View Full Version : Thread: AGS Top 25 - How They Fared - Week 5, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
October 3rd, 2021, 01:19 AM
With the battle of two heavyweights on national television complete and numerous great games and exciting finishes this week, I am posting the "How They Fared" sheet for Week 5.

There were few surprises in the top 17, as teams went a combined 14-2, and the two losses were to the #5 (North Dakota State over #9 North Dakota) and #8 (Eastern Washington over #4 Montana) teams. In other words, there were going to be two losses within this group anyway. Teams ranked #18-24 went 4-3, with a the three losses being a bit surprising either due to opponent (The Citadel over #18 Virginia Military Institute; Elon over #20 Richmond) or due to the game result itself (#38 Harvard over #23 Holy Cross).

Teams #26-40 fared well, going 10-5. Two of the losses in this group were to the #2 (Sam Houston over #34 Stephen F. Austin) and #3 (James Madison over #29 New Hampshire) teams, and two of the losses were to each other (#36 Kennesaw State over 28 Jacksonville State and #31 Duquesne over #37 Merrimack).

A few of the games this week were nail-biters and also a bit surprising. Western Illinois managed to put yet another scare into a top 10 team this week, this time losing to #6 Southern Illinois 30-31 in OT. #2 Sam Houston (with a backup QB starting) had to score 15 unanswered (including one score within the final 3 min) in the 4th Qtr to defeat #34 Stephen F. Austin 21-20. Even #29 New Hampshire, after getting beat by Pitt 77-7 last week, gave #3 James Madison all they could handle, losing 21-23.

To see all of this and other game results, CLICK HERE TO SEE “HOW THEY FARED”. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VISbZIzkhDM6hwKes-5KPRegnTKkqJ2ktcQSHS4duAM/edit?usp=sharing)

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 01:34 AM
We have one of the worst offenses in FCS.

No one should be voting us in the top 10.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 02:19 AM

Element of truth on the first part but it is an overstatement. 2nd part, absolutely T10 still. Need to see someone else do what I assumed EWU could do. They test every great D they ever face. As far as team goes 2 1/2 out of 3 ain't bad. xlolx

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 02:21 AM
Element of truth on the first part but it is an overstatement. 2nd part, absolutely T10 still. Need to see someone else do what I assumed EWU could do. They test every great D they ever face. As far as team goes 2 1/2 out of 3 ain't bad. xlolx
Maybe I'm exaggerating because I'm mad, but I don't think we're better than a quarterfinal team if we don't get our offense figured out.

It's probably the worst I've seen in almost a decade.

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2021, 05:01 AM
Full Ride, No surprise at all that Harvard rocked Holy Cross but it’s a shame good teams can’t participate in playoffs

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2021, 05:37 AM

You don't have Flo Sports

Preferred Walk-On
October 3rd, 2021, 06:18 AM
Full Ride, No surprise at all that Harvard rocked Holy Cross but it’s a shame good teams can’t participate in playoffs

I would have to say “some surprise” at the domination of Holy Cross by Harvard, given the AGS consensus rankings and some of the chatter on the forum. Full disclosure, I had neither ranked, with Harvard being just a bit higher in my “outside of the top 25”, but I was expecting a closer game, especially at Holy Cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2021, 07:03 AM
I would have to say “some surprise” at the domination of Holy Cross by Harvard, given the AGS consensus rankings and some of the chatter on the forum. Full disclosure, I had neither ranked, with Harvard being just a bit higher in my “outside of the top 25”, but I was expecting a closer game, especially at Holy Cross.

I hear you! Just plugging the Ivies again. I almost picked Holy Cross but realized I needed to go with what I know.

Another good OOC game next week when Princeton heads to Monmouth

kdinva
October 3rd, 2021, 08:13 AM
thanks for the spread-sheet.

BEAR
October 3rd, 2021, 08:53 AM
Thanks for this! UCA is 2-3 on the year and the column with "actual d1 wins" says 3. Are you counting Lamar who we will play later? xlolx

Preferred Walk-On
October 3rd, 2021, 10:00 AM
Thanks for this! UCA is 2-3 on the year and the column with "actual d1 wins" says 3. Are you counting Lamar who we will play later? xlolx

Thanks, Bear. It is now fixed. I would like to say that I was counting a Lamar win, but the fact of the matter is that at 1 AM, all the boxes were looking a little fuzzy to me. ;)

Daytripper
October 3rd, 2021, 10:16 AM
It will be interesting to see how the voters view Sam Houston's close comeback win against SFA. Considering they were playing with a backup QB and kicker, I think they did what they had to do. I hope voters give some poll props to the Lumberjacks. They played well and outplayed the Bearkats for 3+ quarters.

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2021, 10:23 AM

You guys went blow for blow with the most potent offense in FCS football so quit yer bitching.

You guys have a coach that will make the corrections. Montana is massive up front and the run game will only get better. The defense played as advertised. EWU got some chunk plays and threw for a lot of yards, but it's EWU. It's what they do. Montanas defense stepped up when it mattered.

That game was absolutely a semifinal caliber football game. The only teams I've seen that I think are that good or better are the xDSUs.

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2021, 10:27 AM
It will be interesting to see how the voters view Sam Houston's close comeback win against SFA. Considering they were playing with a backup QB and kicker, I think they did what they had to do. I hope voters give some poll props to the Lumberjacks. They played well and outplayed the Bearkats for 3+ quarters.

I don't think yesterday is as much a reflection on SHSU as it is an illustration that SFA is underrated AF.

Im just going to say it. SFA is a top 10 team and none of youse can currently prove otherwise.

Katfan
October 3rd, 2021, 11:08 AM
I don't think yesterday is as much a reflection on SHSU as it is an illustration that SFA is underrated AF.

Im just going to say it. SFA is a top 10 team and none of youse can currently prove otherwise.
I’d like to believe that but I don’t know. Time will tell.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2021, 11:09 AM
And just a reminder to folks...two top ten games, meaning two top ten teams will lose, does not necessarily mean that they are significant. Unless of course they moved one of those teams hugely or some other criteria you may have, which, considering where they all were is not likely. I felt it needed to be said since it always seems people think it is a popularity contest rather than a truly significant win or loss. Granted it is in the eye of the beholder, but try and put your unbiased hat on.

Gil Dobie
October 3rd, 2021, 11:50 AM

Road games in conference play are always tough.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2021, 11:54 AM
Road games in conference play are always tough.

I think people underrate this factor sometimes.

taper
October 3rd, 2021, 01:41 PM
And just a reminder to folks...two top ten games, meaning two top ten teams will lose, does not necessarily mean that they are significant. Unless of course they moved one of those teams hugely or some other criteria you may have, which, considering where they all were is not likely. I felt it needed to be said since it always seems people think it is a popularity contest rather than a truly significant win or loss. Granted it is in the eye of the beholder, but try and put your unbiased hat on.
#8 barely beating #4 at home is pretty much what I'd expect from those rankings. EWU and Montana are both clearly good teams that belong in the top 10. That other top 10 matchup of the ND teams shows their rankings relative to each other are good, but both are ranked way, way too high overall. Very sloppy game all around.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 05:05 PM

SFA is a real good team and a much better D than I think most out here in the FCS world may be giving them credit for. They have been kalm's pick on the podcast all season as a team that will be a surprise to many. I think they absolutely deserve some recognition if voters watched that game. They are damn good.

Hauck's mantra is that good teams find a way to win when they are not playing their best and their back is against the wall. That is what SHSU did.

But that poor kid that got the face mask penalty at the end didn't hurt either.

gokat89
October 3rd, 2021, 08:25 PM

It was a rivalry game. Anything can and will happen in those games. Kats did what they are supposed to do in tough games and won. Its the same way they won during the playoffs in the spring... Plus, Kats have a 15 game winning streak... Kats will remain #1 until someone knocks them off.

#2 SDSU blew out Dixie St
#3 JMU won by 2 over New Hampshire
#4 Montana lost to #6 EWU
#5 NDSU won by 6 over North Dakota

dewey
October 3rd, 2021, 08:53 PM
It was a rivalry game. Anything can and will happen in those games. Kats did what they are supposed to do in tough games and won. Its the same way they won during the playoffs in the spring... Plus, Kats have a 15 game winning streak... Kats will remain #1 until someone knocks them off.

Though SHSU is the defending National Champions if SDSU gets through the MVFC undefeated they have got to be the #1 seed. They would have a much better resume and ranked wins.

(Pardon me while I go throw up for presenting a case for SDSU).

Dewey

TheKingpin28
October 3rd, 2021, 08:55 PM

Unless your SDSU, who has a better resume. SDSU will remain #1 until someone knocks them off.

TheKingpin28
October 3rd, 2021, 08:56 PM
Though SHSU is the defending National Champions if SDSU gets through the MVFC undefeated they have got to be the #1 seed. They would have a much better resume and ranked wins.

Dewey

How bad is it, that I didn't see this post, and thought the same thing. If two Bison fans are saying this, that should tell you everything you need to know.

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2021, 09:20 PM
You guys went blow for blow with the most potent offense in FCS football so quit yer bitching.

You guys have a coach that will make the corrections. Montana is massive up front and the run game will only get better. The defense played as advertised. EWU got some chunk plays and threw for a lot of yards, but it's EWU. It's what they do. Montanas defense stepped up when it mattered.

That game was absolutely a semifinal caliber football game. The only teams I've seen that I think are that good or better are the xDSUs.

..........IT'S WHAA.....AH STAYED UP TA 1 AM EASTERN.........AFTERAH LONG DAY IN NEWARK SUN.......WHIFF BEERS.......UH SLEEPY CROWD........UH VANILLA HENS OFFENSE....SO AS NOT TA SHOW JMU/'NOVA.......WHAT'S IN STORE..............AN' AH'M 74 YEARS OL'........AWK!

Katfan
October 3rd, 2021, 09:56 PM

Dewey
Just beat them so you don’t throw up!

Catbooster
October 3rd, 2021, 10:49 PM
This was a good week to struggle in your win - look at the top 10 in the AGS poll:
1 SDSU - easy win
2 Sam Houston - 1 point win against currently unranked team (SFA)
3 JMU - 2 point win against currently unranked team (UNH)
4 UM - 6 point loss to current #8 (EWU)
5 NDSU - 6 point win over current #9 (UND)
6 SIU - OT win over currently unranked team (WIU)
7 UC Davis - 7 point win over unranked (UI)
8 EWU - 6 pt win over #4 (UM)
9 UND - 6 pt loss to #5 (NDSU)
10 MSU - easy win
and it continues from there. With few exceptions, teams struggled to get their win or they played a weak team.

I look at Sam Houston and am tempted to move them down a little for struggling against an unranked team (who might deserve to be considered for a ranking) but who deserves to move up? Who had an impressive win over a quality opponent? Very few teams this week. Opinions will vary but I don't think Sam Houston will see much effect from only winning by 1 point over an unranked team. Other weeks, I think this would have affected them more.

SHSU90
October 4th, 2021, 09:29 AM
Being the 2 seed was good last year I will take it!

Dewey

Daytripper
October 4th, 2021, 09:34 AM

Dewey

I can't argue with this. It doesn't mean I like it, but I tend to agree.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2021, 09:37 AM
This was a good week to struggle in your win - look at the top 10 in the AGS poll:
1 SDSU - easy win
2 Sam Houston - 1 point win against currently unranked team (SFA)
3 JMU - 2 point win against currently unranked team (UNH)
4 UM - 6 point loss to current #8 (EWU)
5 NDSU - 6 point win over current #9 (UND)
6 SIU - OT win over currently unranked team (WIU)
7 UC Davis - 7 point win over unranked (UI)
8 EWU - 6 pt win over #4 (UM)
9 UND - 6 pt loss to #5 (NDSU)
10 MSU - easy win
and it continues from there. With few exceptions, teams struggled to get their win or they played a weak team.

I look at Sam Houston and am tempted to move them down a little for struggling against an unranked team (who might deserve to be considered for a ranking) but who deserves to move up? Who had an impressive win over a quality opponent? Very few teams this week. Opinions will vary but I don't think Sam Houston will see much effect from only winning by 1 point over an unranked team. Other weeks, I think this would have affected them more.

SFA has ORV votes. They lost to the national champs by one and lost to Texas Tech by six. Those are their only losses. They should have been ranked all year.

dewey
October 4th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Being the 2 seed was good last year I will take it!

Agreed. All you need is a top 2 seed to have home field all the way to Frisco.

Dewey

dewey
October 4th, 2021, 11:45 AM
SFA has ORV votes. They lost to the national champs by one and lost to Texas Tech by six. Those are their only losses. They should have been ranked all year.

In defense of SHSU the Kats were without Schmidt (spelling?) so to me the Bearkats remain #1. In the next few weeks the fall 2021 season resume takes more affect and the spring results fall farther back.

Dewey

dewey
October 4th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Just beat them so you don’t throw up!

SDSU is very good but I hope NDSU can go to Brookings and beat them.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
October 4th, 2021, 12:56 PM
SDSU is very good but I hope NDSU can go to Brookings and beat them.

Dewey

I like our defense, it will be able to keep us in the game. As far as offense, well.....our defense will be able to keep us in the game.

Hammerhead
October 4th, 2021, 02:04 PM
I don't vote because I don't follow many teams outside of the MVFC. It seems to me that if a #6 team loses to a #4 team by less than 10 points, you can't really move one team up or down very far unless higher-ranked teams lose. It seems like most national polls just think that because team X lost, they have to move down several spots even if they lost to the #1 team.

POD Knows
October 4th, 2021, 02:35 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHoly Cross sucks ass.

Serpentor
October 4th, 2021, 04:48 PM

They didn't have any impressive wins though, beating up on D2 teams and a perpetual doormat SWAC team isn't going to prove anything. I'd say their close losses say more to their power then their wins. They're ranked now, and in my opinion, deservedly so.