PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-18

JALMOND
September 16th, 2021, 01:02 AM
I am off to a good start on these predictions (22-4) for the year so far, but things are getting tough. The last week for most before the conference slate begins and there are some good matchups involving Big Sky teams this weekend. Tough games, tough choices. Here is my attempt at perfection this week. Montana and Idaho State are off this week but everyone else plays.

South Dakota at CP---The Mustangs split their first two games and now get their home opener, bringing in a tough team from the Missouri Valley that took down one Big Sky team last week. The Mustangs return to the FCS level this week after playing in the FBS...CP 24, South Dakota 17.

EWU at Western Illinois---After a big FBS win, the Eagles played down a level last weekend and got the win there. Now they head back on the road to Missouri Valley country, playing a tough team that took one on the chin last week in Big Sky country...EWU 36, Western Illinois 33.

UI at Oregon State---The Vandals split their first two games, beating a lower division team and losing when they played up a level. They make a return to the FBS this time, venturing out to Pac-12 land. Maybe this time will be a little more kind to them, or maybe not...Oregon State 42, UI 14.

San Diego at MSU---Smarting from what should have been a quality win over the FBS in the opening weekend, the Bobcats took their frustrations out on the Pioneer League. They bring in another Pioneer team, one that has played two Big Sky teams and lost both games...MSU 41, San Diego 7.

NAU at Arizona---Still searching for their first win, the Lumberjacks head up a level to play their big brothers who are also reeling a bit. The Lumberjacks could pull off the upset here but it will take perfection to beat even a lower tier Pac-12 team...Arizona 35, NAU 27.

Lamar at UNC---Nothing much was expected of the Bears heading into this season, yet they are playing some good football so far in this young season. Returning home after beating the Southland, they get another Southland team at home this weekend...UNC 31, Lamar 21.

Western Oregon at PSU---While it seems everyone else in the conference is winning with defense, the Vikings still want to outscore their opponents. While it remains to be seen if that will work in conference games, they get a lower division team this week to beat up...PSU 49, Western Oregon 21.

SAC at California---One would think the Hornets have the horses to give their big Pac-12 brothers a game here and they probably do. But winning the game is different than actually staying within reach and the Hornets may not be able to come out on top...California 31, SAC 27.

Tarleton State vs. SUU at Arlington, TX---The Thunderbirds had two weeks to prepare for this game before they start their final Big Sky conference season and they go out to a "neutral" site to face what will soon be a conference foe. Was there enough preparation here?...Tarleton State 28, SUU 21.

Dixie State at UCD---The Aggies come in to this game looking really good and get a team that is playing their third Big Sky opponent, still looking for a win. Can the Aggies continue their perfect season so far and take down an upset-minded opponent?...UCD 27, Dixie State 12.

James Madison at WSU---The Wildcats lost to the Pac-12 and then got an easy win over an FCS transitional team. Did it prepare them for this exciting matchup with a formidable foe from the east? This is one of the highlighted games in the country this weekend...WSU 21, James Madison 17.

wapiti
September 16th, 2021, 09:49 AM
San Diego 20 @ Montana State 38 : Another Pioneer team visiting MSU. This is traditionally the best team in the Pioneer and does have a history of upsetting Big Sky teams.

Idaho 17 @ Oregon State 48 : Idaho's 2nd FBS game this season and I do not forecast an upset.

Sac State 10 @ California 62 : Since Sac was thumped by UNI at home. This game, on the road, against a big FBS team will be a big L

Lamar 13 @ Northern Colorado 28: Lamar's 1st 2 games were big L's. With NC at home I see W for them.

Eastern Washington 35 @ Western Illinois 20 : UM handled W. Ill easily in Missoula, but EWU gets them on the road. Will be nice to compare how each BSC team compares to the same opponent.

Western Oregon 13 @ Portland State 30 : I briefly thought about an upset here, but I think PSU takes care of business against a lower level opponent

Southern Utah 17 @ Tarleton 32 : Tarleton had the better spring season and is at home.

South Dakota 32 @ Cal Poly 20 : Will CP be able to defend their home turf? On paper South Dakota is the better team and I see them overcoming the home field advantage.

James Madison 27 @ Weber State 24 : Two top teams in the nation going head to head with the lower ranked team at home. I do see JMU as the better team, but the BBQ is at home. This is a tough one to pick. Whoever has the ball last wins.

Northern Arizona 16 @ Arizona 42: NAU goes for another loss.

Dixie State 13 @ UC Davis 42: UC-Davis should take care of business against this FCS transitional team. Does anyone know if the games against Dixie count towards the playoff count qualification? I think they do, but I am unsure.

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2021, 11:01 AM
for some weird reason, N Colorado is showing up ranked # 18 in the Massey rankings.... haha, I know it's early

College Football Ranking Composite (masseyratings.com) (https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm)

the composite index which includes the AGS poll, has them at a more reasonable # 53

melloware13
September 16th, 2021, 12:05 PM
for some weird reason, N Colorado is showing up ranked # 18 in the Massey rankings.... haha, I know it's early

College Football Ranking Composite (masseyratings.com) (https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm)

the composite index which includes the AGS poll, has them at a more reasonable # 53
I wonder if it's a combination of over-ranking Houston Baptist (who UNC blew out) and Colorado being inflated by their close game against Texas A&M

mvemjsunpx
September 16th, 2021, 08:47 PM
EWU 38-14 Willynois — The Leathernecks were picked last in the MVFC, and nothing they did in Missoula suggested that was inaccurate

Woe-regon 10-49 Portland St. — This is surprisingly WOU's first FCS game in 4 years

SoDak 31-28 Cal Poly — The 'Stangs looked better than expected against the other USD, but they didn't look good at all against Fresno

Whistlin' Dixie 7-45 Davis — Nothing we've seen from these two teams suggests this'll be close

Sac State 13-38 Cal — Will this be Cal's third-straight close game? Nah…

Idalol 14-44 Oregon St. — These two teams only played once the entire time Idaho was I-A/FBS

Suutah 28-31 Tarleton St. — I don't think either of these teams is any good, but you never know

JMU 21-23 Weber — The uglier the game, the better Weber's chances

NAU 14-42 Arizona — The theme song for this game should be Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'"

San Diego 14-45 Montana St. — I'm not sure this Torero team is even gonna have a chance to pull a playoff upset

Lamar 27-45 NoCo — Was Northern Colorado that good, or was Houston Baptist that bad?

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2021, 08:53 PM
I wonder if it's a combination of over-ranking Houston Baptist (who UNC blew out) and Colorado being inflated by their close game against Texas A&M

who could argue with that !

Iridebikes
September 17th, 2021, 08:34 AM
EWU over W. Ill- EAGS should win but its a road game and who the heck knows what can happen.
PSU gets its first win of the year. Hope the fine folks of Portland go out and support them and have a beer with coach.
South Dakota beat Cal Poly- CP got a nice win in first game but I still think it will be a tough year for the Mustangs
Davis abuses Dixie State
Cal with thoroughly bear Sac State
Oregon State defeats Idaho. Vandals are still collecting FBS paydays.
Southern Utah beats Tarleton. I really have no idea but root for the Big Sky
Weber beats James Madison. Once again I don't know but rooting for the Sky.
Arizona will abuse NAU
Montana State will beat San Diego. Will this be three wins in a row for the Sky of San Diego?
Northern Colorado gets the win over Lamar.

MSUBobcat
September 17th, 2021, 11:28 AM
I don't know how I missed the first 2 prediction threads. My stab at this week:

South Dakota 30 @ Cal Poly 17 - SoDak has looked decent against meh competition. Cal Poly is meh competition.
EWU 38 @ WIU 14 - Back to back weeks against 2 of the Big Sky's top teams; expecting similar results, adjusted slightly for road vs. home games.
Idaho 21 @ OSU 44 - Another FBS game, another big L.
San Diego 10 @ MSU 38 - 3rd straight game against the Big Sky for USD, this time on the road. Tough sledding to start the season.
NAU 14 @ ASU 34 - Also a tough start to the year for NAU, this time an FBS payday.
Lamar 17 @ NoCo 27 - Hard to know what you're getting with Lamar, thumping a school with barely enough students to field a team, then getting thumped by a surprising UTSA team. Going with the home team coming off a solid road win.
WOU 7 @ PSU 38 - Portland State has looked respectable in their 2 FBS games, while WOU hasn't had much success.
SAC 13 @ Cal 34 - Cal has 2 one-score losses; they finally get over the hump in this one
SUU 24 @ Tarleton 20 - I had this score predicted differently until I realized it was a road game vs. home. I still think the Birds eke out a W.
Dixie 10 @ UCD 42 - Dixie's impressive scheduling yields yet another loss, and again in blowout fashion
JMU 24 @ BBQ 20 - What an awesome OOC game. Probably more excited to watch this than my own team. Toss up, but feeling JMU in a squeaker.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2021, 02:41 AM
I am off to a good start on these predictions (22-4) for the year so far, but things are getting tough. The last week for most before the conference slate begins and there are some good matchups involving Big Sky teams this weekend. Tough games, tough choices. Here is my attempt at perfection this week. Montana and Idaho State are off this week but everyone else plays.

South Dakota at CP---The Mustangs split their first two games and now get their home opener, bringing in a tough team from the Missouri Valley that took down one Big Sky team last week. The Mustangs return to the FCS level this week after playing in the FBS...CP 24, South Dakota 17.

EWU at Western Illinois---After a big FBS win, the Eagles played down a level last weekend and got the win there. Now they head back on the road to Missouri Valley country, playing a tough team that took one on the chin last week in Big Sky country...EWU 36, Western Illinois 33.

UI at Oregon State---The Vandals split their first two games, beating a lower division team and losing when they played up a level. They make a return to the FBS this time, venturing out to Pac-12 land. Maybe this time will be a little more kind to them, or maybe not...Oregon State 42, UI 14.

San Diego at MSU---Smarting from what should have been a quality win over the FBS in the opening weekend, the Bobcats took their frustrations out on the Pioneer League. They bring in another Pioneer team, one that has played two Big Sky teams and lost both games...MSU 41, San Diego 7.

NAU at Arizona---Still searching for their first win, the Lumberjacks head up a level to play their big brothers who are also reeling a bit. The Lumberjacks could pull off the upset here but it will take perfection to beat even a lower tier Pac-12 team...Arizona 35, NAU 27.

Lamar at UNC---Nothing much was expected of the Bears heading into this season, yet they are playing some good football so far in this young season. Returning home after beating the Southland, they get another Southland team at home this weekend...UNC 31, Lamar 21.

Western Oregon at PSU---While it seems everyone else in the conference is winning with defense, the Vikings still want to outscore their opponents. While it remains to be seen if that will work in conference games, they get a lower division team this week to beat up...PSU 49, Western Oregon 21.

SAC at California---One would think the Hornets have the horses to give their big Pac-12 brothers a game here and they probably do. But winning the game is different than actually staying within reach and the Hornets may not be able to come out on top...California 31, SAC 27.

Tarleton State vs. SUU at Arlington, TX---The Thunderbirds had two weeks to prepare for this game before they start their final Big Sky conference season and they go out to a "neutral" site to face what will soon be a conference foe. Was there enough preparation here?...Tarleton State 28, SUU 21.

Dixie State at UCD---The Aggies come in to this game looking really good and get a team that is playing their third Big Sky opponent, still looking for a win. Can the Aggies continue their perfect season so far and take down an upset-minded opponent?...UCD 27, Dixie State 12.

James Madison at WSU---The Wildcats lost to the Pac-12 and then got an easy win over an FCS transitional team. Did it prepare them for this exciting matchup with a formidable foe from the east? This is one of the highlighted games in the country this weekend...WSU 21, James Madison 17.

6-5 this week. Painful but still above .500. 28-9 overall.

wapiti
September 20th, 2021, 12:37 PM
San Diego 20 @ Montana State 38 : Another Pioneer team visiting MSU. This is traditionally the best team in the Pioneer and does have a history of upsetting Big Sky teams.

Idaho 17 @ Oregon State 48 : Idaho's 2nd FBS game this season and I do not forecast an upset.

Sac State 10 @ California 62 : Since Sac was thumped by UNI at home. This game, on the road, against a big FBS team will be a big L

Lamar 13 @ Northern Colorado 28: Lamar's 1st 2 games were big L's. With NC at home I see W for them.

Eastern Washington 35 @ Western Illinois 20 : UM handled W. Ill easily in Missoula, but EWU gets them on the road. Will be nice to compare how each BSC team compares to the same opponent.

Western Oregon 13 @ Portland State 30 : I briefly thought about an upset here, but I think PSU takes care of business against a lower level opponent

Southern Utah 17 @ Tarleton 32 : Tarleton had the better spring season and is at home.

South Dakota 32 @ Cal Poly 20 : Will CP be able to defend their home turf? On paper South Dakota is the better team and I see them overcoming the home field advantage.

James Madison 27 @ Weber State 24 : Two top teams in the nation going head to head with the lower ranked team at home. I do see JMU as the better team, but the BBQ is at home. This is a tough one to pick. Whoever has the ball last wins.

Northern Arizona 16 @ Arizona 42: NAU goes for another loss.

Dixie State 13 @ UC Davis 42: UC-Davis should take care of business against this FCS transitional team. Does anyone know if the games against Dixie count towards the playoff count qualification? I think they do, but I am unsure.

I went 8-3 this week.

MSUBobcat
September 20th, 2021, 12:57 PM
I don't know how I missed the first 2 prediction threads. My stab at this week:

South Dakota 30 @ Cal Poly 17 - SoDak has looked decent against meh competition. Cal Poly is meh competition.
EWU 38 @ WIU 14 - Back to back weeks against 2 of the Big Sky's top teams; expecting similar results, adjusted slightly for road vs. home games.
Idaho 21 @ OSU 44 - Another FBS game, another big L.
San Diego 10 @ MSU 38 - 3rd straight game against the Big Sky for USD, this time on the road. Tough sledding to start the season.
NAU 14 @ ASU 34 - Also a tough start to the year for NAU, this time an FBS payday.
Lamar 17 @ NoCo 27 - Hard to know what you're getting with Lamar, thumping a school with barely enough students to field a team, then getting thumped by a surprising UTSA team. Going with the home team coming off a solid road win.
WOU 7 @ PSU 38 - Portland State has looked respectable in their 2 FBS games, while WOU hasn't had much success.
SAC 13 @ Cal 34 - Cal has 2 one-score losses; they finally get over the hump in this one
SUU 24 @ Tarleton 20 - I had this score predicted differently until I realized it was a road game vs. home. I still think the Birds eke out a W.
Dixie 10 @ UCD 42 - Dixie's impressive scheduling yields yet another loss, and again in blowout fashion
JMU 24 @ BBQ 20 - What an awesome OOC game. Probably more excited to watch this than my own team. Toss up, but feeling JMU in a squeaker.

8-3. If I had paid attention, perhaps I would have given NAU more of a chance against Arizona than ASU but probably not enough to think they'd win.