PDA

View Full Version : Lamar/Sam Houston

acbearkat
October 4th, 2021, 07:31 AM
Will this game turn into one of the biggest blowouts of the year? Possibly. Sam Houston beat Lamar 62-7 in the spring despite turning the ball over four times (Lamar also turned the ball over four times). Lamar likes to run the ball, which is exactly what our defense is built to stop, and Lamar is arguably worse than they were in the spring. As our friend Puddin Tane said about Lamar "You could beat this team with 3 d lineman, a twirler, 2 tuba players, a cheerleader and 4 flag girls." That's a direct quote from him on Big Red Insider. On a more serious note, the triple option experiment in Beaumont needs to come to an end. It's clearly not working.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2021, 09:28 AM
Will this game turn into one of the biggest blowouts of the year? Possibly. Sam Houston beat Lamar 62-7 in the spring despite turning the ball over four times (Lamar also turned the ball over four times). Lamar likes to run the ball, which is exactly what our defense is built to stop, and Lamar is arguably worse than they were in the spring. As our friend Puddin Tane said about Lamar "You could beat this team with 3 d lineman, a twirler, 2 tuba players, a cheerleader and 4 flag girls." That's a direct quote from him on Big Red Insider. On a more serious note, the triple option experiment in Beaumont needs to come to an end. It's clearly not working.

In the past, sometimes Keeler teams play down to their competition. Considering this is coming after an emotional rivalry game, I don't think it will be THAT kind of blowout. Lamar may hang around in the first half.

katss07
October 4th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Nah it’ll be “that kind” of blowout. Because Lamar is that bad.

Katfan
October 4th, 2021, 11:53 AM
I’d like to see Shoemaker take some more snaps in this game.

Puddin Tane
October 4th, 2021, 12:25 PM
If schmid plays, sammy scores as many points as they want.

But, if another qb plays….sammy scores as many points as they want

Katfan
October 4th, 2021, 01:37 PM
If schmid plays, sammy scores as many points as they want.

But, if another qb plays….sammy scores as many points as they want
Good one! Especially now that Shoemaker has a game under his belt

katss07
October 4th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Shoemaker is a good quarterback, and he’ll keep improving. Carty just sucks.

Puddin Tane
October 4th, 2021, 03:11 PM
I’d go with the excuses of new coach, or that the roster is 80% freshmen, new scheme…but i fricking hate the new offense. The number of “freshmen” is fuzzy covid math. Morgans had 2 recruiting classes, half of the first one is gone. Weve got walkons out the wazzoo.

After ACU, Morgan said the offense was too complicated! Sammy may only see the fullback dive play.

Puddin Tane
October 4th, 2021, 03:14 PM
We actually have some guys on defense with potential. Defense should improve next year.

Puddin Tane
October 4th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Good one! Especially now that Shoemaker has a game under his belt

wheres brock? We liked playing against him

CockyGeek
October 4th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Running clock in the second half

Daytripper
October 4th, 2021, 04:45 PM

Doing in Western Michigan exactly what he did here.

Serpentor
October 4th, 2021, 04:51 PM

Look, I love my Bearkats as much as the next SHSU fan here, but this really didn't deserve its own thread. The only way this game is noteworthy is if Lamar gets an upset, and that won't be determined until this weekend.

SFA 93
October 4th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Ty Brock was at Central Michigan in 2020, but no longer is listed on the roster for 2021.

Katfan
October 4th, 2021, 08:23 PM
I’d go with the excuses of new coach, or that the roster is 80% freshmen, new scheme…but i fricking hate the new offense. The number of “freshmen” is fuzzy covid math. Morgans had 2 recruiting classes, half of the first one is gone. Weve got walkons out the wazzoo.

After ACU, Morgan said the offense was too complicated! Sammy may only see the fullback dive play.
Then you will have negative yards for the game!

Katfan
October 4th, 2021, 08:27 PM
**** that game sucked our offense scored points for your team to win. Only touchdown you had was in ot. But that game showed me that our defense was really good as they almost beat both teams offense playing against them. If we only had a qb!

Katfan
October 4th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Running clock in the second half
Mid 2nd qtr if Schmid plays

katss07
October 4th, 2021, 09:27 PM
Ty quit the team at CMU. Football was “not his passion”.

Puddin Tane
October 5th, 2021, 01:48 AM
**** that game sucked our offense scored points for your team to win. Only touchdown you had was in ot. But that game showed me that our defense was really good as they almost beat both teams offense playing against them. If we only had a qb!

we were 2-0 vs the brock. 41-23 the year before

- - - Updated - - -

Mid 2nd qtr if Schmid plays

with 6 minute quarters

gokat89
October 5th, 2021, 06:02 AM
Shoemaker is a good quarterback, and he’ll keep improving. Carty just sucks.

Based on what?

KPSUL
October 5th, 2021, 08:16 AM
Look, I love my Bearkats as much as the next SHSU fan here, but this really didn't deserve its own thread. The only way this game is noteworthy is if Lamar gets an upset, and that won't be determined until this weekend.

Hooty Who the f_ _ _ needs to read your post.

katss07
October 5th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Based on what?
Play calling. I think he tries to outsmart defenses way too hard. The BOTPW was especially egregious. Called a run on third and long during the game winning drive that resulted in a gain of 2 (SFA had shut down Jefferson all day). Twice called rollouts for Shoe on fourth and short, converted neither. Used the ever-predictable Trapper Pannell fake handoff play what, four times? Just to name a few I remember. Refused to adjust the offense to Shoemaker’s skillset. I rewatched the game and even the announcers questioned his decision making.

That’s not even to mention his love for poorly-designed trick plays. Do we use the three-linemen wide set every game? It’s worked twice that I can remember, one of which was the infamous Davion Davis catch against UCA. Hell, his trick play against Central Arkansas is the reason Schmid didn’t play against SFA.

Let’s not forget the frustrations with the 2018 and 2019 teams and their inability to score. Poor play calling cost us both UND games. It cost us the ACU game in 2018 and the Lamar game in 2019. That game still boils my blood. He’s fine when he has elite talent at every position. But when Schmid and Ezzard and Ife and Smith aren’t playing anymore I’m worried we could be back to scoring 10 points against the Abilene Christians of the world. Maybe by then he’ll be the head coach at Delaware.

Daytripper
October 5th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Play calling. I think he tries to outsmart defenses way too hard. The BOTPW was especially egregious. Called a run on third and long during the game winning drive that resulted in a gain of 2 (SFA had shut down Jefferson all day). Twice called rollouts for Shoe on fourth and short, converted neither. Used the ever-predictable Trapper Pannell fake handoff play what, four times? Just to name a few I remember. Refused to adjust the offense to Shoemaker’s skillset. I rewatched the game and even the announcers questioned his decision making.

That’s not even to mention his love for poorly-designed trick plays. Do we use the three-linemen wide set every game? It’s worked twice that I can remember, one of which was the infamous Davion Davis catch against UCA. Hell, his trick play against Central Arkansas is the reason Schmid didn’t play against SFA.

Let’s not forget the frustrations with the 2018 and 2019 teams and their inability to score. Poor play calling cost us both UND games. It cost us the ACU game in 2018 and the Lamar game in 2019. That game still boils my blood. He’s fine when he has elite talent at every position. But when Schmid and Ezzard and Ife and Smith aren’t playing anymore I’m worried we could be back to scoring 10 points against the Abilene Christians of the world. Maybe by then he’ll be the head coach at Delaware.

^^^He's not wrong^^^

https://media.giphy.com/media/qHjbXtxNawWR2/giphy.gif

SHSU90
October 5th, 2021, 02:36 PM

That game in 2019 against Lamar and the Last one against NW that year still make me boil also glad to know I am not alone

Bisonator
October 5th, 2021, 02:40 PM
If Sammy doesn't win by 60 they should be replaced in the poll with hootyhoo's owls. :D

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2021, 06:17 PM

you always have Ezzard

When going gets tough it seems like the play is Ezzard go long

Katfan
October 5th, 2021, 08:02 PM
That game in 2019 against Lamar and the Last one against NW that year still make me boil also glad to know I am not alone
Count me in. That game had me as upset about a game as ever!

- - - Updated - - -

If Sammy doesn't win by 60 they should be replaced in the poll with hootyhoo's owls. :D
Or JSU!

Katfan
October 5th, 2021, 08:04 PM
you always have Ezzard

When going gets tough it seems like the play is Ezzard go long
That is not true! We let the defense make them punt the ball to him! Why any team would punt to this guy is beyond me but I’m glad they do!

caribbeanhen
October 6th, 2021, 05:36 AM
That is not true! We let the defense make them punt the ball to him! Why any team would punt to this guy is beyond me but I’m glad they do!

I don’t remember everything but I don’t remember seeing a better Punt returner at FCS level

gokat89
October 6th, 2021, 01:52 PM

So instead of focusing on the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP the Kats just won, with Carty as the Offensive Coordinator, lets focus on the games from 2018 and 2019 when he just arrived in Huntsville and the team at that time was a totally different team.

The 2021 Kat offense is currently ranked in top 30 in the country in the main offensive categories...

#10 in total offense @ 472 ypg
#8 in scoring offense @ 40 ppg
#12 in rushing offense @ 211 ypg
#27 in passing offense @ 261 ypg

Now I am no expert here, but I am pretty sure he is doing his job with those current results. Oh and the team is 4-0, ranked #1 in the nation. BUT you want to sit and base your "Carty sucks" comment on results from 2018 when Sam Houston's defense was TERRIBLE !!!

2018... Defense surrendered 472ypg per game, 208 yds rushing per game
2019... Sam Houston started 5 DIFFERENT QB'S during the year due to injuries, not to mention all the injuries along the offensive line that year.

But none of this is a factor I am sure.

Oh and an FYI, most coaches are pretty good when they have elite talent all over the field. That is the goal right? Isnt that what recruiting is all about? Finding the most elite talent you can find to put on the field.

I think yall need to look at the glass half full and not empty. Kats had a special season last year and are on their way to another special season. xtwocentsx

katss07
October 6th, 2021, 02:00 PM
So instead of focusing on the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP the Kats just won, with Carty as the Offensive Coordinator, lets focus on the games from 2018 and 2019 when he just arrived in Huntsville and the team at that time was a totally different team.

The 2021 Kat offense is currently ranked in top 30 in the country in the main offensive categories...

Now I am no expert here, but I am pretty sure he is doing his job with those current results. Oh and the team is 4-0, ranked #1 in the nation. BUT you want to sit and base your "Carty sucks" comment on results from 2018 when Sam Houston's defense was TERRIBLE !!!

2019... Sam Houston started 5 DIFFERENT QB'S during the year due to injuries, not to mention all the injuries along the offensive line that year.

Oh and an FYI, most coaches are pretty good when they have elite talent all over the field. That is the goal right? Isnt that what recruiting is all about? Finding the most elite talent you can find to put on the field.

I think yall need to look at the glass half full and not empty. Kats had a special season last year and are on their way to another special season. xtwocentsx
I literally told you that I based my “Carty sucks” comments on the Battle of the Piney Woods. However, 2018 and 2019 certainly back up my gripes, and I don’t see what the poor 2018 defense has to do with his **** play calling.

Daytripper
October 6th, 2021, 02:32 PM

Schmid and Ezzard could make me look like a decent Offensive Coordinator.

SHSU90
October 6th, 2021, 02:46 PM

The 19 game just one I will never forget it was like a pin under your fingernail

I have moved on and have seen him get better even heard from insider about his growth as a play caller the last year
It is a message board lol we get to revisit things
But I like most hope to really never see the swinging gate formation again in the middle of the field

caribbeanhen
October 6th, 2021, 08:36 PM
Schmid and Ezzard could make me look like a decent Offensive Coordinator.

agree! KC has always known it’s about talent

Katfan
October 6th, 2021, 08:38 PM
The 19 game just one I will never forget it was like a pin under your fingernail

I have moved on and have seen him get better even heard from insider about his growth as a play caller the last year
It is a message board lol we get to revisit things
But I like most hope to really never see the swinging gate formation again in the middle of the field
I’ll go on record I never want to see the swinging gate again unless it is our opponent running it!

katss07
October 7th, 2021, 12:42 AM
Didn’t know there was a name for that stupid play. It puts guys at risk of injury and we run it so much it doesn’t even fool anyone. I wouldn’t complain so much about Carty if that was scrapped. That and the backwards pass off the direct snap that about got Schmid killed against Central Arkansas.

I’ll give him this, the play we ran for Noah Smith in the fourth against SFA was excellent and them airing out the ball at the right time saved us.

SHSU90
October 7th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Didn’t know there was a name for that stupid play. It puts guys at risk of injury and we run it so much it doesn’t even fool anyone. I wouldn’t complain so much about Carty if that was scrapped. That and the backwards pass off the direct snap that about got Schmid killed against Central Arkansas.

I’ll give him this, the play we ran for Noah Smith in the fourth against SFA was excellent and them airing out the ball at the right time saved us.

High Schools usually run it as a goal line formation before a extra point for a 2 point conversion or then shift and kick the point after

Daytripper
October 7th, 2021, 02:17 PM
High Schools usually run it as a goal line formation before a extra point for a 2 point conversion or then shift and kick the point after

And it shouldn't be in the Carty rotation of trick plays if it only works 10% of the time.