View Full Version : ANY CHARLESTON SOUTHERN PEOPLE ON HERE?

MUHAWKS
September 15th, 2021, 07:21 PM
If so, what ya'll thinking this week? Not sure how much weight I should put on our Spring game. We are still banged up and have not looked at all yet like that team although we have shown glimpses. You guys did not run the ball at all, but threw for a lot of yards. We moved the ball at will essentially but got 3 turnovers. Seems like you had a nice start last week. Any news?

NorthChuckSouth
September 16th, 2021, 08:32 AM
If so, what ya'll thinking this week? Not sure how much weight I should put on our Spring game. We are still banged up and have not looked at all yet like that team although we have shown glimpses. You guys did not run the ball at all, but threw for a lot of yards. We moved the ball at will essentially but got 3 turnovers. Seems like you had a nice start last week. Any news?

Buddy you’re about as clueless as we are. We return a ton of players and the new guys seem to be doing well based on last week, but citadel appears to be a pretty bad team so I’m not sure how good of a benchmark last week was. Our main receiving target is Garris Schwarting (no. 1) and had 4 receiving touchdowns last week. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get the majority of attention from the defense so hopefully some of our other guys can step up. I don’t expect to win, but if we can look like a competent team and keep it close I’ll be happy based on the last couple times we’ve played haha

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2021, 10:32 AM
Tbh nobody knows anything about anyone. I would argue that this first few weeks of the year is probably the worst for any team given the lats 18 months. Only the usual names at the top of the subdivision (Bama, NDSU, etc) are going to be at a predictably higher level.

Everyone else is hunting and pecking for what works and what doesn't. What normally would take a couple weeks to develop into consistency will probably take a month.

MUHAWKS
September 16th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Tbh nobody knows anything about anyone. I would argue that this first few weeks of the year is probably the worst for any team given the lats 18 months. Only the usual names at the top of the subdivision (Bama, NDSU, etc) are going to be at a predictably higher level.

Everyone else is hunting and pecking for what works and what doesn't. What normally would take a couple weeks to develop into consistency will probably take a month.

That is a great point-

- - - Updated - - -

Buddy you’re about as clueless as we are. We return a ton of players and the new guys seem to be doing well based on last week, but citadel appears to be a pretty bad team so I’m not sure how good of a benchmark last week was. Our main receiving target is Garris Schwarting (no. 1) and had 4 receiving touchdowns last week. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get the majority of attention from the defense so hopefully some of our other guys can step up. I don’t expect to win, but if we can look like a competent team and keep it close I’ll be happy based on the last couple times we’ve played haha

Yep, I hear you.. we shall see!

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2021, 10:47 AM
I've come more around the idea that we don't need preseason polls at the FCS level, or any polls at all for that matter, until like week 4 of the season. Over the last couple of years, I've come to appreciate the inherent uncertainty in football, but at this level, you could literally have a gutter team one year and then 2-3 years later they're a 10 win squad or a quarterfinalist.

Just look at Charleston southern from 2011-2013 or what Austin Peay did recently.

FCS viewers really need to develop a wait-and-see approach because, as good as the Valley and Big Sky is, there's a lot more good teams out there that suffer from not being incumbent in people's brains due to polls and stuff.

kdinva
September 16th, 2021, 10:51 AM
I've come more around the idea that we don't need preseason polls at the FCS level, or any polls at all for that matter, until like week 4 of the season..

...I've been saying this for 10 years, from ALL NCAA football to NCAA basketball......is more fair to a team that otherwise was not ranked in August (football) or October (hoops)....

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2021, 11:08 AM
I've come more around the idea that we don't need preseason polls at the FCS level, or any polls at all for that matter, until like week 4 of the season. Over the last couple of years, I've come to appreciate the inherent uncertainty in football, but at this level, you could literally have a gutter team one year and then 2-3 years later they're a 10 win squad or a quarterfinalist.

Just look at Charleston southern from 2011-2013 or what Austin Peay did recently.

FCS viewers really need to develop a wait-and-see approach because, as good as the Valley and Big Sky is, there's a lot more good teams out there that suffer from not being incumbent in people's brains due to polls and stuff.

this is what makes FCS so interesting, everybody here knows the early polls are just for fun

Libertine
September 16th, 2021, 02:54 PM
I've come more around the idea that we don't need preseason polls at the FCS level, or any polls at all for that matter, until like week 4 of the season.

Yup! Pre-season polls are worse than useless.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2021, 03:08 PM
this is what makes FCS so interesting, everybody here knows the early polls are just for fun

Well yeah, everyone here does, but not all the other pollsxlolx