PDA

View Full Version : How will the Hurrican effect the NCAA start?

GaSouthern
August 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
How is this going to effect the games being played down in that area of mississippi and Lousiana? I remember El Cid last year was having all sorts of problems with schedule due to the hurricane season.

McTailGator
August 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
How is this going to effect the games being played down in that area of mississippi and Lousiana? I remember El Cid last year was having all sorts of problems with schedule due to the hurricane season.

This thing will be way past Louisiana and Mississippi by Thursday and well up into the mid west or even Canada.

There will be some soggy practices, but that is about it.

http://www.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/CustomGraphic/tghur2.gif?

GaSouthern
August 28th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I am talking about destruction and lack of power in LA region.

JMU2004
August 28th, 2005, 03:48 PM
power will be off for weeks, maybe months..

football will be an after thought

CosmoVixen24
August 28th, 2005, 04:17 PM

You're pretty much right. We found out that here in Hammond that we'll more than likely be out of electricity for two to three weeks, and according to the weather authority, this is going to be the worst storm to hit this direction and New Orleans ever. So once again like you said, football will probably be an after thought. I know SELU was out practicing today, but I don't think they'll play this Thursday if there's no power and if it's a mess. Overall, I wish I were any of you right now. It sucks being here. :(

Tribe4SF
August 28th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Look for cancellation of many games in La. and Miss. over the next two weeks. This storm is a true monster. Power and transportation issues will be massive.

McTailGator
August 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I am talking about destruction and lack of power in LA region.

Its difficult to tell, but Tulane, Nichols and Southeastern LA should be effected the most.

I think Tulane is on the road for the 1st 2 weeks, and Southern and LSU should be far enough away. I guess Tulane's stadium, the Superdome could still be being used as a refugee camp by the time Tulane has a home game. It might effect the Saints before anyone else.

I think Southern Miss will have their power restored by week two (Tulane), even if they have to get protable power.

I think that after tomorrow, peoples minds may turn to something else besides football season openers down here.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 28th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Man if power is up, the games will go on. People in La are football crazy.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 28th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Its difficult to tell, but Tulane, Nichols and Southeastern LA should be effected the most.

I think Tulane is on the road for the 1st 2 weeks, and Southern and LSU should be far enough away. I guess Tulane's stadium, the Superdome could still be being used as a refugee camp by the time Tulane has a home game. It might effect the Saints before anyone else.

I think Southern Miss will have their power restored by week two (Tulane), even if they have to get protable power.

I think that after tomorrow, peoples minds may turn to something else besides football season openers down here.
Yea you are right. SU,Grambling, McNeese, La. Tech, ULM,ULL should be fine. LSU might have problems with the construction project that is not complete. Completion for the project was expected the week of the Tennesse game, and habitable for the first game, but now and no telling whats going to happen.

JaxSinfonian
August 29th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I don't know how much of it is hype, but some stories I've read predict that New Orleans as we know it may cease to exist. A major city under seven feet of sewage-infested water, loaded with chemicals from nearby petroleum-processing plants, and coffins from the city's famous cemetaries floating around ... all bowled-in by the levees that were supposed to keep water out.

Even if none of that comes to pass, this is not going to be pleasant to look at on Tuesday. Close friends of mine on the Florida coast were emotionally drained and exhausted two years in a row after Ivan & Dennis, even though their property was fine. The last thing anyone in the panhandle would have been interested in then was a football game. I imagine the folks on the bayou will be in even worse shape.

Black and Gold Express
August 29th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I don't know how much of it is hype, but some stories I've read predict that New Orleans as we know it may cease to exist. A major city under seven feet of sewage-infested water, loaded with chemicals from nearby petroleum-processing plants, and coffins from the city's famous cemetaries floating around ... all bowled-in by the levees that were supposed to keep water out.

Even if none of that comes to pass, this is not going to be pleasant to look at on Tuesday. Close friends of mine on the Florida coast were emotionally drained and exhausted two years in a row after Ivan & Dennis, even though their property was fine. The last thing anyone in the panhandle would have been interested in then was a football game. I imagine the folks on the bayou will be in even worse shape.

Looks like New Orleans is going to be spared the worst of it. There will be a lot of flooding I imagine, but they are going to miss the worst of the winds. Biloxi, MS is not the primary target. At least the winds died down to 140. Those two events combined have definitely spared us from the worst case scenario for New Orleans.

According to MSNBC (0930 EDT), the roof of the SuperDome just came off in a few small (~9 foot) places, and rain is coming in there. :eek:

I won't be surprised to see games cancelled this next week at the least.

McTailGator
August 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Looks like New Orleans is going to be spared the worst of it. There will be a lot of flooding I imagine, but they are going to miss the worst of the winds. Biloxi, MS is not the primary target. At least the winds died down to 140. Those two events combined have definitely spared us from the worst case scenario for New Orleans.

According to MSNBC (0930 EDT), the roof of the SuperDome just came off in a few small (~9 foot) places, and rain is coming in there. :eek:

I won't be surprised to see games cancelled this next week at the least.

News repot just stated a Levee failure in NO just occured. The water is coming in now.

buckp
August 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
News repot just stated a Levee failure in NO just occured. The water is coming in now.

I guess "Go Deep!" will have a whole new meaning....;)

http://www.ajacob.com/events/Aaron_Bachelor_Party_2003/Web_water_football.jpg

Eagle_77
August 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Well lets all remeber these people in there time and need and pray that the worst doesnt happen.