PDA

View Full Version : Game thread - YSU@UNI

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 01:22 PM
I’ll be watching this game on the tube and will post some comments. Local newspaper picks UNI 27-3. I’ll pick UNI as well, say 35-10.

The Guins do not play well in the gym. I’m expecting UNI to play straight up to cover both run and pass. UNI should get a lot to time to pass vs. a poor YSU DL and pick us apart. They will also run thru the D at will. Expect the YSU staff to gamble a lot as the underdog. They won’t win playing straight up against UNI.

Go Guins.

ysubigred
October 2nd, 2021, 03:05 PM
Game over nothing to see here..

[emoji2960]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
October 2nd, 2021, 03:47 PM
My take, UNI will likely cover the spread. Only thing that may save the final from being embarrassing is Farley not trying to run up the score.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 04:19 PM
UNI strikes with a 50 yd TD pass.

UNI 7-0

clenz
October 2nd, 2021, 04:27 PM
Wonder if Tim Johnson is getting pissy enough for another cheap shot todayhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211002/92ab6963bfaa432f8e092f6f9e58f899.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
October 2nd, 2021, 04:28 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211002/a71a44144f08caa28da55c9021a9cbb4.jpg

BeamMeUp
October 2nd, 2021, 04:46 PM
3rd and 10 and we run the ball inside UNI territory.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 05:04 PM
UNI with a 58 yd TD run. UNI 17-0

sad looking D

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 05:17 PM
Another big run play for a UNI TD.

UNI 24-0

Terrible YSU D

BeamMeUp
October 2nd, 2021, 05:22 PM
Where is that guy who said UNI would be looking ahead and this game would be close... Another disastrous performance.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 05:22 PM
And now a 69 TD pass called back on penalty.

D excellence,lol

clenz
October 2nd, 2021, 05:30 PM
TD called back made up for.

31-0 under a minute left in the half.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 05:32 PM
Another big pass play for a TD . UNI 31-0.

46 seconds until half

YSU D has given up HUGE scoring plays

UNI should send Strollo Xmas presents for all the gifts he has given them,lol

clenz
October 2nd, 2021, 05:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211002/045375494a4fa962103c9a836ad5d0d0.png

dewey
October 2nd, 2021, 05:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211002/045375494a4fa962103c9a836ad5d0d0.png

UNI taking the Penguins behind the woodshed for a good beating.

Dewey

Penguin Nation
October 2nd, 2021, 05:38 PM
Ooof

UNI scoring at will. Wasn’t our last HC a defensive genius?

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 05:48 PM
Our last HC was a millionaire who Strollo hired to look like a D genius. He failed at LSU as a D genius too.

Nothing like that hometown nepotism Ytown is famous for.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 06:06 PM
Another FG makes it UNI 34-0

clenz
October 2nd, 2021, 06:30 PM
UNI decided the offense didn’t need to try anymore in the second d half apparently

A pretty embarrassing third quarter.

clenz
October 2nd, 2021, 06:42 PM
2s getting a full quarter run against a conference team

I lose that bet preseason [emoji23]

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 07:01 PM
YSU TD pass. UNI 34-7.

Amazing. Our QB has no accuracy. Our OL and DL are very poor. Ditto the coaching staff. Strollo really outdid it this time.

Spectacular incompetency.

Penguin Nation
October 2nd, 2021, 07:12 PM
Congrats YSU on the garbage time TD🏆

ysubigred
October 2nd, 2021, 07:22 PM
Good win for UNI, flexed their muscles early and coasted.

Next up Da Bears!

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2021, 07:55 PM
Listening to the 5th Qtr Show. Shameless promotion of YSU for tickets, etc. To see what ?

Slowly, verrrrrrrrry slowly folks are catching on to my complaints for years - the area football here isn’t that great and recruiting here should stop. Much better players elsewhere.

Did Strollo hire another incompetent coach ( take your choice - football, MBB, WBB )? The answer is yes but everyone is trying to be polite. Hey, when you try to recruit a QB from scam school Bishop Sycamore who becomes a TE the first day you actually see him work out and you fall over yourself signing up local “stars”, the answer is easy. You don’t have to evaluate the game day coaching.

Going to be a long season as I predicted it would. Last chance to win 2 games comes with Indy St. The rest of the MVFC games will look like today or worse. Make sure y’all send Strollo a thank you card,lol

Penguin Nation
October 3rd, 2021, 06:31 AM
Paladin, how much of an impact does Bozo’s numerous recruiting violations and penalties have on DP?

I’m not saying DP is a Wolf-level HC, but it seems the empty cupboard, violations, and low moral left by Bozo are having a definite impact on this season.

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2021, 11:54 AM
There are 2 answers, PN. First it’s profound given the lowly lack of talent overall team wise. To review quickly, Wolf built a solid core, especially OL and DL. That foundation produced a dominating azz kicking to Pitt followed by Bozo ,using Wolf players, to get to the Natty. Even with average skill players, YSU was set for a return to glory if only Strollo had sprung more money for a decent DC. When Bozo took over the recruiting went south immediately, especially as he stocked up on worthless local talent and realizing his mistakes ,shifted to violations trying to catch up. DP gets the empty cupboard and has no extra schollies to catch up. Worse, an evaluation shows not one, count em, not ONE class shows any real strength at all meaning DP, if he is smart ,would do as Wolf did in gutting the Heacock weak recruits and run them off. That allowed Wolf a very quick rebuild, which he successfully did. DP has stated he will NOT do that. It means the rebuild, at best , will be a long time,, waiting for all 4 bad classes from Bozo to graduate. It leaves DP with no room for error each year of each new class.

Second, it’s time for a reality check. Answer one means little. Why ? Because DP shows he has no recruiting ability . None. Case in point- he made an horrendous mistake recruiting the QB from scam school Bishop Sycamore. The kid isn’t a QB and quickly was converted toTE ( which he isn’t either ). Wasted scholly. He recruited Crenshaw, another non QB who was told by D-I schools he would be converted to RB. Next, he has shown he is politically pressured to keep bringing in local “stars”, the same as all previous coaches, except for Wolf. That was an issue that contributed to his firing by Strollo, who protects his incompetent buffoon azz by appeasing the power brokers.

So, while DP is in a difficult position, he is doing nothing right to succeed . He will fail and do so spectacularly. In another 3-4 years ,everyone will ask why Strollo hired him ?

The real question is why wasn’t the buffoon Strollo not fired 20 years ago ? That is THE problem. The cheerleader board continues to show how stupid the average YSU fan is. New day but same old chit.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2021, 01:02 PM
Well reading all this I'll give Wolford (Y-town boy) kudos for his O-line coaching. His help along with all the other Y-town connected coaches has Kentucky 5-0. The KY O-line is ok but the KY defense is the backbone.

Obviously he's not recognized for his head coaching skills or I'd say he'd be one somewhere...

Like I've said many times before he apparently built a good recruiting base but couldn't coach the talent. 4 years of EOY meltdowns only to blame the defense is not accurate. I agree the D did poorly in the heart of conference play but the O was equally inept.

Moving on, YSU invested into a group of coaches I described as on the same football knowledge base as Cambodian Monks.. by the looks of things the player talent is better than the coaches. I know scarry..

Watching WIU yesterday the pre season predictions were wrong. They are not the worst team in the league.

Obvious nothing changed in the MVFC since spring, NDSU, SDSU, UNI and Mo. St. are steady front runners. UND, SIU and USD all are definitely looking playoffs. IL St. , Indy St, and YSU are on an island without a raft.

Onwards and upward, make the bean counter disappear.. YSU's new motto..

Focus on Da Bears..[emoji106]

Chalupa Batman
October 3rd, 2021, 02:23 PM
Watching WIU yesterday the pre season predictions were wrong. They are not the worst team in the league.

Obvious nothing changed in the MVFC since spring, NDSU, SDSU, UNI and Mo. St. are steady front runners. UND, SIU and USD all are definitely looking playoffs. IL St. , Indy St, and YSU are on an island without a raft.

Onwards and upward, make the bean counter disappear.. YSU's new motto..

Focus on Da Bears..[emoji106]

These two should be swapped here. I wouldn't consider the Bears one of the front runners, but the Salukis definitely are. SIU is the 2nd best team in the league IMO.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2021, 04:00 PM
These two should be swapped here. I wouldn't consider the Bears one of the front runners, but the Salukis definitely are. SIU is the 2nd best team in the league IMO.So you're saying WIU is really good? Mo State probably will get stronger as the year rolls on. Watching SIU yesterday I wasn't thinking a top 2 team. But as we all know Any Given Saturday..

Chalupa Batman
October 3rd, 2021, 04:11 PM
So you're saying WIU is really good? Mo State probably will get stronger as the year rolls on. Watching SIU yesterday I wasn't thinking a top 2 team. But as we all know Any Given Saturday..

Not really good, but they are better than people think. They took EWU down to the wire and hung with Ball State, willing to give the Salukis a bit of a pass for 1 game. Especially since a lot of other top 10 teams looked sluggish yesterday too, not just them.

Maybe MSU will get stronger as the year rolls on, but I don't know if they have the needed depth yet to be a front runner in the Valley.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2021, 04:25 PM
Not really good, but they are better than people think. They took EWU down to the wire and hung with Ball State, willing to give the Salukis a bit of a pass for 1 game. Especially since a lot of other top 10 teams looked sluggish yesterday too, not just them.

Maybe MSU will get stronger as the year rolls on, but I don't know if they have the needed depth yet to be a front runner in the Valley.Fair enough [emoji108]

clenz
October 3rd, 2021, 04:33 PM
YSU fans get butt hurt every time I say it but maybe it's time to admit you haven't actually be good in 25 years.

The year with Bo was literally the definition of getting every single bounce to go your way more than being good.

Again, since that title in 1997 there is 4 total playoff appearances and 3 of those 4 are 16 plus years old at this point (99, 00, 06) and 2 of them belong to Cheater Vest. You have 2 conference titles since joining the Valley 25 years ago - 05 and 06 and because 05 was a split title between 3 teams you still missed the playoffs

Since Jimmy left YSU is 68-85 in conference play. That is a 44% win percentage over the last 20 years and now 2 games.

In these 21 seasons you have just 6 seasons OVER .500 play - 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2013, 2016.

You have more (counting this year so far) seasons where your win percent is 29% or lower.
You have more seasons with 1, or 0 (so far) conference wins than you do seasons of 5 wins in conference play with 4 (10, 11, 20, 21)

There is zero correlation with who your coach is and winning percentage, especially since that last group of Cheater Vests recruits graduated. Once those years are gone the win percentage drops to 40% at 44-67 and you are left with just 2 seasons over .500 in that 15 year span.

What would be even more interesting, and maybe I'll break it down later, is to start to take out wins vs D2, NAIA, and non-scholarships that YSU has always loved to schedule in the OOC to boost the ranking enough that it would be hard to slide all the way outside of the top 25 by the end of the season because you go 3-0 OOC against those schools, with the name like YSU, and it gets hard for voters to be willing to drop you out even at 6-4 going into the final week of the season because slot voting is real.

I get the 80s and 90s have a lot of history in Youngstown, but it might be time to accept that Wolford wasn't a good coach and no one you've had since Jimmy has been. It might be time to admit the program just isn't actually good anymore.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2021, 04:56 PM
YSU fans get butt hurt every time I say it but maybe it's time to admit you haven't actually be good in 25 years.

The year with Bo was literally the definition of getting every single bounce to go your way more than being good.

Again, since that title in 1997 there is 4 total playoff appearances and 3 of those 4 are 16 plus years old at this point (99, 00, 06) and 2 of them belong to Cheater Vest. You have 2 conference titles since joining the Valley 25 years ago - 05 and 06 and because 05 was a split title between 3 teams you still missed the playoffs

Since Jimmy left YSU is 68-85 in conference play. That is a 44% win percentage over the last 20 years and now 2 games.

In these 21 seasons you have just 6 seasons OVER .500 play - 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2013, 2016.

You have more (counting this year so far) seasons where your win percent is 29% or lower.
You have more seasons with 1, or 0 (so far) conference wins than you do seasons of 5 wins in conference play with 4 (10, 11, 20, 21)

There is zero correlation with who your coach is and winning percentage, especially since that last group of Cheater Vests recruits graduated. Once those years are gone the win percentage drops to 40% at 44-67 and you are left with just 2 seasons over .500 in that 15 year span.

What would be even more interesting, and maybe I'll break it down later, is to start to take out wins vs D2, NAIA, and non-scholarships that YSU has always loved to schedule in the OOC to boost the ranking enough that it would be hard to slide all the way outside of the top 25 by the end of the season because you go 3-0 OOC against those schools, with the name like YSU, and it gets hard for voters to be willing to drop you out even at 6-4 going into the final week of the season because slot voting is real.

I get the 80s and 90s have a lot of history in Youngstown, but it might be time to accept that Wolford wasn't a good coach and no one you've had since Jimmy has been. It might be time to admit the program just isn't actually good anymore.Good work there clenz you're just cemented my point on Wolford. I admit it YSU is a shell of itself, but I'm not sure why you care? I don't think I want to kick UNIs carcus if the roles were reversed..

Baring the 2016 season there has been no real excitement or anything to look forward to maybe it's better to be lucky than good lol... 2017 I was thinking the glory days may have returned.. didn’t take long to go down the ****ter..

The AD maybe our Achilles heal. During the YSU glory years JT was dual rolled as HC and AD..

But you've got to admit YSU has been closer to ANOTHER RING in the last 25 years than UNI has been to their 1st one.. 25 years since you all had your one and only shot..

SIU, YSU and NDSU fans are the only ones aloud to talk **** about NC's in the MVFC.. xtwocentsx

Penguin Nation
October 4th, 2021, 06:14 PM
Clenz reminded me of (yet) another metric where Wolf>>>>>>Heacock.....beating UNI.

clenz
October 4th, 2021, 06:19 PM
Clenz reminded me of (yet) another metric where Wolf>>>>>>Heacock.....beating UNI.
By that metric Pelini is the best coach you've had.

UNI leads the series 25-8 now. Bo has 2 of the 3 wins against UNI since cheatervest left your campus.

ysubigred
October 4th, 2021, 06:28 PM
By that metric Pelini is the best coach you've had.

UNI leads the series 25-8 now. Bo has 2 of the 3 wins against UNI since cheatervest left your campus.Lol [emoji106] For some reason UNI and Delaware could beat YSU if Saban was YSUs coach [emoji848] JH the other W against UNI..

Penguin Nation
October 4th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Any credit for wins in 2016 should be split with the Wolf.

Quick question: Was Heacock on the UNI payroll?

ysubigred
October 4th, 2021, 07:52 PM
I give wolf credit for Bozos 2016 run.. good thing bozo showed up.. don't think my heart could of taken another EOY meldown/4 game slide to sit at home..

I've said it before "IF" Wolford was HC material he'd be one.. he had Bozos personality without HC attributes..

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2021, 05:03 AM
Paladin, was Tressel recruiting mainly non-local recruits when he was winning in the 90’s. Has the local talent got worse since then from people leaving the area or are you saying it was never there to begin with?

There are 2 answers, PN. First it’s profound given the lowly lack of talent overall team wise. To review quickly, Wolf built a solid core, especially OL and DL. That foundation produced a dominating azz kicking to Pitt followed by Bozo ,using Wolf players, to get to the Natty. Even with average skill players, YSU was set for a return to glory if only Strollo had sprung more money for a decent DC. When Bozo took over the recruiting went south immediately, especially as he stocked up on worthless local talent and realizing his mistakes ,shifted to violations trying to catch up. DP gets the empty cupboard and has no extra schollies to catch up. Worse, an evaluation shows not one, count em, not ONE class shows any real strength at all meaning DP, if he is smart ,would do as Wolf did in gutting the Heacock weak recruits and run them off. That allowed Wolf a very quick rebuild, which he successfully did. DP has stated he will NOT do that. It means the rebuild, at best , will be a long time,, waiting for all 4 bad classes from Bozo to graduate. It leaves DP with no room for error each year of each new class.

Second, it’s time for a reality check. Answer one means little. Why ? Because DP shows he has no recruiting ability . None. Case in point- he made an horrendous mistake recruiting the QB from scam school Bishop Sycamore. The kid isn’t a QB and quickly was converted toTE ( which he isn’t either ). Wasted scholly. He recruited Crenshaw, another non QB who was told by D-I schools he would be converted to RB. Next, he has shown he is politically pressured to keep bringing in local “stars”, the same as all previous coaches, except for Wolf. That was an issue that contributed to his firing by Strollo, who protects his incompetent buffoon azz by appeasing the power brokers.

So, while DP is in a difficult position, he is doing nothing right to succeed . He will fail and do so spectacularly. In another 3-4 years ,everyone will ask why Strollo hired him ?

The real question is why wasn’t the buffoon Strollo not fired 20 years ago ? That is THE problem. The cheerleader board continues to show how stupid the average YSU fan is. New day but same old chit.

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2021, 07:34 AM
Paladin, was Tressel recruiting mainly non-local recruits when he was winning in the 90’s. Has the local talent got worse since then from people leaving the area or are you saying it was never there to begin with?

No, the area was rich in talent. Ohio St., Mich, Notre Dame, etc all came here because of the abundance of talent. That started dropping off about 20 years ago but still had a player or two of that caliber annually.For the last 10 year# it fell of a cliff with the major loss of the population base as the area bled jobs.

Im getting messages now that confirm my outlook. Strollo, the AD, is said to forbid the coach from gutting the worthless local players from the team. He also insists that local players continue to be recruited. Much of this pressure come from parochial parents whose schools play the better h.s. Football here, but are still only D-III and II in talent. I’m also correct that it was a major reason why Wolf was fired as he ran off local recruits and stopped recruiting locally. There was an instant gut reaction to it. The politics here are smothering.

Tressel got around this picking a few local players but sold a concept of recruiting the “ State of Youngstown”, where he expanded the valley area out an hour or two, taking in talent rich Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Pittsburgh. However those areas have dropped off too with population base. Tressel also recruited Florida very well. We don’t do that as well now and I’m not sure if Strollo has cut back on recruiting expenses for that.

Strollo holds on to his job appeasing the locals, especially the big money guys by selling out to local demands. No one of stature cares about winning just making sure local kids get schollies for an education that they otherwise don’t get. Half a schollie for a local kid who lives at home with Mom and Dad is still an effective full schollie for an education. If you are offered a half schollie at a D-II, which is typical , you can’t afford to go away from home.

There is a story associated with the hire of the current coach. We have a local millionaire/billionaire who wanted the coach, a long time friend from the area. He purportedly gave a financial windfall to YSU if his friend was hired. It is also known that the coach hired cheap and that we pay the lowest coach salaries in the MVFC.

There will not be a rebuild. YSU has screwed itself with AD who will cover his azz by doing what the local power brokers want. The power brokers don’t care about winning, just entertaining their clients on game day in the luxurious loges on top of the stadium. Business as usual.

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2021, 07:58 AM
I’ll also add we screwed over our money sports by wasting money on the minor sports adding bowling, lacrosse, bringing back swimming and diving , etc. The reasons are these - it creates more schollies for local kids. Pull up a roster of any and all sports and see where the players are from. And , no, local teams are not winning state championships in local h.s. Sports.

Its all about feeding your own. No other principles involved. Just that.

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2021, 08:28 AM
And for good measure, I rechecked the two deep announced by YSU for the UNI game. We have on the team 37 players from the area. Three start and 2 are the second team listed. That’s it. Out of 37 players. For 22 starting positions and 22 backups.

See anything odd here ?

ysubigred
October 5th, 2021, 08:51 AM
And for good measure, I rechecked the two deep announced by YSU for the UNI game. We have on the team 37 players from the area. Three start and 2 are the second team listed. That’s it. Out of 37 players. For 22 starting positions and 22 backups.

See anything odd here ?Don't forget U of KY is also killing it for the local Y-town talent..

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2021, 08:52 AM

See anything odd here ?

Your theory certainly makes a lot of sense to me. Playing HS there in the early 90's I remember the area being pretty talent rich. Have seen a significant decline in the last 15 years or so of the HS quality in the area. Seems to coincide with the economic decline there. The good blue collar jobs have gone and many have simply left. DP certainly has deep roots in the area.

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2021, 09:23 AM
I’m a former h.s. head football coach. Know the area well. At one time this was THE spot in Ohio to recruit in. We still pump out a lot of players but at D-II and III levels talent wise. But gone are the days of Ohio St or Mich signing our best players here. And gone are FCS worthy players. Yet we sign them up.

Anyone thinking YSU returns to a higher level isn’t playing with a full deck.

Especially Red. Stoops has signed only a few local players at Kentucky. Players who didn’t have major offers but did have MAC offers,lol. That’s another problem as the MAC, while an FCS talent level league ,offers full rides and a chance to get away from the Youngstown area.

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2021, 09:41 AM
BTW, Red, there is only one, count em, ONE guy from Youngstown on the Wildcat roster. He is a Cardinal Mooney player who transferred in from Mich. St because he wasn’t playing at all there. There was a former Warren Harding player there a few years ago, but that’s it. Stoops recruits Cincinnati and Columbus.

He also has the Wolf, who is a terrific line coach as well as Vince Marrow a former all star player from Youngstown. But , no, he isn’t falling all over himself to recruit the Valley. He isn’t stupid and he is a former local guy.

ysubigred
October 5th, 2021, 01:33 PM
BTW, Red, there is only one, count em, ONE guy from Youngstown on the Wildcat roster. He is a Cardinal Mooney player who transferred in from Mich. St because he wasn’t playing at all there. There was a former Warren Harding player there a few years ago, but that’s it. Stoops recruits Cincinnati and Columbus.

He also has the Wolf, who is a terrific line coach as well as Vince Marrow a former all star player from Youngstown. But , no, he isn’t falling all over himself to recruit the Valley. He isn’t stupid and he is a former local guy.Was at the UK FL game. They were talking about their TB being from Youngstown? I didn't check into it but I assumed Stoops was getting what he could from the Valley.. I guess not. Seems heavy with KY kids..

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2021, 05:16 PM
And, just like clockwork, the YSU QB parade begins. Mark Waid , from Girard ,former starting QB in the Spring entered the Transfer Portal. He had been beaten by another non QB in Crenshaw, a Frosh. Waid is listed as an H back, the only one listed on the roster and he also was their Wildcat QB.

In leaving , it will be interesting to see where he goes - FCS or D-II. He really isn’t much of a QB in that he has limited passing ability while having some running ability . A classic case of a local athlete who should not have been recruited but because he was a big local star, local politics demanded he be recruited. He had previously committed to his only offer, Fordham , only to be offered by YSU.

BeamMeUp
October 5th, 2021, 08:26 PM
Coach Phillips is hitting a pivotal point in his brief tenure at YSU. It is one thing to lose to Northern Iowa, something we are all too familiar with at YSU. It is another thing when the program is regressing, at an alarming rate on defense in particular, in your second season at the helm. It was my hope that we would grow from the brief spring season and make advancements with the hopes of (Traficant can dream) winning 5 games this season. Unfortunately the complete opposite is facing this program right now.

It doesn’t get any easier this week as a program that was once in the abyss has quickly turned the corner under Coach Petrino. Coach drastically needs something positive to happen or he may lose this team quickly. Lord knows the butts on seats situation will not be pretty the duration of this season either.