PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Staduims

GAD
September 28th, 2021, 02:40 PM
A look at the stadiums of the Patriot League

https://youtu.be/LXgKmypillM

crusader11
September 28th, 2021, 03:17 PM
How perfectly bizarre and great at the same time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2021, 03:53 PM
If only Lehigh can get a team to match the quality of their stadium....xsmhx

DFW HOYA
September 28th, 2021, 05:12 PM
If this had been done a few years ago, he would have used Google Earth to swoop down on the field and asked , "I'm not sure what this is."

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/georgetown-hoyas-multi-sport-facility/georgetown2.jpg

Son of Eli
September 28th, 2021, 05:55 PM
I’ve been to Holy Cross, Lehigh and Fordham and I rank them in that order. Holy Cross has an excellent grass field and the seats are very close to the action. Lehigh has the best scenery but the seats are too far from the field. I don’t care much for Fordham’s stadium as it offers no aesthetics and no visitor stands. Even though I’ve never been to the others they all look nice, particularly Bucknell’s.

DFW HOYA
September 28th, 2021, 06:17 PM
My choices:

1. Fitton Field: Looks the most like a traditional stadium but it is very spartan, especially the visitors section.

2. Fisher Field: A narrow winner over Goodman due to location.

3. Goodman Stadium: The above point about seating is accurate--this isn't the Yale Bowl but the seating seems to have been designed like it. Also, very little signage or recognition of conference championships and the D-II title for a program that's earned the right to display it.

4. Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium: This may be the best design of the seven, but preternaturally empty. Would be fun with 14,000 in the place.

5. Andy Kerr Stadium: The Mini-Crescent isn't what it used to be. A teardown and redesign would not be out of the question.

6. Jack Coffey Field: This could be so much better if it wasn't so, well, artificial--the erector set stands, the turf, the aluminum seats, the view of a parking lot beyond second base. If you put Richmond's stadium on Rose Hill it would be remarkable. I know they don't want to move baseball but it's the only way this gets any better.

Not Ranked: Cooper Field: I haven't been back to Georgetown since it opened--it's about 20% of what was originally promised to donors, but that's still better than what they had, which was nothing. As far as Georgetown was thinking, this is less a stadium than much needed locker rooms with seats on top. Pre-2021, the gameday locker room was a dorm lounge.

JacksFan40
September 28th, 2021, 06:30 PM
What in the hell is that abomination that Fordham calls a football stadium?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2021, 06:40 PM

It's really not that bad given the circumstances; one sided and it's in the middle of the Bronx. The setting is right on campus and the view offers a very unique experience. Instead of looking out and seeing stands across from you, there's high rises, Botanical Gardens and endless traffic.

https://fordhamobserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/MG_1185-600x400.jpg

https://www.jlgordon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/01-1-2.jpg

crusader11
September 28th, 2021, 06:42 PM
Fordham doesn’t have a stadium. It’s a field with a set of big bleachers. It’s a real shame given their history and potential to have a legitimately good FCS program.

Wreaks of small time.

DFW HOYA
September 28th, 2021, 06:44 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/3426506504https://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/3426506504https://live.staticflickr.com/3557/3426506504_b683dd20b0_b.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Fordham doesn’t have a stadium. It’s a field with a set of big bleachers. It’s a real shame given their history and potential to have a legitimately good FCS program.

Wreaks of small time.

It's twice the size of Rose Hill Gym. It's serviceable imo given the location.

Their basketball facility is a much, MUCH bigger issue.

Son of Eli
September 28th, 2021, 07:15 PM
My choices:

1. Fitton Field: Looks the most like a traditional stadium but it is very spartan, especially the visitors section.

3. Goodman Stadium: The above point about seating is accurate--this isn't the Yale Bowl but the seating seems to have been designed like it. Also, very little signage or recognition of conference championships and the D-II title for a program that's earned the right to display it.

4. Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium: This may be the best design of the seven, but preternaturally empty. Would be fun with 14,000 in the place.

5. Andy Kerr Stadium: The Mini-Crescent isn't what it used to be. A teardown and redesign would not be out of the question.

6. Jack Coffey Field: This could be so much better if it wasn't so, well, artificial--the erector set stands, the turf, the aluminum seats, the view of a parking lot beyond second base. If you put Richmond's stadium on Rose Hill it would be remarkable. I know they don't want to move baseball but it's the only way this gets any better.

Not Ranked: Cooper Field: I haven't been back to Georgetown since it opened--it's about 20% of what was originally promised to donors, but that's still better than what they had, which was nothing. As far as Georgetown was thinking, this is less a stadium than much needed locker rooms with seats on top. Pre-2021, the gameday locker room was a dorm lounge.

The Ivy League is visiting in 3 of your top 4 this week. Hope their fans travel well to experience these beautiful stadiums. The Patriot League’s top notch venues are another characteristic shared with Ivy League football which makes them excellent scheduling partners. The others of course are the emphasis of academics over sports and geographic proximity.

Bill
September 28th, 2021, 07:54 PM
It's a nice little video...not so accurate though. I was definitely at the first game played at Goodman Stadium...and my parents were not even alive in 1924, when the video says it was built. They must have mixed it up with old Taylor?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2021, 07:56 PM
It's a nice little video...not so accurate though. I was definitely at the first game played at Goodman Stadium...and my parents were not even alive in 1924, when the video says it was built. They must have mixed it up with old Taylor?

Taylor was built in 1914 iirc while Goodman opened in 1988 but wasn't completed until 1989 iirc. I'm old enough to remember watching games at both stadiums. And thankfully I'm not THAT old....yet....

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2021, 09:00 PM
It's really not that bad given the circumstances; one sided and it's in the middle of the Bronx. The setting is right on campus and the view offers a very unique experience.

Agreed. Fordham is an oasis in the bustle of the Bronx. Coffey might not have the infrastructure of some other PL stadia but it's a great place to visit and see a game.

CHIP72
September 29th, 2021, 09:53 AM
The Ivy League is visiting in 3 of your top 4 this week. Hope their fans travel well to experience these beautiful stadiums. The Patriot League’s top notch venues are another characteristic shared with Ivy League football which makes them excellent scheduling partners. The others of course are the emphasis of academics over sports and geographic proximity.

I'm unsure the Patriot League has stadiums that are that much nicer than much of the rest of DI-AA/FCS. Having attended games at Lehigh, Lafayette, and Georgetown, I can tell you Goodman Stadium (Lehigh) and Fisher Stadium (Lafayette) stack up with probably most of the nicest FCS stadiums in the country. (Actually, I'm not sure which one I think is nicer - obviously Lafayette has a big edge by having its seats close to the field and also has a very good setting, but Lehigh has similar-sized stands on both sides, which IMO is a much nicer look, and an even better setting than at Lafayette 10-15 miles to the NE.) Georgetown obviously isn't very good, but at least it now has permanent stands that are somewhat larger than what they had before that are also roughly centered on the 50 yard line.

Having said the above, some other, non-Patriot/non-Ivy stadiums I've been to, like Towson's Johnny Unitas Stadium, which has a very nice, built into a hill design and a solid setting (not as good as Lehigh but almost as good as Lafayette), and to a lesser degree Delaware's Delaware Stadium (pretty big with good sightlines, only significant negatives are access to the seats is from the bottom of the section and the pee wall) are also good facilities. Also, I've never attended a game at James Madison's Bridgeforth Stadium, but I've seen it from close range, and even though it has very uneven home/visitors side seating like Lafayette, it looks like a very good stadium for the FCS level.

HensRock
September 29th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Delaware Stadium (pretty big with good sightlines, only significant negatives are access to the seats is from the bottom of the section and the pee wall)

First time I've ever seen the Pee Wall mentioned as a negative. That thing is a model of efficiency. In fact during recent renovations there was quite a bit of concern for it and outcry that the wall should be preserved.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 29th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Really impressed with the Patriot stadiums, the upgrade to Georgetown's is awesome. Have never been to one but driven by the I-290 stadium a million timesxnodx

Evolution Prime
September 29th, 2021, 11:30 AM
I see Fordham was nice enough to provide the grade of their stadium right at midfield for the rest of us to see.

MR. CHICKEN
September 29th, 2021, 11:57 AM
I'm unsure the Patriot League has stadiums that are that much nicer than much of the rest of DI-AA/FCS. Having attended games at Lehigh, Lafayette, and Georgetown, I can tell you Goodman Stadium (Lehigh) and Fisher Stadium (Lafayette) stack up with probably most of the nicest FCS stadiums in the country. (Actually, I'm not sure which one I think is nicer - obviously Lafayette has a big edge by having its seats close to the field and also has a very good setting, but Lehigh has similar-sized stands on both sides, which IMO is a much nicer look, and an even better setting than at Lafayette 10-15 miles to the NE.) Georgetown obviously isn't very good, but at least it now has permanent stands that are somewhat larger than what they had before that are also roughly centered on the 50 yard line.

Having said the above, some other, non-Patriot/non-Ivy stadiums I've been to, like Towson's Johnny Unitas Stadium, which has a very nice, built into a hill design and a solid setting (not as good as Lehigh but almost as good as Lafayette), and to a lesser degree Delaware's Delaware Stadium (pretty big with good sightlines, only significant negatives are access to the seats is from the bottom of the section and the pee wall) are also good facilities. Also, I've never attended a game at James Madison's Bridgeforth Stadium, but I've seen it from close range, and even though it has very uneven home/visitors side seating like Lafayette, it looks like a very good stadium for the FCS level.

32146......DON'T FO'GET...DUH TRACK...@ TOWSON....AN' HOW FAR AWAY.....FROM DUH ACTION YOU ARE.....xsighx...BRAWK!

......HOW IS ACCESS TA SEATS UH NEGATIVE...??...JES' CLIMB DUH STEPS TA YOUR ROW...........PEE WALL CAN SERVE MANY MANY MANY......UH BEER DRINKER AT UH TIME.......WOOD YA'S RATHER STAND 20 DEEP IN FRONT UH TWO/FOUR URINALS...??..........BRAWK!

Libertine
September 29th, 2021, 12:33 PM
I've been to Lehigh's stadium twice and the setting is gorgeous but, from a practical standpoint, it's not that great. Parking is a problem and the pressbox is woefully cramped and inadequate for its purpose. Additionally, everything outside the immediate playing surface turns into a swamp in the rain which exacerbates the first two problems and becomes a major hindrance to anyone trying to move between the stands, the field and the locker rooms (press, coaches, players, equipment personnel, etc.,).

By contrast, Lafayette's facility is extremely attractive (albeit in a different and more modern way) as well as efficient. I much preferred Fisher over Goodman in that sense.

Sader87
September 29th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Biased obviously but Fitton is really one of the best stadia to actually watch a game due to its sightlines/stands being literally on top of the field.

It is very "spartan" in general with no chairbacks, press box is embarrassingly cramped, lack of much signage or interesting architecture/statues within the stadium itself etc. but that is improving somewhat. A new video scoreboard was put in this season and you can now buy beer/wine inside Fitton....they've also actually put on some padding on some of the bleachers lol.

The stadium was sort of remodeled after the 1985 season. The skeletal structure is basically the same but the stands were wooden and it wasn't a complete "horseshoe" before...they connected the visitors side to the large endzone bleachers. There used to be "on their own" wooden bleachers in the western endzone and on part of the visitor's side. Capacity remained roughly the same at about 23-25K. Last sell-out (evah???) was the BC game in 1986.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2021, 05:11 PM
Last sell-out (evah???) was the BC game in 1986.

Win a couple of FCS playoff games, and get one at home. Fitton will sell out faster than Judas Iscariot at a dinner party.

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Win a couple of FCS playoff games, and get one at home. Fitton will sell out faster than Judas Iscariot at a dinner party.

No Patriot League team has that fan base anymore. Its largest crowds since BC were game with UMass and UNH and the visitors brought the crowd.

FCS playoff games in December don't draw anywhere outside Fargo.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2021, 05:27 PM
No Patriot League team has that fan base anymore. Its largest crowds since BC were game with UMass and UNH and the visitors brought the crowd.

Well over 50,000 people attended a certain Patriot League contest 2014. It can happen.

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2021, 05:50 PM
Well over 50,000 people attended a certain Patriot League contest 2014. It can happen.

Which game?

Sader87
September 29th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Interestingly, the one playoff game played at Fitton, Western Carolina in 1983 didn't draw all that well (for the time). About 13K which was smaller than most home games that season.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Interestingly, the one playoff game played at Fitton, Western Carolina in 1983 didn't draw all that well (for the time). About 13K which was smaller than most home games that season.

Watch what happens if you play Villanova at home in a playoff game.

The Boogie Down
September 29th, 2021, 06:37 PM
Jack Coffey Field: This could be so much better if it wasn't so, well, artificial--the erector set stands, the turf, the aluminum seats, the view of a parking lot beyond second base. If you put Richmond's stadium on Rose Hill it would be remarkable. I know they don't want to move baseball but it's the only way this gets any better.

Fordham doesn’t have a stadium. It’s a field with a set of big bleachers. It’s a real shame given their history and potential to have a legitimately good FCS program. Wreaks of small time.

I see Fordham was nice enough to provide the grade of their stadium right at midfield for the rest of us to see.

Thanks for the nice words from a few overly generous members of the Laf/Leh crowd but, c'mon guys... Fordham's "stadium" is a complete and total joke so special thanks to those above for reaffirming what should be obvious to all.

Some backstory:

Back in the 1920s Fordham built its own track & field just west of the basketball gymnasium. The baseball diamond was built just east of the gymnasium in 1930. By then Fordham football had become big enough to play at the Polo Grounds so the small on campus field and its wooden stands were only used for practice. (Should be noted tho that on that field in 1947, then Freshman Team HC Vince Lombardi, coined the term "Run to daylight!" while shouting instructions to his running back, Larry Higgins).

Lombardi's success with the freshman team aside, the school had deemphasized football after WWII. With Polo Grounds crowds slipping the school also planned to reel the program back on campus while turning the track & field into a 20,000 seat wooden stadium. But that never got built & those plans were scrapped for good when football was dropped after the 1954 season. For reasons which I don't understand, when football did come back ten years later as a club sport, students decided to play on the baseball diamond (well, the outfield to be more accurate) instead of the track & field.

I "think" the NY Football Giants were even using the track & field for practice back then so not sure why the school's own team would chose to play on a baseball diamond instead. Either way, they've been there ever since. There've been upgrades since the mid-1960s but ehhh...

The biggest facelift came in 1990 w/the creation of permanent aluminum stands and some bare minimum amenities like bathrooms, concessions and an elevator to the press box. But even for 1990 it had a D-III feel. Lights, artificial turf replacing the muddy mess that was supposed to be a grass field and some chair backs made for nice bandaids but still, ehhh...

31 years later and Coffey Field still has a D-III feel. It still looks like an erector set, still an abomination that still wreaks of small time while almost serving as a slap on the face to the school's rich past and future potential as a legit FCS program.

The old track & field is long gone (actually, just the track is long gone, the field has been divided to make room for other venues but there is still enough space there for football practice), so now there is no other option but to stay on the baseball diamond.

But even as one of those Venn diagram stadiums popular in southern Turkmenistan, it could still get an actual gray stone facade, chair backs throughout, a field house, and temp bleachers for the other sides. It could still strive to not be the single worst stadium in all of the PL.

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2021, 06:47 PM
31 years later and Coffey Field still has a D-III feel. It still looks like an erector set, still an abomination that still wreaks of small time while almost serving as a slap on the face to the school's rich past and future potential as a legit FCS program.

The old track & field is long gone (actually, just the track is long gone, the field has been divided to make room for other venues but there is still enough space there for football practice), so now there is no other option but to stay on the baseball diamond.

But even as one of those Venn diagram stadiums popular in southern Turkmenistan, it could still get an actual gray stone facade, chair backs throughout, a field house, and temp bleachers for the other sides. It could still strive to not be the single worst stadium in all of the PL.

It's not close to the worst stadium, a title once resolutely held by Georgetown, and which may still hold it. But unlike Georgetown, who did not build a visitors side because they needed the site to support a wider NCAA soccer field when the soccer team loses its own field in 10 years, Fordham does have the space to construct a showplace stadium. To do so, it's got to make the hard decision to move baseball off campus and use the Jack Coffey footprint as part of a BC-esque plan to construct a 14,000 seat football stadium that enjoins a new 7,000 seat basketball arena on that land.

Example: the conversion of Minnegan Field at Towson to Johnny Unitas Stadium. And with all due respect to the late Jack Coffey, a Vince Lombardi Stadium could attract donors.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/JohnnyUnitasStadium2013.jpg

The Boogie Down
September 29th, 2021, 06:53 PM
These were screen shots I took off the YouTube video which itself came off Google Earth. A little blurry but clear to all that this is a "stadium" only certain parts of southern Turkmenistan could love.

32147 32148

The Boogie Down
September 29th, 2021, 07:05 PM
It's not close to the worst stadium, a title once resolutely held by Georgetown, and which may still hold it. But unlike Georgetown, who did not build a visitors side because they needed the site to support a wider NCAA soccer field when the soccer team loses its own field in 10 years, Fordham does have the space to construct a showplace stadium. To do so, it's got to make the hard decision to move baseball off campus and use the Jack Coffey footprint as part of a BC-esque plan to construct a 14,000 seat football stadium that enjoins a new 7,000 seat basketball arena on that land.

It won't be cheap--this is probably a $200 million effort combined. But it's needed...for both teams. And with all due respect to the late Jack Coffey, a Vince Lombardi Stadium could attract donors.

I disagree with your first sentence. Re-watch the YouTube vid and tell me who has the nicer facade today. Not even close! The rest though....

Gotta be honest. Never thought of a smaller BC-type (I guess URI can count too) setup where a new set of stands would also come with a brand new indoor venue. Wow. Can you be our next AD?

I do think Fordham overuses the Lombardi name a tad. Ironically, just before he died, he was leading a fundraiser to build a four-sided/one-level rectangular baseball/football venue (on the Jack Coffey grounds) that was supposed to be named after Jim Crowley. That never happened either but even if it did, I'd still prefer your plan. And yeah, even if the name is a bit overused, Vince Lombardi Stadium does have a ring. Thank you for the suggestions and reply!

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2021, 07:18 PM
I do think Fordham overuses the Lombardi name a tad.

"Seven Blocks of Granite Field"

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2021, 08:02 PM
"Seven Blocks of Granite Field"

Or they could go corporate: "BNY Mellon Field."

The Boogie Down
September 29th, 2021, 08:19 PM
"Seven Blocks of Granite Field (w/a granite facade obviously), at the BNY Mellon Complex" works for me. Seriously, many thanks to yous both!!! Oh and when the time comes, do get in touch w/our new Prez!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 29th, 2021, 08:21 PM
Fitton Field is the only PL stadium I haven't been to for a game. I've strolled through campus once which gave me an opportunity to check it out. It's definitely an impressive structure. It kind of reminded me of a pre-renovated, rather spartan Tub at Delaware.

The homer in will always like Goodman for the fact it has (or had) a big time feel due to the athletic campus setup (similar to major D1 athletics), the expansive parking/tailgating areas, the way stadium dominated the landscape due to its size and the balanced seating. I always thought it felt bigger than 16k. Granted, the actual capacity with the hill and standing room is probably 21-25k. The seats are a bit far removed from the field but it's still a better setup than MOST stadiums with tracks. CMS at Bucknell being one of the few "track" exceptions.

Overall, the PL is home to quality FCS stadiums. I honestly don't believe Jack Coffey is that bad given Fordham's unique location. Georgetown's facility has slowly improved by better incorporating it into the campus. Both of those schools have serious land constraints that must be factored in.

Leopard Loyalist
September 29th, 2021, 10:29 PM
One of the proposed plans for Fisher Field back in 1925, when Lafayette regularly fielded one of the best teams in the east, if not the whole country.

NY Crusader 2010
September 30th, 2021, 06:13 AM
Watch what happens if you play Villanova at home in a playoff game.

FCS playoff games in December in Worcester are not bringing in 10K, let alone anywhere close to a sellout.

NY Crusader 2010
September 30th, 2021, 06:18 AM

The biggest I recall (12K - 15K range):

Harvard in 2007 and again in 2009 => both early September games and both were Homecoming. The 2007 game was also home opener. Our 2008 game in Cambridge under the lights drew 21K.

UMass in 2008 => Again, HC decided to stack the deck with the three-headed monster of home opener, homecoming AND notable local opponent. Our game in McGuirk in 2007 also drew over 14K as both fan bases traveled in solid numbers for the home and home.

UMass in 2011 & UNH in 2012 => both were Friday night games, the first 2 in Fitton history.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2021, 07:21 AM

........UMMMM WOW!.......GREAT STADIUMS....PAST/PRESENT.............NEED TA FILL 'EM.....WHIFF........COMPETITIVE TEAMS.......WHAA GOOD IS MEMORY LANE......NO ONE IS CLAMORIN'......FO' BANDSTAND RERUNS......AWK!

Fordham
September 30th, 2021, 08:11 AM
Hahaha. Appreciate those who supported Fordham here but agree we were are a bottom feeder when it comes to our stadium. The gameday experience being on-campus as well as a short walk to Little Italy, the Botanical Gardens and Bronx Zoo help make up for it a bit but the aluminum, one-sided bleachers are rough. I wish, at a minimum, that we could get the games to be shot from the other side so you could actually see the fans & stands but it would make it challenging for the play by play guys. Regardless, space is at a premium on our campus and I don't see us changing this stadium anytime soon unfortunately.

For my money Lafayette is #1, followed closely by Lehigh & HC. Those 3 are in their own echelon and then it's obviously Bucknell after that. The Lafayette improvements made about a decade ago (is it longer than that? Likely is) were remarkable and I have a soft spot for a stadium built into a hillside like the way the home bleachers are. So cool. Lehigh is stunningly beautiful but, man, did they build those bleachers far away from the field. Far and away my biggest knock. Then HC is the opposite - no frills but you're right on top of the action which is really amazing. I'll trade for any one of those 3 in a swap and even throw in the Botanical Gardens as a kicker.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Hahaha. Appreciate those who supported Fordham here but agree we were are a bottom feeder when it comes to our stadium. The gameday experience being on-campus as well as a short walk to Little Italy, the Botanical Gardens and Bronx Zoo help make up for it a bit but the aluminum, one-sided bleachers are rough. I wish, at a minimum, that we could get the games to be shot from the other side so you could actually see the fans & stands but it would make it challenging for the play by play guys. Regardless, space is at a premium on our campus and I don't see us changing this stadium anytime soon unfortunately.

For my money Lafayette is #1, followed closely by Lehigh & HC. Those 3 are in their own echelon and then it's obviously Bucknell after that. The Lafayette improvements made about a decade ago (is it longer than that? Likely is) were remarkable and I have a soft spot for a stadium built into a hillside like the way the home bleachers are. So cool. Lehigh is stunningly beautiful but, man, did they build those bleachers far away from the field. Far and away my biggest knock. Then HC is the opposite - no frills but you're right on top of the action which is really amazing. I'll trade for any one of those 3 in a swap and even throw in the Botanical Gardens as a kicker.

don’t forget Chucifritos .. just a few blocks away

CHIP72
September 30th, 2021, 08:53 AM

Technically the official attendance for the game you are referencing was 48,256. ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2021, 09:04 AM

My biggest complaint about JCF is the glare from the expansive field turf. It's almost impossible to read the numbers on the field. When it was grass this was not an issue.

One thing about JCF that might help is Lehigh's winning ways when I attend games there, '99, '01, '02 (thriller), '05 and '11.

Libertine
September 30th, 2021, 09:57 AM
My biggest complaint about JCF is the glare from the expansive field turf. It's almost impossible to read the numbers on the field. When it was grass this was not an issue.

That typically means they either went with the cheap stuff or there was a manufacturer's error that needs to be rectified. Most turf fields have what amounts to a small rubber or plastic spine built into each "blade" of the fake grass which is supposed to make it stand upright. If light is reflecting off the field, it means that a significant amount of the "grass" is actually laying flat because that spine is missing.

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2021, 12:03 PM
If light is reflecting off the field, it means that a significant amount of the "grass" is actually laying flat because that spine is missing.

That was a problem at the Harvard-Brown game last week on ESPNU. The turf reflected so much it appeared that it was dusted by snow.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/32272677

Sader87
September 30th, 2021, 12:16 PM
Holy Cross and Lehigh are two of the very few remaining football fields with natural grass today sadly. I understand the need for turf in many places but it's a shame that both Harvard Stadium and the Yale Bowl have gone turf....they lost a lot of lustre (in my aging eyes anyway) in doing so.

Go Green
September 30th, 2021, 12:29 PM
That was a problem at the Harvard-Brown game last week on ESPNU. The turf reflected so much it appeared that it was dusted by snow.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/32272677

I think that the turf was also wet, given that it rained earlier in the day.

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2021, 12:40 PM
I think that the turf was also wet, given that it rained earlier in the day.

The two night games I've seen at Harvard have seemed dark. Maybe it was the angle of the lights or the humidity, but it seemed less bright than many college or NFL games.

Libertine
September 30th, 2021, 01:41 PM
The two night games I've seen at Harvard have seemed dark. Maybe it was the angle of the lights or the humidity, but it seemed less bright than many college or NFL games.

In smaller and older stadiums, the field lights are intended to simply put light on the field for players and spectators, not to diffuse it or make it more TV-friendly in terms of color and shadow. They are also sometimes so physically close to the playing surface that TV crews have to iris down due to light reflecting off the field (regardless of playing surface). Between those two factors, the overall effect is often a harsher, darker and more contrasting picture, particularly toward the end zones. You'll see this a LOT in televised high school games.

The Boogie Down
September 30th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Hahaha. Appreciate those who supported Fordham here but agree we were are a bottom feeder when it comes to our stadium. The gameday experience being on-campus as well as a short walk to Little Italy, the Botanical Gardens and Bronx Zoo help make up for it a bit but the aluminum, one-sided bleachers are rough.

+1

Funny. Best things to say about Jack Coffey Field is its location. But yeah, it does come with a good pre-game tailgate and excellent post-game dining options. Surprised tho... For all the talk of glare coming off the artificial turf, no one mentioned the aluminum stands. Bring shades on bright sunny days. That collection of rows can really pop!

don’t forget Chucifritos .. just a few blocks away

+2

When it comes to Italian restaurant rows, nothing in NYC (and thus nothing in all of the USA) tops Arthur Avenue. But if Italian ain't your thing, then yes, "188 Bakery Chuchifritos" is about a 15 minute walk from JCF. Guess 10 minutes from the Webster Avenue entrance. Doesn't look like much but a 4.4 score out of 750 Google votes is pretty solid.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2021, 06:33 PM
That typically means they either went with the cheap stuff or there was a manufacturer's error that needs to be rectified.

Can they return it and get their money back if they have a receipt?

UAalum72
September 30th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Can they return it and get their money back if they have a receipt?
Only if they return it in the original packaging.

It's been a few years since I've been on Fordham's forum, but the fans there were claiming they "couldn't" put temporary bleachers on the far side because it would damage the turf. Ignored that it was done at Northeastern, and is still done every basketball season at the Carrier Dome.

ngineer
September 30th, 2021, 11:55 PM
My choices:

The North Endzone has the field house for both teams. The large wall facing the end zone has very large placards with all of Lehigh's Football accomplishments:
A separate stand-alone placard for the NCAA II Championship Team of 1977, another for all of Lehigh's Lambert Cup Trophies, another listing all of Lehigh's NCAA Playoff appearances, and another listing all of Lehigh's Patriot League Championships. They have been there for years.

You are correct that the only real criticism I have of Goodman is the distance between the stands and the sideline. This was, in part, due to the underlying features of the natural bowl in which it was constructed, but something they wanted, anyway, because it can accommodate soccer, which has a wider field of play. Lehigh has hosted several Olympic trials at Goodman over the years, as well as a professional soccer team up until a couple years ago. When I was at Lehigh, old Taylor Stadium was a classic where the concrete stands came right down to the back of he players' bench and about only 20 feet from the sideline, similar to Fitton.

Otherwise, Goodman's setting with the mountain in the background, at the large fields and spaces for tailgating, and the ability to hold a very large crowd, whenever needed, plenty of parking, large HEATED restrooms, and varied selections of food concessions, to me makes it among other best of all FCS stadiums. I still believe Princeton has the best facility of all FCS overall.

ngineer
October 1st, 2021, 12:04 AM
First time I've ever seen the Pee Wall mentioned as a negative. That thing is a model of efficiency. In fact during recent renovations there was quite a bit of concern for it and outcry that the wall should be preserved.

The Pee Wall is one of the attributes of the The Tub!! Most efficient "in and out" mens room in the country!!

NY Crusader 2010
October 1st, 2021, 02:55 AM
My rankings:

1) Goodman Stadium -- only complaint would be the distance from the field of some of the stands, especially closer to midfield as the grandstand curves out. But overall, the parking/tailgate situation is great, concessions are class of the league, beautiful backdrop. NATURAL GRASS. Wide open concourses where you can see the whole field, lawn-area end-zone seating for those inclined. Overall solid venue that reflects what I would consider to be the "flagship" program in the PL, Gilmore era woes notwithstanding.

2) Fisher Field -- saw the stadium right before the remodel when visiting as a HS junior and it looked dreary. And when I returned for our game in 2008, man was I impressed. Lafayette did a fantastic job with this hiddem gem of an FCS venue. Chairback seats, nice visitor side bleachers, the hedges, stands right on the field, proximity to field house and other on campus locations, frats, etc.

3) Fitton Field -- I've always liked that it's a football-only facility with natural grass and that the stands are right on the sideline. You can feel the history wash over you here and get the sense of "hey we used to be big time" and imagine the 25K seats sold out for the last BC game. But it's not too cavernous to the point where the place feels empty for a standard Homecoming crowd in modern times. Looking forward to seeing the new video board. Negatives -- locker room situation.

4t) Jack Coffey Field -- I have less complaints than others. The "erector set" bleachers don't really bother me and I don't really feel like I'm at a small-time venue when I'm here to the extent that others do. Great tailgate set up. Great culinary neighborhood for those who wish to venture out. Right next to Botanical Garden and Bronx Zoo. As some of you know, my hometown is the North Bronx so our lone DI football stadium is somewhat special to me. It's also where I watched my first Holy Cross game in 2005. Two things needed to improve -- FORDHAM block letters in the end zones (currently blank) & at least a temporary bleacher set up behind the visitors bench. Talking 400 bleacher seats here, not asking for much -- Brown has this setup. For a couple of the really well-attended Homecoming games here, they've actually had limited standing room section in this area, roped off behind the bench, in addition to allowing some people to sit in the baseball stands a million miles from the field.

4t) Andy Kerr Stadium -- Perfect venue for Colgate. The frats drive the atmosphere here. Unlike Fordham, they have a small visitor side which is a plus. Locker room situation is OK from what I recall. Just not much around here and a 5 hour drive for pretty much any PL alumni base. Definitely a venue I would like to return to at some point as an alum.

6) Christy Mathewson Stadium -- I love the pre-modern, "original" vibes here. Only thing that's missing is a 21st century "touch-up" as you also get the sense that it's decaying. Like a smaller Harvard Stadium with less charm. But really what's missing at Bucknell is for the school to put some effort towards caring about football and get some butts in the seats. Every 5 or 6 years Bucknell has a surprise team that competes somewhat competitively for a title and everyone thinks they're up and coming. And then the next year the ship sinks. Like clockwork. This school is literally in the shadow of Happy Valley. If the Bison can get 2,800 people to come to Lewisburg on a Wednesday night for a basketball game, how about 5,000 for a PL football home game or one against an old Ivy rival?

UNRANKED => Cooper Field -- I have not been since the re-model and have only been to MSF once in 2008. For what it was (a lax stadium with football hashes), it wasn't all that bad as a game venue. Fans close to the action, right in middle of campus. Despite the small scale, you get the "feel" of a full stadium even with an attendance of 2,000. If I need an excuse for a family trip to DC, I'd much rather schedule it around a football game at Georgetown than say, a basketball game at American.

Advice for any NY-area PL alum => I annually make the trip to Lehigh Valley for either the Lehigh or Lafayette game every year. Easy drive from the city, Westchester or NJ suburbs, especially on a Saturday morning with an evening return post-dinner. I even made the trip on a work-night when our basketball team played Lehigh in the championship game in 2016 and I was in bed by 11pm. Both Lehigh and Lafayette game-day experiences are well worth it, even to the point where I will go when the weather is bad.

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2021, 07:13 AM
I only have not been to Georgetown and Fordham. The growth of the trees around Lehigh over the past 30 years when that opened in 1989 is stunning. Remember they were planted there as it was basically a cornfield before.

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2021, 12:56 PM
Question for those that follow these things: the next PL school to rebuild, reconfigure or build a new facility will be...?

Sader87
October 1st, 2021, 03:33 PM
Question for those that follow these things: the next PL school to rebuild, reconfigure or build a new facility will be...?

Fordham seems the most likely.....all the other 6 have fairly in-place facilities for FCS-level football.

I could see some sort of reconfiguration at Fitton....maybe the elimination of some bleachers, added locker-rooms etc in their place, maybe lights added finally etc......but I think that may be a ways off and not really high on the HC admin's "to do" list.

MR. CHICKEN
October 1st, 2021, 03:39 PM

.....DARK SHADOWS........NOT FROST ON DUH PUMPKIN.........IT'S DEM NEW SQUIGGLY LIGHT BULBS.......BLUE/PINK/YELLOWISH TINTS.......DEY'LL LAST UH QUARTER CENTURY.......BUT LIGHTING.....IS DULLED.........GEESH.......DUH HOME GROWN.....WON'T EVEN.......GET YA HUNGRY.....BRAWK!

The Boogie Down
October 1st, 2021, 03:55 PM
It's been a few years since I've been on Fordham's forum, but the fans there were claiming they "couldn't" put temporary bleachers on the far side because it would damage the turf. Ignored that it was done at Northeastern, and is still done every basketball season at the Carrier Dome.

This sounds right.

Fordham seems the most likely...

This does not.

Go Green
October 2nd, 2021, 10:46 AM
This does not.

Who gets your vote, then?

The Boogie Down
October 3rd, 2021, 01:08 AM
Who gets your vote, then?

Georgetown.

DFW disagrees. Earlier on this thread he predicted that within 10 years Georgetown soccer will lose their field and be forced onto the gridiron. According to him, football won't be getting visiting stands to save room for when that day comes. But I don't think that's how things will play out. The Hoyas are a powerhouse on the pitch so I think they'll keep their venue. But even if they had to share w/football, and even with the wider field, there is still some space for visiting stands.

ngineer
October 3rd, 2021, 11:03 PM

Lehigh actually did a significant upgrade two years ago with a refurbishing of the home side press box into "sky boxes" for big donors. The "press box, media, and coaches booths" have been moved to the top of the eastern stands (facing into the sun setting in the west-ouch!) A new, large video board now covers a good portion of the north end zone wall of the field house. Along with elevators for both east side press box and west side skyboxes, the entire project was likely in the neighborhood of $400-$500K.

NY Crusader 2010
October 4th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Fordham seems the most likely.....all the other 6 have fairly in-place facilities for FCS-level football.

I could see some sort of reconfiguration at Fitton....maybe the elimination of some bleachers, added locker-rooms etc in their place, maybe lights added finally etc......but I think that may be a ways off and not really high on the HC admin's "to do" list.

Fordham's been in the A-10 for 27 years and has done absolutely bush to upgrade their field house. Zero chance they do anything of significance to upgrade their football stadium minus taking my advise to actually paint the word "FORDHAM" in the end zones.

I think Holy Cross is the most likely to reconfigure their facility -- football building, new locker rooms, press boxes, ADA, re-constructed concession setup, possible permanent lights, etc. I don't see any PL school building a new structure in the next 20 years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2021, 07:02 PM
I could see Colgate renovating the "away stands" and finally building a legit press box in the not too distant future.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 4th, 2021, 07:23 PM
Holy Cross and Lehigh are two of the very few remaining football fields with natural grass today sadly. I understand the need for turf in many places but it's a shame that both Harvard Stadium and the Yale Bowl have gone turf....they lost a lot of lustre (in my aging eyes anyway) in doing so.

Having played Yale in September in 2019 on a beautiful day but some previous rain made the field crappy as hell, I'll take field turf to eliminate those mud bowls any day.

TheValleyRaider
October 4th, 2021, 07:27 PM
Not sure what I can contribute here, given I haven't been to a non-Colgate stadium since 2014, and only last saw the Raiders live in 2015. Lafayette was still pre-renovation the last time I went to a game there!

Of what I remember from the somewhat distant past:
- I do like Colgate's, but that is in large part because it's ours, and I have memories like watching the goalposts coming down in the snow. The upgrades to the turf and scoreboard, plus lights, make for a nice facility, but I always thought the grass was a nice look. When the lights first went in we had a few scheduled night games early in the season, but those stopped pretty quickly. Wonder if they might consider it in the future. Probably not, but interesting
- Lehigh was probably my favorite of the rest. Nice setting, though the scoreboard could be obscured by sunshine. Crowds were better when I was a student, but then again the teams were better too (both Colgate and Lehigh)
- I really liked the setting for Lafayette, and while it does put a cap on capacity, it's not as if they really need more. The old version needed the work, and the upgrades look good on the Internet
- Holy Cross is a nice stadium, but way too big for the crowds they actually draw these days. I remember it feeling cavernous, which is not a great thing
- I have seen Bucknell, though it was empty during the summer. Like Lafayette it looks nice on campus, but hard to get a feel from the outside
- Never been to Fordham or Georgetown

TheValleyRaider
October 4th, 2021, 07:31 PM
I could see Colgate renovating the "away stands" and finally building a legit press box in the not too distant future.

If by "renovating" you mean chopping off the far ends of the stands and/or getting new bleachers, then maybe, but I can't see anything more than that.

The press box being on the visiting side is weird, but it doesn't really fit on the home side with the crescent. Cornell is basically the same way, though removed their visitor stands after they were basically condemned.

Either way, I don't see much change coming anytime soon. A renovation for the basketball court sounds like the biggest priority for the AD

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2021, 09:16 PM
Having played Yale in September in 2019 on a beautiful day but some previous rain made the field crappy as hell, I'll take field turf to eliminate those mud bowls any day.

was that 2018?

ngineer
October 4th, 2021, 10:17 PM

If at all possible, I want a grass, well crowned, field. Football was meant to be played in "the elements" with "the great equalizer" coming into play. The field turf fields take away that unique element.

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2021, 10:52 PM
DFW disagrees. Earlier on this thread he predicted that within 10 years Georgetown soccer will lose their field and be forced onto the gridiron. According to him, football won't be getting visiting stands to save room for when that day comes. But I don't think that's how things will play out. The Hoyas are a powerhouse on the pitch so I think they'll keep their venue. But even if they had to share w/football, and even with the wider field, there is still some space for visiting stands.

Here's why: facilities at Georgetown are a Rubik's cube, where one great idea introduces a number of moving parts.

In 1979, Georgetown built an underground field house for its intramural sports (Yates Field House), from the same architect that designed the "Rec Plex" at Boston College known as the William J. Flynn Recreation Complex. But what BC and Georgetown both found out was that the architect's use of concrete caused structural issues when moisture inevitably seeped in: water and concrete don't mix. GU has spent millions to keep the Yates Field House upright, while BC went ahead and demolished the Rec-Plex two year ago. By 2029, Yates Field House will be 50 years old and the all-concrete structure will not be sustainable.

With 85% of undergraduates now campus, a recreational/intramural facility is essential and Georgetown can't kick the can on building a replacement like they did with, well, you know, a Multi-Sport Field. The only land available to host a new recreational/intramural facility is the soccer field (Shaw Field) adjacent to the hospital. The chatter is that the soccer field would become the recreational/intramural facility and the footprint of Yates Field House would be reconstructed into a soccer field...eventually. During construction, soccer would move to what is now Cooper Field to host games, but Cooper isn't wide enough for NCAA soccer unless the visitors side was demolished.

Is there an opportunity for visitors stands? Yes--I'm writing about it later this week. But given the small crowds of PL visitors to Washington, it hasn't been a priority.

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus-community/around-campus/game-over-at-the-plex.html

Sader87
October 4th, 2021, 11:39 PM
Didn't know the Plex was razed....spent a fair amount of time there in the 80s while visiting friends at BC.

Go Green
October 5th, 2021, 05:06 AM
With 85% of undergraduates now campus, a recreational/intramural facility is essential and Georgetown can't kick the can on building a replacement like they did with, well, you know, a Multi-Sport Field. The only land available to host a new recreational/intramural facility is the soccer field (Shaw Field) adjacent to the hospital. The chatter is that the soccer field would become the recreational/intramural facility and the footprint of Yates Field House would be reconstructed into a soccer field...eventually. During construction, soccer would move to what is now Cooper Field to host games, but Cooper isn't wide enough for NCAA soccer unless the visitors side was demolished.

My second grader got a huge thrill out of watching the medical helicopter take off and land right next to Shaw Field. And yes, they delay the game as the helipad is right behind a goal. :)

The Boogie Down
October 5th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Fordham's been in the A-10 for 27 years and has done absolutely bush to upgrade their field house. Zero chance they do anything of significance to upgrade their football stadium minus taking my advise to actually paint the word "FORDHAM" in the end zones.

Actually, there isn't really a field house to begin with. Certainly not one attached to the field itself. There is a massive hall, mostly for intramural sports, which also houses football offices, certain weight rooms and visiting lockers. To be fair, it covers a lot more than that (like indoor track/aquatic sports) as well. Either way, that center and the basketball gym are both being connected to the refurbished student union which is currently being expanded. Should make for one truly stunning and fully connected complex once completed, but none of that has anything to do w/Jack Coffey Field:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/05/first-phase-of-fordham-universitys-100-million-renovations-due-this-fall.html

In fact, with all the soccer lines JCF also has to deal w/during the fall semester, I can't even see the end zones getting painted. At this point I'd simply settle for more chair backs. xsmhx

The Boogie Down
October 5th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Here's why: facilities at Georgetown are a Rubik's cube, where one great idea introduces a number of moving parts.

Is there an opportunity for visitors stands? Yes--I'm writing about it later this week. But given the small crowds of PL visitors to Washington, it hasn't been a priority.

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus-community/around-campus/game-over-at-the-plex.html (https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus-community/around-campus/game-over-at-the-plex.html)

Didn't block the whole thing but look forward to hearing more. Always enjoy your inside scoops and personal takes to Georgetown. Not to mention your frequent references to the other northeastern Jebbies.

Go Green
October 5th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Didn't block the whole thing but look forward to hearing more. Always enjoy your inside scoops and personal takes to Georgetown. Not to mention your frequent references to the other northeastern Jebbies.

Just to add to DFW's report, I'm guessing that student intramurals/sports rec activities will be moved to the still-new Thompson Center and/or old McDonough gym while they come up with a replacement for Yates.

Less obvious is where the soccer teams go. Cooper Field is kind of occupied already in the Fall afternoons. They wouldn't have teams practice in the morning before classes, would they?

American University seems to have a regulation-sized soccer field a few blocks north of the art center that they never seem to use. Maybe they can lease it to GU.

DFW HOYA
October 5th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Just to add to DFW's report, I'm guessing that student intramurals/sports rec activities will be moved to the still-new Thompson Center while they come up with a replacement for Yates. Less obvious is where the soccer teams go. Cooper Field is kind of occupied already in the Fall afternoons. They wouldn't have teams practice in the morning before classes, would they?
American University seems to have a regulation-sized soccer field a few blocks north of the art center that they never seem to use. Maybe they can lease it to GU.

No, the basketball program does not work like that. It's under lock and key and not even former players get in.

"They wouldn't have teams practice in the morning before classes, would they?" The field use starts at 6:00 am right through 10:00 pm.

The four phases probably take about three years, assuming no delays, and that there's fundraising (no guarantees there, which is why it's probably still where it is.).

1. Soccer team moved to Cooper Field.
2. Rec facility constructed on Shaw Field (18-24 mos.).
3. Cutover to move students to new facility.
4. Yates torn down (3-6 mos.)
5. New soccer facility construction (3-6 mos.)
6. Soccer moves to new facility.

It's a good thing Cooper Field had philanthropic support from the football community. If not, it's possible they could have been moved off campus to some high school in Arlington or to play games at a park in Bethesda instead.

Go Green
October 5th, 2021, 01:36 PM
No, the basketball program does not work like that. It's under lock and key and not even former players get in.

"They wouldn't have teams practice in the morning before classes, would they?" The field use starts at 6:00 am right through 10:00 pm.

The four phases probably take about three years, assuming no delays, and that there's fundraising (no guarantees there, which is why it's probably still where it is.).

1. Soccer team moved to Cooper Field.
2. Rec facility constructed on Shaw Field (18-24 mos.).
3. Cutover to move students to new facility.
4. Yates torn down (3-6 mos.)
5. New soccer facility construction (3-6 mos.)
6. Soccer moves to new facility.

It's a good thing Cooper Field had philanthropic support from the football community. If not, it's possible they could have been moved off campus to some high school in Arlington or to play games at a park in Bethesda instead.

Then I'm very glad that my then-preschooler and I snuck into Thompson the weekend before its grand opening and gave ourselves a tour of the place during halftime of a Hoya football game. We were impressed! :)

Georgetown has nationally competitive soccer teams. The guess here is that if they have to start practice at Cooper at dawn or after dusk, it will hurt recruiting a bit.

NY Crusader 2010
October 6th, 2021, 06:54 AM
Actually, there isn't really a field house to begin with. Certainly not one attached to the field itself. There is a massive hall, mostly for intramural sports, which also houses football offices, certain weight rooms and visiting lockers. To be fair, it covers a lot more than that (like indoor track/aquatic sports) as well. Either way, that center and the basketball gym are both being connected to the refurbished student union which is currently being expanded. Should make for one truly stunning and fully connected complex once completed, but none of that has anything to do w/Jack Coffey Field:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/05/first-phase-of-fordham-universitys-100-million-renovations-due-this-fall.html

In fact, with all the soccer lines JCF also has to deal w/during the fall semester, I can't even see the end zones getting painted. At this point I'd simply settle for more chair backs. xsmhx

By field house, I was referring to Rose Hill Gym, not the Lombardi Center. Sorry for the confusion.

Digby
October 6th, 2021, 07:22 AM
I’ve been to all except Georgetown, which shouldn’t count. Bucknell has some advantages. Location, walking distance to bars, parking is easy. Lafayette is similar but parking is not as convenient when crowds are big.
On nice days, I’ve parked in Hellertown, had a few beers and walked to Goodman but there is nothing like an on-campus stadium.

ngineer
October 6th, 2021, 04:22 PM
I’ve been to all except Georgetown, which shouldn’t count. Bucknell has some advantages. Location, walking distance to bars, parking is easy. Lafayette is similar but parking is not as convenient when crowds are big.
On nice days, I’ve parked in Hellertown, had a few beers and walked to Goodman but there is nothing like an on-campus stadium.

Plenty of beers in the parking lots at Goodman!xsmiley_wix

Pard4Life
October 6th, 2021, 09:02 PM
Love how this thread gets 3x more traffic than a PL game week thread.

PS Badman Stadium is very overrated. The view is 'ok'... I do not think an interstate highway in the background is very attractive. The best view in Badman is the home scoreboard reading '3' or '0' during autumn late afternoons.

The Boogie Down
October 8th, 2021, 05:51 PM
By field house, I was referring to Rose Hill Gym, not the Lombardi Center. Sorry for the confusion.

Ohhh, okay… Yeah, Rose Hill Gym was only "average" as a PL facility and that was 25+ years ago. The fact that Fordham is still using it in the A-10 is almost inexcusable. Still tho, at least that pig comes with some pretty shades of lipstick. Over the years there’s been a new (and very nice looking) floor, new seats, new lights, new video screens and improvements to lockers/offices. Still far too tiny for the A-10 but kinda presentable in photos. Sorta. Like a cathedral on the outside and an old, historic cage on the inside. On the rare occasions it gets NY media mentions, it's always with the kid-gloves treatment. They talk up the gym's history, cozy feel, and all that nostalgia stuff.

None of this can be said about Jack Coffey Field. It's cramped, not cozy. There's no "cathedral” look or feel, no charm, no history, aside from a nice but easy to miss marker when you walk in, no ties to the Seven Blocks of Granite, no nothing. The coolest thing about the place, ringing the Victory Bell after wins, actually takes place in front of the aforementioned basketball gym.

As others said, it looks like an erector set built on the cheap. One set of stands overlooking a field with (thanks mostly to soccer but baseball too) too many lines overlapping the gridiron. The one video board, one small section of chair backs and canvas posters creating some sort of half-facade only adds to its cheap feel.

All other PL venues come w/something cool. Bucknell has the end zone bushes but even the stadium itself has old school-looking arches. Holy Cross, well… Not much in amenities but it’s still big and ridiculously close to the field. Lehigh and Lafayette both have stands built into the ground (partially at least) and impressive field houses. Colgate has its mini-crescent and now Georgetown, with its new brick structure (albeit one sided as well), joins the club too. But Fordham's Jack Coffey Field? It's not even the Historic Rose Hill Gymnasium. No hiding or mistaking this pig.