View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-4

JALMOND
October 5th, 2021, 12:28 AM
Hard to believe but we are quickly approaching the halfway point of the season and the conference is getting some separation in the middle between those that are really good and those that are not too good right now. One thing for sure, out of the ones that are pretty good, put two of them on national television and just step aside for a really good show. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parentheses). All are my opinion only.

1. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week, beat Montana at home 34-28, this week at Northern Colorado---The once unstoppable Eagle offense looked to be stopped but how were we to know they were just getting started. A strong come from behind win propels them to the top. They take their show on the road this weekend for a game in the Front Range.

2. Montana (1)---Last week, lost at Eastern Washington 34-28, this week Dixie State (FCS transitional) at home---The Grizzlies contained the high powered Eastern Washington offense for 3 quarters but could to get it down for the whole game. This week, they hope to get back on the winning ways by bringing in an FCS patsy.

3. UC Davis (2)---Last week, beat Idaho at home 27-20, this week at Idaho State---It took the Aggies three quarters before they decided they had had enough and finally put away their opponent in the fourth last week. They now head out on the road to a tough place to play in the conference, even if the home team hasn't won yet.

4. Montana State (4)---Last week, beat Northern Colorado at home 40-7, this week Cal Poly at home---While the good teams were playing things close, the Bobcats were really never threatened in their win last weekend. In what is shaping up to be a really good season, they get another conference test at home again this weekend.

5. Weber State (6)---Last week, won at Cal Poly 38-7, this week bye---Hard to point to the game this past weekend as a must win but the Wildcats needed to start piling up some victories after a rough start to the year and they came through with a good conference road win. They will take this week off before a Friday night tilt the following week.

6. Sacramento State (5)---Last week bye, this week Southern Utah at home---The Hornets were fortunate to get a bye last weekend to regroup and get ready for the stretch run. Eager to stay near the top of the conference, they will take advantage of the bye week and hopefully get back to their winning ways in the conference.

7. Idaho (7)---Last week, lost at UC Davis 27-20, this week Portland State at home---The Vandals went on the road to what seemed to be a better foe and controlled the game for the first three quarters. But the game is four quarters and they could not hold on. They return home this weekend with a winnable game in their building.

8. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week, beat Idaho State at home 48-17, this week bye---After a terrible start to the conference season, the Lumberjacks bounced back with a strong home win. This should prepare them for a good finish in the conference as they take a bye this weekend to get ready for it.

9. Portland State (11)---Last week, won at Southern Utah 20-13, this week at Idaho---The defense had been AWOL all season for the Vikings, but it showed up at a good time last weekend in preserving a conference road win. The question is can it be sustained. They have another tough conference road game this weekend.

10. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week, lost at Montana State 40-7, this week Eastern Washington at home---After good feelings from their first conference game ended up as a win, the Bears headed out to play one of the better teams in the conference and got steamrolled. Now they go back home but they have to play the best team.

11. Cal Poly (10)---Last week, lost to Weber State at home 38-7, this week at Montana State---The Mustangs took another beating last weekend, this time in a home game against one of the heavy hitters in the conference. No time to catch their breaths, they hit the road again with another trip to Big Sky Country in a tough tussle.

12. Southern Utah (12)---Last week, lost to Portland State at home 20-13, this week at Sacramento State---In what was supposed to be their gimme game, the Thunderbirds took one on the chin in their own backyard last weekend. This don't get easier as this weekend, they draw one of the tough teams coming off a bye week and on the road. Yikes!

13. Idaho State (13)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 48-17, this week UC Davis at home---The good news is that the Bengals stayed in the game on the road for one quarter, but the last three were not good. They do return home this weekend looking for their first win and hoping to get it against one of the tougher teams.

RECAP: 1-4 moving ahead, 5-6 within reach, 7-8 trying to keep up, 9-13 off the pace.

Puddin Tane
October 5th, 2021, 01:41 AM
Hard to believe but we are quickly approaching the halfway point of the season and the conference is getting some separation in the middle between those that are really good and those that are not too good right now. One thing for sure, out of the ones that are pretty good, put two of them on national television and just step aside for a really good show. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parentheses). All are my opinion only.

1. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week, beat Montana at home 34-28, this week at Northern Colorado---The once unstoppable Eagle offense looked to be stopped but how were we to know they were just getting started. A strong come from behind win propels them to the top. They take their show on the road this weekend for a game in the Front Range.

2. Montana (1)---Last week, lost at Eastern Washington 34-28, this week Dixie State (FCS transitional) at home---The Grizzlies contained the high powered Eastern Washington offense for 3 quarters but could to get it down for the whole game. This week, they hope to get back on the winning ways by bringing in an FCS patsy.

3. UC Davis (2)---Last week, beat Idaho at home 27-20, this week at Idaho State---It took the Aggies three quarters before they decided they had had enough and finally put away their opponent in the fourth last week. They now head out on the road to a tough place to play in the conference, even if the home team hasn't won yet.

4. Montana State (4)---Last week, beat Northern Colorado at home 40-7, this week Cal Poly at home---While the good teams were playing things close, the Bobcats were really never threatened in their win last weekend. In what is shaping up to be a really good season, they get another conference test at home again this weekend.

5. Weber State (6)---Last week, won at Cal Poly 38-7, this week bye---Hard to point to the game this past weekend as a must win but the Wildcats needed to start piling up some victories after a rough start to the year and they came through with a good conference road win. They will take this week off before a Friday night tilt the following week.

6. Sacramento State (5)---Last week bye, this week Southern Utah at home---The Hornets were fortunate to get a bye last weekend to regroup and get ready for the stretch run. Eager to stay near the top of the conference, they will take advantage of the bye week and hopefully get back to their winning ways in the conference.

7. Idaho (7)---Last week, lost at UC Davis 27-20, this week Portland State at home---The Vandals went on the road to what seemed to be a better foe and controlled the game for the first three quarters. But the game is four quarters and they could not hold on. They return home this weekend with a winnable game in their building.

8. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week, beat Idaho State at home 48-17, this week bye---After a terrible start to the conference season, the Lumberjacks bounced back with a strong home win. This should prepare them for a good finish in the conference as they take a bye this weekend to get ready for it.

9. Portland State (11)---Last week, won at Southern Utah 20-13, this week at Idaho---The defense had been AWOL all season for the Vikings, but it showed up at a good time last weekend in preserving a conference road win. The question is can it be sustained. They have another tough conference road game this weekend.

10. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week, lost at Montana State 40-7, this week Eastern Washington at home---After good feelings from their first conference game ended up as a win, the Bears headed out to play one of the better teams in the conference and got steamrolled. Now they go back home but they have to play the best team.

11. Cal Poly (10)---Last week, lost to Weber State at home 38-7, this week at Montana State---The Mustangs took another beating last weekend, this time in a home game against one of the heavy hitters in the conference. No time to catch their breaths, they hit the road again with another trip to Big Sky Country in a tough tussle.

12. Southern Utah (12)---Last week, lost to Portland State at home 20-13, this week at Sacramento State---In what was supposed to be their gimme game, the Thunderbirds took one on the chin in their own backyard last weekend. This don't get easier as this weekend, they draw one of the tough teams coming off a bye week and on the road. Yikes!

13. Idaho State (13)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 48-17, this week UC Davis at home---The good news is that the Bengals stayed in the game on the road for one quarter, but the last three were not good. They do return home this weekend looking for their first win and hoping to get it against one of the tougher teams.

RECAP: 1-4 moving ahead, 5-6 within reach, 7-8 trying to keep up, 9-13 off the pace.

if yall have 3 teams worse than NoCo, i wanna switch conferences

CA Forever
October 5th, 2021, 09:26 AM

Looks about right to me. I might flip flop Idaho and Sac State and maybe drop Cal Poly even lower, but all in all a pretty accurate take on the conference in my opinion. Davis SHOULD handle the next 3 opponents with ease setting up a battle with Eastern (which we will probably lose because we always seem to fall apart against em).

wapiti
October 5th, 2021, 10:32 AM
1. Eastern Washington ---Beat the number 1 this past weekend earn EWU the number 1 spot

Tie for 2nd
2. Montana ---The Griz's mighty D faltered in the 4th. Maybe their D has been overhyped a bit, but still a pretty good D.

2. UC Davis ---Struggled for while against Idaho, but in the end took the W.

4. Montana State ---Easily handled UNC. A UNC assistant coach threw a clipboard at a fan and hit a different fan. (The clipboard is about to hit the fan!)

5. Weber State ---CP is what the BBQ needed to start earning some W's.

6. Sacramento State ---Did not play this past weekend.

7. Idaho ---Gave UC-Davis a good game. Middle of the Big Sky pack seems to be where Idaho belongs.

8. Northern Arizona ---NAU finally earns an FCS win to go along the FBS win.

9. Portland State ---Won a road game. Good for PSU. PSU has a great opportunity to earn some W's the next 3 weeks.

10. Northern Colorado ---Was thumped on the road in Bozeman.

11. Cal Poly --- CP is in a near tie with SUU, but I see the road W over San Diego as a better win the a 5 point win at home against Tarleton

12. Southern Utah ---SUU was unable top defend their home turf against the number 9 team in conference

13. Idaho State ---Will ISU get a win this season? Their schedule does not look good for it.
RECAP: 1-5 The top of the conference, 6-9 trying to keep up, 10-13 bringing up the rear.

putter
October 5th, 2021, 05:59 PM
I won't knock the Montana D for holding Eastern to almost 20 points under their average, the Montana O did nothing to help them. Only thing I change is I would put MSU over UC Davis

nevadagriz
October 5th, 2021, 06:34 PM
I would put MSU at 2 Davis 3 Montana 4.
Msu might be most well rounded team in conference. I hate saying that as a Griz fan but it is True. I think Montana finishes with a record of 9-2 with the other loss coming to State.

EWU vs MSU game could be for conference championship.

F'N Hawks
October 7th, 2021, 01:23 PM
Was just looking at Montana State's schedule - sharpie them into the playoffs. They got 7 wins without even breaking a sweat. The big 3 will dictate where they are slotted.

MSUBobcat
October 7th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Was just looking at Montana State's schedule - sharpie them into the playoffs. They got 7 wins without even breaking a sweat. The big 3 will dictate where they are slotted.

No way. If MSU only wins 7 games and loses the "big 3" (Weber, EWU and UM), they will not be in the playoffs. What would be the reasoning to include them? The "signature win" over Idaho, currently deemed the 7th best team in the Big Sky? That would put us in 5th place at 5-3 in conference, barring any upsets of EWU, Davis, UM and WSU. The winner of EWU-Davis would have 0 conference losses and the loser would have 1, UM would have just the loss to EWU and BBQ would have the 2 losses they currently have. A 7-4, 5th place team getting in would cause Reign of Terrier's head to explode. I suppose IF the Bobcats lost all of the big 3 by 3pts or less, possibly even by a last second FG in a game or 2, they may squeak in, but 1 of the 3 have to be a W in my humble opinion.

F'N Hawks
October 7th, 2021, 03:02 PM
No way. If MSU only wins 7 games and loses the "big 3" (Weber, EWU and UM), they will not be in the playoffs. What would be the reasoning to include them? The "signature win" over Idaho, currently deemed the 7th best team in the Big Sky? That would put us in 5th place at 5-3 in conference, barring any upsets of EWU, Davis, UM and WSU. The winner of EWU-Davis would have 0 conference losses and the loser would have 1, UM would have just the loss to EWU and BBQ would have the 2 losses they currently have. A 7-4, 5th place team getting in would cause Reign of Terrier's head to explode. I suppose IF the Bobcats lost all of the big 3 by 3pts or less, possibly even by a last second FG in a game or 2, they may squeak in, but 1 of the 3 have to be a W in my humble opinion.

i think 7-4 in the Big Sky will get them in, along with name recognition and the run they made in 19. Agree, they don't have much of resume but I supposed it will depend on their 7-4 competitors for those last spots.

MSUBobcat
October 7th, 2021, 04:13 PM
i think 7-4 in the Big Sky will get them in, along with name recognition and the run they made in 19. Agree, they don't have much of resume but I supposed it will depend on their 7-4 competitors for those last spots.

Hopefully this is an irrelevant debate, but I think for a 5th place 7-4 Big Sky team to get in, you'd have to have at least a quality win to point to. We scheduled a very weak OOC, so if we beat 5 bottom feeders in conference, but lose to 3 of the top 6 while avoiding the other 2 (Davis and, at this point Sac St.), I can't even bring the homer in me to say we belong. Let's just beat the Grills and not have to worry about it from there on.