PDA

View Full Version : AGS Pick 5 Survival League - Week 4, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
September 19th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Well, it appears that this survival league is way too easy...at least through Week 3. Every active player had 5 out of 5 correct picks and gets to use their “Keep” pick of the week for later use. xsalutex This was not completely unexpected, as there are still 9 weeks (45 picks) left in the season. I suspect this might become a bit more challenging as conference play begins.

The leaderboard (link in my signature) has been updated to reflect Week 3 results...no change from last week, but the available teams list has been updated for everybody (remember, if you had a perfect week, you get to use that pick again, even if it is crossed out on the “Available Teams” list).

Below is the link for making Week 4 picks. I hope everyone is enjoying the game so far.

MAKE WEEK 4 SURVIVAL PICKS HERE
(https://forms.gle/ZPeS7FENmGqXQNHH6)
DEADLINE: THU, SEP 23 @ 5 PM ET

POD Knows
September 19th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Well, it appears that this survival league is way too easy...at least through Week 3. Every active player had 5 out of 5 correct picks and gets to use their “Keep” pick of the week for later use. xsalutex This was not completely unexpected, as there are still 9 weeks (45 picks) left in the season. I suspect this might become a bit more challenging as conference play begins.

The leaderboard (link in my signature) has been updated to reflect Week 3 results...no change from last week, but the available teams list has been updated for everybody (remember, if you had a perfect week, you get to use that pick again, even if it is crossed out on the “Available Teams” list).

Below is the link for making Week 4 picks. I hope everyone is enjoying the game so far.

OK, I have a question, I had 100% in week 1 and 3 and my "Keep" picks were North Dakota and Jacksonville State but it shows I can't use them again. Is this correct, I have only used these two picks once. Am I missing something??

Preferred Walk-On
September 19th, 2021, 11:11 AM
OK, I have a question, I had 100% in week 1 and 3 and my "Keep" picks were North Dakota and Jacksonville State but it shows I can't use them again. Is this correct, I have only used these two picks once. Am I missing something??

Current limitation of Google Sheets (at least for my skill level) - I am trying to figure out a workaround.

Your two "Keep" teams from Week 1 and 3 are both still AVAILABLE (Blue highlight in "Week X" column supersedes Red strikethrough in "Available Teams Remaining").

POD Knows
September 19th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Current limitation of Google Sheets (at least for my skill level) - I am trying to figure out a workaround.

Your two "Keep" teams from Week 1 and 3 are both still AVAILABLE (Blue highlight in "Week X" column supersedes Red strikethrough in "Available Teams Remaining").Sweet, thanks and thanks for doing this, it looks like a nightmare to maintain.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2021, 11:56 AM

I thought I went the "safe" route this week but that Maine game had me scared. Luckily they got it.

KPSUL
September 19th, 2021, 12:38 PM
There were a bunch of games going in that looked like sure picks, but didn't turn out that way. For me that included UNH @ Lafayette, Dartmouth at Valpo and JSU at home vs. No Alabama.

Preferred Walk-On
September 19th, 2021, 02:51 PM
There were a bunch of games going in that looked like sure picks, but didn't turn out that way. For me that included UNH @ Lafayette, Dartmouth at Valpo and JSU at home vs. No Alabama.

Was sweating out two of those games, AND Eastern Washington @ Western Illinois was a bit more interesting than I needed it to be.

Based on the Dartmouth and Yale games, it appears that the Ivy is a one-bid league...oh, wait a minute. Sorry Ivies, just couldn't help myself. ;)

POD Knows
September 19th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Was sweating out two of those games, AND Eastern Washington @ Western Illinois was a bit more interesting than I needed it to be.

Based on the Dartmouth and Yale games, it appears that the Ivy is a one-bid league...oh, wait a minute. Sorry Ivies, just couldn't help myself. ;)All the Ivy teams suck, prove me wrong, I am going to paint their entire conference with their showing to date and it is garbage, good luck breaking the top 25, not that they care or that it makes a difference.

HensRock
September 19th, 2021, 04:18 PM
I thought by the rules, it might be too easy, but thei was an easy week. There were a lot of high-spread games and very few upsets. As we start into conference play it's going to get interesting.\I'm enjoying it. Thanks again for running it, P.W.O.

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2021, 04:59 PM
The big cupcakes are getting a little bit more sparse now But the menu this week was like a Smorgasburg

KPSUL
September 19th, 2021, 05:35 PM
All the Ivy teams suck, prove me wrong, I am going to paint their entire conference with their showing to date and it is garbage, good luck breaking the top 25, not that they care or that it makes a difference.

For some reason, Massey and Sagarin love the "Elite Eight" recently. It might be the result of the insular schedule they play, the fact that they rarely play FBS teams, but for whatever reason the top teams in the Ivy teams are frequently ranked higher by those algorithm driven rankings. Some voters put a lot of weight on Massey and Sagarin ratings. Personally I don't. The AGS conference pick'ems are normally more accurate than they are.

POD Knows
September 19th, 2021, 05:48 PM
For some reason, Massey and Sagarin love the "Elite Eight" recently. It might be the result of the insular schedule they play, the fact that they rarely play FBS teams, but for whatever reason the top teams in the Ivy teams are frequently ranked higher by those algorithm driven rankings. Some voters put a lot of weight on Massey and Sagarin ratings. Personally I don't. The AGS conference pick'ems are normally more accurate than they are.Yea but sometimes they can show up for the one weekend outside of their own circle jerk but this past weekend they lost to everyone with a pulse.

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2021, 07:13 PM
All the Ivy teams suck, prove me wrong, I am going to paint their entire conference with their showing to date and it is garbage, good luck breaking the top 25, not that they care or that it makes a difference.

Princeton is good, Dartmouth looked awful but they haven't played for 2 years.... but that is not the Dartmouth I remember from a few years ago, they do play UNH in a few weeks....

Yea, I wish they would participate with the rest of FCS ..... let's find out once and for all

Jacob Birmelin #3 He looked good for Princeton

Preferred Walk-On
September 19th, 2021, 10:39 PM

Your two "Keep" teams from Week 1 and 3 are both still AVAILABLE (Blue highlight in "Week X" column supersedes Red strikethrough in "Available Teams Remaining").

OK everybody. I was tired of not being able to figure out how to work around "Keep" teams showing up as unavailable. I am happy to say that after about two hours of work this evening trying different equations in Google Sheets and revising conditional formatting for everyone's individual sheets, I have figured it out.

The link in my signature is now for the revised sheet, wherein if a team is shown as not available, it is NOT available. Furthermore, if you earned a keeper for another week, it will now show as AVAILABLE until you use it a second time.

I repeat, the list of teams available now correctly shows the available and unavailable teams. Carry on.

Daytripper
September 20th, 2021, 05:55 AM
Just FYI, on the form for picking this weeks winners there is no option for Jackson State.

Preferred Walk-On
September 20th, 2021, 06:12 AM
Just FYI, on the form for picking this weeks winners there is no option for Jackson State.

That is because they are playing Delta State (not FCS or FBS). I removed all teams from the list that are playing D2 or lower competition (as per the rules) so that players could not pick them by accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2021, 08:35 AM
OK everybody. I was tired of not being able to figure out how to work around "Keep" teams showing up as unavailable. I am happy to say that after about two hours of work this evening trying different equations in Google Sheets and revising conditional formatting for everyone's individual sheets, I have figured it out.

The link in my signature is now for the revised sheet, wherein if a team is shown as not available, it is NOT available. Furthermore, if you earned a keeper for another week, it will now show as AVAILABLE until you use it a second time.

I repeat, the list of teams available now correctly shows the available and unavailable teams. Carry on.

impressive, You’re kinda like the best worker at the office where everybody keeps piling work on because he’s the best

HensRock
September 20th, 2021, 09:24 AM
impressive, You’re kinda like the best worker at the office where everybody keeps piling work on because he’s the best

Yeah, Usually, that guy is ME. So I really appreciate PWO going the extra mile here!

You're the MAN, PWO!

Daytripper
September 20th, 2021, 10:29 AM
That is because they are playing Delta State (not FCS or FBS). I removed all teams from the list that are playing D2 or lower competition (as per the rules) so that players could not pick them by accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Thanks.

Preferred Walk-On
September 20th, 2021, 05:39 PM
It was pointed out to me by an astute poster that there is a Sunday game that ESPN lists as Week 5 (instead of Week 4). This potentially affects picks, because if it were a Week 5 game, then it would occur before the deadline for that week's picks. I have checked the weekly schedule for the remainder of the season, and this is the only Sunday game listed.

Therefore, the Sun, Sep 26 game should be included as part of Week 4, as per the Week 4 schedule at FBSchedules.com (https://fbschedules.com/fcs-schedule/).

Preferred Walk-On
September 21st, 2021, 08:45 AM
Bump.

-----

Also, received picks from:

McNeese75
JALMOND
POD Knows
MTfan4life
Daytripper
JacksFan40
HensRock
Preferred Walk-On
caribbeanhen

NY Crusader 2010
September 21st, 2021, 09:10 AM
For some reason, Massey and Sagarin love the "Elite Eight" recently. It might be the result of the insular schedule they play, the fact that they rarely play FBS teams, but for whatever reason the top teams in the Ivy teams are frequently ranked higher by those algorithm driven rankings. Some voters put a lot of weight on Massey and Sagarin ratings. Personally I don't. The AGS conference pick'ems are normally more accurate than they are.

Early in the season, computer rankings mean less wrt to the Ivies because they are always 2, sometimes 3 weeks behind the rest of Division I. So they're less "connected" early on the season.

But by the end of the season, there's no reason to think they're getting overly favored in the rankings. Sure their schedules may be "insular" in that they largely play the same schedules year-over-year. But every Ivy still plays 3 non-conference games, most of which are PL or CAA and connected to the rest of the landscape. The Ivies also play FBS opponents rarely but they also play Division II opponents even less. Almost never unless its an emergency replacement. So, on average, Ivy schools play just as many FCS out-of-conference games than members of other conferences.

Preferred Walk-On
September 22nd, 2021, 08:56 AM
Wednesday Bump.

DEADLINE: THU, SEP 23 @ 5 PM ET (TOMORROW)

-----

Also, received picks from:

McNeese75
JALMOND
POD Knows
MTfan4life
Daytripper
JacksFan40
HensRock
Preferred Walk-On
caribbeanhen
OhioHen
Knit35
TheValleyRaider
KPSUL

This constitutes 13 of the 18 active players.

OhioHen
September 24th, 2021, 05:41 AM
I survived last night's game to keep a perfect week possible, but just barely.

Preferred Walk-On
September 24th, 2021, 06:50 AM
I survived last night's game to keep a perfect week possible, but just barely.

Was following the score thread. Sounds like it was a heck of a game.

HensRock
September 24th, 2021, 11:48 AM
PWO, Check your PM's. NCAA site incorrectly listed SE Louisiana hosting NW State tomorrow and I picked SELA. Would like to change that pick to Montana State Bobcats if possible.
Thanks!

Really noticing that NCAA site is NOT reliable this season!

OhioHen
September 24th, 2021, 01:03 PM
PWO, Check your PM's. NCAA site incorrectly listed SE Louisiana hosting NW State tomorrow and I picked SELA. Would like to change that pick to Montana State Bobcats if possible.
Thanks!

The original schedules for both teams DID include a game this weekend. The NCAA site has obviously not kept up with reality.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Would like to change that pick to Montana State Bobcats if possible.

You will lose. xnodx :D

Preferred Walk-On
September 24th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Thanks!

Because I want to win fair-and-square, I have accommodated the request (check your PMs). ;)

Also, in the future, I plan to remove teams that are IDLE from the choice list.

HensRock
September 24th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Out of my high respect for JALMOND and his Vikings (and the fact that I've already used and re-used Montana St. so it would be illegal)...
Please change it to Harvard Crimson. Last change - I promise! Sorry to be such a pain!

OhioHen
September 25th, 2021, 06:39 AM
Out of my high respect for JALMOND and his Vikings (and the fact that I've already used and re-used Montana St. so it would be illegal)...
Please change it to Harvard Crimson. Last change - I promise! Sorry to be such a pain!
Under the rules that selection is on you, is it not?

Of course, PWO is the final arbiter of all things game related.

Edit - none of this matters. According to PWO's tracker, you picked Montana not Montana State

Preferred Walk-On
September 25th, 2021, 10:47 AM
Under the rules that selection is on you, is it not?

Of course, PWO is the final arbiter of all things game related.

Edit - none of this matters. According to PWO's tracker, you picked Montana not Montana State

I decided to err on the side of one-time (or two-time) leniency, due to the fact that this is a new game this year. I appreciate everyone that has participated thus far and held to the deadlines and "rules". If HensRock wins it, we'll have to tag that with an asterisk. ;)

MTfan4life
September 26th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Why do some people just have 4 picks some weeks?

caribbeanhen
September 26th, 2021, 09:18 PM

I noticed that a few weeks ago as well

MR. CHICKEN
September 26th, 2021, 09:26 PM

.....IN MAH CASE.......WEEK #1........MAH PICK UH DAYTON.....OVERAH........ROBERT MORRIS...........THE GAME WAS CANCELLED...AH DIDN'T GET AN ALTERNATE PICK.......NOR WAS IT NEEDED........AS AH ACED DUH OTHERAH FOUR.......&......WAS ALLOWED MAH KEEPER PICK.....VILLANOVA.........WHICH AH PROMPTLAH.......USED IN WEEK #2............BRAWK!

MTfan4life
September 26th, 2021, 09:30 PM
.....IN MAH CASE.......WEEK #1........MAH PICK UH DAYTON.....OVERAH........ROBERT MORRIS...........THE GAME WAS CANCELLED...AH DIDN'T GET AN ALTERNATE PICK.......NOR WAS IT NEEDED........AS AH ACED DUH OTHERAH FOUR.......&......WAS ALLOWED MAH KEEPER PICK.....VILLANOVA.........WHICH AH PROMPTLAH.......USED IN WEEK #2............BRAWK!

There were no games cancelled this week, though? That's basically an advantage because the person isn't having to use up another team. I had Georgetown over Marist and switched my pick to Tennessee State over Grambling when that game got canceled. I guess I should have just left it blank and taken the perfect week. I figured that was a disqualifier.

MR. CHICKEN
September 26th, 2021, 09:33 PM
There were no games cancelled this week, though? That's basically an advantage because the person isn't having to use up another team.

.....OR DISADVANTAGE...........IFIN' YA OWNLAH GET TWO UH FOUR RIGHT..........GAME OVER!.............BRAWK!

Preferred Walk-On
September 27th, 2021, 09:06 AM

I noticed that a few weeks ago as well

There were no games cancelled this week, though? That's basically an advantage because the person isn't having to use up another team. I had Georgetown over Marist and switched my pick to Tennessee State over Grambling when that game got canceled. I guess I should have just left it blank and taken the perfect week. I figured that was a disqualifier.

.....OR DISADVANTAGE...........IFIN' YA OWNLAH GET TWO UH FOUR RIGHT..........GAME OVER!.............BRAWK!

I appreciate the observation and question(s). Cancellations after the deadline are simply removed, resulting in the player having one less pick(s) that week. One might consider that advantageous (less picks used up) or disadvantageous (less error to achieve >50%), but that is currently the way I have been dealing with it. Since we are in COVID times, I thought this was necessary and had mentioned earlier in the season how we might deal with this.

Regarding some who have had 4 picks otherwise (without cancellations), these were picks that were invalid due to reusing teams incorrectly. I simply went in and edited these as "no pick" (similar to a cancellation). I suppose I could have edited these as a loss. However, this really doesn't change the scoring, as a player with 3 out of 4 correct (game removed) or 3 out of 5 correct (invalid game counted as loss) still advances, and the same effect on outcome applies if they only had two wins that week (they would be eliminated in either scenario). The only "advantage" here is that one additional team remains on the roster of teams available, which they would have had anyway due to picking a duplicate incorrectly.

Long story, longer, I am erring on the side of a bit of leniency this year, being the first year we have tried this. I suspect I will be able to take what I learn from this challenge and apply it to next year's game. I am open to suggestions on how to treat some of these issues, but I did not want to rule with an iron fist this year. However, I did set deadlines and use a form, because I also did not want to have to chase down people's picks. I think there is some necessary give-and-take this year and room for improvement on the game for next year (especially with suggestions from players in this year's challenge).

MR. CHICKEN
September 27th, 2021, 12:34 PM

.......ACTUALLY.....THIS IS UH REAL INTERESTIN' GAME..........STRATEGY ANGLES......ALL OVERAH DUH PLACE...........TRYIN' TA GET 3 GAMES CORRECT/WHILST NOT USIN' TOO MANY PLAYOFF CALIBER'S......BRAWK!

Preferred Walk-On
September 27th, 2021, 01:08 PM

.......ACTUALLY.....THIS IS UH REAL INTERESTIN' GAME..........STRATEGY ANGLES......ALL OVERAH DUH PLACE...........TRYIN' TA GET 3 GAMES CORRECT/WHILST NOT USIN' TOO MANY PLAYOFF CALIBER'S......BRAWK!

I just wanted to clarify that Chalupa Batman's game goes through the playoffs, so keeping playoff calibers in your back pocket will be important for sure in his game.

The Pick 5 Survival League will only go through the end of the regular season, so keeping playoff teams maybe becomes less important here. That said, I have been trying to put playoff teams as "keepers"; however, my strategy is failing, as I cannot seem to get all 5 picks correct each week. ;)

MR. CHICKEN
September 27th, 2021, 01:14 PM
I just wanted to clarify that Chalupa Batman's game goes through the playoffs, so keeping playoff calibers in your back pocket will be important for sure in his game.

The Pick 5 Survival League will only go through the end of the regular season, so keeping playoff teams maybe becomes less important here. That said, I have been trying to put playoff teams as "keepers"; however, my strategy is failing, as I cannot seem to get all 5 picks correct each week. ;)

....AH....OKAY.....GOT DUH GAMES MIXED UP........GOOD TA KNOW........AH'M IN ALL DUH GAMES HERE.....AN' DUH TWO POOLS @ GOHENS........NOT AS EASY....TO REMEMBERAH.... AS TIC-TAC-TOE.......BRAWK!

MTfan4life
September 27th, 2021, 10:24 PM

I was just saying the same exact thing. Verbatim. xsmiley_wix