PDA

View Full Version : Southland TV Launches Aug. 30

GeauxLions94
August 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM
12-game football schedule starting with Sam Houston State-Angelo State. Up to 80 events set in the inaugural season.

Southland TV (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1177612)

Retro
August 24th, 2007, 10:12 PM
That's great, but i wish they wouldn't use the term TV. It's not really TV in the traditional form. It's video webcast...

I don't know why the SLC can't simply put together a TV production crew and network and then for football do 1 game a week and shop it around to region via local stations and regional cable outlets or networks.. We have conference sponsors and we should be able convince some of them to support it if not others...

The problem with webcast is just that. It's on the web, and most people still like to sit in front of their TV to watch a good clear picture and sound..

It appears more and more that FOXSW is not planning on doing any SLC games this year unless last minute subs and probably only on thursday.. xrolleyesx

Lionsrking
August 25th, 2007, 12:28 AM
That's great, but i wish they wouldn't use the term TV. It's not really TV in the traditional form. It's video webcast...

I don't know why the SLC can't simply put together a TV production crew and network and then for football do 1 game a week and shop it around to region via local stations and regional cable outlets or networks.. We have conference sponsors and we should be able convince some of them to support it if not others...

The problem with webcast is just that. It's on the web, and most people still like to sit in front of their TV to watch a good clear picture and sound..

It appears more and more that FOXSW is not planning on doing any SLC games this year unless last minute subs and probably only on thursday.. xrolleyesx

It costs money to get games on the cable networks and local broadcast stations. In house video streaming can make money, or at least break even. Not to mention the capability of archiving video for viewing on demand. I would like to have games on regular TV as well, but the time has come for live video via the home computer. Great thing IMO.

patssle
August 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM
FSN is not doing SLC games this year, they are doing HS games instead.

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Like what they are doing...

I'm going to check out that SHSU-Angelo State game for sure and we'll see, I may ante up and get the whole thing as there's quite a few things I'd love to see...

Basketball media day? That's a new one...nice!

Retro
August 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM
It costs money to get games on the cable networks and local broadcast stations. In house video streaming can make money, or at least break even. Not to mention the capability of archiving video for viewing on demand. I would like to have games on regular TV as well, but the time has come for live video via the home computer. Great thing IMO.

That's where sponsors come in, like i said above... There's nothing wrong with having video webcasts as is does serve the hardcore fan who can't make the games good, provided they are willing to pay...

The problem is webcasts will never take the place of Traditional tv games for most fans. If someone is willing to pay $50 a year for the SLC web package, the same fan would pay that much for a TV package of the same content.. The question is can you get enough people to buy into it to make it worthwhile and someone willing to lose money the first year to get it all started as far as a TV package?

I'll be interested in seeing how the big ten network plays out.. I know the SLC is not the big ten, at least in football, but we certainly have them beat in some sports like baseball and softball... A conference TV network would work well on Directv as PPV package or on regional cable companies in the texas, arkansas and Louisiana cities at least.

McTailGator
August 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Because that would take effort. And we both know that the SLC isn't about to put forth the effort.

McTailGator
August 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I do not think that is a done deal yet.

Also, i think the SLC is also looking elswhere.

Lionsrking
August 25th, 2007, 01:35 PM
That's where sponsors come in, like i said above... There's nothing wrong with having video webcasts as is does serve the hardcore fan who can't make the games good, provided they are willing to pay...

The problem is webcasts will never take the place of Traditional tv games for most fans. If someone is willing to pay $50 a year for the SLC web package, the same fan would pay that much for a TV package of the same content.. The question is can you get enough people to buy into it to make it worthwhile and someone willing to lose money the first year to get it all started as far as a TV package?

I'll be interested in seeing how the big ten network plays out.. I know the SLC is not the big ten, at least in football, but we certainly have them beat in some sports like baseball and softball... A conference TV network would work well on Directv as PPV package or on regional cable companies in the texas, arkansas and Louisiana cities at least.

There's no question that traditional TV is the desired method of delivering games to the public, but cable networks and local stations aren't beating down the door to air Southland Conference football, and there obviously aren't enough "sponsors" willing to step forward and foot the bill for the type of package you're talking about. It's called the free market and we're on the short end of the stick unfortunately.

Dallas Demon
August 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Good idea, but I won't be a paying customer this year as Northwestern St. only has one game on the schedule and it is a home game that I will be attending.

Lionsrking
August 25th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Good idea, but I won't be a paying customer this year as Northwestern St. only has one game on the schedule and it is a home game that I will be attending.

When I first read the announcement, my gut reaction was to immediately sign up for the entire package, but I may forego the purchase as well if they don't do a better job of balancing the number of times each school is on. Southeastern, Northwestern and Nicholls are scheduled for only one game a piece while McNeese gets four. They won't get my money until an adjustment is made.

NSUDemon98
August 26th, 2007, 12:14 AM

ditto...

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM
When I first read the announcement, my gut reaction was to immediately sign up for the entire package, but I may forego the purchase as well if they don't do a better job of balancing the number of times each school is on. Southeastern, Northwestern and Nicholls are scheduled for only one game a piece while McNeese gets four. They won't get my money until an adjustment is made.

Does it have something to do with the video capabilities of the host schools?

SELA and Nicholls do not have video boards, so they don't have built in crews to take care of the video feed providing. Seems each team hosting the games outside of SELA (when they play SHSU) have the video boards, so this makes the SLC's job easier.

Pat said that they were just going to use the SHSU videoboard feed for the Angelo State game.

EKU05
August 26th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I wonder why they are limiting it. The OVC started a similar program last year and televised every conference football game, and well as every conference game for both mens and women's basketball. In addition, and non-conference home games were picked up as well as slect road games. After you get each school set up I really don't think it's that expensive.

patssle
August 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM
All games should be available on the team's respective websites. Once SHSU gets their new website, all our games will be streamed on there. Can't speak for the rest of the conference, but they should be streaming on their websites.

Lionsrking
August 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Does it have something to do with the video capabilities of the host schools?

SELA and Nicholls do not have video boards, so they don't have built in crews to take care of the video feed providing. Seems each team hosting the games outside of SELA (when they play SHSU) have the video boards, so this makes the SLC's job easier.

Pat said that they were just going to use the SHSU videoboard feed for the Angelo State game.

That may have something to do with it, but if we can have one home game included, we can have two. Additionally, we play three SLC road games, including Texas State (which does have a video board) and that game wasn't selected. Our other two road games are on Cox TV so I can understand not selecting those, but the bottom line is, there's a major imbalance and I won't contribute financially until there is a more equal distribution of games.

McTailGator
August 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I wonder why they are limiting it. The OVC started a similar program last year and televised every conference football game, and well as every conference game for both mens and women's basketball. In addition, and non-conference home games were picked up as well as slect road games. After you get each school set up I really don't think it's that expensive.

They threw this together very quick. Right now it is limited to only the schools that already own the correct equipment. All McNeese's games will be Webcast via tape delay plus the 4 live events.

My guess is that next year will see all SLC games being televised via the WWW.

Bearkatpresident
August 26th, 2007, 05:11 PM

I'm insulted, to say the least

Dallas Demon
August 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=McTailGator;625411]They threw this together very quick. Right now it is limited to only the schools that already own the correct equipment. QUOTE]

Like LionsrKing indicated, if one game can be selected then why not 2 or 3 or 4? Northwestern has one home game being streamed, so we must have the correct equipment. Put together quickly or not, there is an imbalance that is not right (for whatever reason I don't know). I will not contribute money this year because of this.

McTailGator
August 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=McTailGator;625411]They threw this together very quick. Right now it is limited to only the schools that already own the correct equipment. QUOTE]

Like LionsrKing indicated, if one game can be selected then why not 2 or 3 or 4? Northwestern has one home game being streamed, so we must have the correct equipment. Put together quickly or not, there is an imbalance that is not right (for whatever reason I don't know). I will not contribute money this year because of this.

I don't know, but I'll be willing to bet that next year all the SLC schools will have all their games live,

McNeese has 4 probably because we already planned to have a web-cast, and area cable TV replay.

Don't know where other schools stood. Perhaps the SLC is providing the equipment to NSU and others?

But <$6.00 a game is too cheap, IMO

patssle
August 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Found out how it works. Southland is bringing their own equipment and just using our camera feeds. None of our player profiles or graphics will be seen, and you won't hear any audio from our feature videos online.

It is Southlands's own production, they'll run their own spots and stuff.

I'm dissapointed...no chance to show the SLC how good our video crew is ;)

Bear Fan 101
August 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM
hey pattsle,

does that mean that the Southland has their own announcing crew as well, or will they just take the audio feed from who ever the home radio announcers are for that given week, or will it just be silent without any audio?

patssle
August 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
they arn't sure yet. it depends what feed they can and can't get.

They will use either the PA feed, KSAM (our official football announcers), or KHSU (student station announcers). Just depends what they can get a feed from.

BayouColonel
August 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm insulted, to say the least

I feel the same way. The only reason I watch FSN is because they sometimes have SLC Football on TV. Every once in a while I watch the Astros but I wouldn't care if I couldn't do that.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
They will use either the PA feed, KSAM (our official football announcers), or KHSU (student station announcers). Just depends what they can get a feed from.

Is Marcus Evans still the PA? If he is, will there be a "post-game show"?

McNeese_beat
August 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I feel the same way. The only reason I watch FSN is because they sometimes have SLC Football on TV. Every once in a while I watch the Astros but I wouldn't care if I couldn't do that.

The SLC just announced that Texas State at Central Arkansas will be shown on Fox Thursday, Oct. 11 (game moved from Oct. 13). They plan to announce other games later. I guess it may come down to who's willing to move their game to Thursday...

patssle
August 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Is Marcus Evans still the PA? If he is, will there be a "post-game show"?

Yeah its Marcus. No post game show that I know of...the Southland is doing their own production with 1 computer...using our camera feeds and our audio.

Its not going to be the best way to produce a streaming game...we shoot for the videoboard, not for a webcast. 2 different ways of shooting.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2007, 11:40 AM
From the Log Cabin Democrat (Conway, AR)...

Most of the FOX Sports Thursday package for the Southland Conference has collapsed because of alternative programming with potentially better ratings over a wider audience. FOX reportedly finally offered Southland officials a package of five Saturday playing dates and one Thursday date. UCA vs. Texas State is apparently the only Thursday date on the board. Four of the Saturday dates are problematic because they are homecoming games, which mean game times cannot realistically be changed at this late date. And FOX also wants the right to pre-empt any of the Saturday games for a Big 12 contest.

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/082807/spo_0828070030.shtml

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah its Marcus. No post game show that I know of...the Southland is doing their own production with 1 computer...using our camera feeds and our audio.

That's not what I meant by "post-game show". I was referring to Marcus and joking about how he'll go on and on...creating his own spectacle in the process...xnodx