PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread - Missouri St. @ YSU

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 10:10 AM
Local paper picks Missouri St to win, 35-17. I also think MSU by around 35-14.

Rain maybe present. Rained already this morning. Back up Waid hit the transfer portal so I don’t see YSU using the Wildcat today. It’s probably a small crowd too.

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2021, 10:28 AM
Local paper picks Missouri St to win, 35-17. I also think MSU by around 35-14.

Rain maybe present. Rained already this morning. Back up Waid hit the transfer portal so I don’t see YSU using the Wildcat today. It’s probably a small crowd too.

keep this theme going and you’ll have a Country Western classic

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 10:45 AM
I thought that was drinking, cheating and crying ? Good country classics always involve alcohol, cheating on your woman and her crying about it. 😀

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 01:15 PM
YSU hits a bomb to St. Surin to go out front 6-0. Xpt no good

they are throwing and hitting. Ogletree gets big catch too.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 01:57 PM
MSU giving up an INT, fumble and bad snap to keep YSU leading.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 02:00 PM
YSU 45 yd FG good.

YSU 9-0

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 02:14 PM
MSU finally scores on FG.

YSU 9-3

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 02:26 PM
INT YSU, their 2nd. Add in a fumble and bad snap and MSU shooting themselves. Petrino going nuts.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 02:31 PM
YSU runs a 310 RB for a 1st down

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 02:38 PM
YSU TD pass and 2 pt pass good.

YSU 17-3. Just 12 seconds left till half.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Half time YSU 17-3

MSU major screw ups. Major bad cheap shot penalties. 3 turnovers. Bad snap. Totally outplayed with innovative O and D schemes.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 03:09 PM
MSU TD on first possession of 2nd half

YSU 17-10

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Steady rain. YSU driving. 1st down on 15

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 03:30 PM
YSU hits 28 yd FG

YSU 20-10

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 03:37 PM
MSU fumble , Now 3 for the game. Lost ball 4 times to YSU.

YSU driving

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 03:49 PM
MSU drops TD pass in endzone

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 03:51 PM
MSU FG

YSU 20-13

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 04:13 PM
MSU TD

20 all

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 04:19 PM
McLaughlin 22 yd TD run

YSU 27-20

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 04:26 PM
McLaughlin on long TD run.

YSU 34-20

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 04:32 PM
MSU TD

YSU 34-27

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 04:44 PM
YSU 73 yd TD run by Crenshaw . YSU 41 -26

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 04:45 PM
MSU scores on last play.

Final. YSU 41. MSU 33

Homecoming win.

BeamMeUp
October 9th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Considering I felt they had little chance of keeping it close, I am pleasantly surprised we came away with the victory.

Beam will have more to come after I digest.

ysubigred
October 9th, 2021, 04:51 PM
That was refreshing. Glad it worked out playing not to lose the start of the 2nd half. Crenshaw looked like the two time state champ. [emoji106]

MO. State looks like a NFL team size wise wow!

Great win next up Da Trees..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Now digesting my dinner...... ahhhhhhhh

My summation. YSU played well and scored on big plays - long TD runs and 2 pass plays. Congrats.

But here is the real story - MSU gave YSU the ball 4 times on 3 fumbles and an INT. They snapped the ball over the QBs head losing 16 yds and losing a scoring opportunity. They choked on a drive to a first down on the YSU 4 yd line only to move back on a cheap shot penalty and did not get a TD. They dropped a TD pass in the end zone. Each time they moved the ball they self destructed on a turn over, a penalty or dropped open passes or other mistakes. Additionally they gave up big plays to YSU. Game. Set. Match. MSU gave away a game they should have won. YSU got breaks all game long and took advantage. Any Given Saturday.

Penguin Nation
October 9th, 2021, 06:47 PM
I missed most of the game but listened to end of game on the radio. Did Hannon yawn during the broadcast?

Half way through the season and we have a winning home record. Not bad. Seems like the team took leaps forward in just a week. Looking forward, I’d say it’ll be two Ws in a row w/a likely win at ISUb (Trees next game for both teams). Maybe we win at UND but doubt it. SIU is really exciting & just finds ways to win.

Not sure why in Q4 they traded a likely FG for an attempted 4th down conversion? Either way I’m glad to see DP get his first conference win.

MSUWineGuy
October 9th, 2021, 09:54 PM
Good game YSU.

Amazing MSU somehow kept it within striking distance with a -4 turnover ratio. Between turnovers and special teams miscues, we couldn’t get out of our own way.

BeamMeUp
October 9th, 2021, 10:33 PM
Just some overall thoughts...

-The question on local talk radio this week wasn’t whether YSU would beat Missouri State (most folks locally felt we didn’t have much of a chance), the question was whether there was another win on the schedule the rest of the year. That gives you an idea of where our fan base felt this program was at after the disastrous past six quarters of football they saw this team play. To compound the pain, local QB Mark Waid who lost his job during fall camp, decided to leave the program.

-Considering we do not have much more to lose, I felt this game was important for the offensive coaching staff to give D. Crenshaw the opportunities to throw down the field more. Fortunately he was given a number of opportunities, including back to back beautiful throws for a TD and then a 2pt conversion in the corner of the end zone. Although this passing attack isn’t one that will scare many teams in our league, the way it worked today will keep defenses a bit more honest and hopefully enable our rushing attack to be able to function a bit better for 4 whole quarters.

-I was impressed with the turnovers that are our defense was able to force today, but there are still too many holes in our secondary, many of which seem to be when we play zone. As the TV guys mentioned today, the curl route was working today for MSU when we played soft coverage. With a defense as bad as ours being able to force that many turnovers, that is a step in the right direction. Nonetheless they still need to be much better if they want to taste victory again.

-I give a lot of credit to this staff for not only having this team ready to play today, but putting them in a position to win. As I posted earlier in week, this team was nearing falling off a cliff quickly, so I was pleasantly surprised with this performance. However, this team still lacks an identity. Yes they have two wins over two teams that will likely be in the Top 25 poll come Monday, but that doesn’t mean all that much as they still have a very long way to go. We get another bye then bus over to Terre Haute to take on the Sycamores in 2 weeks. That may be our best opportunity for a win the duration of the season, but as we saw today.... anything can happen in the Valley!

Beam xcoffeex

ysubigred
October 9th, 2021, 11:11 PM
Well we're thinking W @ Indy State but they took care of WIU today so that W will have to be earned..

ysubigred
October 11th, 2021, 10:07 AM
I agree on Any Given Saturday..

That being said "IF" YSU would win out and finish 7-3 or even drop 1 more and end up 6-4 would they get an at large playoff spot?

Before you say it, it's just for what "IF". A snowballs chance in hell of 6-4 or 7-3 [emoji56]

Thoughts?

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Nice win by the Pens.

ysubigred
October 11th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Nice win by the Pens.Was a strange feeling to win in the MVFC especially over a ranked opponent since I can't remember the last time it happened...

Paladin1aa
October 11th, 2021, 12:33 PM
Crenshaw was named the MVFC Newcomer of the week for the Missouri St. win. I watched the game again Sunday on the local replay and here’s a few thoughts -

Crenshaw broke the school record for game rushing yds for a QB at 195 and added a TD

Crenshaw threw for 2 TDs and was 10 of 19 for 99 yds no INT

YSU used one of their DTs , a former h.s. Fullback ( 6’1, 310) on 3rd and 1 for a first down

MSU actually had 3 fumbles losing 2 and lost 2 INTs. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot

Add in MSU had horrible penalties, all legit that cost them scoring chances

Yet MSU kept it close and tied it up. The self destruction was beautiful

The crowd for Homecoming was awful, maybe an actual 6k butts in seats. 15k “attendance”

Miserable rain. At least it wasn’t cold.

Petrino went nuts on the sideline all game long. Talk about losing it, lol 😂

ysubigred
October 11th, 2021, 12:56 PM
YSU had a few bad penalties that stopped drives/TDs.. also Oliver the KY transfer has hands of stone also costing a drive or two.. neither team graded out A..

MSUWineGuy
October 11th, 2021, 01:46 PM
YSU had a few bad penalties that stopped drives/TDs.. also Oliver the KY transfer has hands of stone also costing a drive or two.. neither team graded out A..

Yeah, you guys couldn't get out of your own way, either.

Nasty day, with that rain and gloominess.

ysubigred
October 11th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Yeah, you guys couldn't get out of your own way, either.

Nasty day, with that rain and gloominess.Well in all fairness YSU did have a better game just not A game..

MSU hitting on all cylinder will be a force for sure..

Good luck the rest of the way..