PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State @ Michigan-Week 1

GoGuins
August 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I know, another thread on this game?:) It's been over 6 months since this game was made official & it's finally here. College football is finally here.

Good Luck to ASU. You have a great team and I know your team will come to the Big House and lay it all on the line. I'm looking forward to seeing your fans, band, and team perform. Looking forward to partying it up before and after the game. You'll find Michigan fans are very hospitible in the lots.

We'll be at the golf course (most likely) somewhere between the 1st and 9th hole in my bro's yellow H3. Stop by and say hi if you get a chance.

I've gave out as much info as I can about gameday, but anyone feel free to PM me or ask if you have any more questions.

Have a safe trip up to AA. Here's to a competitive, injury free game and enjoy yourselves before, during, & after

GoGuins
August 26th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Weather looks great, right now forcast calls for 75 deg and mostly sunny

Seawolf97
August 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Likewise - this is the BIG ONE!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Pards Rule
August 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Good luck to App State

PurpleNights
August 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM
IF.....ASU can overcome the mental aspect of being in "The Big House", I think they give UM all they can handle.

AlphaSigMD
August 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Can't wait to get to Ann Arbor! Its gonna be a 12 hour drive (alone) both ways from New Jersey...but its gonna be worth it. Gonna buy the new harry potter book on audio just to break up the trip a little...

I am even more excited now that I hear that the band is going. The best band in FBS and best band in FCS (HBCU excluded for all you grambling and southern fans) appearing on the same field. Thats worth the price of admission alone.

Here's hoping for a great game, and a great showing by Applachian, who not only battles Michigan between the sidelines, but confronts the apathy, ignorance and indifference of the FBS that's all too present in the sport today. I predict we'll be leaving the big house with more respect than we had when we walked in the door.

And hopefully nobody (on either side...) gets hurt.

OL FU
August 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Best of Luck xthumbsupx

citdog
August 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Remember Arkansas, and The Gamecocks! anything can happen!

gasouthern01
August 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Go get em App!! Everybody have a safe drive to and from and everyone in FCS is pulling for you guys. Just as GoGuins said, make sure you enjoy the atmosphere and sit back and soak it in!!

KAUMASS
August 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I'd take a Mountaineer over a wolverine anyday..

Good luck App. State!- from your UMass and all FCS brothers in arms.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Bison77
August 27th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Give them hell App State. Play mistake free and don't give up any easy ones and It'll be interesting. xthumbsupx

putter
August 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Good luck App.. smash 'em in the mouth and give them hell!!

james_lawfirm
August 27th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Good luck App.. smash 'em in the mouth and give them hell!!

Thanks for the love. Although I fully expect to "give 'em hell" up in Ann Arbor, we don't play "smash mouth" football any longer. If we tried, we'd lose (they're bigger). However, speed kills & if ASU has a chance, it is by being elusive. So, if you were speaking rhetorically, then thanks; but if you meant it literally, then that's not happening.

Anyway, I just hope we play a good game, scare the pants off the home crowd & come home with all parts working.

GoGuins
August 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Just saw Michigan's newly released depth chart for this week. I know sometimes they don't mean much, but Michigan is opening with a 3 wide, 1 TE, 1 back set which is unusual for them (usually it's 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 back). Obviously they are going to play to their strength and open it up a bit.

Mountaineer#96
August 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Michigan's WR's and TE's are DEEP, so opening up the playbook in that set helps them. Our secondary will be tested early. Same with the DL.

GoGuins
August 27th, 2007, 12:47 PM
From Lloyd Carr's presser today:

On Appalachian State: "They are a team with outstanding team speed, particularly at the skill positions. The wide receiver position, obviously … [Armanti] Edwards is an exciting athlete at quarterback. From the reports I've read he's improved dramatically in terms of the passing game.

"Their secondary is back … I think [they have] excellent speed, again. In the kicking game, they have outstanding return teams. When you look at them, the thing that immediately impresses is their team speed."

AppFan56
August 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Can't wait to get to Ann Arbor! Its gonna be a 12 hour drive (alone) both ways from New Jersey...but its gonna be worth it. Gonna buy the new harry potter book on audio just to break up the trip a little...

I am even more excited now that I hear that the band is going. The best band in FBS and best band in FCS (HBCU excluded for all you grambling and southern fans) appearing on the same field. Thats worth the price of admission alone.

Here's hoping for a great game, and a great showing by Applachian, who not only battles Michigan between the sidelines, but confronts the apathy, ignorance and indifference of the FBS that's all too present in the sport today. I predict we'll be leaving the big house with more respect than we had when we walked in the door.

I'll second that - I'll be travelling from NJ as well (flying this time) to see my kid play - he's the true freshman DT from Waldwick NJ. Talk about what can happen on Any Given Saturday - I'm thrilled just walking into The Big House to see my son's first college football game. Anything else is a bonus.

citdog
August 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'll second that - I'll be travelling from NJ as well (flying this time) to see my kid play - he's the true freshman DT from Waldwick NJ. Talk about what can happen on Any Given Saturday - I'm thrilled just walking into The Big House to see my son's first college football game. Anything else is a bonus.

you really should save your money and come to Charleston! it'll be a better game!

boonegoon
August 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM
App state just received another future alum in the form of a little girl and therefore I'm unable to attend the game at the Big House. Does anyone on here know where in the Boone/Asheville area they are showing the game?

YSURON
August 27th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Good Luck Appy. Enjoy the game and hope you come out injury free. Will be in Columbus with Y.S.U but will try to keep up on your game. Hope someday we can play each other in regular season. Would be a good game, two good teams and great fans.

CharlestonAppFan
August 27th, 2007, 01:49 PM

We're all glad that your son chose us at ASU; welcome aboard! What a great way to start your career, than by playing Michigan.

And for everyone else on here that are wishing us well....it's much appreciated. I hope every team plays well and no one gets injured and ruins the season before it even can really begin. xthumbsupx

APP91
August 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM

56, I cannot imagine what kind of thrill this is going to be. First game in college on such a stage. Please make sure the bring all the film and video to document this for years to come. I will be there in the black and gold sec. to enjoy with you.

Go Apps!

OL FU
August 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
App state just received another future alum in the form of a little girl and therefore I'm unable to attend the game at the Big House. Does anyone on here know where in the Boone/Asheville area they are showing the game?

congratulationsxnodx

Save your money and send her to Furmanxsmiley_wix

griz37
August 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'll be rooting for Michigan but I hope App. St. plays well & comes out of the game injury free. Also hope all the Mountaineer have a great time in Ann Arbor & a safe trip. Go Blue!

Horseshoe App
August 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Congratulations on your little girl. If you are looking for the game on tv, the Big Ten Network is affiliated with DirectTV. It will be on one of their premium packages. If you find a sports bar that uses DirectTV, you should be in business. Good Luck with getting to see the game and also having your hands full with a new child(hopefully your wife will let you out of the house)

proasu89
August 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Geno's in Boone, Hickory Tavern in Hickory

ASUMountaineer
August 27th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Dude, please tell me you didn't just say that. Anyways, just keep it away from me. Can't wait to get there and sit on the front row at the Big House and see the black and gold go out and represent the best college football around--FCS.

Hi, hi Yikas,
Nobody like us,
We are the Mountaineers, Mountaineers
Always a-winnin',
Always a-grinnin',
Always a-feelin' fine,
You bet, hey!

NC Aggie
August 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM

You will be closer in football talent than band talent. The UM band is pretty darn good....and they even high step sometimes....not as good as Ohio State but hey.

Good luck on the football field. I think you'll represent yourselves well.

phillyAPP
August 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Enjoy the APP ride....I'll be the first to start the BOZZO BOZZO BOZZO cheer.

Sir William
August 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Go get 'em, App! xthumbsupx Furman's rootin' for ya!

Appguy
August 27th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I second that Daniels(This is Palma),(harry potter is for 10 year olds), when are you leaving? Jmoney is coming up here and were heading out Friday at 10 AM.
Ann Arbor is supposed to be like a 10 hour drive from Boone?

74AppState
August 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM
For viewing options on the ASU game--the alumni site is listing "Viewing Parties" in cities where the game will be shown in sports bars etc.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/events/viewingparties.html

james_lawfirm
August 27th, 2007, 08:51 PM
You will be closer in football talent than band talent. The UM band is pretty darn good....and they even high step sometimes....not as good as Ohio State but hey.

Now, wait a minute. Since when is the quality of the band measured by how high they step? In fact, the reverse is true. A marching band might look good goose stepping like a bunch of Nazi dragoons, but sound good they will not. The ASU is truly a phenomenal band because of their SOUND! They are pretty darn good.

I actually know something about this. I was a music major at ASU, although I was not in the marching band. Although some of the ASU band members are not music majors, the section leaders are, and they run a pretty tight ship. They practice a lot, and the music itself is pretty challenging.

I was absolutely stunned when after the '05 Nat'l Championship game in Richie Williams' interview he actually took the time to thank the band for their support. (I know for a fact that the Music Dept. has numerous copies of this speech.) Of course, he was correct to say it, but what athlete, after achieving the ultimate success of a Nat'l Championship would have said that? The Marching Mountaineers are really good, and Richie is a class act. I hope they make a great showing up in Michigan (both the band AND the team).

Grizo406
August 27th, 2007, 08:55 PM
For my 3000th post, I wanted to say something that was compelling, and full of football insight. But the majority of my other 2999 post didn't have any, so there is no reason for me to change that now.

I'll cash my 3k post in by wishing the Mountaineers nothing but good things in their game against Michigan!

GoGuins
August 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM

Michigan's marching band only high steps for about 10 seconds in the middle of their pregame "Hail to the Victors"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYI1SIRSErQ

appsfan
August 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Dude, please tell me you didn't just say that. Anyways, just keep it away from me. Can't wait to get there and sit on the front row at the Big House and see the black and gold go out and represent the best college football around--FCS.

Hi, hi Yikas,
Nobody like us,
Always a-winnin',
Always a-grinnin',
Always a-feelin' fine,
You bet, hey!

Give 'em Hell, Chris. Also, take some good pictures.

AlphaSigMD
August 27th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Hi, hi Yikas,
Nobody like us,
Always a-winnin',
Always a-grinnin',
Always a-feelin' fine,
You bet, hey!

What can I say? I gotta have something to break up the time. Although, it does bring to mind that old Justin Timberlake CD that you played about 7 times on our last road trip to ETSU....

GoGuins
August 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Michigan writer on ASU:

On Monday, Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr said the Wolverines would split time at middle linebacker between redshirt junior John Thompson and redshirt freshman Obi Ezeh, depending on the situation. But if it's up to Appalachian State, U-M won't ever get the chance to rotate its defenders. ASU runs a spread, no-huddle offense that tends to give its opponents fits …

"We've never had a team try to blitz us for four quarters – few blitz us more than a quarter – because they're so tired," sophomore quarterback Armanti Edwards said. "We're up-tempo, no-huddle and teams get tired. We never huddle if we don't have to because we don't want to give our opponents a chance to set up their defense. We want them to get fatigued and have to stay out on the field because then we can use our conditioning to wear them down."

Head coach Jerry Moore admits "wearing down the opponent" is often the game plan, but he laughs when considering the thought of tiring a team like Michigan.

Associated Press

Senior tailback Kevin Richardson has a similar build and game to U-M's Mike Hart.
"We might be the most conditioned, most athletic team in our conference and maybe in Division I-AA – that's our goal – but will that work against Michigan, with their talent and the caliber of athletes they have … I don't know," Moore said. "We're going to run our offense and they'll run their defense and we'll see how we match up."

Appalachian State made the switch to a spread, no-huddle offense prior to the 2005 season and the philosophical change – from a power-running game – immediately paid off. The Mountaineers won the 2005 Division I-AA national title thanks in large part to a high-powered offense that could not be stopped. ASU averaged 30.3 points per game. Last year, Appalachian State averaged 35.2 points per contest en route to a 14-1 mark and a consecutive national championship.

"A few years ago they had good offenses, but when you run out of the power-I you wear your backs down and when they would get to the playoffs, those running backs were out of gas," MountaineerIllustrated.com publisher Brian McLawhorn said. "When they started spreading defenses out, they could utilize the athleticism of their quarterbacks better and they started recruiting for that.

"Armanti Edwards is the example of a kid that fits perfectly within the system of what the coaches are trying to do. Last year he was a runner first. He struggled in the passing game despite throwing over 2,000 yards, but they won because with him and [senior tailback] Kevin Richardson no one could stop the offense consistently."

In 2006, in 13 starts and 15 games played, Edwards rushed for 1,153 yards, while connecting on 60.9 percent of his passes for 2,251 yards and 15 touchdowns. Those may seem like good numbers, but McLawhorn and the ASU coaches promise that he was not a polished passer.

"He threw into double coverage, he made a lot of freshman mistakes," McLawhorn said. "This year, his passing ability has grown leaps and bounds. Last year, he relied almost exclusively on his feet to make plays, but he sees the field so much better and with defenses spread out I think you'll say him take much more advantage in the passing game."

But Edwards won't abandon the run entirely. The sophomore may not have great size at 6-0, 175 pounds, but he runs a 4.4 40-yard dash and he can take a hit.

So can senior tailback Kevin Richardson, who at 5-9, 190 pounds, isn't that big either. But listen to coaches, teammates and reporters describe him, and one would think they're describing Mike Hart.

Associated Press

ASU QB Armanti Edwards aims to spend more time in the pocket this fall.
"Kevin is not a speed back, but he's a guy that is very dangerous because he has great vision and he knows how to hit the holes with all of his momentum going forward," McLawhorn said. "He doesn't mess around. He doesn't try to juke you and he doesn't take it to the edge unless he absolutely has to. He's a very, very strong guy and his strength is in his legs – in his ability to move forward no matter how many tacklers are wrapping their arms around him. He came to Appalachian State as a walk-on and I think that he continues to play with an attitude that he has something to prove."

"Kevin taught me how to run hard, how to be tough," Edwards added. "When I got here, I relied a lot on my speed and quickness and making moves, but Kevin taught me that you don't have to be a 220-pound bruiser to put your shoulder down or to charge into someone. He's as tough as they come."

The Mountaineers will throw to their receivers out of the spread – their not lining up just to play the role of mannequins – but with William Mayfield, and his 64 grabs, 1,129 yards and five touchdowns, no longer available, ASU is uncertain who will emerge Edwards' go-to guy. The coaches think it will be senior Dexter Jackson or sophomore T.J. Courman … they hope it will be.

"Dexter has taken a backseat the last few years but this year it's his show," McLawhorn said.

And the show is about to start. The ticker is now at four days, and counting.

For more on Appalachian State return to TheWolverine.com's premium message board, The Fort, for a live chat with McLawhorn on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. EST

GoGuins
August 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Which area will be most critical for the Mountaineers in the Sept. 1 football opener at Michigan?

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/

mikebigg
August 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Good luck against Michigan... I know yall gonna rep our division well. A win would be nice, but it's the effort that's important. I'll be cheering for the win so that young people will realize that you don't have to go to "the Big Houses" to play good football.

Now as for the band thing... no need to apologize. As they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Although I love our showband styles and appreciate the hard work they put into it... but I've never go to games to see the band. I'm a football guy...bands are for pep rallies (lol).

Good luck!

PS: Gram & SU gets a lot of pub, but to be honest...you need to check out Jackson State's Sonic Boom! They ain't no joke....

GoGuins
August 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Some quotes from Michigan players & coach at yesterday's presser

DE Tim Jamison:

On how the team feels heading into the opener against Appalachian State ... "We're excited about the opener against Appalachian State. We had a chance to watch them a little bit on film last night. We're excited to play them. We have much respect for their team."

On what he knew about Appalachian State when he found out it was the schedule ... "My little brother said he watched them on TV and said, 'man, they're pretty good.' I know that they've won two national championships, so I'm excited to play them. They have a nice quarterback who is pretty quick and a nice running back."

On if there are concerns about overlooking this game ... "We're definitely not looking past this game. We have much respect for this program and we're excited to play them."

LG Adam Kraus:

On Appalachian State's defensive line ... "It's always hard the first game to gauge what the other team, personnel-wise, is going to be like. You have to study their past films, and their games from last year, to see how they are going to play and what technique they are going to have. So yeah, it's always tough the first game but you manage."

On the opener versus Appalachian State ... "It's the opener. You have to take it one game at a time. I think Appalachian State is a great team. They've won two straight NCAA Division I-AA National Championships, and that speaks for itself. We're not going to take these guys lightly at all. They have a powerful offense, and they're a fast team. I am excited to play, and I know my teammates are too."

HC Lloyd Carr:

What have been your impressions of Appalachian State. What do they do well? ... "They're a team with outstanding team speed. I think that particularly the skill positions, the wide receiver position, and obviously Edwards is an exciting athlete at quarterback. From the reports that I've read, he's improved dramatically in terms of the passing game. But he's an exciting football player.

"Their secondary is back. I think they have excellent speed on defense. And the kicking game, they have outstanding return teams. The thing when you look at them, the thing that immediately impresses is their team speed."

What type of offensive style are you expecting from Appalachian State? ... "They have a new offensive coordinator, so we're expecting some different things from what they did a year ago. But philosophically I think they're still going to be a quarterback-oriented offense, and by that I mean they're going to have a lot of ways in which the ball will be in his hand in the running game as well as the passing game."

When you break down film, I'm guessing that you probably know about the team that they're playing on film. Does that make it harder for Appalachian State since they probably don't know as much about the teams that they play? ... "I think that's fair to say, but I think as players and as coaches when you turn their film on, the caliber of the competition they play, those guys are well-coached, and they're extremely competitive. Because we don't play anybody they play, I think it certainly makes it different in terms of personnel and all those issues. But I don't think from any other standpoint it's any different than any other game."

lillycafe
August 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM
The news of a new offensive coordinator at ASU is news to this Mountaineer fan!!!!!!!!!

GoGuins
August 29th, 2007, 12:15 PM
According to The Wolverine.com, 5 top ASU players to watch Sat.

No. 5: Redshirt junior linebacker Pierre Banks led ASU with 110 tackles in 2006 en route to second-team all-conference honors.
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/883/F311694.jpg

No. 4: Senior wideout Dexter Jackson was second on the team last year in receptions with 33 and will be the Mountaineers' top target this fall.
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/883/F311695.jpg

No. 3: Senior cornerback Jerome Touchstone has the confidence one would expect of a 41-game starter, but his size (5-7, 170 pounds) may hurt him against U-M's wideouts
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/883/F311696.jpg

No. 2: Senior tailback Kevin Richardson runs in similar style to Mike Hart and produces like him too -- 1,676 yards in 2006.
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/883/F311697.jpg

No. 1: Sophomore quarterback Armanti Edwards was only the fifth player to amass 1,000 yards rushing and 2,000 yards passing in the same season when he did so as a rookie.
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/883/F311698.jpg

GoGuins
August 29th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Michigan Game Notes
http://www.mgoblue.com/document_file/fbl-weekly-082707.pdf?CFID=13711686&CFTOKEN=b41108266932d4bd-4590E331-A247-916A-A8EA7CAA44F9AEF4