View Full Version : Longtime Lafayette HC Bill Russo passes

Pards Rule
October 3rd, 2021, 09:02 AM
What a career he had. Turned around a moribund program

Pards Rule
October 3rd, 2021, 09:24 AM
Resigned in November 1999 after being pist at then Lafayette AD Eve Atkinson who headed up an panel as to whether Lafayette would discontinue football, drop to D3 or somehow stay at its level. This was leaked to the Philly Inquirer in Jan 1999, ruining recruiting that year, and the very first time Lafayette football would make the Inquirers "above the fold" headlines or being anywhere on front page for that matter

ngineer
October 3rd, 2021, 10:44 PM
Condolences to the Lafayette family. Russo certainly had a major role in getting Lafayette football back on track. RIP, Bill.

kdinva
October 4th, 2021, 05:41 AM
Condolences to the Russo and Lafayette families.

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2021, 05:48 AM
RIP Bill. Played against his teams in the late 90s. They were always extremely physical to play against and gave 1000% on the field against us.

Pards Rule
October 4th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Condolences to the Lafayette family. Russo certainly had a major role in getting Lafayette football back on track. RIP, Bill.

Thanks Ngineer...he took over 3-7 team that hadnt scored a TD in 6 games. He went 9-2 his first season and of course upset Lehigh in that classic 10-3 final game

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2021, 07:59 AM
I posted this in another thread...

RIP! I'm old enough to remember a large portion of Russo's tenure at Lafayette. His connection to Wyoming Seminary is also well known here in Northeastern PA.

He had a very good run in the 1980's but ultimately ran up against institutional whack-a-doodles on College Hill in the 90s. To this day, I'm shocked he landed Erik Marsh over Lehigh...

Franks Tanks
October 4th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Bill was one of a kind. He loved everything about coaching and the game: the strategy, imposing your will and being around and with the guys. Players loved him, and he had a great personality and sense of humor.

At one time, he was a highly respected head coach and offensive mind. He had some great players at Lafayette, especially in the 80’s through early 90’s. Toward the end I think he tired of recruiting and dealing with some of the BS in place at Lafayette at the time (specifically Art Rothkopff). His former assistants speak of him in glowing terms.

Just a good dude…RIP coach.

Pards Rule
October 4th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Bill was one of a kind. He loved everything about coaching and the game: the strategy, imposing your will and being around and with the guys. Players loved him, and he had a great personality and sense of humor.

At one time, he was a highly respected head coach and offensive mind. He had some great players at Lafayette, especially in the 80’s through early 90’s. Toward the end I think he tired of recruiting and dealing with some of the BS in place at Lafayette at the time (specifically Art Rothkopff). His former assistants speak of him in glowing terms.

Just a good dude…RIP coach.

FT, perfect tribute. And thank you Lehigh 98. Although we didnt fare well in those late 90s games, the players gave it all for Bill. I still have a program from his first game vs Central Conn on Sept 12, 1981 that I got him to autograph at a LV alum luncheon days before the 1983 Lehigh game. I presented it after the speech and said "remember this coach?" and he had that crooked Russo grin and said "sure do!"...Sadly last time I saw Bill he was standing in endzone near locker rooms at Goodman that day in 1999 which he knew was his last game as he had announced his retirement only a couple days before. Game was over, players were chatting with each other etc. The team had done valiantly (I think they were 20 some point underdogs) and only lost 14-12 and were driving very late in game when the Pard frosh Harry Armstrong went to throw it out of bounds late in game and Lehigh guy (cant recall his name) reached across sideline for INT, basically ending game. I was hoping for a huge upset to send him off. He just stayed in that end zone looking out for a good 10 minutes it seemed and slowly walked into locker room. No one approached him during that time I noted.

ngineer
October 4th, 2021, 10:09 PM
Thanks Ngineer...he took over 3-7 team that hadnt scored a TD in 6 games. He went 9-2 his first season and of course upset Lehigh in that classic 10-3 final game

The first thing that came to mind was THAT %%$## game!! (;-). I was there, as always.