PDA

View Full Version : Why do we still have a "FCS Mid-major" poll?

aceinthehole
August 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/agn4099356.htm

The Sports Network issued a 2007 FCS Mid-Major poll - my question is why?

According to TSN: "The Sports Network FCS Mid-Major Top 10 poll includes the 19 programs of the MAAC, NEC, and Pioneer Leagues, which play at a non-scholarship or limited scholarship level. An updated poll, which is based on the votes of selected media members and FCS mid-major Sports Information Directors, is announced each Monday during the regular season."

Why are NEC SIDs voting for this poll? This is stupid!

CCSU and Monmouth have already received votes in some pre-season FCS poll. Albany is the league favorite and could easily be ranked with a few key wins. We know that 2 NEC teams were ranked in the top-25 last year. (Yes, San Diego has RV this year and was ranked last year too)

IMO - the NEC schools have to stop participating in this poll. We can't stop the media from issuing a "mid-major" poll, but encourging it by voting is a bad idea.

Not only that but what is the value of a Top-10 poll, when there are just 19 teams to choose from. More than 50% of these teams will be "ranked."

UAalum72
August 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe the poll is there to help Pete decide who to exclude from his poll.

19 schools, plus 'selected media members' combined to cast only 17 ballots. Maybe a lot of the NEC SIDs are not voting already.

Polywog
August 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM
So if they have a Top 10 for the 19 "mid-majors", should't the rest of the FCS have a Top 65 for the upper 50% of that division?

henfan
August 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM
The Sports Network issued a 2007 FCS Mid-Major poll - my question is why?

My guess: the three leagues still think they'll get mileage out of the Mid-Major poll. If they believed the poll to be entirely pointless, they would have asked TSN to suspend it.

NB- TSN will also hand out Mid-Major player post-season All-American awards.

Model Citizen
August 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'm with Ace. Both the NEC and PFL have a self-respect problem.

henfan
August 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I'm with Ace. Both the NEC and PFL have a self-respect problem.

I completely disagree.

I think both conferences realize that they would largely be shut out of TSN's FCS poll and post season awards without their own honors. That may change in the future but, for now, they obviously see value in it.

rmutv
August 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I completely disagree.

I think both conferences realize that they would largely be shut out of TSN's FCS poll and post season awards without their own honors. That may change in the future but, for now, they obviously see value in it.

Exactly, it's something for the programs to hang their hat on and try and draw recognition to the team.

Seahawks Fan
August 30th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I completely disagree.

I agree. We don't have parity just yet.

andy7171
August 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I think if you remove Albany, Monmouth and CCSU from the equation, the majority of the remaining schools in the NEC, PFL and MAAC like the mid-major top 10.

aceinthehole
August 30th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I won't re-hash last year's accomplishments, but already this year the NEC has been recognized, and we haven't played a game:

- Albany's Colin Disch was named to TSN Preseason All-America 2nd Team
- Monmouth received 1 vote in the FCS Preseason Coaches Top-25 poll
- Future NEC member Duquense received 3 votesin the FCS Preseason Coaches Top-25 poll
- CCSU received 4 votes in the TSN Top-25 poll

As other have pointed out, NEC teams are acually picked to win some games vs. fully scholly teams! I'm not saying we have "made it" to the big time, but to keep refering to our conference as a mid-major is not helping. If UA, CCSU and Monmouth can win some big games, they could be ranked in the Top-25 poll, so why do we need a mid-major poll.

If we (the NEC) want to be considered a "real" FCS conference with a goal of participating in the playoffs, then it doesn't make sense to keep calling ourslves "mid-majors." We can't control the media, but the NEC is doing its members a huge disservice by participating or promoting the "mid-major" designation!

henfan
August 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Ace, I'm guessing the NEC, PFL & MAAC folks are looking for something more than recognition under the "Others receiving votes" category to tout their programs. Until regular Top 25 votes become consistent and until they begin to place more than a couple of players on the FCS All-America teams, I don't expect them to be in a big hurry to abandon support of the 'mid-major' label. This will all take care of itself as schools continue to invest in FB and make competitive in-roads. Several schools are on the right track already.

DUPFLFan
August 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM
To quote Detroit Flyer...

This is a way for the "old guard" to segregate those conferences and separate them from the teams that have a shot to go to the playoffs...

Flame suit on...

UAalum72
August 30th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I don't expect them to be in a big hurry to abandon support of the 'mid-major' label. This will all take care of itself as schools continue to invest in FB and make competitive in-roads.
I don't think it will 'take care of itself'. We have to take care of it by refusing to be a part of it. The Ivy League, though "non-scholarship" and out of the playoffs, refuses to be called mid-major.

Don Hansen's MM poll still includes Stony Brook this year.

henfan
August 30th, 2007, 03:58 PM
This is all urinating in the wind.

The mid-major label is not something the TSN foist upon a unwilling group of teams & conferences. Again, if the PFL & NEC collectively agreed to no longer be part of the TSN Mid-Major poll and post-season awards, of course it would end. But until those conferences catch up competitively and resource-wise with the rest of the FCS and feel comfortable abandoning the label, my guess is that they will continue to see value in the additional poll & honors. As I said, they understand that this will take care of itself in due time.

In the meantime, as long as the PFL, NEC & MAAC schools are eligible to receive votes in the TSN FCS poll & are their players are eligible for post-season honors, there's really little issue. Maybe try peddling the "it's pointless" argument to the players who receive TSN post-season honors. I'm sure they and their families wouldn't agree with this sentiment.

As for Don Hansen, please! Few people really pay attention to his polls. The TSN polls are the ones most widely covered by regional media. Wicked Pete, Don Hansen, Joe Blow and the rest of them are largely ignored.