur
August 29th, 2005, 02:59 PM
This game is Saturday; guess the decision to cancel/move it depends on how much damage/flooding that new turf at Alcorn sustains over the next day or so.

McNeeserocket
August 29th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Northwestern and NDSU game will not be affected by this hurricane. Northwestern probably didn't get anything but maybe a sprinkle or two from this hurricane. McNeese and Southern will play in Lake Charles this Saturday. Lake Charles got a sprinkle or two only. You would never know there was a hurricane in SW Louisiana if you didn't listen to the news!

McTailGator
August 29th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Due to the hurricane, it is possible that a number of September 1 and September 10 games may be moved or even cancelled due to Katrina.

Any news on which games may be moved or cancelled? Or is it too early to tell?

P.S. I'm sort of hoping, as an ASU and NAU fan, that the ASU-LSU football game is moved to Tempe. But it would suck for LSU to have to travel immediately after a major hurricane.

Paul

LSU makes more than $3,500,000 off of each home game. Unless their entire team got washed out into the Gulf, they WILL NOT change a date, time, or venue. I guarantee that.

Plus, Baton Rouge made out OK in the storm.

Tulane is on the road for the first week, so the Dome should be OK by the 17th when they host Miss St. The Saints however, might have to think about going elsewhere given the fact that much of their city is 12 feet under water right now.

Southeastern La. has it's 1st 2 games at home in Hamond, which is pretty high ground, so what ever damage they might have could be mitigated easily by then. Remember, most of a Hurricanes damage comes from storm surge, which Hammond did not get.

Nicholls State was in an area that got hit VERY hard and there is still no word from that part of the state yet. But they don't host a home game until Sept. 17th, so they should also have their stadium ready to go by then as well.

Northwestern, & McNeese expereinced fantastic 85 degree low humidity weather during this storm as we were on the left side of the eye and completely on the oposite end of the state where the storm came on shore.

I just got finished mowing the lawn, so that will tell you how dry our weather has been all day.

Retro
August 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM
The Saints however, might have to think about going elsewhere given the fact that much of their city is 12 feet under water right now.

The saints have a Road pre-season game this week in Oakland and then open the following week in Carolina, so they have time to get things ready..

ngineer
August 29th, 2005, 09:53 PM
The saints have a Road pre-season game this week in Oakland and then open the following week in Carolina, so they have time to get things ready..

Lookin' at the Dome's roof on the news--don't know if it will be ready in couple weeks. Bigger problem is going to New Orleans. It could be weeks before they get all the water pumped out of the city. City services and utilities will likely not be satisfactory. I would not be surprised to see some schedule or location shuffling for both Tulane and the Saints.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Lookin' at the Dome's roof on the news--don't know if it will be ready in couple weeks. Bigger problem is going to New Orleans. It could be weeks before they get all the water pumped out of the city. City services and utilities will likely not be satisfactory. I would not be surprised to see some schedule or location shuffling for both Tulane and the Saints.

Agreed. Furthermore, what's the priority on the Superdome, compared to the water cleanup, power, restoring of government services, etc.? Fixing that roof has to be a very low priority.

Then you have to think of Nichols St... where will they play? It coud be months before a field is ready. They may truly have to play way out of town.

eaglesrthe1
August 30th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Most people don't realize...that if you aren't in the direct path of the hurricane...then you won't get much damage. If you look at the satellite images, then you think to yourself...my God...it covers the entire state. But, that is just the cloud cover.

The problem is, that you don't know where it is going to go, so you have to prepare as if it is going to come directly over your house when it is still two days out.

The truth is that, for most storms if you are more than 75-100 miles from the eye when it makes landfall then you are going to get winds that are more in the tropical storm category. Also, once the storm makes landfall, it loses windspeed quickly. So even if you are in the direct path, if you are more than 75 miles from the coast, then you will also probably just see tropical storm windspeeds also.

If you are in a low lying area, you can get some flooding even some distance from the storm, not trying to downplay that, but there is a lot of sensationalism that goes on.

Hurricanes are serious, but the worst part is the evacuations. When Hugo came through, the entire east coast of Florida evacuated first, then the east coast of Ga. But of course by then, all the hotel rooms inland had been taken up by the Fla residents. The closest thing that my family could find was Columbus, Ga...250 miles away. We left home at 10am in the morning...took 6 hrs to cover 50 miles. Including 3 hrs that I pulled over on the side of the road to sleep...not at a rest stop...but on the side of the highway, it took 20 hrs to cover that 250 miles. Got to Columbus @ 6 am the next morning. It had to be the most frustrating day of my life. We stopped once to refuel ...once at a shelter that wouldn't take us in because they were full, but let us use the restroom, and those three hours because I was just too exhuasted to drive anymore.

I learned a lot from that one, mainly to leave earlier, not to wait until they say you must evacuate. We leave when they ask for volunteers. Just treat it as a 2-3 day unplanned vacation and get the hell out of town. Because you just never know, it might just drop down on your house and it's too late to make up your mind then.

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
From WWL-TV Forums...

NICHOLS STATE UNIVERSITY IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!!

I just got off the phone with the nichols police department (985-448-4746 for those that want to call). They do not know when classes will reopen and those of us who stay in the dorm cannot stay there or go in and pick up items. This is what I was told as of 8:15 this morning. I am sure other colleges in the area may be doing the same.

Marcus Garvey
August 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Most people don't realize...that if you aren't in the direct path of the hurricane...then you won't get much damage. If you look at the satellite images, then you think to yourself...my God...it covers the entire state. But, that is just the cloud cover.

You won't get much "wind" damage. But there is a *****load of rain that will be dropped on those areas. Flooding can be just as costly.

Anyway, I think it's a 65% chance right now that the Saints will have to move their home opener. Tulane may just cancel their game with MSU, or move it to the first week of Dec. (the only common open-date between them). But, being a non-conference game among 2 of the worst teams in I-A, there won't be much presssure to make it up if it's cancelled.

Where would the Saints play if the Superdome is not ready? Baton Rouge? That seems obvious. If Tiger Stadium wasn't available, what are some other places, within their "market" that they could play? Is Birmingham too close to Atlanta? For that matter, how has Birmingham weathered the storm well?
How big is the stadium in Shreveport?

golionsgo
August 30th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Where would the Saints play if the Superdome is not ready? Baton Rouge? That seems obvious. If Tiger Stadium wasn't available, what are some other places, within their "market" that they could play? Is Birmingham too close to Atlanta? For that matter, how has Birmingham weathered the storm well?
How big is the stadium in Shreveport?

Memorial Stadium in Jackson, MS would be an option.

Coastal89
August 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
The truth is that, for most storms if you are more than 75-100 miles from the eye when it makes landfall then you are going to get winds that are more in the tropical storm category.
I'll disagree with some of what you said ERT1. These pictures are from the Garden City, Murrells Inlet area after Hugo in 1989. This area is about 80 miles north of where the eye came ashore.
http://homepages.uc.edu:8000/~maynarjb/images/hurricane6.jpg
http://homepages.uc.edu:8000/~maynarjb/images/hurricane11.jpg
http://homepages.uc.edu:8000/~maynarjb/images/hurricane13.jpg

Husky Alum
August 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I have a friend who is on an alumni advisory board at Tulane and she told me that they'd be "lucky" to have things in order by October to have classes.

A partner in my firm has a daughter down there at freshman orientation and they've relocated to Jackson, MS. He said that they were told that they will likely be sent home and be asked to wait for further instructions before reporting back to campus for classes.

As an aside, they're evacuating the SuperDome this afternoon.

galojay
August 30th, 2005, 06:41 PM
FYI- LSU game against North Texas was postponed.

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2005, 07:02 PM
As some of you know, I work in an NAIA conference. With our conference having four schools in New Orleans and two in Mobile as well as some in Mississippi, I'm not quite sure what to expect as it relates to intercollegiate athletics at my school. This could very well terminate our volleyball schedule (there was a tournament scheduled for New Orleans next week) and could change basketball for sure.

McNeeserocket
August 31st, 2005, 07:55 AM
It has now become apparent that this storm was truely catastrophic from the standpoint of loss of life, property, and the future economy. My guess is that this storm may be considered the worst natural disaster to hit the U.S. ever! The loss of life alone will be staggering.

With that in mind, college football and other athletics seem unimportant. Instead of worrying about games, we should be concentrating on what we can do to help some of our fellow citizens. For those of you that pray, prayers are desperately needed.