App State @ Michigan (FBS)
Furman v. Presbyterian
The Citadel v. Charleston Southern
Wofford v. Georgetown (Ky) (DII)
Elon at South Florida (FBS)
Western Carolina @ Alabama (FBS)
Chattanooga v. Carson-Newman (DII)

My thoughts...

Furman and Wofford should win by a sizeable margin. Presbyterian has a new HC and a Furman assistant as their DC, so the Blue Hose might put up a pretty good fight. In the end both teams just are much more talented across the board.

Citadel and Chattanooga might have a struggle on their hands. Neither opponent is anything special, but they aren't showing up to lose either.

Elon and Western get their check and their whipping.

App State might hang around a quarter or two, but not much longer.

Georgia Southern easily handles Bye.

Eyes of Old Main
August 26th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Pretty good assessments across the board.

I think Furman and Wofford will win closer than they'd like, one of either Chattanooga or The Citadel will lose xeekx , Western and Elon will get stomped, and Appalachian will hang around until midway through the 3rd quarter.

WCU LawCat
August 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I agree that the Citadel and UTC are going to be in battles right away. I could see either one getting knocked off.

I know Furman is outstanding but I think PC has more tallent and fight than we all give them credit for.

GSUhooligan
August 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM
App State @ Michigan (FBS) 49-3
Furman v. Presbyterian 35-10
The Citadel v. Charleston Southern 17-14
Wofford v. Georgetown (Ky) (DII) 28-13
Elon at South Florida (FBS) 38-6
Western Carolina @ Alabama (FBS) 59-3
Chattanooga v. Carson-Newman (DII)27-24

HaveFunKc
August 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Looks good to me...

I think the most competitive game of the week will come from Charleston. Chuck South is itching to get on the field, but Citadel looks likes it has something to prove this year.

It will be great sitting at the Big House watching my Mountaineers. However, I see another conservative game plan from Coach Moore coming, so I don't see anything special happening. But you have to admit, it would be AWESOME to see them pull it out... I know, "quit your daydreaming." xsmiley_wix

Seven Would Be Nice
August 27th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I hate all of you lucky bassterds that get to start football a week earlier than us at GSU.
Good luck to everyone!

TheValleyRaider
August 27th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Football's here! xhurrayx Predicting every game I possibly can this week...

App State at Michigan Michigan Ummm, yeah...

Presbyterian at Furman Furman Welcome to D-I, Hose

Charleston Southern at The Citadel Citadel Let's see if Higgins has the Bulldogs on the right track

Georgetown at Wofford Wofford I usually feel bad each time I pick the Hoyas to lose. Then I remembered it's the other G'town. And then I felt better :)

Elon at South Florida South Florida I hear Tampa's nice this time of year xcoolx

Western Carolina at Alabama Alabama I don't hear such things about Tuscaloosa xwhistlex

Carson-Newman at Chattanooga Chattanooga Playing in 'Nooga is as close as Carson-Newman gets to D-I Championship

youwouldno
August 27th, 2007, 12:45 AM
App State 13 @ Michigan 45
Furman 45 v. Presbyterian 10
The Citadel 35 v. Charleston Southern 17
Wofford 52 v. Georgetown (Ky) (D-II) 6
Elon 13 at South Florida 42
Western Carolina 0 @ Alabama 66
Chattanooga 28 v. Carson-Newman (D-II) 12

Not a lot of excitement. The only game that's even moderately competitive is El Cid and Chuck South. I think the odds of any of the other games having a different winner than I picked here is close to zero.

OL FU
August 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM
App State @ Michigan (FBS) Michigan may be close, may not be
Furman v. Presbyterian - Closer than some would suspect. My guess is that a Furman victory is never in doubt but we don't pull away until the end. Ends up at 17
The Citadel v. Charleston Southern - Different year. Citadel by 17
Wofford v. Georgetown (Ky) (DII) but whopping
Elon at South Florida (FBS) This may be the year that Elon falls back to the bottom
Western Carolina @ Alabama (FBS) xeekx xeekx No comment
Chattanooga v. Carson-Newman (DII) Chatt wins once again could be a lot, could be a little

PurpleNights
August 27th, 2007, 07:11 AM
App State 21 @ Michigan 42......closer than the score indicates :D
Furman 47 v. Presbyterian 13
The Citadel 41 v. Charleston Southern 13
Wofford 55 v. Georgetown (Ky) (D-II) 3
Elon 10 at South Florida 49
Western Carolina 7@ Alabama 66 ....this could get real ugly xsmhx
Chattanooga 31 v. Carson-Newman (D-II) 7

citdog
August 27th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Michigan 42 Yosef 10
App is out of it after the half

Furman 34 Blue Hose 17
Bentley ain't got willy korn no more

The Citadel 42 Baptist College 13
REVENGE! The Cadets by a bunch.

Woffy 38 Gtown, Ky 3
ho hum woffy wins easily
Sfla 49 Elon 6
Bulls too much for Elon
Ala 52 WCU 3
Cha-Ching!
Chatt 35 Hello Newman 10

Chatt gets off to a good start

gobluehose1
August 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Wofford's week one opponet, Georgetown College (KY) is not DII, they are NAIA...just for the record

Death Dealer
August 27th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Appy shocks Michigan with a fourth quarter rally to win by one.

Furman welcomes the Blue Hose to Div. I ball with an @$$ whipping. We beat 'em so bad their grandchildren will be born with a purple birth mark on their @$$!!!

Woffie rolls on.

The Bulldogs drown those CSU in a bloody baptism.

Elon get spanked, as does WCU.

Chatty laps a big L on C-N.

And GSU, well I guess we'll just have to wait another week to see the new and improved Eagles.

Mountaineer#96
August 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Appy shocks Michigan with a fourth quarter rally to win by one.

Furman welcomes the Blue Hose to Div. I ball with an @$$ whipping. We beat 'em so bad their grandchildren will be born with a purple birth mark on their @$$!!!

Woffie rolls on.

The Bulldogs drown those CSU in a bloody baptism.

Elon get spanked, as does WCU.

Chatty laps a big L on C-N.

And GSU, well I guess we'll just have to wait another week to see the new and improved Eagles.

I'll be happy to see that we made college game day and the talk is about how could this FCS team hang around so long at the big house. If we win by one in the fourth, that will be an ESPN instant classic.

CSUBUCDAD
August 27th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I look for the Dawgs and Bucs game to be just as competative as it was last year. Still a bit unsure of what the Buc offense is going to look like, but the defense has solidified tremendously since last year. Look forward to meeting some of you Dawg faithful Saturday.

citdog
August 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I look for the Dawgs and Bucs game to be just as competative as it was last year. Still a bit unsure of what the Buc offense is going to look like, but the defense has solidified tremendously since last year. Look forward to meeting some of you Dawg faithful Saturday.

don't think so dad we are going to hang half a hundred on you. it'll be over by the time the Corps gets into it!

bobbythekidd
August 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM
xlolx xlolx

Furman v. Presbyterian
Wofford v. Georgetown(Ky)
GSU still undefeated going into week 2

No real surprises.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
What's your predictanalysis?

Furman v. Presbyterian

Michigan: 42
App State: 24

Furman: 31
Presb: 13

Citadel: 28
Chuck South: 17

Wofford: 34
Georgetown: 0

South Florida: 24
Elon: 14

Alabama: 27
Western: 17

Chatty: 21
Carson Newman: 7

I think the big surprise this week will be Western. Look for App State to score early a few times and keep it close for at least a half.

blueballs
August 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
What's your predictanalysis?

Furman v. Presbyterian

My thoughts...

Furman and Wofford should win by a sizeable margin. Presbyterian has a new HC and a Furman assistant as their DC, so the Blue Hose might put up a pretty good fight. In the end both teams just are much more talented across the board.

Citadel and Chattanooga might have a struggle on their hands. Neither opponent is anything special, but they aren't showing up to lose either.

Elon and Western get their check and their whipping.

App State might hang around a quarter or two, but not much longer.

Georgia Southern easily handles Bye.

Hatcher will easily handle it, VanRichardCranium would have found a way to f--- even that up.

citdog
August 27th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hatcher will easily handle it, VanRichardCranium would have found a way to f--- even that up.

when hatcher goes 3-8 or 4-7 you rednecks gonna run him out out town too?

BestOfBreed
August 27th, 2007, 01:03 PM
App State @ Michigan (FBS) 42-10
Furman v. Presbyterian 31-27
The Citadel v. Charleston Southern 31-17
Wofford v. Georgetown (Ky) 42-20
Elon at South Florida 38-6
Western Carolina @ Alabama 52-6
Chattanooga v. Carson-Newman 34-31 - James Banks with 3 TDs and over 200 all purpose yards but it won't be enough for C-N.

bobbythekidd
August 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I am guessing we will never find out.

gophoenix
August 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am guessing we will never find out.

You never know. The SoCon isn't what is used to be. With the bottom getting better yearly, it isn't an automatic 6 or 7 wins like it used to be.

And say what you will about that....

bobbythekidd
August 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM
You never know. The SoCon isn't what is used to be. With the bottom getting better yearly, it isn't an automatic 6 or 7 wins like it used to be.

And say what you will about that....
You and I agree on that. I noticed on the Pick the 16 thread more than a few folks picked 2 or even 3 SoCon teams. Looks like we may be a power conference in 07.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Presby might give Furman a pretty good game. I just don't see how the Hose are going to keep Furman out of the endzone. If Furman's defense shows up it should be a blowout.

I wouldn't be shocked if Furman ran only about 10 different plays.

walliver
August 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Furman v. Presbyterian

I don't see a close game in the bunch; although the Wofford score may be closer than expected - Georgetown is Mike Ayers' alma mater, and he will probably burn the redshirt year of every player on the team.xnodx

OL FU
August 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Just for yucks (because I really don't like Sagarin and I especially don't like Sagarin at the first of the year)

Including a 3 point home field advantage

Sagarin says:

Alabama by 37
South Florida by 35
Citadel by 17
Michigan by 25
Furman by 50xeekx (Aint' no way that is gonna happen)

CID1990
August 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM
CSU had better bring their AAA game. A lot of people are looking for the Dogs to run the score up.

NashMoc
August 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
While I recognize Appalachain as the cream of the FCS crop there is no freaking way they score more than a 10 points against Michigan. I don't think this will even be competitive beyond the first quarter. Michigan will come out ready to make a statement for the season. Michigan 44 - App 3

Local rivalries are always interesting. I think that Presby will come out the gate looking to run with the big dogs. The Hose won't be able to hang with the Purps. Furman 34 - Presby 13

The battle of Charleston could be another interesting game to start the season. Unlike everyone else in the SoCon I am not sold on the Citadel being a contender this year. That being said, Chuck South won't hang a "L" on the Dogs. Citadel 24 - Charleston Southern 10

Wofford gets a boo and a win for playing an NAIA school. Wofford 56 - Gtown 6

Elon will take a beatdown from South Florida. This is the team that Rutgers back to earth last year. They are not going to let the Fighting Christians in the endzone in Tampa. USF 49 - Elon 3

Crisom Tide will be a better prepared team under Nick Saban. There is no way WCU, which is considered among the bottom tier SoCon football programs, is going to hang around more than 5 minutes with perhaps the most historic college football program in the country. Bama 45- WCU 0

Homer Alert
I will admit that I know absolutely nothing about Carson Newman other than they are a DII school in some dirthole part of Tennessee. The Mocs will have a good start to the season on Thursday night. Chattanooga 27 - CN 13

blueballs
August 27th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Ain't gonna happen...

... tell you what, if you're so confident of GSU's demise, why don't we have a friendly wager. If GSU goes under .500 I'll leave the board and never post again.

If they go over .500 you leave and never post again.

Deal?

Eyes of Old Main
August 27th, 2007, 08:02 PM
... tell you what, if you're so confident of GSU's demise, why don't we have a friendly wager. If GSU goes under .500 I'll leave the board and never post again.

Deal?

Now THAT would add some excitement to football season.

AppState
August 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Nancy Mace must have fired CitDog today.

Sir William
August 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM
App State @ Michigan ...Appy loses, but makes us proud by playing the Wolverines tough
Furman v. Presbyterian ...it will be close for a half, then Furman by 3 TDs
The Citadelv. Charleston Southern ...Dogs win big
Wofford v. Georgetown (Ky) ...Terriers win big
Elon at South Florida ...Sun Bulls win big
Western Carolina @ Alabama ...Tide rolls (did someone say "tsunami?")
Chattanooga v. Carson-Newman ...but this one could be very close!

dpd
August 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Carson-Newman (the Eagles from Jefferson City TN) is a top-20 D2 school whose football team plays in the South Atlantic Conference - they went 8-3 last year (not sure if they made the playoffs, they often do) and last week (30 Aug 07) they trounced Virginia State 52-21
C-N Football (http://carsonnewmaneagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/cars-m-footbl-body.html)

with that bit out of the way, here my attempts for socon week one:
Michigan 42, ASU 10
Furman 52, Presby 3 (my early season calculations have the same problems as Sagarin's)
Chattanooga 35, Carson-Newman 24
Bama 42, WCU 6
The Citadel 28, Cha'ston So. 24
Wofford 30, G'town-KY 20
South Florida 35, Elon 7

Week One Prognostication (http://dpdsdogs.com/ncaa/cfprog.htm)

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Ain't gonna happen...

Deal?

Fact remains, no one has a bloody clue what GSU is going to put on the field. They could be incredible, they could be terrible. The only thing anyone knows about Georgia Southern is they have one guy that can score from anywhere on the field.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
While I recognize Appalachain as the cream of the FCS crop there is no freaking way they score more than a 10 points against Michigan. I don't think this will even be competitive beyond the first quarter. Michigan will come out ready to make a statement for the season. Michigan 44 - App 3

FBS teams usually aren't focused against FCS teams. In the '04 opener GSU came up against a highly hyped team coming off of a dissappointing season in '03. GSU put 28 points on the top-5 ranked team and we weren't even that good of a team that year. There are so many other examples of FCS teams racking up serious points.

Plus big FBS schools look down their noses at offenses like the kind Jerry Moore runs and they usually aren't ready. Don't be surprised if they have 300+ yards of offense and 3 or more touchdowns.

pete4256
August 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Carson-Newman (the Eagles from Jefferson City TN) is a top-20 D2 school whose football team plays in the South Atlantic Conference - they went 8-3 last year (not sure if they made the playoffs, they often do) and last week (30 Aug 07) they trounced Virginia State 52-21
C-N Football (http://carsonnewmaneagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/cars-m-footbl-body.html)

with that bit out of the way, here my attempts for socon week one:
Michigan 42, ASU 10
Furman 52, Presby 3 (my early season calculations have the same problems as Sagarin's)
Chattanooga 35, Carson-Newman 24
Bama 42, WCU 6
The Citadel 28, Cha'ston So. 24
Wofford 30, G'town-KY 20
South Florida 35, Elon 7

Week One Prognostication (http://dpdsdogs.com/ncaa/cfprog.htm)

C-N is about 20 miles down the road from my home in Knoxville. Do I live in the ass part of Tennessee or something?

C-N runs the veer, and I think they have a good chance of taking it to the Mocs (I've seen numerous cases of UTC's ineptitude against option teams). Especially with a game under their belts. I'll pick the upset: 17-16.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM
FBS teams usually aren't focused against FCS teams. In the '04 opener GSU came up against a highly hyped team coming off of a dissappointing season in '03. GSU put 28 points on the top-5 ranked team and we weren't even that good of a team that year. There are so many other examples of FCS teams racking up serious points.

Plus big FBS schools look down their noses at offenses like the kind Jerry Moore runs and they usually aren't ready. Don't be surprised if they have 300+ yards of offense and 3 or more touchdowns.

UGA made it pretty clear in the papers that they didn't even practice mcuh against your offense. They knew you couldn't keep them from scoring, so they didn't bother wasting valuable practice time on an offense they would never see again.

I don't see how you "weren't good that year." Chaz Williams was a senior and you steamrolled everyone except for Furman and Georgia. The Eagles came into Paladin Stadium that season ranked #2 in the country.

Mountaineer#96
August 28th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I wonder what the Michigan fans are predicting, anyone run into anything.

Mountaineer#96
August 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Ok found some crap........ once again the "Hot Hot Hot video" is back and some other stuff they think is cute. http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/

NashMoc
August 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM
C-N is about 20 miles down the road from my home in Knoxville. Do I live in the ass part of Tennessee or something?

C-N runs the veer, and I think they have a good chance of taking it to the Mocs (I've seen numerous cases of UTC's ineptitude against option teams). Especially with a game under their belts. I'll pick the upset: 17-16.

As Knoxville is the home of that other UT school (Fulmer's Home for Wayward Boys), I would say thay you do live in the a$$ part of the state. That being said UTC's run defense should be much improved this year. I am concerned with the pass defense with the injury to Raeshon Ball and the dismissal of Quintez Smith. These guys would have been the top two CB on the depth chart.

NashMoc
August 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Ok found some crap........ once again the "Hot Hot Hot video" is back and some other stuff they think is cute. http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/

Even with the back to back National Championships, Appalachain State will never live down the horror that is Hot Hot Hot. That is a classic.

Mountaineer#96
August 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Nice to know that Miss Teen South Carolina will be heading to ASU this year, her vid is on that Michigan site. She doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed although.

NashMoc
August 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Nothing wrong with having a few hot, dumb girls on campus.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
UGA made it pretty clear in the papers that they didn't even practice mcuh against your offense. They knew you couldn't keep them from scoring, so they didn't bother wasting valuable practice time on an offense they would never see again.

I don't see how you "weren't good that year." Chaz Williams was a senior and you steamrolled everyone except for Furman and Georgia. The Eagles came into Paladin Stadium that season ranked #2 in the country.

App State was terrible that year, and Wofford was too. 2004 may have been the second weakest Socon ever, with '03 being the very weakest. Then when the playoffs came, we lost to a New Hampshire team (at home) who got pummeled by Montana, who was beat pretty solidly in the NC. It was the first time we actually lost at home in the first round.

And I'm not so sure they (UGA) might not be stretching the truth some when they say "they didn't practice against it". A lot of bulldog fans were very angry that they only won by 20 points.

OL FU
August 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
App State was terrible that year, and Wofford was too. 2004 may have been the second weakest Socon ever, with '03 being the very weakest. Then when the playoffs came, we lost to a New Hampshire team (at home) who got pummeled by Montana, who was beat pretty solidly in the NC. It was the first time we actually lost at home in the first round.

And I'm not so sure they (UGA) might not be stretching the truth some when they say "they didn't practice against it". A lot of bulldog fans were very angry that they only won by 20 points.

You did get beat by UNH and we lost to JMU, but in 2004 for the most part, GSU and Furman were two of the best FCS teams in the country.

In fact going into the playoffs, many "experts" were picking a GSU Furman re-match in the finals. Now I know it did not happen but that does not mean that both teams were not in the top tier of I-AA in that year

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
UNH had to fly to Statesboro and then to Missoula. I'm surpised they could stand after those two road trips, much less win.

NashMoc
August 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
SoCon Week 1 starts tonight. Mocs at home versus Carson Newman. I know CN is one the better DII schools, but if UTC loses the season and the Rodney Allison era is over. That being said, the Mocs will not lose tonight as their run defense is much improved from the previous few years. I think they will compete for the 3rd or 4th place spot in the conference and could sneak into the playoffs with a win against Furman or App.

terrierbob
August 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM
the Mocs will not lose tonight

Are you playing tonight (Thursday)?

BestOfBreed
August 30th, 2007, 01:35 PM
SoCon Week 1 starts tonight. Mocs at home versus Carson Newman. I know CN is one the better DII schools, but if UTC loses the season and the Rodney Allison era is over. That being said, the Mocs will not lose tonight as their run defense is much improved from the previous few years. I think they will compete for the 3rd or 4th place spot in the conference and could sneak into the playoffs with a win against Furman or App.

The Knoxville paper is reporting Banks is injured and might not play tonight for C-N so I think UTC should be fine in this one.

SoCon48
August 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I think they will compete for the 3rd or 4th place spot in the conference and could sneak into the playoffs with a win against Furman or App.

And pigs will fly.xeyebrowx

citdog
August 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I think they will compete for the 3rd or 4th place spot in the conference and could sneak into the playoffs with a win against Furman or App.

And pigs will fly.xeyebrowx

gotta say i agree with 2006

walliver
August 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM

It's not completely implausible. If they beat Elon and Western, that would put them in 6th place. If Armanti Edwards is then found to actually be Tracy Ham in disguise and ASU has to forfeit all their games, and Jerome Felton is found to be Adrian Peterson (the 1st) in disguise and Furman has to forfeit all their games, then Chattanooga would grab the coveted 4th place spot.

Laserlips
August 30th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Ain't gonna happen...

Deal?

Hey, Lets offer him two for one, I'll willing to offer the same deal too... I don't think he has the gon.. uh, any interest in taking you, or me, up on that offer. ;)

Of course his being a long time fan of a perennial powerhouse like the Citadel you never know.

Count me in too!

JP

youwouldno
August 30th, 2007, 03:42 PM
It's not completely implausible. If they beat Elon and Western, that would put them in 6th place. If Armanti Edwards is then found to actually be Tracy Ham in disguise and ASU has to forfeit all their games, and Jerome Felton is found to be Adrian Peterson (the 1st) in disguise and Furman has to forfeit all their games, then Chattanooga would grab the coveted 4th place spot.

I don't think that would be enough for UTC to prevail.

citdog
August 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hey, Lets offer him two for one, I'll willing to offer the same deal too... I don't think he has the gon.. uh, any interest in taking you, or me, up on that offer. ;)

Of course his being a long time fan of a perennial powerhouse like the Citadel you never know.

Count me in too!

JP

it's The Citadel.xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Just as an aside, UTC gave Furman a very good game in Greenville last year, and if I'm not mistaken, they gave Appalachian a pretty good struggle the year before.

Still, they haven't beaten Furman since, I think, 1995

furpal87
August 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Carson Newman was actually my first game as a Furman student, we beat them 59-7.

This week:
Michigan 45 App State 17
Chatt 23 C-N 17
So. Fla 45 Elon 21
Cit 27 Chas So. 10
Ala 62 WCU 2 (Blocked XP for the two!)
Wofford 45 Whoever 3
Furman 51 PC 7

By the way, heard WCU is busing down to Ala, that's maximizing profit, isn't it?

proasu89
August 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Carson Newman was actually my first game as a Furman student, we beat them 59-7.

This week:
Michigan 45 App State 17
Chatt 23 C-N 17
So. Fla 45 Elon 21
Cit 27 Chas So. 10
Ala 62 WCU 2 (Blocked XP for the two!)
Wofford 45 Whoever 3
Furman 51 PC 7

By the way, heard WCU is busing down to Ala, that's maximizing profit, isn't it?

Have you seen the airport in the Wheexsmiley_wix

Eaglesrus
August 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Ouch! How long does Allison have to get out of town?

NashMoc
August 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Ouch! How long does Allison have to get out of town?

Allison and Billy Taylor should have to be out of their office before another dawn breaks in the Scenic City. This is flat out embarrassing. Especially since I drank the Kool-Aid during the preseason. Improved run defense, Hah. Defensive line strength of the team, Hah. Offensive line the best in Rodney's five years, Hah.

Another long football season in for us Moc fans.

GSUhooligan
August 30th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Chattanooga v. Carson-Newman (DII)27-24

Was I the only one to guess this one? Whomever that Chatty fan was that said that they'll be in contension for 4th in the SoCon should be ashamed of himself.

NashMoc
August 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Was I the only one to guess this one? Whomever that Chatty fan was that said that they'll be in contension for 4th in the SoCon should be ashamed of himself.

It was me and I am ashamed. As I stated above, I drank the RA Kool-Aid. I based my assesment on the fact UTC lost some very close games to good teams i.e. Furman. I guess we were a one man show for the last two seasons (Eldra Buckley).

NashMoc
August 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I am absolutely sick right now. I will still support Mocs football, however I am done with our soon to be ex head coach. A SoCon coach should not be losing to a DII school in his fifth season. RA can no longer lay blame on Donnie Kirkpatrick.

catamount man
August 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I am absolutely sick right now. I will still support Mocs football, however I am done with our soon to be ex head coach. A SoCon coach should not be losing to a DII school in his fifth season. RA can no longer lay blame on Donnie Kirkpatrick.

I feel your pain tonight. It would not suprise me to see Rick Hart fire Rodney Allison tomorrow. I know you guys are about to puke.xeekx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ButlerGSU
August 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM
In UTC's defense I think the injury to their senior QB was a big blow. Then again, Carson Newman (while very good) is a D2 team... xnonono2x

terrierbob
August 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM
NashMoc, Allison SHOULD be runoff for what he's done (or not done) for a proud program. We're with you.

bobbythekidd
August 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Go easy guys. UTC really did well the first half and Carson Newman is a great Div II team. No shame for the Mocs in this one. Just forget being in the top half of the SoCon this season.

walliver
August 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Go easy guys. UTC really did well the first half and Carson Newman is a great Div II team. No shame for the Mocs in this one. Just forget being in the top half of the SoCon this season.

If you're going to play a D-II team, you shouldn't pick Carson-Newman, Valdosta State, Grand Valley State, etc. There's little to gain, and they just might jump up and bite you.

terrierbob
August 30th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I hope Georgetown doesn't get inspired.

Sir William
August 30th, 2007, 09:56 PM
When I was at Furman (early 80s), UTC was a very tough team with a proud program.

For the life of me, I do not understand why a program like UTC, in a large metro area and with an attractive stadium, continues to struggle year-in and year-out. xconfusedx It's a real shame for the Moc fans who are hungry for a consistent winner.

(Looking for a new head coach? Look no farther than the opposite sidelines tonight.)

SoCon48
August 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I just checked the radar. No pigs in sight. C-N shot them all down in the dark.

SCPALADIN
August 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'll pick the upset: 17-16.

Nicely Done!!

pete4256
August 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Nicely Done!!

you bet!;)

seantaylor
August 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
UTC sucks. This goes to show how truly bad of a coach Van Gorder was. It will get REAL ugly in Paulson in 3 weeks.

Eyes of Old Main
August 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM
UTC sucks. This goes to show how truly bad of a coach Van Gorder was.

Maybe they can hire Van Gorder when they fire Allison. Even he wouldn't have lost to C-N.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM
UTC sucks. This goes to show how truly bad of a coach Van Gorder was. It will get REAL ugly in Paulson in 3 weeks.

Enough with Van Gorder. Y'all were jumping out of your skin last year with excitement.

GSU fans don't need to be making any bold predictions. Your fans thought you would handle Central Connecticut last year under a new fabulous big name head coach. You might just end up eating your words, again.

GSUhooligan
August 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Enough with Van Gorder. Y'all were jumping out of your skin last year with excitement.

GSU fans don't need to be making any bold predictions. Your fans thought you would handle Central Connecticut last year under a new fabulous big name head coach. You might just end up eating your words, again.

Coming from a fan of a team who won b/c of a crappy FG kicker (and coach) @ their stadium! Ya'll have a rude awakening coming 11/10.

SCPALADIN
August 31st, 2007, 06:38 AM
Coming from a fan of a team who won b/c of a crappy FG kicker (and coach) @ their stadium! Ya'll have a rude awakening coming 11/10.

Quite possibly the weakest retort ever on the AGS...xrolleyesx
Regardless of how it happened, it was a W in the WIN column. Something Eagle fans would've like more of last year.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2007, 06:42 AM

Since when did Eagle fan's best comebacks circle around, "yeah, well we almost beat you."

So did UTC. So did Citadel. So what? Join the club.

Eyes of Old Main
August 31st, 2007, 07:01 AM
Since when did Eagle fan's best comebacks circle around, "yeah, well we almost beat you."

I guess they've started counting "moral victories" after last year.

gophoenix
August 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM
A SoCon coach should not be losing to a DII school in his fifth season

The last SoCon coach to lose to a D-II was fired at the end of the season. Carson-Newman is at least a top notch D-II program. At least it isnt like you lost to Newberry or North Greenville.

NashMoc
August 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM
I would have thought that a good night's rest would alleviate the absolute nauseating feeling in my stomach, but alas I am still sick from last night's debacle. Unfortunately it is very rare for a college coach to get fired mid-season. I do think that Rick Hart will do the right thing at the end of the season. He did not hire Allison, so he is not obliged to see him succeed. Coming from OU i expect that Hart has some good connections in college football and can finally get us a HC.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM
I would have thought that a good night's rest would alleviate the absolute nauseating feeling in my stomach, but alas I am still sick from last night's debacle. Unfortunately it is very rare for a college coach to get fired mid-season. I do think that Rick Hart will do the right thing at the end of the season. He did not hire Allison, so he is not obliged to see him succeed. Coming from OU i expect that Hart has some good connections in college football and can finally get us a HC.

Jack Crowe, Jacksonville State's head coach, was fired at Arkansas during halftime.

NashMoc
August 31st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Jack Crowe, Jacksonville State's head coach, was fired at Arkansas during halftime.

Ironically enough Jack Crowe will be the next in line to beat Rodney "14 wins in 4+ seasons" Allison.

Given the economics of FCS football we are stuck with this pathetic excuse of a football coach through this season. I don't think there is someone on staff that would be any better. Sadly, the best asst. coach Rodney's had at Chattanooga moved to West Tennessee. Jason Simpson was probably the real reason for the 6 wins in 2005.

Laserlips
August 31st, 2007, 11:19 AM

PaladinFan:

Um.. I believe Furman will be dropping by Paulson Stadium in early November, right? Had a lot of success in Paulson over the years? Let's have this conversation again AFTER that game. ;)

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

walliver
August 31st, 2007, 11:43 AM

I suspect that is part of UTC's problem. The Mocs need to hire a I-AA coach (head coach or coordinator experience in FCS), give him 5 years to build a team by recruiting kids out of high school, and see what happens. Hiring I-A assistants (like Allison or BVG) and have them come in bringing "I-A transfers" is not the way to build a team (IMHO). Chattanooga has, in recent years, had great players, but poor-to-mediocre teams.

Too many times, the FBS assistants taking a head coaching job in FCS seemed rushed to succeed, and don't lay the foundation for a successful FCS program.

Also, a well-known SoCon team once lost to Newberry, but later played for the national championship later that year. I doubt that will happen here, but losing to a D-II team isn't always a death blow. In fact, FAU lost to Vadosta State in 2003, but still made the I-AA semifinals.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2007, 12:47 PM
PaladinFan:

Um.. I believe Furman will be dropping by Paulson Stadium in early November, right? Had a lot of success in Paulson over the years? Let's have this conversation again AFTER that game. ;)

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

That would be back before GSU had a 3-8 season. GSU might very well win that game, in fact, I look at it as our second toughest FCS road game. Furman, I think, is without question a better program right now, but that's why they play the games.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2007, 01:03 PM
That would be back before GSU had a 3-8 season. GSU might very well win that game, in fact, I look at it as our second toughest FCS road game. Furman, I think, is without question a better program right now, but that's why they play the games.

We'll see. I have a strong feeling things will be different this year. We have competent, proven coaches running the offense this year and an easier schedule (last year's schedule was pretty brutal). I

youwouldno
August 31st, 2007, 01:09 PM
No one knows how GSU will do, including their coaches and players (though I'm sure they are confident, as a football team should be). You can't really simulate a big game by scrimmaging. I think GSU is going to struggle at times because they are weak at QB and have had so much coaching/scheme turnover, but they have the talent to win games.

NashMoc
August 31st, 2007, 01:19 PM
I suspect that is part of UTC's problem. The Mocs need to hire a I-AA coach (head coach or coordinator experience in FCS), give him 5 years to build a team by recruiting kids out of high school, and see what happens. Hiring I-A assistants (like Allison or BVG) and have them come in bringing "I-A transfers" is not the way to build a team (IMHO). Chattanooga has, in recent years, had great players, but poor-to-mediocre teams.

Too many times, the FBS assistants taking a head coaching job in FCS seemed rushed to succeed, and don't lay the foundation for a successful FCS program.

I am confident that Rick Hart will make the right decision for our next coach. The fact that his grandfather was the SoCon Commisioner would lend me to believe that he understands what it is going to take to win in this league. I think he was saddled with Rodney Allison by Steve Sloan who added an additional year to RA's contract as he was heading out the door. That made it nearly impossible from a fiscal standpoint for Hart to fire RA before this year.

Cocky
August 31st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Ironically enough Jack Crowe will be the next in line to beat Rodney "14 wins in 4+ seasons" Allison.

Given the economics of FCS football we are stuck with this pathetic excuse of a football coach through this season. I don't think there is someone on staff that would be any better. Sadly, the best asst. coach Rodney's had at Chattanooga moved to West Tennessee. Jason Simpson was probably the real reason for the 6 wins in 2005.

Jason maybe coming back.

SoCon48
August 31st, 2007, 02:41 PM
We'll see. I have a strong feeling things will be different this year. We have competent, proven coaches running the offense this year and an easier schedule (last year's schedule was pretty brutal). I

And a half a roster of I-A players.xeyebrowx

NashMoc
August 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Jason maybe coming back.

Oh don't get my hopes up Cocky. While I think he would be terrific, I don't think Rick Hart will bring in somebody associated with the Rodney Allison era.

dpd
August 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM
we have one of utc's former coaches here as our head coach in memphis - terrell owens played for him there one year

CID1990
August 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM
I think GSU is always dangerous in Statesboro. Like I have said before, I am not looking forward to the game there this year. However, I do think that this year, all of their wins will be due to talent alone. Even the worst coaches should be able to go .500 there.

That being said, I think that any games GSU wins this year will be due to talent alone. Hatcher's program isn't going to fully come online until another couple years. For his sake, I hope they do pull out at least a .500 season, or else he will be on the hot seat next year.

Laserlips
September 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=CID1990

That being said, I think that any games GSU wins this year will be due to talent alone. Hatcher's program isn't going to fully come online until another couple years. For his sake, I hope they do pull out at least a .500 season, or else he will be on the hot seat next year.[/QUOTE]

CID1990:

Just my personal opinion, but I think our GSU Eagles winning 1/2 of our games this season will be easily "do-able".. I don't mean that we will cut thru the SOCON like a knife thru butter, but we do have some pretty good athletes, and a real head Coach this season.

Again, just my opinion, but I think in the unlikely event our Eagles do wind up on the short side of 500% Coach Hatcher will NOT be under the gun, or "on the hot seat".. Coach Hatcher has been adopted by the GSU faithful and will be given more slack than you would think. Everyone knows Coach Hatcher has inherited a sinking ship and it is going to take time to right it and get "his" program in place.

If you care to, please monitor the TSC forum from time to time and I think you will get the drift of what I'm saying. Coach Hatcher has been embraced by the fans, and community in a big way, and he's a real breath of fresh air after the "year of the goober".. xrolleyesx

I've read where CITDOG and some others think this is the "year of the Citadel" regarding the CIT/GSU game... Lord willing my wife and I will be sitting on the 45 yard line in Paulson on 10/27/07 so guess the CITDOG and I will find out at the same time if the GSU Eagles are planning to roll over and play dead for the visiting team.

Historically our Eagles play pretty tough in Paulson.. It's "homecoming", and we will have 7 games under out belts when your folks roll into Statesboro. I think we have a pretty good chance of "pulling this one out".. xwhistlex

If I'm wrong I'll be over to the Cit forum admitting such, and I'm sure CITDOG has the personal character to stop by on TSC and do the same in case he's mistaken?

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy