PDA

View Full Version : NEC week 1 predictions

BobbyMo
August 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Inspired by some other conferences prediction threads, and the fact that I have not seen any NEC prediction threads I thought I would start one.

CCSU @ Towson: Should be an interesting game, wish I could be there to see it. The pick = Towson by 3.

Sacred Heart @ Assumption: Do not know anything about Assumption, so I going with the NEC. The pick = Sacred Heart by 7.

Wagner @ Western Connecticut State: Again, I do not know anything about Western Conn., and again, ill go with NEC. The pick = Wagner by 10.

Dayton @ Robert Morris: Obviously I am an RMU fan, but I do think this will be a good game that could go either way. The pick = RMU by 3.

Albany @ Colgate: From what I read here about Colgate, they do not start the season well and Albany is a heck of a team. The Pick = Albany by 10.

Monmouth @ Maine: One of RMU’s coaches is currently coaching at Maine, so I will root for Maine in every game but this. Another interesting game for the NEC. The pick = Maine by 6.

Bonus Picks

Bucknell @ Duquesne: Since the Dukes are going to be in the NEC next year I figured I would take a shot at this one. The pick = Dukes by 12.

Georgetown @ Stony Brook: The Seawolves said bye-bye to NEC this year, but oh well. I was not to impressed with them when I watched RMU play them last year, but I have heard from posters here that they are a different team. I am going to go with the posters. The pick: S-Wolves by 14.

So those are my picks, I have a pretty good knowledge about RMU, and a little bit about at least one team in games picked but am far from an expert. Would love to see what other NEC and FCS fans in general have to say.

Go RMU and Go NEC.

TheValleyRaider
August 28th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Ask and ye shall recieve

CCSU at Towson Towson CCSU has some good road experience, but the Tigers are a national darkhorse this year, I think.

Sacred Heart at Assumption Sacred Heart I was going to make a joke about "Assuming" or something like that. Instead, I'll point out that SHU visits Colgate to open our hockey schedule October 12 :)

Wagner at Western Connecticut State Wagner Go FCS! Beat D-IIs! xnodx xthumbsupx

Dayton at Robert Morris Robert Morris It's your thread, so I'll be nice. I really have nothing else to base this on.

Albany at Colgate xwhistlex xrotatehx xhomerx

Monmouth at Maine Maine I think Maine usually waits for A-1..excuse me, CAA games before they stumble

Good luck this season xthumbsupx

Just not against the Patriot League

UAalum72
August 28th, 2007, 05:32 AM
CCSU @ Towson: Tough game, but TU at home and getting love from CAA predictors.

Sacred Heart @ Assumption: Greyhounds are a middle-of-the-pack team in the weak D-II Northeast-10

Wagner @ Western Connecticut State: These Colonials are D-III, but usually pretty good

Dayton @ Robert Morris: This year the Colonials hold the Flyers off in the fourth quarter.

Albany @ Colgate: Colgate has never defeated an NEC team

Monmouth @ Maine: Monmouth has graduation losses to repair, but this should be closer than some think.

Seahawks Fan
August 28th, 2007, 07:20 AM
CCSU @ Towson: CCSU picks up from last year.

Sacred Heart @ Assumption: Don't know much about Assumption.

Wagner @ Western Connecticut State: Wagner usually does well OOC.

Dayton @ Robert Morris: RMU is one of the better NEC teams.

Albany @ Colgate: Based on the Danes victory at UD last year.

Monmouth @ Maine: I like Monmouth, but they lost a lot to graduation.

aceinthehole
August 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
CCSU at Towson - What then hell, I'll be a homer and take CCSU. They are on the road against a ranked team, so the Tigers are the favorite and we will need a great game and maybe a little help from our hosts xsmiley_wix

Sacred Heart at Assumption (II) - The Heart wins this one, but it may be closer than many of us NEC fans care to see.

Wagner at Western Conn. St. (III) - Again, the NEC team wins over the lower division team, but on the road vs. a good D-III team, the Sehawks won't roll over them as easily as we'd like to see.

Dayton at Robert Morris - The Colonials need to start strong, and they should. As long as the offense can put some nice drives together, they should be fine.

Albany at Colgate - A much better team than CCSU of 2005 enters Colgate. The Danes are for real and Colgate seems to struggle in early games. The Red Raiders won't take UA lightly, but again if the UA offense can score some points the NEC should have its firts scalp of 2007.

Monmouth at Maine - I many have underated the Hawks this year becasue I thought they lost too much. They will compete for the NEC title, but with a new QB and many new faces on defense, its too tall of an order for week 1 on the road.

Bonus games:
Bucknell at Duquesne - I'd love to see the Dukes win, I just don't think they are the favorite, even at home.
Georgetown at Stony Brook - The Hoyas have steadly been improving, but this can easily go the Sewolves way at home.

andy7171
August 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM
CCSU at Towson - What then hell, I'll be a homer and take CCSU. They are on the road against a ranked team, so the Tigers are the favorite and we will need a great game and maybe a little help from our hosts xsmiley_wix

I've been waiting for you to show up ace! You coming down for the game? I'll be there looking for you!

Calif_Colonial
August 28th, 2007, 10:00 AM
CCSU @ Towson I will be rooting for the Blue Devils but the Tigers are highly ranked in the top 25.

Sacred Heart @ Assumption Sacred Heart by 14.

Wagner@ Western Conn. St. Seahawks by 7.

Dayton @ Robert Morris Home openers I believe the Colonials are 10-2, besides I would go with my team anywayxthumbsupx

Albany @ Colgate The Danes crushing defense is here in 2007, Albany by 6.

Momouth @ Maine Maine at home with a good team, I'll take the Black Bears.

Ruler 79
August 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
CCSU @ Towson: Towson is a CAA power this year
SHU @ Assumtion: SHU HAD BETTER WIN
Wagner @ WCONN: Wag is improved and see SHU post
Dayton @ Rob Morr: Robert Morris D too much for the rebuildiong Flyers
Albany@Colgate: New QB means points(hopefully) and same D...UA
Mon@ Maine: Maine will be too much for rebuilding Hawks.

dpd
August 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Towson 40, CCSU 13
Sacred Heart 24, Assumption 15
Wagner 24, W. Conn. St, 17
Rob't Morris 36, Dayton 17
Albany 21, Colgate 20
Maine 35, Monmouth 10
Bucknell 20, Duquesne 14
G'town 14, Stony Brook 13

downbythebeach
August 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
CCSU @ Towson: Towson, this year

Sacred Heart @ Assumption: Assumption may be good this year, SHU prob not

Wagner @ Western Connecticut State: Wagner better than DIII and usually good in OOC games

Dayton @ Robert Morris: RMU continues from last year

Albany @ Colgate: Albany good D, best in NEC

Monmouth @ Maine: Maine easily

andy7171
August 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
CCSU @ Towson: Towson, this year

It's this year or nothing. Next year we start playing FBS teams starting with Navy in '08. I am pretty sure this CCSU game is a one and done. I know Colgate is coming down to Towson next year and we aren't going to stop playing Morgan State. Only 3 OOC games in the CAA.

Just sayin'

TheValleyRaider
August 28th, 2007, 11:55 AM
It's this year or nothing. Next year we start playing FBS teams starting with Navy in '08. I am pretty sure this CCSU game is a one and done. I know Colgate is coming down to Towson next year and we aren't going to stop playing Morgan State. Only 3 OOC games in the CAA.

Just sayin'

Unless you're Delaware and like to add another CAA team as an OOC game xeekx xwhistlex

GannonFan
August 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Unless you're Delaware and like to add another CAA team as an OOC game xeekx xwhistlex

Yeah, adding playoff participant UNH in 2004 was a real blow to our strength of schedule!!! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

PeacockRaider
August 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Let me throw my hat in the ring here as well

[email protected] be a close game, but the blue devils lost a lot of talent from last year Tigers 28-21

Sacred Heart @ Assumption...Pioneers win on the road 31-17

Wagner@West Conn...Seahawks avoid an embarassing loss in ot 20-17

Dayton @ Robert Morris... Upset special, Flyers stun RM 35-31 in a great game to start the season.

[email protected] reverses the trend of historically bad openers and comes out with a chip on their shoulder 28-17 Just imagine if Disch and Gallihugh were wearing the same colors.

[email protected] trip does in the hawks as they tire in the 4th Black Bears 21-17

andy7171
August 28th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah, adding playoff participant UNH in 2004 was a real blow to our strength of schedule!!! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

No quite sure why y'all do that, but if the other CAA team is willing to travel to your place, more power to you. I like to see other teams outside the league. Maybe that's the old Towson State independant in me coming out.

aceinthehole
August 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Just sayin'

Yep. This is a one-time guarantee game ($80k) for Towson.

I'd really like to see this game return for a home/home deal in the future!

rmutv
August 28th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Towson 24 Central Connecticut State 16
Sacred Heart 28 Assumption 17
Wagner 31 Western Connecticut State 20
Albany 24 Colgate 21 in OT
Maine 19 Monmouth 10

Bonus Picks
Duquesne 24 Bucknell 10
Stony Brook 27 Georgetown 17

HOMER PICK
Robert Morris 24 Dayton 13.

Seawolf97
August 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Good Luck to ALL the NEC TEAMS- It's almost timexthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2007, 12:12 AM
This thread shows just how much respect the NEC has earned. Three of the teams are going up against pretty respectable competition and all three are thought to have a chance to win. I think it's almost time they should seriously begen consideration for a playoff bid if they take care of business. The league has enough good teams to give a solid respresentation and they play a couple of solid OOC games. They've followed a similiar path to that of the PL teams but just not as quick and with not auto-bid. Ironically the PL teams were the first teams they really started to branching out to in OOC scheduling. The one thing of note is all three are playing on the road against the "bigger" boys. These schools are held back but the size limitations of their stadiums to schedule bigger OOC games which could hurt them.

aceinthehole
August 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Here's a good (and brief) preview for the week 1 matchups in the NEC!

Link: http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2007/8/29/NECfbWeek1.asp?path=fball

(Also has links to live audio) xthumbsupx

danefan
August 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Quick Picks (I'm on vacation and have 18 more holes to play this afternoon....)

CCSU @ Towson

Sacred Heart @ Assumption

Wagner @ Western Connecticut State

Dayton @ Robert Morris

Albany @ Colgate: History tells us that the Danes don't win when they are picked by everyone.

Monmouth @ Maine

JMG1MON
August 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Well, I would have picked Towson and Sacred Heart but those are moot now.

Here goes:
Western CT vs. Wagner

RMU vs. Dayton ---- Could go either way.

Colgate vs. Albany ---NEC homer pick here. Should be a very good game.

Maine vs. Monmouth -I wish this game was later in the year, which would allow me to think we have a chance. 9 new starters on defense plus a new quarterback, spells growing pains early on. I think we will have a good team but Maine is a big step up for the new defensive guys to make their 1st career starts against. I see a 10-14 pt. loss. Could be more, could be less, neither would shock me, although closer would be more surprising!!!

BobbyMo
September 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Since I started this thread, I figured I would update the thread with the finals. NEC had a tough opening weekend will hopefully get things going next week.

CCSU @ Towson:
My pick = Towson by 3
Result = Towson 20 – CCSU 10

Sacred heart @ Assumption
My pick = SH by 7
Result = SH 41 – Assumption 20

Wagner @ Western Conn. State
My pick = Wagner by 10
Result = Wagner 20 – WCS 7

Dayton @ Robert Morris
My pick = RMU by 3
Result = Dayton 23 – RMU 12 