PDA

View Full Version : Flacco could be Hen's Best

ChickenMan
August 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Flacco could surpass former Hen QB stars
size, strong arm impress NFL scouts; winning will satisfy fans

NEWARK -- Tubby Raymond, in just his fourth year as University of Delaware football coach in 1969, wondered if he'd ever see a better quarterback in a Blue Hen uniform.

His second-year starter, senior Tom DiMuzio, had thrown for 2,179 yards and 24 touchdowns to spark Delaware to a 9-2 season, the most wins in its already successful history. No Hens QB had ever surpassed 1,495 yards and 12 TDs in a season.

"I was so depressed when DiMuzio left," Raymond said recently while watching the 2007 team scrimmage on the field bearing his name. "I told my wife [Sue], 'We just had the best quarterback we're ever going to have. We're never going to have another one like him." "She laughed at me and, of course ... "

A succession of stellar quarterbacks would follow DiMuzio, including three -- Jeff Komlo, Scott Brunner and Rich Gannon -- who would start in the National Football League.

As Delaware's 2007 opener looms Thursday night at William & Mary, another stands ready to join that pantheon of quarterbacks

I have to agree.. I've seen them all and Joe Flacco may be the best pure passer ever to play at UD. I expect very big things from Mr Flacco in '07.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070826/SPORTS07/708260410/1002/SPORTS&GID=vS+MoLbi6/TiuZCUhsldHQkgUWaUqj1rEp7F5nY6crM%3D

umassfan
August 27th, 2007, 01:51 AM
He may have a strong arm but he isnt the best passer in the CAA. I would have him 4th but thats just off last season. If he improved over the offseason he could do some things this year... but we will have to wait and see.

already123
August 27th, 2007, 04:37 AM
didnt this guy leave a FBS school...an FBS one at that? WHY....?!

Gannon at least got a team to the playoffs.

Besides...we all know that (for the more part) success in the NFL is based mostly on what kind of system you are placed in. Case and point, Bret Farve. Good luck PSU...lol

89Hen
August 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I was looking through the UD record book the other day and noticed that if Flacco were to duplicate last year's performance, he would break the career completions mark for a Hen QB (in only two seasons) and still be only fourth in pass attempts. xeyebrowx

umassfan, you can have Coen, I'll take Flacco. xnodx

GannonFan
August 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I don't even trust that umassfan has even seen Flacco play. Flacco clearly has the best shot of any current CAA QB to be a pro player - that doesn't mean he's the best college QB, that just means size, arm strength, vision, etc are probably better suited for the pro game than anyone else. Santos is still the best college QB of the bunch, Coen's pretty good, and Schaeffer works well in the Towson system as well. But those three guys all will have issues that will be tough to overcome should they try to make the NFL. Heck, Andy Hall, Justin Rascati, and Lang Campbell pretty much ended up having no shot at making the NFL either, yet all were pretty accomplished college QB's.

Oh, and I still think Gannon was the best college QB I ever saw play. Unbelievable.

Ivytalk
August 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Oh, and I still think Gannon was the best college QB I ever saw play. Unbelievable.

Why am I not surprised, FlaccoFan!:p xlolx

GannonFan
August 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Why am I not surprised, FlaccoFan!:p xlolx

I'm willing to trade my username in when someone comes along in a Hen's uniform and outdoes what Gannon did. Vergantino came close but VergantinoFan just doesn't flow well. Plus Gannon trumped him with the NFL career and the NFL MVP award as well. But I look forward to the day when I consider changing my username because another candidate has come along to best Gannon. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
August 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm willing to trade my username in when someone comes along in a Hen's uniform and outdoes what Gannon did. Vergantino came close but VergantinoFan just doesn't flow well. Plus Gannon trumped him with the NFL career and the NFL MVP award as well. But I look forward to the day when I consider changing my username because another candidate has come along to best Gannon. xthumbsupx

How about VergieVotary?

GannonFan
August 27th, 2007, 09:49 AM
How about VergieVotary?

Too many people would just think of Sarah Ferguson and that's not the image I'm going for. :p

GreatAppSt
August 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I told you hens last year when UD played UNH that Flacco was somthing else.xnodx He is a real talent FCS fans.xnodx