PDA

View Full Version : Alabama St. accuses rival football team (Jacksonville State) of spying

MACHIAVELLI
August 24th, 2007, 08:46 AM
ASU accuses rival football team of spying

By Josh Moon
[email protected]

The Alabama State University football team is accusing its opening day opponent of using a local high school coach to spy on its practices.

ASU head coach Reggie Barlow made the accusation against Jacksonville State after he and his assistants spotted a spectator taking notes at the Hornets' final scrimmage last Saturday.

Jacksonville State coach Jack Crowe emphatically denied the allegation through a university spokesman.

Barlow confronted the man, who identified himself only as defensive coordinator at Stanhope Elmore High School. The ASU coaching squad confiscated the notes and asked the man to leave.

"He was taking all kinds of notes, things he obviously wouldn't need if he was just doing what he said he was doing," Barlow said.

The ASU coach called Stanhope Elmore head coach Jeff Foshee on Monday and asked him to look into the matter. On Wednesday, Foshee told Barlow he talked with the man, whom he would identify only as his defensive coordinator. A Stanhope Elmore roster lists the defensive coordinator as Hayden Stockton, a former University of Alabama punter in the 1990s.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID

ButlerGSU
August 24th, 2007, 08:47 AM
If he's so worried about 'spying' shouldn't he close his practice to the public?

mikebigg
August 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
If he's so worried about 'spying' shouldn't he close his practice to the public?

Looks like he might have too now that some jerk of a coach is pulling this type stunt. That's a discredit to the profession. I'm not even a coach, but I would never pull such a stunt. I live here in Baton Rouge and I would NEVER go visit SU's practices to spy on them. That guy (spy) is classless!

McNeese75
August 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I really don't see the big deal xrotatehx . If they are putting some super secret plays or formations they need to close the practice (I am assuming this one was not). Otherwise, what the man in the stands it seeing is the same as the game tapes from last year.

On the other side, Crowe is a peculiar customer and when they were in the SLC he was always coming up with some pretty wild statements, etc.

McNeese_beat
August 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Looks like he might have too now that some jerk of a coach is pulling this type stunt. That's a discredit to the profession. I'm not even a coach, but I would never pull such a stunt. I live here in Baton Rouge and I would NEVER go visit SU's practices to spy on them. That guy (spy) is classless!

These accusations couldn't possibly be true. I mean, Jacksonville State is so big time, they are moving to the FBS. xrolleyesx
So why would they need to spy on little Alabama State?xlolx

R.A.
August 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM
These accusations couldn't possibly be true. I mean, Jacksonville State is so big time, they are moving to the FBS. xrolleyesx
So why would they need to spy on little Alabama State?xlolx

Lolxlolx

jstate83
August 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
1 more week. xnodx

BgJag
August 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I live here in Baton Rouge and I would NEVER go visit SU's practices to spy on them.

Never been to a Southern practice Mike? Oh, I forgot you and one of the coach drank coffee over at your house on the weekend.xcoffeex
BTW, We haven't DONE HAPPY HOUR IN AWHILE, I'll give you a call soon.xpeacex

Cocky
August 24th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Too better the story, Stockton was an asst Coach at JSU. This is sounding a little fishy. Not sure if we're quilty but it doesn't look good. I'm sure this story isn't over.

McNeese75
August 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Too better the story, Stockton was an asst Coach at JSU. This is sounding a little fishy. Not sure if we're quilty but it doesn't look good. I'm sure this story isn't over.

Humm sounds like bulletin board material but as far as I know, this ain't dog fighting :D

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Are game tapes being exchanged from the previous season?

I know there was some interesting developments as far as game tapes go before from a SWAC school, though I can not recall what...

mikebigg
August 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Never been to a Southern practice Mike? Oh, I forgot you and one of the coach drank coffee over at your house on the weekend.xcoffeex
BTW, We haven't DONE HAPPY HOUR IN AWHILE, I'll give you a call soon.xpeacex

If you re-read my post, it states that I wouldn NEVER go to practice "to" spy. I've been to maybe three scrimmages in the past, but it was in relationship to my coaching the Bandits. That was so long ago, Marcus Randall was a 1st year player on our 9-10 year old team.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Are game tapes being exchanged from the previous season?

I know there was some interesting developments as far as game tapes go before from a SWAC school, though I can not recall what...

Famu wouldn't send SU or any other Swac school game tape.

McNeese75
August 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM

I believe there is a term that fits the situation if FAMU will not trade tapes.

That would be Chicken Shat xnodx

Zoo
August 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
That's really odd to do, don't you think?

This is even worse then that time when Alabama State had a winning season, oh wait.......

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM
I believe there is a term that fits the situation if FAMU will not trade tapes.

That would be Chicken Shat xnodx

Film on FAMU
Southern on Thursday received three game tapes from Florida A&M, which will play the Jaguars at 2 p.m. Sept. 1 in Birmingham, Ala., in the season opener.

That’s a big step forward because film exchange became a thorn as the relationship to the storied rivalry came to an end in 2001.

Richardson complained the Jaguars would either not get tapes or they’d get grainy, poor-quality tapes in the final years of the series.

That’s not so anymore. The FAMU tapes came in early and were in great condition.

“We’re trying to build that relationship back, because this should be a special game for everybody,” said Richardson, who said Southern sent its three tapes to Tallahassee, Fla., earlier in the week. “It’s a tradition that’s been going on for a long time and it got broken off. Now it’s a matter of rekindling that. Everybody’s excited about it.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/9366716.html?showAll=y&c=y

Jag4Life
August 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM

FAMU is a pass rush team and they are going to blitz. No tapes were needed because I know their game plan. They won't pass much, they are going to run and blitz. RUN AND BLITZ!!!!!

McNeese75
August 25th, 2007, 08:25 AM
FAMU is a pass rush team and they are going to blitz. No tapes were needed because I know their game plan. They won't pass much, they are going to run and blitz. RUN AND BLITZ!!!!!

Somebody should have told Crowe that :D

Cocky
August 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Somebody should have told Crowe that :D

We're playing Alabama St. not FAMU.

McNeese75
August 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
We're playing Alabama St. not FAMU.

Well, I guess that is an issue then xrotatehx

I said it before - Chicken Shat xnodx

phillyAPP
August 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Well, I guess that is an issue then xrotatehx

I said it before - Chicken Shat xnodx

Didn't hear about the Alabama St. secret? xchinscratchx

App state had Michigan spy at scrimmage and then at local bar later.

We told him good luck on Sept.1 and asked him if he needed some tapes. We have some from the past 2 december games.

Let me know when you find out the Al. State secret !

mikebigg
August 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Film on FAMU
Southern on Thursday received three game tapes from Florida A&M, which will play the Jaguars at 2 p.m. Sept. 1 in Birmingham, Ala., in the season opener.

That’s a big step forward because film exchange became a thorn as the relationship to the storied rivalry came to an end in 2001.

Richardson complained the Jaguars would either not get tapes or they’d get grainy, poor-quality tapes in the final years of the series.

That’s not so anymore. The FAMU tapes came in early and were in great condition.

“We’re trying to build that relationship back, because this should be a special game for everybody,” said Richardson, who said Southern sent its three tapes to Tallahassee, Fla., earlier in the week. “It’s a tradition that’s been going on for a long time and it got broken off. Now it’s a matter of rekindling that. Everybody’s excited about it.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/9366716.html?showAll=y&c=y

It was former Rattler coach Billy Joe who was notorious for not sending film or sending poor quality. The current Rattler coach is former Denver Bronco Rubin Carter. I think he's gonna run things the right way and build the Rattlers back to what they were during their championship years. However, he's gonna face some stiff competition in the MEAC nowadays. Hampton and SC State are tough and improving each season.

MACHIAVELLI
August 25th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I wonder if the script was flipped, would it be different?