PDA

View Full Version : Wofford's vaunted passing attack

terrierbob
August 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
This surprised me as much as the 30-3 baseball score. It's an account of a scrimmage last week in Terriertown:

"The receiver corps played an integral part in the Terriers passing for 379 yards in last Saturday's intra squad scrimmage. Junior Andy Strickland paced the group with nine catches, 79 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore Justice Joslin hauled in four receptions for a team-high 89 yards".

Eyes of Old Main
August 23rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Seems like Wofford has a passing-oriented practice or two every fall. You always hear Coach Ayers say that if they had to throw, they could, so I guess this is part of that.

While I hope we never get into a situation where we have to deviate from our standard game plan so much as to have to throw this much, it is good to see them practicing it for those emergencies and also so we can slip one in one somebody every once and a while along the way.

PurpleNights
August 23rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
This surprised me as much as the 30-3 baseball score. It's an account of a scrimmage last week in Terriertown:

"The receiver corps played an integral part in the Terriers passing for 379 yards in last Saturday's intra squad scrimmage. Junior Andy Strickland paced the group with nine catches, 79 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore Justice Joslin hauled in four receptions for a team-high 89 yards".

No "smack" here, just wondering if the offense was that good or the defense that bad?

For our sake, I hope it's the latter....:D

terrierbob
August 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
No "smack" here, just wondering if the offense was that good or the defense that bad?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
Maybe Ayers had the white offense playing the gold offense. Sort of like regular season NBA games.

walliver
August 23rd, 2007, 03:06 PM
That was just Mike Ayers getting all the passing out of the way before the season starts. Now we can go back to running all the time.

The numbers are a little worrisome since our defense usually shuts down our offense fairly well. (or maybe we're going to score 50+ points a game like the old Georgia Southern offense)

FormerPokeCenter
August 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
That was just Mike Ayers getting all the passing out of the way before the season starts. Now we can go back to running all the time.

The numbers are a little worrisome since our defense usually shuts down our offense fairly well. (or maybe we're going to score 50+ points a game like the old Georgia Southern offense)

Speaking of Wofford, can anybody tell me if there's a kid named Gonsoulin on the roster these days? I think he signed with Wofford a couple of years ago out of HS. His father was a lineman for McNeese back in the day....

terrierbob
August 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Class:Jr.
Hometown: Tulsa

DE 5-11, 250
James Henry Gonsoulin

Part-time starter seeking more playing time as a fourth-year junior . . . Hails from an outstanding high school program . . . Has improved his change of direction and quickness . . . A great leader both on and off the field . . . Plays hard every play . . . Much more disciplined player than he was as a rookie . . .

Born Oct. 15, 1984 in New Orleans . . . Son of Jim Gonsoulin and Dianna Chenevert . . . His mother has relocated to Spartanburg after being displaced by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in September 2005 . . . She is the donations coordinator for Habitat for Humanity in Spartanburg.

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Class:Jr.
Hometown: Tulsa

DE 5-11, 250
James Henry Gonsoulin

Part-time starter seeking more playing time as a fourth-year junior . . . Hails from an outstanding high school program . . . Has improved his change of direction and quickness . . . A great leader both on and off the field . . . Plays hard every play . . . Much more disciplined player than he was as a rookie . . .

Born Oct. 15, 1984 in New Orleans . . . Son of Jim Gonsoulin and Dianna Chenevert . . . His mother has relocated to Spartanburg after being displaced by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in September 2005 . . . She is the donations coordinator for Habitat for Humanity in Spartanburg.

Excellent, thanks ;)

89Hen
August 24th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Seems like Wofford has a passing-oriented practice or two every fall. You always hear Coach Ayers say that if they had to throw, they could, so I guess this is part of that.
Eyes, I don't know much of WC other than their trip to Newark in 2003, but in that year, they certainly couldn't pass... and they had to. I know we had an exceptional defense those playoffs, but it was painful to watch WC try to throw the ball. Could this be a real change in philosophy since then?

citdog
August 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
is that what ayers aka the karate kid calls it when he has the tenn. quickstep?

T-Dog
August 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Eyes, I don't know much of WC other than their trip to Newark in 2003, but in that year, they certainly couldn't pass... and they had to. I know we had an exceptional defense those playoffs, but it was painful to watch WC try to throw the ball. Could this be a real change in philosophy since then?

Nothing has changed since then. xthumbsupx

Eyes of Old Main
August 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Yeah, you guys had our number that game, especially from the midway point of the third quarter on. At least we fared better than your other playoff opponents. We looked better throwing the ball against most other teams that year, you guys just spent the whole game in our backfield which limited what we could do. That's why the Hens were the champs that season.

I won't say that we are going West Coast Offense or anything, but traditionally, Wofford has passed more or less based off personnel. This season, we have probably the best crop of WR's we've had during Ayers' tenure so there is some thought that we'll throw a little more.