PDA

View Full Version : Alabama A&M/Bethune-Cookman

acbearkat
September 17th, 2021, 10:49 AM
For those of you who didn't watch the game last night, you missed a penalty fest. That game had a combined 25 penalties for 235 yards and a player ejected for targeting. Alabama A&M won 30-27. Alabama A&M had 11 penalties for 91 yards, plus a player ejected for targeting, and Bethune-Cookman had 14 penalties for 144 yards.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2021, 11:10 AM
NGL, I only clicked this thread because in the overview page the most recent thread in this part of the forum showed as "Alabama..." for me and I came here to say "**** the Tide" but now I see it is in fact not a thread about Alabama.

But still.... **** the Tide.

Libertine
September 17th, 2021, 01:29 PM
For those of you who didn't watch the game last night, you missed a penalty fest. That game had a combined 25 penalties for 235 yards and a player ejected for targeting. Alabama A&M won 30-27. Alabama A&M had 11 penalties for 91 yards, plus a player ejected for targeting, and Bethune-Cookman had 14 penalties for 144 yards.

That game was frustrating to watch. I've never seen so many flailing arm tackles and poor defensive coaching decisions in a D1 college game. A&M was so much better than B-C in the first half but couldn't turn red zone opportunities into touchdowns and simply refused to tackle on special teams. In the second half, B-C made the game ugly and A&M was happy to oblige. They gave B-C a 1st and goal situation by body-slamming the running back well after the whistle had blown and directly in front of the center judge. On the next drive, one A&M player committed back to back unsportsmanlike conduct penalties to singlehandedly put B-C in scoring position. That same player had already tweaked his knee in the first half while trying to do some kind of death dive onto the pile but missed. Fortunately for A&M, B-C's quarterback was objectively terrible and threw the game away at the end.

As for coaching, why was B-C going for two late when down by 3? It's still a one-score game whether or not you convert, so why not just kick it? Why give A&M's DL -- who was in the B-C backfield all night -- another needless shot at your panicking QB? Also, when it's 3rd and 3 and the offense comes out in an empty set, why were they rushing three and dropping eight into coverage seven yards deep? That's an obvious set up for a QB draw and you're just handing the A&M offense a first down, which is exactly what happened on three separate occasions.

Still, the most frustrating thing was how Jay Walker kept referring to these teams as "two of the premier offenses in all of the FCS" which, honestly, makes me wonder if that's something he's contractually obligated to say every week.

kdinva
September 17th, 2021, 02:45 PM
That game was frustrating to watch......Still, the most frustrating thing was how Jay Walker kept referring to these teams as "two of the premier offenses in all of the FCS" which, honestly, makes me wonder if that's something he's contractually obligated to say every week.

xnottalkingx