View Full Version : Austin Peay to ASUN

aceinthehole
September 16th, 2021, 01:21 PM
multiple industry sources tell Extra Points that Austin Peay is expected to join the ASUN, with an official announcement potentially coming as soon as Monday.

This move would give the ASUN six FCS football playing members

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1438566129304231938 (https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1438566129304231938)

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2021, 01:24 PM
I wonder if WIU could be going to the OVC then, to replace them and keep them at 7 full members for football and 10 members for basketball.

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Will they pay the OVC's exit fee???

Mocs123
September 16th, 2021, 01:53 PM
That's a good move for the A-Sun. They had seemed to stagnate and I was worried they'd have to pick up a DII or someone out of the footprint to get to six. This gives them a playoff autobid.

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Will they pay the OVC's exit fee???

And no grant of rights, either. xlolx

Dane96
September 16th, 2021, 02:05 PM
That's a pretty good football conference once it's official for the autobid:

EKU
JSU
Central Ark
Kennesaw
Austin Peay
N. Alabama

Have to presume they go after one or two more teams.

atthewbon
September 16th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Seems like a very good move for the ASUN. But it’s really bad for an already struggling OVC, at least football wise.

atthewbon
September 16th, 2021, 02:09 PM
I wonder if WIU could be going to the OVC then, to replace them and keep them at 7 full members for football and 10 members for basketball.

That could make a lot of sense. If WIU leaves I wonder in Northern Colorado joins the (Summit/MVFC) or Augustana joins (Summit/Pioneer).

ST_Lawson
September 16th, 2021, 02:14 PM
My first thought when I saw this news...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/555/872/b49.jpg

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2021, 02:27 PM
That could make a lot of sense. If WIU leaves I wonder in Northern Colorado joins the (Summit/MVFC) or Augustana joins (Summit/Pioneer).

I'd take Northern Colorado in a heartbeat over Augustana. Gives Denver a "natural" travel partner for the Summit and moves the conference in the right direction (geographically speaking). We would just need to 2 more football schools and convince UST to go scholarship football and we would 8 teams that play football and 12 teams total for a perfect basketball conference. It's a pipe dream, but it would elevate The Summit immediately. Had Central Arkansas been available, it would have been perfect for ORU travel partner too.

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2021, 02:32 PM
I'd take Northern Colorado in a heartbeat over Augustana. Gives Denver a "natural" travel partner for the Summit and moves the conference in the right direction (geographically speaking). We would just need to 2 more football schools and convince UST to go scholarship football and we would 8 teams that play football and 12 teams total for a perfect basketball conference. It's a pipe dream, but it would elevate The Summit immediately. Had Central Arkansas been available, it would have been perfect for ORU travel partner too.

Pipe dream, but if The Summit could lure the public MVC schools away (football ones that is), keep a combination of UST/ORU/Omaha/UMKC, that would be prime, but alas, the odds of that happening are about less than 0%.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2021, 02:33 PM
So does this move make the OVC worse than the SWAC?

I kinda feel like it does

Mocs123
September 16th, 2021, 02:43 PM
Murray State is decent as is MT-Martin, but aside from that the remaining OVC isn't very good.

atthewbon
September 16th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Yea I’d pick Northern Colorado way before Augustana. Football for the Summit league would be ideal for the long term stability but it doesn’t seem very likely to happen. Ideally we would get UNI (plus another public MVFC school) or the Montana schools but I highly doubt either of those happen (no incentive for those schools to leave where they currently are) but Northern Colorado could and it’d at least be a step in the right direction.

atthewbon
September 16th, 2021, 02:47 PM
So does this move make the OVC worse than the SWAC?

I kinda feel like it does

Probably

BEAR
September 16th, 2021, 02:50 PM
EKU
JSU
Central Ark
Kennesaw
Austin Peay
N. Alabama

UT Martin
Murray State

Sounds good to me!

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2021, 02:53 PM
EKU
JSU
Central Ark
Kennesaw
Austin Peay
N. Alabama

UT Martin
Murray State

Sounds good to me!

I have no interest in bringing Murray or Martin over.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Chattanooga
ETSU

(Not sure if either of them are interested in the move)

BEAR
September 16th, 2021, 03:05 PM
I have no interest in bringing Murray or Martin over.

I just want another 2 that are non-d2 startups... xlolx

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Murray State is decent as is MT-Martin, but aside from that the remaining OVC isn't very good.
*unless they're playing Samford, for some reason.

one_armed_man
September 16th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Good news. I've really liked UCA playing Austin Peay.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2021, 03:19 PM
Chattanooga
ETSU

From what I can tell, this would be a bad move for both in basketball (which means it would be a bad move for both). From what I've noticed over the last few years, if UTC were to move somewhere, it would be for the purpose of going FBS one day, but that's a can of worms that's all unlikely for this generation.

As I've said or implied in the conference realignment thread, the Socon is probably one of the most stable FCS conferences right now, because there's not many regional FCS conferences that can match the basketball benefits. From a competition standpoint the CAA is (for now, as long as JMU is there) a better conference than the Socon in football, but those days are numbered IMO (or at least the days when it's clearly better), and the top 2-3 in the ASUN will be better than the top 2-3 socon indefinitely now, but in basketball neither of those conferences size up.

To lure away ETSU and Chattanooga you would probably have to make a travel/revenue argument, but with the expected value of the socon now in the NCAA tournament, it's got to be huge, which is hard to promise at this level.

But if one team does go, it's probably Chattanooga (they're mentioned in those conversations regularly). And if that happens, maybe ETSU one day leaves as well.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2021, 04:20 PM
I just want another 2 that are non-d2 startups... xlolx

I wouldn't mind having West Florida for football.

Laker
September 16th, 2021, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't mind having West Florida for football.

As a D2 fan I wouldn't mind you taking them. They have tremendous upside.

Professor
September 16th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Seems like a good move. So now what OVC

dgtw
September 16th, 2021, 05:50 PM
This is good news as it gets the ASUN an autobid for 2022.

It drops the OVC to 6/9 so they are barely hanging on. With the two affiliates leaving, it leaves the Big South with seven football members, two of which are affiliates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvfcfan
September 16th, 2021, 06:45 PM
I hate saying this, but the OVC is definitely dying. The MVC has wanted to add Belmont ever since Creighton left in 2013 and has been turned down by them twice. My guess is that the MVC will try again and if they are successful they will bring Murray State with them which will end OVC football and maybe even the conference as a whole.

I'm not sure what EIU will do, but it's not looking good for them and the program sucks at the worst possible moment. It's always possible that the ASUN could absorb what's left of the OVC in Tennessee. Or the remaining 5 or whatever is left could go Big South for FB Only.

dgtw
September 16th, 2021, 06:59 PM
Barring any future changes, that makes 12 autobids for the 2022 playoffs.

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2021, 07:07 PM
This is good news as it gets the ASUN an autobid for 2022.

It drops the OVC to 6/9 so they are barely hanging on. With the two affiliates leaving, it leaves the Big South with seven football members, two of which are affiliates.

We're embarking upon an era where there will be quite a few conferences with 6-8 football playing schools.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2021, 07:07 PM
I hate saying this, but the OVC is definitely dying. The MVC has wanted to add Belmont ever since Creighton left in 2013 and has been turned down by them twice. My guess is that the MVC will try again and if they are successful they will bring Murray State with them which will end OVC football and maybe even the conference as a whole.

I'm not sure what EIU will do, but it's not looking good for them and the program sucks at the worst possible moment. It's always possible that the ASUN could absorb what's left of the OVC in Tennessee. Or the remaining 5 or whatever is left could go Big South for FB Only.

The good news is that the big south is hiring.

solohawks
September 16th, 2021, 08:00 PM
The OVC can still meet bare minimum requirements after a possible Belmont and Murray departure if WIU joins

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Why do we think WIU would want to join the OVC?

dgtw
September 16th, 2021, 08:16 PM

To get NDSU off the schedule.

katss07
September 16th, 2021, 08:19 PM
According to Matt Brown’s Extra Points article which broke the news, the OVC is going to add and “already has a school in mind”.

WIU rumors true?

hebmskebm
September 16th, 2021, 08:40 PM
Any chance Morehead steps up and adds schollies? Are they feeling any pressure to do so?

ST_Lawson
September 16th, 2021, 08:40 PM
According to Matt Brown’s Extra Points article which broke the news, the OVC is going to add and “already has a school in mind”.

WIU rumors true?

It wouldn’t surprise me at this point, but I’d hate leaving behind some of our long-standing rivalries/series. Illinois State, and to a lesser extent UNI and SIU. I really enjoy going to games at the UNIDome and Hancock Stadium. We’d have less travel overall, but our closest games would go from 2 games within 2-3 hours to 1 game about 4 hours away.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2021, 09:22 PM

Because they might win a game in the OVC.

And it's closer than the Dakotas and Springfield.

SDFS
September 16th, 2021, 09:27 PM
You do realize that SDSU and NDSU would be the longest tenure schools in the Summit League if WIU left. I believe that WIU is a charter member:

Others include:

SW Missouri State - now Missouri State - MVC
UNI - MVC
Cleveland St. - HL
UIC - HL
Green Bay - HL
E. Illinois - OVC
Valparaiso - MVC
W. Illinois - ????

Mike296
September 16th, 2021, 09:45 PM
I wondered if this was going to happen eventually and I actually like it.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2021, 09:51 PM
I'm told that the ASun went hard for Chatt, but (my speculation) they probably said no because of basketball

ST_Lawson
September 16th, 2021, 10:34 PM
I believe that WIU is a charter member.

That is correct. We are the only remaining original member of the AMCU/Mid Con/Summit League.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 16th, 2021, 11:25 PM
When I heard this, I instantly wondered if Northern Kentucky might start up football to be the OVC's 7th team.

North Alabama is another possibility.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2021, 11:30 PM
No they aren't.

solohawks
September 17th, 2021, 12:08 AM

Because sending Volleyball and other non revenue sports to the Dakotas, Minnesota, Denver, and Omaha sucks especially when there is a bus league wanting you and youre close to broke.

Cocky
September 17th, 2021, 06:46 AM
When I heard this, I instantly wondered if Northern Kentucky might start up football to be the OVC's 7th team.

TUNA may be a leading reason as to why the OVC lost JSU. JSU is one of the few schools who advocated for membership of schools in close proximity. TUNA was repeatedly denied by the OVC.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2021, 08:03 AM
From what I can tell, this would be a bad move for both in basketball (which means it would be a bad move for both). From what I've noticed over the last few years, if UTC were to move somewhere, it would be for the purpose of going FBS one day, but that's a can of worms that's all unlikely for this generation.

As I've said or implied in the conference realignment thread, the Socon is probably one of the most stable FCS conferences right now, because there's not many regional FCS conferences that can match the basketball benefits. From a competition standpoint the CAA is (for now, as long as JMU is there) a better conference than the Socon in football, but those days are numbered IMO (or at least the days when it's clearly better), and the top 2-3 in the ASUN will be better than the top 2-3 socon indefinitely now, but in basketball neither of those conferences size up.

To lure away ETSU and Chattanooga you would probably have to make a travel/revenue argument, but with the expected value of the socon now in the NCAA tournament, it's got to be huge, which is hard to promise at this level.

But if one team does go, it's probably Chattanooga (they're mentioned in those conversations regularly). And if that happens, maybe ETSU one day leaves as well.

I'm not saying Chattanooga or ETSU leaves, but I have heard that the A-Sun tried (or maybe is still trying - I don't know) to get Chattanooga and ETSU to join the A-Sun, and the OVC is trying to get the Mocs to join the OVC. To be honest, I'm not sure what the OVC has to offer, but the A-Sun offers better travel for the Mocs as well as an all public conference. It is also a likely better FB conference than the SoCon, but it's obviously a step down in BB - especially from where the SoCon is at the moment.

I'm not sure how stable the A-Sun will be and it seems the SoCon is pretty stable at the moment. Unless the Mocs or Bucs leave, I don't see any team leaving the SoCon in the foreseeable future. Sure the A-Sun could try and get Mercer or Samford, which would be good geographical fits, but I think culture wise those schools fit better with the SoCon than the OVC or A-Sun.

JoshUCA
September 17th, 2021, 08:38 AM
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1438847018672304132?s=21

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/887383345960824832/YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg
(https://twitter.com/PeteThamel)Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
(https://twitter.com/PeteThamel)
Source: After adding Austin Peay, the ASUN is exploring more schools. They are vetting Valdosta State, West Georgia, Lincoln Memorial (TN) and Queens University (NC). They could add a mix of football and non-football schools to eventually reach 16 schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2021, 08:57 AM

@PeteThamel
Source: After adding Austin Peay, the ASUN is exploring more schools. They are vetting Valdosta State, West Georgia, Lincoln Memorial (TN) and Queens University (NC). They could add a mix of football and non-football schools to eventually reach 16 schools.

Don't know about Valdosta but West Georgia to me is a natural for the ASun. Valdosta may be as well.

JSU02
September 17th, 2021, 09:18 AM

@PeteThamel

Why not West Florida?

JoshUCA
September 17th, 2021, 09:31 AM
West Florida would be a great addition as well! They would be a natural fit for our other Florida schools.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2021, 09:49 AM
I'm not saying Chattanooga or ETSU leaves, but I have heard that the A-Sun tried (or maybe is still trying - I don't know) to get Chattanooga and ETSU to join the A-Sun, and the OVC is trying to get the Mocs to join the OVC. To be honest, I'm not sure what the OVC has to offer, but the A-Sun offers better travel for the Mocs as well as an all public conference. It is also a likely better FB conference than the SoCon, but it's obviously a step down in BB - especially from where the SoCon is at the moment.

I'm not sure how stable the A-Sun will be and it seems the SoCon is pretty stable at the moment. Unless the Mocs or Bucs leave, I don't see any team leaving the SoCon in the foreseeable future. Sure the A-Sun could try and get Mercer or Samford, which would be good geographical fits, but I think culture wise those schools fit better with the SoCon than the OVC or A-Sun.

Don't know about Valdosta but West Georgia to me is a natural for the ASun. Valdosta may be as well.

Copy-pasting my comment from the JSU board:

I'm very surprised West Florida wasn't mentioned as well.

They are at the top of my D2 list with Valdosta not far behind.

I have basically no interest in bringing anyone other than those 2 up.

Also we keep speculating on these SoCon teams coming over. They aren't. Accept it. If the rumors are true than AP getting picked up is a direct result of UTC telling the ASUN no. Austin Peay isn't moving that needle for them. Whether we like it or not, there are sports outside of football and that SoCon is a pretty good basketball conference and I can understand why they won't leave. We don't offer them anything they don't already have. It has its pros and cons, but overall is pretty close to a lateral move.

CockyGeek
September 17th, 2021, 09:58 AM
RIP OVC. Probably finally time for Belmont and Murray to go to a better basketball conference and for Tennessee State to look at the SWAC or MEAC.

Cocky
September 17th, 2021, 09:59 AM
West Florida and Georgia would be good along with Valdosta.

Didnt know those others existed.

SHSU90
September 17th, 2021, 10:06 AM
With 6 members for the 2022 season in the Asun and only 5 conference games
WAC in the same shape with Tarleton Dixie still in the transition phase
But Southern Utah comes over starting next year
It would seem some sort of scheduling alliance is in order again

Daytripper
September 17th, 2021, 10:42 AM
With 6 members for the 2022 season in the Asun and only 5 conference games
WAC in the same shape with Tarleton Dixie still in the transition phase
But Southern Utah comes over starting next year
It would seem some sort of scheduling alliance is in order again

I'm guessing that is likely to happen. They are probably taking it one season at a time, considering there is so much unknown and so many potential possibilities for the timelines of adding schools to each conference.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2021, 10:43 AM
The A-Sun is in an easier scheduling situation than the WAC. Plenty of SoCon, OVC, Big South schools that are a bus ride OOC game away if they want to play them. UCA is a little further west, but still has the Southland and OVC reasonably close.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2021, 10:45 AM
I'm guessing that is likely to happen. They are probably taking it one season at a time, considering there is so much unknown and so many potential possibilities for the timelines of adding schools to each conference.

I'd be down. I'll be curious how our new coach will handle Sam Houston at our place.

UNAPride
September 17th, 2021, 11:15 AM

Lincoln Memorial is up north of Knoxville on the border with Kentucky. They were in the Gulf South Conference for a while and are always stellar in D2 men's hoops.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Lincoln Memorial is up north of Knoxville on the border with Kentucky. They were in the Gulf South Conference for a while and are always stellar in D2 men's hoops.

That's good that they have something to offer, I suppose.

But we didn't move to the ASUN because of basketball and I have a pretty good feeling you guys didn't either.

mvfcfan
September 17th, 2021, 11:27 AM
What about this scenario?

Murray State and Belmont to MVC.

TSU, TTU, and UTM to ASUN or Big South.

EIU and SEMO to Summit League.

WIU would also be stupid to join the OVC at this point. No way they go now.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2021, 11:52 AM

I don't think the OVC will fold. They'll just call up some D2 teams.

UNAPride
September 17th, 2021, 11:54 AM
That's good that they have something to offer, I suppose.

But we didn't move to the ASUN because of basketball and I have a pretty good feeling you guys didn't either.

No, but, Commish Ted must be keeping hoops on his mind. Going after Bellarmine was part of that. LMU would be a similar get. They were/are two of the top schools in D2 basketball.

ST_Lawson
September 17th, 2021, 11:57 AM

I could see this possibly happening too. TSU might also get interest from the MEAC, who would probably like to pick up a member or two after the loss of a few to the SWAC and Big South.
There's also SIU-E (no football) and Morehead State (football in the Pioneer) just fyi.

But, the thing to keep in mind is...if Murray State goes MVC, where does their football go (MVFC?).
And how about EIU and SEMO...they in the MVFC now too?

If all that happens, you're looking at 14 members of the MVFC. Is that the point where the conference decides to split in half or something, or are we looking at "pod" or "division" scheduling?

The Summit would be at, I think, 13, if they added EIU, SEMO, and SIU-E.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2021, 12:12 PM
I don't claim to know a ton about WIU, but assuming the remaining OVC is stable, the OVC seems like a good fit for them. They'd have reduced travel and would instantly be more competitive in football. Sure the MVFC is a far superior football conference, but my guess is the fans would rather be competitive in the OVC than a doormat in the MVFC. WIU would still have a chance at the playoffs and NC as their program grows.

taper
September 17th, 2021, 12:48 PM

That could set up some dominoes. It gives the Summit 7 football members and they might break from the MVFC. Make a push for Northern Colorado and that's a pretty stable situation for them compared to recent times.
Leaves the MVC with 5+1 football teams, and who knows if Youngstown would stay put.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2021, 12:49 PM

The potential ROI for just staying the socon given how the pay out for NCAA tournament games is, is just so high. The Socon champ has the best chance of winning a game in the tourney than at any other time (as a baseline), and it's possible (though unlikely, more likely than ever) for a second team in. The financial incentives are just huge. Can't say that about the ASun yet.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2021, 01:21 PM
The SoCon has been very close to getting two teams in for the past few years. Can the SoCon keep this level of play up? I'm not sure, but SoCon basketball is way ahead of A-Sun basketball currently.

UNAPride
September 17th, 2021, 01:45 PM
The ASUN was very close to having two teams get into the tournament in 2019. Liberty and Lipscomb were great teams that year. Liberty was a 12 seed and upset 5 seed Mississippi State in the First Round. Lipscomb went all the way to the NIT final that year.

UNAPride
September 17th, 2021, 02:07 PM

I'd never heard of Queens in Charlotte but I just saw they are the six-time defending D2 national champs in men's and women's Swimming & Diving (which several ASUN teams sponsor). That sport and beach volleyball compete in a huge catch-all conference of those sports, The Coastal Collegiate Sports Association, which Gumbart also heads up.

clenz
September 17th, 2021, 02:07 PM

WIU rumors true?
Travel wise (so money wise) it's not really any better for WIU.

Straight line SDSU, USD, UNO, UMKC are all closer than almost every OVC school. Tulsa is similar to Nashville. The eastern OVC schools get to the same distance, roughly, as Fargo. The only outliers are Denver and Grand Forks. Once you're in a plane you're in a plane.

Are there advantages to WIU in the OVC? Sure but they are trading NDSU/SDSU for Murray State and Belmont on the basketball side. They actually are FAR worse off in that case. Football wise they are better off, but given what their attendance and alumni support is anyway, it truly doesn't matter I don't think. At least UNI, NDSU, ISUr, etc. will bring fans to Macomb for the game. Tennessee Tech and Tennessee Martin sure aren't.

EKU05
September 17th, 2021, 02:56 PM
The ASUN has pledged to not take enough teams from any one conference to cost them their autbid, so that rules out any more OVC schools after Austin Peay (unless the league actually folds).

With regard to the earlier post, TSU and TTU are both at least plausible in that scenario, but I'm not 100% certain TTU is all-in enough on football to meet what the league is looking for.

There's not a snowball's chance in Hades that UTM is invited to join the ASUN.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Reading all this about the OVC, I can't help but think about the Big South. I mean, how stable are they, really? And isn't the OVC's basketball brand better than the Big South anyway? That's why I was speculating about TUNA (though I'm starting to see that ship has sailed).

I keep imagining Tennessee State coming back home to the MEAC and what that could do if they were able to pull off that coup. That would make the MEAC a destination conference again and might even make Hampton and NCAT at least think about returning home. If that happens, suddenly the Big South seems like the vulnerable one - and could boomerang one or more teams (Chuck South? Campbell?) into either the SoCon or OVC. And that would leave TUNA holding the bag.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2021, 03:02 PM
The ASUN has pledged to not take enough teams from any one conference to cost them their autbid, so that rules out any more OVC schools after Austin Peay (unless the league actually folds).

That "promise" wasn't worth the toilet paper it was written on, as when push came to shove they went after APSU.

mvfcfan
September 17th, 2021, 03:12 PM
The OVC still has 6 schools after Peay leaves.

UNA is in the ASUN. They were (maybe still are this season) only Big South for football. They will not be joining the OVC for sure.

Kentucky State is D2 but thst have considered going D1 before (specifically MEAC since they are an HBCU). They could be an OVC target.

EKU05
September 17th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Which proves nothing...because going after APSU didn't break the promise. Do you have a point?

Sir William
September 17th, 2021, 04:14 PM
…suddenly the Big South seems like the vulnerable one - and could boomerang one or more teams (Chuck South? Campbell?) into either the SoCon or OVC.

Chuck South in the SoCon? In their dreams. Same goes for Gardner Webb, BTW.

Campbell could be a nice addition down the road.

ST_Lawson
September 17th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Looks like it’s official now:

https://twitter.com/samherderfcs/status/1438946013780250631

mvfcfan
September 17th, 2021, 04:31 PM
The OVC just released a statement 30 minutes ago on Facebook. APSU is officially out on June 30, 2022.

Laker
September 17th, 2021, 05:58 PM
The OVC just released a statement 30 minutes ago on Facebook. APSU is officially out on June 30, 2022.

APSU Board of Trustees votes to join ASUN Conference during fall meeting (https://www.apsu.edu/news/september-2021-board-conference.php)

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Chuck South in the SoCon? In their dreams. Same goes for Gardner Webb, BTW.

Campbell could be a nice addition down the road.

Yeah, neither GW or CSU add anything to the conference athletically or academically. I don't mean this as a jab at those schools, it's just true. Campbell adds a little bit of both.

Daytripper
September 17th, 2021, 08:13 PM
What's left of the OVC and what's left of the Southland just need to get married.

mvfcfan
September 17th, 2021, 08:41 PM
As a fan of an OVC school (EIU) here is who I am calling if I am the commissioner in order.

ETSU and UT Chattanooga: Both would say no, but I'm still calling them just to see. Maybe I get lucky and they like the idea of playing in a league with four other TN schools. This is the home run that's not happening.

Morehead State: Ask them nicely if they have ever thought about playing scholarship football rather than Pioneer League football.

Western IL: A more realistic option. EIU is a rival. SIUE and SEMO are nearby.

Indiana State (FB Only): ISU would never leave the MVC for basketball or baseball, but maybe they'd be willing to join as a football-only, particularly if WIU makes the move.

NW Missouri State: They have football and they are hands down the best D2 program in basketball. SEMO, SIUE, and potentially WIU would all be relatively close to NWMSU.

Kentucky State: They are another D2 that has football and they have considered going to the MEAC as recent as this year. The OVC is more geographically friendly and they'd immediately have TSU as an HBCU rival. Also gives Morehead State someone that is closer to them.

Lipscomb: If I find at least 2 football schools to join and can't find a third, then LU would be a nice add for the basketball side of things. They are also a rival with Belmont.

NKU: They probably won't leave the Horizon League, but you never know. They are a good basketball add and they have an excellent arena.

Southern Indiana: A D2 with a new basketball arena. No football, but they a decent D2 program that is in Evansville where the OVC plays their tournament for basketball.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2021, 11:00 PM
As a fan of an OVC school (EIU) here is who I am calling if I am the commissioner in order.

ETSU and UT Chattanooga: Both would say no, but I'm still calling them just to see. Maybe I get lucky and they like the idea of playing in a league with four other TN schools. This is the home run that's not happening.

Morehead State: Ask them nicely if they have ever thought about playing scholarship football rather than Pioneer League football.

Western IL: A more realistic option. EIU is a rival. SIUE and SEMO are nearby.

Indiana State (FB Only): ISU would never leave the MVC for basketball or baseball, but maybe they'd be willing to join as a football-only, particularly if WIU makes the move.

NW Missouri State: They have football and they are hands down the best D2 program in basketball. SEMO, SIUE, and potentially WIU would all be relatively close to NWMSU.

Kentucky State: They are another D2 that has football and they have considered going to the MEAC as recent as this year. The OVC is more geographically friendly and they'd immediately have TSU as an HBCU rival. Also gives Morehead State someone that is closer to them.

Lipscomb: If I find at least 2 football schools to join and can't find a third, then LU would be a nice add for the basketball side of things. They are also a rival with Belmont.

NKU: They probably won't leave the Horizon League, but you never know. They are a good basketball add and they have an excellent arena.

Southern Indiana: A D2 with a new basketball arena. No football, but they a decent D2 program that is in Evansville where the OVC plays their tournament for basketball.

I had a cousin that went to NWMST for football - they are a consistently good D-II program if I recall? They could be a good possibility.

HootyHoo
September 17th, 2021, 11:14 PM

What reality are you living in? The Socon is stable? more like stagnant. You are a bunch of private schools with no budgets and no future. No one wants to play with you. I, Hooty himself, am traveling to Spartanburg tomorrow to teach you this lesson personally. Take notes...

P.S: No one gives a hoot about Basketball in realignment. Especially in the South.

HootyHoo
September 17th, 2021, 11:42 PM
I'd like to see 4 more teams added to the ASUN. The best fits in my eyes are Mcneese St, SE Louisiana, East Tennesee St, and Chattanooga. That would give the ASUN a nice round number of 10 football playing members.

jajfitz
September 18th, 2021, 06:02 AM
What about Youngstown State back to the OVC?

CockyGeek
September 18th, 2021, 06:07 AM
An Ohio school in the Ohio Valley Conference is preposterous.

dgtw
September 18th, 2021, 06:53 AM
What's left of the OVC and what's left of the Southland just need to get married.

Not a bad idea if more leave. Right now it would give them 12 football and 17 total, which is way too many for a one-bid league. Maybe the football schools could form a conference and the others could get with UALR and Texas-Arlington of the Sun Belt.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2021, 08:18 AM
What reality are you living in? The Socon is stable? more like stagnant. You are a bunch of private schools with no budgets and no future. No one wants to play with you. I, Hooty himself, am traveling to Spartanburg tomorrow to teach you this lesson personally. Take notes...

P.S: No one gives a hoot about Basketball in realignment. Especially in the South.

I honestly can't hear you through all the money we're making in basketball

ElCid
September 18th, 2021, 08:34 AM

Wow. Really? What SOCON schools have a smaller budget than say, KSU? And how many private schools are in the SOCON? As compared to public? You should leave this discussion to others.

TTUEagles
September 18th, 2021, 08:42 AM
but I'm not 100% certain TTU is all-in enough on football to meet what the league is looking for.

HA HA HA HA When have they EVER been? They don't give a #*$!, nor do I anymore!

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2021, 09:04 AM
HA HA HA HA When have they EVER been? They don't give a #*$!, nor do I anymore!

Yeah it kind of defeats the purpose of leaving the OVC if the whole damn conference comes to the new conference.

Truthfully, I would have passed on EKU, they've been about as good recently as Tech has.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2021, 09:58 AM
EKU is one of those teams that has "tradition" but has not won a playoff game since the Clinton administration. Relatively early in the Clinton administration.

clenz
September 18th, 2021, 10:14 AM
I had a cousin that went to NWMST for football - they are a consistently good D-II program if I recall? They could be a good possibility.
NWMOST has had less than zero desire to be D1 for years. They have a real good thing in D2 and they have no interest in giving it up.

They are a school of 6,000 in a town of 11,000 that is somehow more remotely located than WIU without being more remotely located. They are a hundred miles, as the bird flies, from KC, Omaha and Des Moines. That's it. There's nothing else. Located in a sparsley populated area of the US - and that's being generous. SW Iowa and NW Missouri are just empty outside of those 3 cities and Des Moines isn't SW Iowa. WIU has St Louis, Chicago, Peoria, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, etc. for cities/metros around them in that same basic distance. I realize CR/Iowa City as a coorridor is "only" 450-500 thousand people so it's not massive, to many, but when you compare to to the area around Maryville of Shenandoah, Essex, Clarinda, Nebraska City, Hamburg, Clearmont, Skidmore, Diagonal, Corning, Presocttt, Creston, Grant City, Stanberry, Red Oak...I think you get the point...there's no population centers. It's all towns, that in their absolute best year, are maybe 3,000 people (including everyone in the country around them) and towns of that size are considered big city folk to that part of the country.

Here is the population density in SW Iowa and NW Mo

https://i.imgur.com/z2cG1IH.png
https://i.imgur.com/WnKpJFp.png

The main recruiting edge NWMOST has that helps them be so good in D2 is they take kids that the D1 schools (UMKC, UNO, USD, SDSU, UNI, Drake, MSU, Mizzou, etc. don't recruit or recruited as walk ons and give them their place to be. That works wonders in D2. They move to D1 their recruiting advantage vs their peers instantly dies. Talking the best of the rest from that area doesn't work anymore. They, unlike the schools in Sioux Falls SD (USF and Augie) are content where they are (or at least have been for decades) and realize what gives them their ability to be as special as they are, and the best home for their students, is being D2.

clenz
September 18th, 2021, 10:15 AM
What about Youngstown State back to the OVC?
YSU would rather burn to the ground based on every comment from their fan base and admin over the last 3 decades.

ST_Lawson
September 18th, 2021, 01:33 PM
YSU would rather burn to the ground based on every comment from their fan base and admin over the last 3 decades.

Based on the comments of the YSU fans around here, I’d say they’re about halfway there.

Libertine
September 18th, 2021, 03:19 PM
Based on the comments of the YSU fans around here, I’d say they’re about halfway there.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 18th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Chattanooga
ETSU

I know I don't speak for our current leadership team at ETSU, but I don't see us going to the ASUN anytime soon.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 18th, 2021, 07:18 PM

If ETSU were to leave the SoCon one day, I believe it will be for an FBS conference. This will mean upscaling Greene Stadium to 20K or better, which is doable. If ETSU can find a way to make basketball work in the Mini-Dome again (to include the atmosphere found in the "House that Forbes Built"), ETSU will be in a great spot.

clenz
September 18th, 2021, 10:00 PM

Touché