PDA

View Full Version : Delta St mouthing off to JSU?

SU Jag
August 23rd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Seems like the green and white dudes from Cleveland have a lot to say about their chances against JSU. Their taking shots at not at JSU, but the SWAC, and even the SWAC bands!xeekx Beat the living isht out of them JSU, and Sonic Boom I know that DSU band aint that good but blow their arse back to Clevelandxnodx

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=1774

jstate83
August 23rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Let them have their fun.xlolx
They honestly think Valley is a guage on how well they will do.xlolx
2nd year rebuilding and JSU's gonna tear them a new one. xlolx

And that fool talking about dangerous city.
Typical small town crit........................Stay home.............Who cares.
We host 30, 40, and 50 thousand people crowds and nobody has died yet comming to a JSU game. xlolx

Besides......................Anybody that claims this as their mascot can't be taken seriously.xlolx
http://www.deltastate.edu/images/housing/Okra.JPG
Bumpkin don't even have on shoe's.

McNeese_beat
August 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Let them have their fun.xlolx
They honestly think Valley is a guage on how well they will do.xlolx
2nd year rebuilding and JSU's gonna tear them a new one. xlolx

And that fool talking about dangerous city.
Typical small town crit........................Stay home.............Who cares.
We host 30, 40, and 50 thousand people crowds and nobody has died yet comming to a JSU game. xlolx

Besides......................Anybody that claims this as their mascot can't be taken seriously.xlolx

What the hell is that? A giant zucchini?

Lionsrking
August 23rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
What the hell is that? A giant zucchini?

Delta State is unofficially known as the Fightin' Okra...for real. They sell a lot of apparel...I even bought a hat when I was up there this spring.

chattanoogamocs
August 23rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
They are "Statesman", but, I kid you not...the unofficial mascot is "the fighting okra"

Guess they didn't want to be outdone by the Banana Slugs :)

3rd Coast Tiger
August 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
No, it's a stick of ocra.

jstate83
August 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
They are called the Statesmen, but, I kid you not...they are also "the fighting okra"

Exactly. xlolx

Lionsrking
August 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Seems like the green and white dudes from Cleveland have a lot to say about their chances against JSU. Their taking shots at not at JSU, but the SWAC, and even the SWAC bands!xeekx Beat the living isht out of them JSU, and Sonic Boom I know that DSU band aint that good but blow their arse back to Clevelandxnodx

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=1774

Delta State has an excellent chance to beat Jackson State.

lizrdgizrd
August 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Fighting Okra! That's freakin' AWESOME! xeekx xhurrayx

mcveyrl
August 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM

Looks like the "fighting angry asian ocra"

Is it just me, or do the teeth and "eyeballs" look like they were drawn with one of those think stinking magic markers?

Also, if your ocra has red hands...do not eat it.

Retro
August 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Delta state did beat Stephen F. Austin and North Carolina Central last year..

Punchykky
August 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Delta State has an excellent chance to beat Jackson State.

What makes you think Delta State can beat Jackson State?xconfusedx

jstate83
August 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM

I want to know also cause I don't see Delta State beating a 4 win SFA team last year as problem for JSU even if this is just year 2 in rebuilding.xsmhx

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
I want to know also cause I don't see Delta State beating a 4 win SFA team last year as problem for JSU even if this is just year 2 in rebuilding.xsmhx

SFA caught fire later in the season, but regardless...Delta State beat what at that point was a mediocre SLC team...and we have seen mediocre SLC team teams beat SWAC squads before...

The SWAC has losses to Div II and NAIA squads (okay, PVA&M didn't officially lose as they couldn't finish the game, but come on now) under their belt from last year. It feeds optimism for the Div II school...even the top FCS conferences lose to Div II schools, but the SWAC can not be considered even in the middle of the FCS food chain...

Mr. Tiger
August 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Delta State has a new head coach and lost several assistants. They also loss their star QB. They return a lot of players, but those key losses will hurt in an early season game. I respect DSU, but Jackson State will win this one by double digits.

Lionsrking
August 23rd, 2007, 11:25 PM

Because I'm familiar with both programs and I would give the edge to the Fightin' Okra. DSU nearly beat Texas State in '05, the year they went to the semis and beat a very talented SFA team last year. They're a perennial D-II power and a cut above just about anyone in the SWAC. I agree JSU is on the rise and DSU is in the midst of the coaching change but I would still take the Statesmen if forced to make a pick. Just my opinion.

BEAR
August 24th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I thought Delta State was in Okra-homa! xlolx xlolx

JK. Delta State, a former Gulf South Conference foe of UCA's, is typically a very good team year in and year out. They won the DII National title in 2000 and tend to have very good records. If it wasn't for the fact they have North Alabama and Valdosta in the conference, they would win the conference every year IMO.

JSU will have their hands full with that team.

But I still don't get how a conference can have a
1. Fighting Okra
2. Wonderboy
3. Boll Weevil
4. Mule Rider
and a
5. Blazer (jacket or firedude) in it and not expect a ton of laughs from the outside world. xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
August 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM
FIGHTIN' OKRA???????...........AN' YA'LL CHUCKLED AT.....FIGHTIN' BLUE HENS????????????

mikebigg
August 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Yall sleeping on Jackson State but trust me that's gonna change... I love messing with the Jackson posters (especially on TSPN) but I got to admit that they now have a coach who is gonna awaken and restore that program. Rick Comegys knows talent and can recruit...plus he's proven that he knows how to coach that talent.

The last truly good JSU team was in 1999 who lost to SU in the inaugural SCG...those were some of the last of the guys recruited and coached by the late James "Big Daddy" Carson. Prior to becoming HC in 1992, Carson was the defensive coordinator and had some monster defensive squads. Robert Hughes replaced him and didn't get the job done...then they made the mistake of hiring James Bell who almost destroyed that program. Comegys is gonna turn that around... starting with Delta State.

http://www.onnidan.com/99-00/news/jsu1008.htm

Jackson State University Mourns The Passing Of James Carson
October 8, 1999

The Jackson State University family mourns the passing of longtime football coach James"Big Daddy" Carson. Carson, who stepped downed as the Tigers' head football coach in Mayof this year because of health reasons, passed away at12:12 a.m., Thursday, October 7. He was 59.

Carson, who underwent surgery last April, served as the Tigers' head football coach from 1992 through the 1998 season. He compiled a 54-25-1 record while winning two SouthwesternAthletic Conference championships (1995 and 1996) and his teams made, three trips to theNCAA Division I-AA Playoffs. His best season was 1996 when the Tigers finished the yearwith a 10-2 record.

MR. CHICKEN
August 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM
J-MAN 83.......NEVERAH SEEN NO OKRA...WEAR SHOES.........:p....DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

McNeese75
August 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM
:D Looks like the beginning of a good gumbo JSU xnodx

jstate83
August 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
SFA caught fire later in the season, but regardless...Delta State beat what at that point was a mediocre SLC team...and we have seen mediocre SLC team teams beat SWAC squads before...

The SWAC has losses to Div II and NAIA squads (okay, PVA&M didn't officially lose as they couldn't finish the game, but come on now) under their belt from last year. It feeds optimism for the Div II school...even the top FCS conferences lose to Div II schools, but the SWAC can not be considered even in the middle of the FCS food chain...

Yeah right.
And ya'll are top of the food chain.

When Delta State take thier butt whippin', then you will be saying that Delta State got loucky against SFA and is not really that good. xlolx

Ya'll act like WE have never heard or seen Delta State play before. xlolx

Mr. Tiger
August 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yall sleeping on Jackson State but trust me that's gonna change... I love messing with the Jackson posters (especially on TSPN) but I got to admit that they now have a coach who is gonna awaken and restore that program. Rick Comegys knows talent and can recruit...plus he's proven that he knows how to coach that talent.

The last truly good JSU team was in 1999 who lost to SU in the inaugural SCG...those were some of the last of the guys recruited and coached by the late James "Big Daddy" Carson. Prior to becoming HC in 1992, Carson was the defensive coordinator and had some monster defensive squads. Robert Hughes replaced him and didn't get the job done...then they made the mistake of hiring James Bell who almost destroyed that program. Comegys is gonna turn that around... starting with Delta State.

October 8, 1999

The Jackson State University family mourns the passing of longtime football coach James"Big Daddy" Carson. Carson, who stepped downed as the Tigers' head football coach in Mayof this year because of health reasons, passed away at12:12 a.m., Thursday, October 7. He was 59.

Carson, who underwent surgery last April, served as the Tigers' head football coach from 1992 through the 1998 season. He compiled a 54-25-1 record while winning two SouthwesternAthletic Conference championships (1995 and 1996) and his teams made, three trips to theNCAA Division I-AA Playoffs. His best season was 1996 when the Tigers finished the yearwith a 10-2 record.

xthumbsupx You are correct sir.

jstate83
August 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM
:D Looks like the beginning of a good gumbo JSU xnodx

Yep.................Delta State's bringing the OKRA. xlolx
JSU is going to be doing the cooking and eating. xlolx

jstate83
August 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Because I'm familiar with both programs and I would give the edge to the Fightin' Okra. DSU nearly beat Texas State in '05, the year they went to the semis and beat a very talented SFA team last year. They're a perennial D-II power and a cut above just about anyone in the SWAC. I agree JSU is on the rise and DSU is in the midst of the coaching change but I would still take the Statesmen if forced to make a pick. Just my opinion.

Right click.......................save. xlolx

jstate83
August 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM

October 8, 1999

xthumbsupx You are correct sir.

And recruiting TALENT has been priorty #1 since Bell was dismissed. xwhistlex
But hey.
We so far below Delta State, we should not show up at our own stadium. xlolx
I wasted $50 on a new BLUE Jersey for the BLUE OUT. xlolx

JohnStOnge
August 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
My take is that I have no idea as to who will win this game. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the stronger programs in D-II and those in FCS. Delta State has been a fairly strong program in D-II.

All I'll say is that I sure wouldn't be surprised or think of it as a huge upset if Delta State wins this game.