PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm Crazy

CrazyCat
August 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I just wanted the opinion of this board on a question I've been wondering about. Hypothetically Michigan beats ASU 30-10. Texas A&M beats MSU 30-10. My feeling is that ASU stays #1 and MSU falls out of the top 25. Any opinions?

DuckDuckGriz
August 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I just wanted the opinion of this board on a question I've been wondering about. Hypothetically Michigan beats ASU 30-10. Texas A&M beats MSU 30-10. My feeling is that ASU stays #1 and MSU falls out of the top 25. Any opinions?

Traditionally no FCS team has lost ranking after losing to a BCS team. Georgia Southern was ranked #1 in 2000 or 2001 I believe and lost pretty good to Georgia and didn't drop. It's "win-win" as they say.

Mountaineer
August 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Traditionally no FCS team has lost ranking after losing to a BCS team. Georgia Southern was ranked #1 in 2000 or 2001 I believe and lost pretty good to Georgia and didn't drop. It's "win-win" as they say.

Pretty sure ASU dropped last year (from #1) after losing to NC State. Granted, I wouldn't consider the Wolfpack a BCS team :p and my memory may be fuzzy - but I thought it happened.

kardplayer
August 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I suppose it all depends on the mix of voters - but I don't drop teams for losing to BCS schools. I also don't bump teams up for beating DII schools...

AZGrizFan
August 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM

There's no doubt....you ARE Crazy. Literally and figuratively. xeyebrowx ;)

CopperCat
August 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
What happened to PSU last year in the polls after they lost to their D-1 teams? I don't know, so maybe somebody has the answer.

yoself09
August 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Pretty sure ASU dropped last year (from #1) after losing to NC State. Granted, I wouldn't consider the Wolfpack a BCS team :p and my memory may be fuzzy - but I thought it happened.

You are correct sir
I was scratching my head after that

CrazyCat
August 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM
There's no doubt....you ARE Crazy. Literally and figuratively. xeyebrowx ;)

I'll borrow one from Albert Einstein

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"xrolleyesx

FCS Go!
August 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Montana dropped a spot or two after losing to Hawaii in 2001 (or maybe it was the loss to Wyoming in 97).

If App St gets really pummeled (say 56-0) by Michigan I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop out of #1. I'm not saying that I'd agree with dropping them but it seems like it has happened before.

As for Montana St, it seems like the lower you are in the poll, the less forgiving the pollsters are. I would expect lower ranked teams to drop if they lose big, no matter who it is they lose to.

DuckDuckGriz
August 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Montana dropped a spot or two after losing to Hawaii in 2001 (or maybe it was the loss to Wyoming in 97).

If App St gets really pummeled (say 56-0) by Michigan I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop out of #1. I'm not saying that I'd agree with dropping them but it seems like it has happened before.

As for Montana St, it seems like the lower you are in the poll, the less forgiving the pollsters are. I would expect lower ranked teams to drop if they lose big, no matter who it is they lose to.

In the big picture though ranking shouldn't really matter unless you are looking for a top seed to the playoffs. A loss to a team like Texas A&M is not one that will have much effect when the playoff committee is judging.

CrazyCat
August 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM

I guess that was part of my thinking. Whether ASU has a little favortism being higher in the polls.

CopperCat
August 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
In the big picture though ranking shouldn't really matter unless you are looking for a top seed to the playoffs. A loss to a team like Texas A&M is not one that will have much effect when the playoff committee is judging.

But what if that loss is a close one? If the committee is trying to pick between a few teams that are very close on paper, then maybe that close loss comes into play. Every step in the scheme of things can add up.

And as far as the pollsters knocking MSU out of the polls: have at it. I don't need some bonehead columnist to to tell me that my team is good or bad when I can see it for myself in person.

89Hen
August 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Neither moves.

mistersykes
August 26th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason that App dropped to #2 after their FBS loss was because UNH won their FBS game in impressive fashion. I don't think its normal for FBS games to have a huge effect on the FCS polls unless the FCS team wins.

McNeese_beat
August 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I think it makes the FCS poll more nuanced. When McNeese was No. 1 and lost 55-7 at Kansas State in 03, it deserved to be dropped from the top spot. That game turned out to be a red flag for that team's vulnerabilities. The 02 team dropped in the polls after losing 42-7 at Nebraska in a game that was 21-7 after the third quarter. That time, I couldn't understand why McNeese dropped.

Voters should pay attention not only to who won and lost, but how.

ronpayne
August 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I don't believe ASU dropped that week after losing at NC State...

ASU stayed #1 for that week, but then dropped to #2 after beating JMU, because UNH had a great game that week. I am pretty sure there, because I was complaining to my wife about how we lost a game we should have won to NCSU and stayed at the top but then convincingly win the game that really counts against a former national champ and drop.

Either way, I don't predict ASU dropping much, but if they do, maybe to 2 or 3. It seems like from the articles and the polls, unless ASU shows some flaws in the defensive line or special teams that we are the team to beat, so I suspect only flaws in key areas will cause any poll movement, at least till we get past the first couple of games, Michigan, Lenoir-Rhyne, etc.

Back to my regularly scheduled nap xcoffeex

mistersykes
August 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I don't believe ASU dropped that week after losing at NC State...

ASU stayed #1 for that week, but then dropped to #2 after beating JMU, because UNH had a great game that week. I am pretty sure there, because I was complaining to my wife about how we lost a game we should have won to NCSU and stayed at the top but then convincingly win the game that really counts against a former national champ and drop.

Oh yeah, that does sound familiar now! Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

Retro
August 26th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I think it makes the FCS poll more nuanced. When McNeese was No. 1 and lost 55-7 at Kansas State in 03, it deserved to be dropped from the top spot. That game turned out to be a red flag for that team's vulnerabilities. The 02 team dropped in the polls after losing 42-7 at Nebraska in a game that was 21-7 after the third quarter. That time, I couldn't understand why McNeese dropped.

For the record, it was KSU 55 - 14 and Nebraska 38 - 14... ;)

McNeese_beat
August 27th, 2007, 01:06 AM
For the record, it was KSU 55 - 14 and Nebraska 38 - 14... ;)
Ha! That's why you should never just go on memory...

already123
August 27th, 2007, 04:33 AM

Tough to say "how" a given team loses a game....

I look at this way, most games that are close early, end up in a loss beacuse of depth. It truly makes a difference when you have an extra 22 scholarships to give out. Though a loss is a loss, I believe you must look at a the finer points before you fault a team that looses to a top 10 team. (remember that KSU ended up the big 12 that year)

FCSFAN
August 27th, 2007, 04:34 AM
5/22/2006 Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian State (45)
2. New Hampshire (31)
3. Northern Iowa (7)
4. Montana (2)
5. Furman (2)

AGS Poll (9/4/2006)
Rank, School, First Place Votes, Movement from Last Poll
1. New Hampshire (28) +1
2. Northern Iowa (16) +1
3. Appalachian State (20) -2
4. Cal Poly (1) +2
5. Montana -1

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25 (9/11/06)
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. New Hampshire (64)
2. Appalachian State (6)
3. Cal Poly
4. Montana
5. Furman (1)

8/7/2006 The Sports Network 2006 Preseason I-AA College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) 2005 Record Points 2005 Final Rank
1. Appalachian State (68) 12-3 2,306 1
2. New Hampshire (14) 11-2 2,153 5
3. Montana (5) 8-4 1,954 12
4. Northern Iowa (3) 11-4 1,936 2
5. Furman (1) 11-3 1,928 3

9/4/2006 The Sports Network I-AA Top-25 Poll
Team (First-place votes) 2006 Record Points Previous Next Week
1 . Appalachian State (43) 0-1 2,478
2 . New Hampshire (31) 0-0 2,437
3 . Northern Iowa (13) 1-0 2,329
4 . Furman (3) 1-0 2,177
5 . Cal Poly (4) 1-0 2,127

The Sports Network I-AA Top 25 (Sept. 11)
Team (First-place votes) 2006 Record Points Previous Next Week
1. New Hampshire (56) 1-0 2,513 2
2. Appalachian State (42) 1-1 2,469 1
3. Cal Poly (1) 2-0 2,230 5
4. Furman 2-0 2,221 4
5. Montana 1-1 2,058 6

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80343

McNeese_beat
August 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Tough to say "how" a given team loses a game....

I look at this way, most games that are close early, end up in a loss beacuse of depth. It truly makes a difference when you have an extra 22 scholarships to give out. Though a loss is a loss, I believe you must look at a the finer points before you fault a team that looses to a top 10 team. (remember that KSU ended up the big 12 that year)

I think word gets out to voters on these things, especially in this day and age. In 2002, voters could easily have found out that old Memorial Stadium in Lincoln was pretty nervous entering the fourth quarter because McNeese was hanging around, still in the game. In 2003, word got out that K-State kicked McNeese's butt up and down the field and McNeese sort of laid down for that one. Even McNeese's 2000 team competed better at Miami.

Of course, losing bad to a ranked BCS team by any margin shouldn't have a huge impact on the FCS team's poll position. But if the rankings are close and an FCS team goes somewhere and does not compete, I don't think it's out of bounds for a voter to give that serious consideration.

gmoney55
August 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Right, ASU held the No. 1 spot after losing to NC State, but dropped when UNH beat Northwestern the next week.

And that's the thing to remember when you look at the rankings, especially early. It's not just what you do, it's what other people do. I don't see a team that has a matchup that could get it past ASU in the first week, but if a team like Montana State loses to TX A & M, it depends more on what teams behind and above them do. If someone from outside the top 25 beats an FBS team, they probably jump MSU. If someone aboves has a bad loss, MSU jumps them, etc...

GGASU
August 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
ASU will stay at #1 in the FCS poll, and move up to around 20 in the sagarin rankings after the upset. xwhistlex

Ronbo
August 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM
We dropped 2-3 spots the past two years after losing to Oregon and Iowa. That being said I don't expect App. State to drop in the Sports Network poll or the AGS Poll no matter how bad they lose.

Cap'n Cat
August 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM
We dropped 3-4 spots the past two years after losing to Oregon and Iowa. That being said I don't expect App. State to drop in the Sports Network poll or the AGS Poll no matter how bad they lose.

If your team was in a decent conference, they would not have dropped that far, if at all.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Ronbo
August 27th, 2007, 09:59 AM
If your team was in a decent conference, they would not have dropped that far, if at all.

Montana 20 Southern Illinois 3. Another Gateway cupcake falls to the Griz. At least they had better offense and defense than the team that lost 38-0. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cap'n Cat
August 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
xnodx xnodx

Montana 20 Southern Illinois 3. Another Gateway cupcake falls to the Griz. At least they had better offense and defense than the team that lost 38-0. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Nice avoidance of the issue, Skip!!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Montana in the Gateway: 3-4, 5-6; each and every year

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

'Course, no mention of the home azz-whoopin' by Western Illinois!

AZGrizFan
August 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
xnodx xnodx

'Course, no mention of the home azz-whoopin' by Western Illinois!

Even a broke clock is right twice a day, Myron. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

89Hen
August 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM
We dropped 2-3 spots the past two years after losing to Oregon and Iowa.

Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25
4. Montana (2)

9/4/2006
5. Montana

9/11/2006
4. Montana

9/18/2006
4. Montana

9/25/2006
3. Montana

10/2/2006
3. Montana

10/9/2006
3. Montana

10/16/2006
2. Montana (6)

10/23/2006
3. Montana (6)

10/30/2006
2. Montana (4)

11/6/2006
2. Montana (3)

11/13/2006
2. Montana (4)

11/20/2006
2. Montana (2)

Cap'n Cat
August 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Even a broke clock is right twice a day, Myron. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

There are many chinks in the Griz armor, I suspect. We will find them this season.

Regarding this, though, just the thought of Ronbo sitting red-faced at the monitor in his mom's basement in his Teletubbies jammies, diaper leaking, getting all pissed at me gives me all the humor I'll need all day!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

putter
August 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Cap'n,

Have another Alaskan Amber you button pusher you!!!

AZGrizFan
August 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM
There are many chinks in the Griz armor, I suspect. We will find them this season.
Regarding this, though, just the thought of Ronbo sitting red-faced at the monitor in his mom's basement in his Teletubbies jammies, diaper leaking, getting all pissed at me gives me all the humor I'll need all day!!!!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Quit being a racist. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;) ;) ;)

And the thought of YOU, hanging your hat on a game from four years ago to defend your argument about the Griz strength THIS year is all the humor that I need. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cap'n Cat
August 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Quit being a racist. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;) ;) ;)

And the thought of YOU, hanging your hat on a game from four years ago to defend your argument about the Griz strength THIS year is all the humor that I need. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Funny, that's what we were calling Ronbo on!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
August 27th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Funny, that's what we were calling Ronbo on!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

At least the game he was referencing was less than 12 months ago.... xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

Hansel
August 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM
MSU won't drop out of the poll until they lose to Dixie St

Cap'n Cat
August 27th, 2007, 01:54 PM
At least the game he was referencing was less than 12 months ago.... xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

xeyebrowx

CopperCat
August 27th, 2007, 09:27 PM
MSU won't drop out of the poll until they lose to Dixie St

You live in the wrong town buddy.xnonox