PDA

View Full Version : I-A Victim from last year (Northwestern) back for more punishment

Wildcatcoaster
August 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Last year I was about the only fan of my school -- Northwestern -- worried about New Hampshire (I'd seen them destroy my brother's Colgate team before so was worried). Sure enough, they pasted us 34-17 and it wasn't that close (I was amazed UNH lost at all last year....)

So this weekend we are trying again -- with Northeastern. I'm actually happy to be playing Northeastern because there are a lot of people who confuse the schools -- hopefully this will clear it up.

Oh yeah, we aren't three weeks from our coach's untimely death, we have our starting QB back, they don't have studs like Ricky Santos and David Ball, and EVERYONE will take this game seriously this year......

What do people know about Northeastern? They did beat UNH, something we couldn't do.......

And what other teams do people think will knock off I-As this year?

crunifan
August 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Last year I was about the only fan of my school -- Northwestern -- worried about New Hampshire (I'd seen them destroy my brother's Colgate team before so was worried). Sure enough, they pasted us 34-17 and it wasn't that close (I was amazed UNH lost at all last year....)

So this weekend we are trying again -- with Northeastern. I'm actually happy to be playing Northeastern because there are a lot of people who confuse the schools -- hopefully this will clear it up.

Oh yeah, we aren't three weeks from our coach's untimely death, we have our starting QB back, they don't have studs like Ricky Santos and David Ball, and EVERYONE will take this game seriously this year......

What do people know about Northeastern? They did beat UNH, something we couldn't do.......

First off, I think Northwestern should be able to handle Northeastern this year.

Secondly, I feel obligated, as a UNI fan, to thank you for beating the Hawkeyes in everything. Keep up the good work!

Also, I think some likely upsets include SIU at NIU, UNI at Iowa State, and North Dakota State at Minnesota. The previous two should have happened last year.

FCSFAN
August 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM

And what other teams do people think will knock off I-As this year?Northwestern was far from the toughest team UNH faced in 2006. No smack intended.

Despite your excuses ("we aren't three weeks from our coach's untimely death, we have our starting QB back, they don't have studs") expect a tough game from the Huskies.

See this NU preview: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/magazine/2007bookdraft1.pdf

"Northeastern's 2006 went pretty much according to how prognosticators thought it would - starting the year with five straight road games, including trips to Virginia Tech, James Madison, and North Dakota St, no one was expecting much from the very young Huskies. And, Northeastern didn't do anything to reverse that idea as they dropped four of the first five. However, Northeastern then showed a feisty side by winning consecutive games against Delaware and New Hampshire, the latter in overtime, and even put a scare into UMass in a tight 7-0 loss. Northeastern returns eight starters on offense, which seemed to take off after returning from a torturous opening season schedule. Outside of the UMass game and the tough thrashing at the hands of Maine's defense, the Huskies' offense, anchored by returning quarterback Anthony Orio, was tough to stop.

The defense mirrored the offense a lot last year in that they too were incredibly young, was overwhelmed early in the year, and appeared to improve drastically as the year moved on. Seven players return from that unit though, and the maturity, along with last year's character-building tour of duty, should pay dividends. Second leading tackler Joe Mele returns to the linebacking corps and should help a team that has to improve upon last year's performance, where the Huskies languished near the bottom of most statistical defensive rankings.

The schedule is still difficult, with out of conference games against UC Davis, as well as intriguing games against FBS Northwestern and FCS Northwestern St. Of course, one wonders why these directional schools haven't frequented Northeastern's schedules of the past, but there's no truth to the rumor that play-by-play announcers had anything to do with not scheduling them previously. Northeastern is still young, but with a more manageable schedule, they, like Maine before them, could surprise fans in 2007."

Wildcatcoaster
August 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM
LOL. With Northwestern, no game is either automatic or unwinnable....

1995: Go to Rose Bowl, Beat Notre Dame and Michigan and undefeated in Big Ten. But lose to Miami of Ohio
2000: Win Big Ten, after blowing nonconference games
2004: Beat Ohio State and Penn State -- Lose to Hawaii
2006: Lose to UNH but clobber Iowa

So I take them all seriously, Northeastern included....

Wildcatcoaster
August 26th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Oh, believe me, I'm expecting a tough game. I do take solace in that the Huskies are a run first team -- we do better generally against RB studs than QB studs. Beating Delaware and UNH is impressive (2 schools that I think could go at least .500 in the MAC)

Despite your excuses ("we aren't three weeks from our coach's untimely death, we have our starting QB back, they don't have studs") expect a tough game.

See this NU preview: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/magazine/2007bookdraft1.pdf

"Northeastern's 2006 went pretty much according to how prognosticators thought it would - starting the year with five straight road games, including trips to Virginia Tech, James Madison, and North Dakota St, no one was expecting much from the very young Huskies. And, Northeastern didn't do anything to reverse that idea as they dropped four of the first five. However, Northeastern then showed a feisty side by winning consecutive games against Delaware and New Hampshire, the latter in overtime, and even put a scare into UMass in a tight 7-0 loss. Northeastern returns eight starters on offense, which seemed to take off after returning from a torturous opening season schedule. Outside of the UMass game and the tough thrashing at the hands of Maine's defense, the Huskies' offense, anchored by returning quarterback Anthony Orio, was tough to stop.

The defense mirrored the offense a lot last year in that they too were incredibly young, was overwhelmed early in the year, and appeared to improve drastically as the year moved on. Seven players return from that unit though, and the maturity, along with last year's character-building tour of duty, should pay dividends. Second leading tackler Joe Mele returns to the linebacking corps and should help a team that has to improve upon last year's performance, where the Huskies languished near the bottom of most statistical defensive rankings.

The schedule is still difficult, with out of conference games against UC Davis, as well as intriguing games against FBS Northwestern and FCS Northwestern St. Of course, one wonders why these directional schools haven't frequented Northeastern's schedules of the past, but there's no truth to the rumor that play-by-play announcers had anything to do with not scheduling them previously. Northeastern is still young, but with a more manageable schedule, they, like Maine before them, could surprise fans in 2007."

FCSFAN
August 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Oh, believe me, I'm expecting a tough game. I do take solace in that the Huskies are a run first team -- we do better generally against RB studs than QB studs. Beating Delaware and UNH is impressive (2 schools that I think could go at least .500 in the MAC)UNH and Umass could have won the MAC last year. Maybe this year too, IMO. Probably would've finished top five in the Big 10. :) No smack. Just be ready.

Wildcatcoaster
August 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I think they could have both won the MAC East but not the West but certainly have contended....

Last Year in the Big Ten was pretty top-heavy -- the top 4 are untouchable but maybe 6th if everything went right: Minnesota on down wasn't great....

Ohio State 8 0 12 1 #2 #1 #1 -
Michigan 7 1 11 2 #9 #3 #3 -
Wisconsin 7 1 12 1 #5 #6 #7 -
Penn State 5 3 9 4 #25 - - -
Purdue 5 3 8 6 - - - -
Minnesota 3 5 6 7 - - - -
Indiana 3 5 5 7 - - - -
Northwestern 2 6 4 8 - - - -
Iowa 2 6 6 7 - - - -
Illinois 1 7 2 10 - - - -
Michigan State 1 7 4 8 - - - -

UNH and Umass could have won the MAC last year. Maybe this year too, IMO. Probably would've finished top five in the Big 10. :) No smack. Just be ready.

But I think Northwestern learned our lesson last year and will be ready for our semi-namesake.

X-Factor
August 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
UNH and Umass could have won the MAC last year. Maybe this year too, IMO. Probably would've finished top five in the Big 10. :) No smack. Just be ready.

that's getting a little carried away. Neither of those teams, or any FCS for that matter, could touch the top 5 in the BigTen under even the best circumstances. It is one thing to pull a win against one BigTen, something competely different to do it week after week.

FCSFAN
August 26th, 2007, 11:54 PM
that's getting a little carried away. Neither of those teams, or any FCS for that matter, could touch the top 5 in the BigTen under even the best circumstances. It is one thing to pull a win against one BigTen, something competely different to do it week after week.Really? Indiana State "touched" a top 5 Big Ten team (Purdue) last year. Check it out. I was amazed to see it but it happened. Behind 33-28 with just over six minutes left in the third stanza. Purdue finished 5th in the B10. Indiana State finished 1-10. Perhaps you are a little too enamored with the B10 but they are all not great. Plus they do not even play all the other teams in conference so "week after week" is not a concern. How many lost to FCS last year? Did Michigan have a better record against the B10 than FCS teams in 2006?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM

I'm not sure you appreciate how good the football is in the CAA and top echelon of FBS. In the CAA, JMU, UMass and UNH made the FBS playoffs and a few other teams were just a notch below those teams. If Maine had a little more offense and better place kicking, if Richmond and Towson had a little more experience, etc. There is usually a pretty fine line between the CAA playoff teams and the next level of teams. App State beat UMass in the championship game and JMU during the regular season.

Every UNH fan that I knew thought winning at Northwestern didn't translate into UNH going undefeated. Personally, I felt getting through the consecutive games against Delaware, Richmond and JMU without a loss was very unlikely. Too many good teams and rough road trips in the CAA to go undefeated.

And Northeastern is a very tough team at home, ask Delaware! (Look at their national championship season regular season.) My Wildcats caught Northeastern the week after our tough Homecoming loss to JMU and on Northeastern's Homecoming and a sold out Parsons Field. UNH didn't bring its "A" game and Northeastern made them pay. That's life in the CAA!!

But don't lose sight of the fact that Northeastern has recently played very respectable games at Youngstown State and North Dakota State. I believe they return a lot from last year including most of their skill players. I'm expecting the Huskies to be quite representative Saturday in Evanston.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
that's getting a little carried away. Neither of those teams, or any FCS for that matter, could touch the top 5 in the BigTen under even the best circumstances. It is one thing to pull a win against one BigTen, something competely different to do it week after week.

FWIW, Ralph told me after the UNH-Northwestern game last year that a Big Ten reporter covering the game stated that UNH would have beaten half the Big Ten teams they way they played today.

I'm not sure anyone is really claiming any FCS team "could touch the top 5 in the Big Ten" over the course of a full season. Did you see the smilie? But the fact that my Wildcats could go into ANY Big Ten stadium and win by 17 points was beyond my wildest dreams. And I spent the money to go out there to see the game not really expecting to win! And to hear that reporter say that on that Saturday that UNH would have beat half the Big Ten is eye opening. And you can't believe the positive impact that game had in NH where the majority of our ice hockey zealots trash UNH Football as "small time".

The scholarship difference is supposed to be too great for even an Any Given Saturday scenario! But Southern Illinois beats Indiana, Montana State beats Colorado, Maine beats Mississippi State, UC Davis beats Stanford, etc., etc. We all know that the scholarship difference would not allow any FCS team to compete an entire season in most FBS leagues, but any and every FCS win over a FBS team is a testimony to the high quality of our FCS teams.

Cap'n Cat
August 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Guys, Northwestern really sucked last year. ASU beating them was like kicking a drunk bag lady in an alley. Still, beating a Big Ten team.....

:D

89Hen
August 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'm actually happy to be playing Northeastern because there are a lot of people who confuse the schools -- hopefully this will clear it up.
BTW, Northeastern also plays Northwestern State this year too. xeyebrowx xnodx

89Hen
August 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM
And Northeastern is a very tough team at home, ask Delaware!
xmadx :( xbawlingx xnodx :p

youwouldno
August 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Top FCS teams would be at the top of the MAC. But while the Big 10 isn't very good, it would be hard to finish in the middle of the pack with 63 schollies.

wannabegaucho
August 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Guys, Northwestern really sucked last year. ASU beating them was like kicking a drunk bag lady in an alley. Still, beating a Big Ten team.....
ASU (Arizona State?) beat Northwestern like 2-3 years ago, and Dirk Koetter ran up the score like the jack*** he is.

GeeWiz
August 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Wildcatcoaster,

I wish your Wildcat breathern felt the same way about Northeastern as you do. They've been trashing us something fierce on the Rivals.com Northwestern football boards.

You'd think after finishing 4-7 and losing to a FCS team in UNH they'd be a little more respectful.

Anyway, I think we'll give the Wildcats a good game but we don't have the consistent passing attack to really keep a team like Northwestern off balance enough to pull an upset. Pat Fitzgerald will make sure Northwestern takes this game very seriously.

We also have young CB's that might get exposed on Saturday.

I predict a 34-17 NU win ...

... NU Wildcat win that is. xoopsx

BTW, heres a preview of the NU/NU match-up from College Sporting News

Here's what collegefootballnews.com has to say...

Northeastern at Northwestern 12 pm EST Big Ten Network

Why to Watch: Northwestern looks to get off to a hot start against the Huskies from the Boston-based school before dealing with Nevada next week. There's plenty of optimism around Evanston with second-year head coach Pat Fitzgerald knowing what he's doing a little more, and enough experience and talent returning on both sides of the ball to make a run at a bowl bid. However, the Cats can't afford to drop a game like this, and Northeastern is just good enough to pull off the upset if everything breaks right. This is a veteran team that isn't going to be fazed by playing a Big Ten team.

Why Northeastern Might Win: New Hampshire. Of course, this is a different year and a different Northwestern team, but the Wildcats lost to New Hampshire last year in a game that wasn't even as close as the 34-17 final score might indicate. 16 starters return to the Huskies led by a Big Ten-sized offensive line that should be able to do a little pushing around against a suspect Wildcat run defense.

Why Northwestern Might Win: The NU offensive line should dominate. This is a scrappy 3-4 Northeastern run defense, but it's not all that great. The Wildcats shouldn't have to open up the passing game too often, but the chances will be there with the safeties all but certain to be cheating up to make sure Tyrell Sutton doesn't go nuts.

Who to Watch: It took almost all of last year for Northwestern to get its quarterback situation in place, and now junior C.J. Bacher appears ready to become the offense's leader over the next three seasons. He's not quite the runner the NU offense might prefer, but he's a tremendous passer who'll make the offense go with more consistency than it had last tear. Getting off to a hot start is a must. For Northeastern, it goes with a two-headed quarterback attack of juniors Anthony Orio and John Sperraza. They're veterans who offer something different with Orio a runner and Sperraza more of a passer.

What Will Happen: Northwestern will pull off the battle of the compass with a balanced attack that should move the ball without much of a problem. The Huskies will keep things close for at least a quarter, but won't have enough offense to stay alive in the second half.

CFN Prediction: Northwestern 34 ... Northeastern 20 ... Line: No Line
Must See Rating: (5 Hef wants you to take his place on The Girls Next Door, but you can’t because you have to watch this game - 1 Cavemen) ... 1.5

GeeWiz
August 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM
ASU (Arizona State?) beat Northwestern like 2-3 years ago, and Dirk Koetter ran up the score like the jack*** he is.

BTW, is the new UC Davis stadium complete? And will your website webcast the game vs. Northeastern on Sept. 22?

Thanks.

Go...gate
August 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I have always followed and rooted for Northwestern, the only private school in the Big Ten.

I see them winning this game but it will be competitive, probably 34-20.

CSN-info
August 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
BTW, heres a preview of the NU/NU match-up from College Sporting News

Here's what collegefootballnews.com has to say...Don't confuse CSN with CFN.

CSN does FCS. xthumbsupx

CFN does FBS. xwhistlex

GeeWiz
August 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Don't confuse CSN with CFN.

CSN does FCS. xthumbsupx

CFN does FBS. xwhistlex

Sorry. My bad.

X-Factor
August 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Really? Indiana State "touched" a top 5 Big Ten team (Purdue) last year. Check it out. I was amazed to see it but it happened. Behind 33-28 with just over six minutes left in the third stanza. Purdue finished 5th in the B10. Indiana State finished 1-10. Perhaps you are a little too enamored with the B10 but they are all not great. Plus they do not even play all the other teams in conference so "week after week" is not a concern. How many lost to FCS last year? Did Michigan have a better record against the B10 than FCS teams in 2006?

seriously. It is one thing to go play a BCS team close or maybe even win the game, but it's a completely different animal to go play in said conference and finish 5th in the BigTen. Aint gonna happen. Purdue had some serious defensive problems last fall, especially early in the season. Heck, NDSU rocked the snot out of Minnesota last fall but I really doubt a full conference schedule of BigTen games on our schedule would result in many W's. That was our superbowl.

89Hen
August 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Don't confuse CSN with CFN.

CSN does FCS. xthumbsupx

CFN does FBS. xwhistlex
CNN covers the DNC, FOX cover the RNC and CBN covers the GOD
xsmiley_wix

Russ B
August 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM
BTW, is the new UC Davis stadium complete? And will your website webcast the game vs. Northeastern on Sept. 22?

Yes and yes.

Wildcatcoaster
August 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Even if some fans talk (unjustified) trash, as long as Coach Fitz and the team respects Northeastern, that's good enough for me. But that predicted score (shudder) of 34-17 brings back bad memories

[QUOTE=GeeWiz;626359]Wildcatcoaster,

I wish your Wildcat breathern felt the same way about Northeastern as you do. They've been trashing us something fierce on the Rivals.com Northwestern football boards.

You'd think after finishing 4-7 and losing to a FCS team in UNH they'd be a little more respectful.

Anyway, I think we'll give the Wildcats a good game but we don't have the consistent passing attack to really keep a team like Northwestern off balance enough to pull an upset. Pat Fitzgerald will make sure Northwestern takes this game very seriously.

We also have young CB's that might get exposed on Saturday.