PDA

View Full Version : Pete's Preseason Power Poll is Out

Pete's Weekly
August 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Just a reminder that Pete's Power Poll and I-AA (err umm FCS) Weekly is back for 2007. We have the preseason poll out for 2007, and should have the 2007 schedule strength ratings completed by tomorrow.

http://www.petespoll.com

CopperCat
August 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I like that better than some of the other polls that have come out, although Deleware State at #25 is a bit surprising.

Then again, Holy Cross at #25 was just as surprising.

GannonFan
August 27th, 2007, 10:33 PM
xlolx Wait a minute, I thought "company was coming"? Why is this "poll" still allowed???? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

McNeese72
August 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Just a reminder that Pete's Power Poll and I-AA (err umm FCS) Weekly is back for 2007. We have the preseason poll out for 2007, and should have the 2007 schedule strength ratings completed by tomorrow.

Question: How many people were polled to get this "poll"??

Doc

USDFAN_55
August 27th, 2007, 11:56 PM
If this is an FCS poll, why isn't there any teams from the PFL, NEC, or MAAC (those are FCS, aren't they?). I'm sure there's at least one team in there that could be in this power poll. Albany should be good this year, as well as central connecticut, or even San Diego (much to the despise of many here)

UAalum72
August 28th, 2007, 05:14 AM
"With no disrespect to the Ivy, SWAC, or Mid-major programs " yet Stony Brook gets in the poll as soon as it leaves the NEC. If that's not disrespect, what is? Pete's going to look pretty damn stupid if .... wait, I think that's pretty much the opinion of his poll anyway.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
This poll is back?

One SLC team in the top eight and we don't see another one til #41.

Glad to see Pete has got his huge map of FCS schools to throw darts at ready to go for 07!

Lafalumni29
August 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM
You gotta love this guy

IaaScribe
August 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Coastal at No. 7? Ha. That eliminates all credibility (if this one had any).

Mountain Panther
August 28th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I'll take UNI at #5.

mlbowl
August 28th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Albany should be good this year,

NOPE.....ask any non-Griz fan...they must suck cuz they're on our (Montana) schedulexnodx

Retro
August 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
poll (pl)
n.
1. The casting and registering of votes in an election.
2. The number of votes cast or recorded.
3. The place where votes are cast and registered. Often used in the plural with the.
4. A survey of the public or of a sample of public opinion to acquire information.
5. The head, especially the top of the head where hair grows.
6. The blunt or broad end of a tool such as a hammer or ax.

leatherneck177
August 28th, 2007, 11:30 AM
WIU at #18 works for me. Although I am not sure how that happened.

Black Saturday
August 28th, 2007, 11:40 AM

How about switching Wofford #30 and Coastal #7? That would be more accurate. Pete' has a rep from each conference to start the poll, is some of the (ill)ogic that stands out.xrolleyesx

Not a lot of respect for the SoCon.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM
WTF? Coastal over Furman????? wtf?

rmutv
August 28th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry, I can't respect any poll that ignores five different conferences within FCS football.

The Ivy, SWAC, NEC, PFL, and MAAC programs are all FCS level programs. Whether they offer scholarships or participate in post-season play should not impact their rankings in the regular season.

travelinman67
August 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
You gotta love this guy

Coastal at No. 7? Ha. That eliminates all credibility (if this one had any).

What?????

Lafayette #6?????

Coastal #7??????

xconfusedx

Bourger build this guy a beach house...?

xcoffeex

McNeese72
August 28th, 2007, 02:42 PM
poll (pl)
n.
1. The casting and registering of votes in an election.
2. The number of votes cast or recorded.
3. The place where votes are cast and registered. Often used in the plural with the.
4. A survey of the public or of a sample of public opinion to acquire information.
5. The head, especially the top of the head where hair grows.
6. The blunt or broad end of a tool such as a hammer or ax.

That was my point with my post. I was thinking it is misnamed. It should be a power rating not a poll.

Doc

GreatAppSt
August 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Without looking let me guess. App is ranked 7th or so?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GreatAppSt
August 28th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I'm sorry, I can't respect any poll that ignores five different conferences within FCS football.

The Ivy, SWAC, NEC, PFL, and MAAC programs are all FCS level programs. Whether they offer scholarships or participate in post-season play should not impact their rankings in the regular season.

Not to defend this joke but he does state:

What is Pete's Power Poll?
-Pete's is the country's only poll that concentrates, almost exclusively, on the play-off conferences/teams of NCAA Division I-AA football.

GreatAppSt
August 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM
What?????

Lafayette #6?????

Coastal #7??????

xconfusedx

Bourger build this guy a beach house...?

xcoffeex

Yup! xnodx xnodx xnodx

But the non crediblity winner is......xwhistlex #20.......Get This........WKU.xwhistlex xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2007, 03:24 PM
-Pete's is the country's only poll that concentrates, almost exclusively, on the play-off conferences/teams of NCAA Division I-AA football.

And what's this I-AA, Pete speaks of? He must've taken the offseason off and not concentrated on the media guides to see each one of them mentions the nomenclature change...

UAalum72
August 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Not to defend this joke but he does state:

What is Pete's Power Poll?
But it's been said so many times that all the FCS teams are eligible. So he's saying that even if an NEC team goes undefeated it has a worse chance of getting into the playoffs than Savannah State?

coastalalum
August 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM
How about switching Wofford #30 and Coastal #7? That would be more accurate.

first off, i agree coastal has no business at #7....however, previously in this thread the 3 teams (liberty, wofford and furman) that should 'obviously' be ahead of them all have one thing in common...they all lost to the chants this past season. it's a preseason poll guys. suck it up, it's only a conversation piece.

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Pete majored in Abuse in college!xcoolx

BDKJMU
August 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Maybe for the Ivy, SWAC, and now the NEC that they've gone partial scholly and upped their caliber of play. But for the Pioneer and MAAC you've got to be kidding. As far as those 2 conferences as a whole they are a joke as I-AA conferences. Its not just no schollies. Look at where most of their teams are attendance wise:
http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2005/2005_football_attendance.pdf
http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2006/2006_football_attendance.pdf

Then there's their pathetic (for I-AA) schedules. I did a quick purview of the MAAc and Pioneer schedules last season and besides playing each other and a # of Div II and a few NAIA schools, they played alot of Div III also:
MAAC against Div III:
Iona beat West Ct St 21-20
Lasalle beat Catholic by 2 TDs
lost to Husson 17-7
Pioneer against Div III:
Butler beat Hanover 30-20
lost to Albion 31-10
Dayton beat Wittenberg 35-28
Valparaiso beat West Lutheran 54-0

I-AAs going 5-2 against Div III is a joke (I might even have missed a few). And the overall record is probably worse against DII, but I didn't feel like taking the time to compile it.

Only saw one game in there against a team from the I-AA Big 4 conferences (CAA, SoCon, Gateway, Big Sky), and that was UNI beating Drake from the Pioneer 48-7. These Pioneer and MAAC teams being called I-AA and scheduling Div III is a joke.

Most of us know the reason the Pioneer and MAAC are technically in I-AA is because of that rule the NCAA implemented back in 93' that said if you're Div I in other sports you have to be Div I in football. So all these schools that were Div III in football but DI everything else just had to start calling themselves Div I-AA in football, which made them ineligible for the DIII playoffs, but without giving schollies, which makes them unable to compete with the scholly schools, and even if they go 10-1, 11-0, there will be no playoff bid. There's a bigger difference between the top I-AA from the big 4 and the Pioneer/MAAC than there is between the top I-AA from the big 4 and the BCS schools. If the top I-AA from the big 4 were playing Pioneer and MAAC you would see some very ugly scores losses in the 60s-80s. It would be like JMU playing Bridgewater, a Div III powerhouse 6 miles down the road.

What really rankles me is that guys from these schools have been/are included included in the I-AA statistical leader categories playing against DII/DIII caliber competition.

McNeese75
August 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Hey Pete, Meet D. P. Dwiggins, PhD :D

Yall need to talk xnodx xlolx

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Pete brought up a good point in his PM, he continues to get publicity from us for responding to his garbage. Perhaps we should stop as pointing out the flaws and his fallacies just does not do the trick.

Seawolf97
August 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Not Dr. Dwiggins again !xrotatehx xrotatehx

Eyes of Old Main
August 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
first off, i agree coastal has no business at #7....however, previously in this thread the 3 teams (liberty, wofford and furman) that should 'obviously' be ahead of them all have one thing in common...they all lost to the chants this past season. it's a preseason poll guys. suck it up, it's only a conversation piece.

Furman and Wofford, yes. Liberty, no.

I don't read much into this, but it is flawed to the point of lacking credibility even not counting the Wofford/Coastal debate. Coastal deserves plenty of respect for last season, and I'll be happy to extend it, but while this is a preseason poll, it should be somewhat reflective of this season's teams and this years' Coastal squad can't be compared to last year's at this point. Time will tell, though, and most likely prove this poll to be thoroughly false on this and many other fronts.

blukeys
August 28th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Pete has always been highly recommended by Cap'n Cat xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xrolleyesx ;)

He specifically states that he only ranks teams from the FCS "playoff conferences" It appears at first he means conferences with AQ's but then he ranks teams from the Big South. So who knows??????xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

It would be easier if Pete just stated the conferences he is including and let everyone argue with him on his board why or why not a conference or team should be included.

At any rate my problem with "Pete's Poll" this year is the same problem I have every year. It is not a poll!xnodx xnodx A Poll consists of more thna one individual actually voting their preference and tallying the results.

What Pete presents is an INDEX. It is similar to Massey, Dunkel etc.
Form his site is Pete's description of his INDEX

Factors used in Pete's Power Poll:

There are several factors that are involved in our poll. In brief, they are:

Points for and against.
Margin of victory: we do limit the margins so a team is not devastated or over-compensated for an exceptionally good, or poor performance.
Strength of the opposition (where the opponent is ranked in the previous week's poll).
Home vs. away vs. neutral.
Conference vs. non-Conference.
IA vs. I-AA vs. non-scholarship vs. sub-IAA: Teams in our poll are awarded more points for victories over IA opposition, less points for DII and mid-major games. Conversely, a loss to a IA clubs is not penalized as harshly as a team ranked in Pete's Poll ... and a loss to a mid-major or sub-IAA opponent is penalized more harshly. We do this in order to encourage teams to play other teams in their own division.

Perhaps Pete thinks that be calling his index a poll it will make it more respectable. Of course calling a pig a rose won't make it smell any better. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

UAalum72
August 29th, 2007, 06:56 AM
and a loss to a mid-major or sub-IAA opponent is penalized more harshly. We do this in order to encourage teams to play other teams in their own division.
So no disrespect to the NEC, but a loss to them is judged more harshly, he doesn't want 'his' teams to play them (therefore the NEC's SOS can't get any better, justifying their absence), because they're not even in the same division.

I nominate Pete for a Lifetime Divvy Award.

bandl
August 29th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Lafayette at #6??? xconfusedx xconfusedx

I love smoking crack!!! xnodx xnodx

AZGrizFan
August 30th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Pete,

On your playoff history page, you have 2005 repeated for 2006 data, instead of the actual playoff results from 2006. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Cap'n Cat
August 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Pete, aka I-AA Fan, banned me from his Penguins website a while ago and he is still shaking in his shoes that somehow I will sneak back in and take all the attention away from him, again...............

And I will.

:D :D :D xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx :D :D :D :D

proasu89
August 30th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Pete, aka I-AA Fan, banned me from his Penguins website a while ago and he is still shaking in his shoes that somehow I will sneak back in and take all the attention away from him, again...............

And I will.

:D :D :D xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx :D :D :D :D

Cap'n, don't get caught messin w/ Pete's Power Polexeekx