PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville State in the National Spotlight

acbearkat
September 14th, 2021, 08:36 PM
I found this article on ESPN yesterday talking about Jacksonville State's stunning win over Florida State. As beating a program such as Florida State will do, Jacksonville State is receiving national attention. The Gamecocks are certainly talented, and if they can cut back on the penalties, they can make a deep run in the playoffs.

How Jacksonville State soaked in its stunning upset of Florida State (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32201966/how-jacksonville-state-soaked-stunning-upset-florida-state)

Cocky
September 14th, 2021, 08:58 PM
Wouldnt bet much on the deep playoff run happening.

Katfan
September 14th, 2021, 10:07 PM
Wouldnt bet much on the deep playoff run happening.
You don’t think Grass will have them ready?

Mocs123
September 15th, 2021, 05:51 AM

Anytime I venture over to the JSU message board they seem to be lamenting how terrible they are, and how they want to fire Grass. I do get their frustration of not being able to get over the "hump" but it would be pretty hard to get rid of a coach with Grass' record.

Cocky
September 15th, 2021, 06:42 AM

Feels like the program has topped out with his leadership style. Great guy would just prefer to win more. With our facilities and recruits close by feel like it should happen.

Mocs123
September 15th, 2021, 07:04 AM
It will be interesting to see how JSU does in the A-Sun with other competitive schools. Up until Austin Peay's recent rise, JSU had several years with little competition for the OVC Championship. The same could be said of KSU and the Big South.

Back on topic however and JSU should get some national spotlight for beating FSU. That's not something that happens every day.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2021, 07:46 AM
It will be interesting to see how JSU does in the A-Sun with other competitive schools. Up until Austin Peay's recent rise, JSU had several years with little competition for the OVC Championship. The same could be said of KSU and the Big South.

Back on topic however and JSU should get some national spotlight for beating FSU. That's not something that happens every day.
I don’t believe it’s ever happened in the history of mankind. Pretty sure I heard on the broadcast or post-game that FSU has never before lost a game to an FCS Team. Yep - just checked - 26-0 vs. FCS & 1-AA until Sat. night.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2021, 08:38 AM
I don’t believe it’s ever happened in the history of mankind. Pretty sure I heard on the broadcast or post-game that FSU has never before lost a game to an FCS Team. Yep - just checked - 26-0 vs. FCS & 1-AA until Sat. night.

But it's not the first time JSU has beaten Florida State.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2021, 09:27 AM
But it's not the first time JSU has beaten Florida State.
Sorry…it is.

In December of 1947, JSTC (“Teachers College” became “College” (JSC) in 1957, then “University” (JSU) in 1966) beat the newly CoEd (just added men & a football team in Sept of that year) and newly named (went from Florida State College for Women to FSU), FSU 7-0 in Tally.

If you had said “But it’s not the first time Jacksonville State has beaten Florida State,” you would have been correct. Dang, so close!

You can go ahead and put FUBeAR back on “Ignore” now. :-)

ST_Lawson
September 15th, 2021, 10:37 AM
Feels like the program has topped out with his leadership style. Great guy would just prefer to win more. With our facilities and recruits close by feel like it should happen.

Think he'd want more of a "challenge"? We'd take him in a heartbeat.

WileECoyote06
September 15th, 2021, 11:25 AM
Think he'd want more of a "challenge"? We'd take him in a heartbeat.

lol. . . folks don't appreciate ya until you're gone.

CockyGeek
September 15th, 2021, 01:08 PM
There were people who were super upset and butthurt that Crowe was fired and Clark took his place. It's just time for Grass to move on. This team is so close but they need somebody who isn't going to put up with the most penalties in football year after year.

ElCid
September 15th, 2021, 02:35 PM
It's always good to get a P5 scalp and the publicity that comes with it. Publicity is always good, even bad publicity....

...FSU is now the lowest ranked P5 team in Massey and 4th lowest P5 in Sagarin...OOOOuch.

CockyGeek
September 15th, 2021, 02:38 PM
The FBS is 661-2 when up by 10 or more points against FCS opponents. Those 2 losses are both to JSU (Ole Miss in 2010 and FSU in 2021)

Is this real???

ElCid
September 15th, 2021, 03:21 PM
The FBS is 661-2 when up by 10 or more points against FCS opponents. Those 2 losses are both to JSU (Ole Miss in 2010 and FSU in 2021)

Is this real???

If true, that's pretty cool. I know in all our wins we jumped out to a good lead and had to fight them back. I can't recall any other team coming back from 10 down for a win, but who knows. Where did you get the stat?

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2021, 03:33 PM
If true, that's pretty cool. I know in all our wins we jumped out to a good lead and had to fight them back. I can't recall any other team coming back from 10 down for a win, but who knows. Where did you get the stat?

My old high school principal (who is an alum) posted it on Twitter.

So I also have no idea how true it is.

ElCid
September 15th, 2021, 03:45 PM

I looked at a couple site of schools who I know have victories. Finding the detailed box scores in next to impossible now for games back in the 80s and even 90s. He might have a good memory, or some detailed archives. But I can't think of any off hand myself.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2021, 04:23 PM
I looked at a couple site of schools who I know have victories. Finding the detailed box scores in next to impossible now for games back in the 80s and even 90s. He might have a good memory, or some detailed archives. But I can't think of any off hand myself.
Furman @ NCSU 1984 might have reached that horizon. Let me see if I can find one of those elusive box scores.

Now, that was 1-AA and not technically FCS…so, it may not ‘count’ anyway.

LOL - found a video instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy6b5KEKPf4

At the end of this ultra-HD vid - you can see on the scoreboard that NCSU was up 20-7 (+13) in Q2 & FU won 34-30

So, if the quoter of that stat was including 1-AA AND FCS, the stat is incorrect.

…and, hey, I see today is the 37th anniversary of that Scalp-taking, so I’m glad I was able to ‘honor’ it, by (possibly) protecting its virtue against a (possible) ‘stolen valor’ Stat claim.

ElCid
September 15th, 2021, 05:08 PM

Furman @ NCSU 1984 might have reached that horizon. Let me see if I can find one of those elusive box scores.

Now, that was 1-AA and not technically FCS…so, it may not ‘count’ anyway.

LOL - found a video instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy6b5KEKPf4

At the end of this ultra-HD vid - you can see on the scoreboard that NCSU was up 20-7 (+13) in Q2 & FU won 34-30

So, if the quoter of that stat was including 1-AA AND FCS, the stat is incorrect.

…and, hey, I see today is the 37th anniversary of that Scalp-taking, so I’m glad I was able to ‘honor’ it, by (possibly) protecting its virtue against a (possible) ‘stolen valor’ Stat claim.

Yup, That was actually one of the games I was trying to search for! What a memory. That qualifies. IAA/FCS.

You need to let your old principle know. Still a really good stat, but looks like at least three.

mvfcfan
September 15th, 2021, 06:11 PM

Is this real???

Not real. Kansas State was up 21-7 on NDSU before NDSU ultimately won 24-21. NDSU also trailed Iowa State 14-0 before winning 34-14. Indiana State also trailed Ball State in 2014 14-3 and won that game 27-20.

Maybe you mean 4th Quarter comeback?

McCowboys
September 15th, 2021, 06:21 PM
With my sports package, I get the ACC network. They had the JSU-FSU game scheduled to be recast several times, but every time I went there, it was another game. Forgive me, Mr. Chicken, but that is chicken*****!

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Yup, That was actually one of the games I was trying to search for! What a memory. That qualifies. IAA/FCS.

You need to let your old principle know. Still a really good stat, but looks like at least three.
After further research, I’m thinking that quoted stat must’ve just been referring to strictly FCS, which became ‘a thing’ in 2006. Because…since 1978 (when 1AA was created), there have been 3,174 D1AA+FCS vs. FBS games. FBS Teams have won 2,687 (85%) of those games. Surely, FBS Teams would have been ahead by 10 or more in more than (663) 24.7% of those wins. Now, if we do some ‘ballpark’ math, there have been an avg of 74 FBS vs. FCS games / year…but there were more way more FBS & way fewer FCS Teams prior to 1982. And, we know there are about 100 of these games every year now. Couldn’t find exact numbers for every year. So, let’s just round the number up to 90/year. So, that means about 1500 games since 2006 with FBS winning about 85% or 1,275. Still seems as if FBS Teams would have been ahead by more than 10 in more than 52% of those wins, but I think this get us a lot closer to the “2-661” cited stat.

So…now JSUSoutherner owes his Principal an apology. Sorry man.

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 08:16 PM
I remember a few years back hearing of a planned home and home of Lafayette vs JAX. Wonder what happened?

ElCid
September 15th, 2021, 10:36 PM
After further research, I’m thinking that quoted stat must’ve just been referring to strictly FCS, which became ‘a thing’ in 2006. Because…since 1978 (when 1AA was created), there have been 3,174 D1AA+FCS vs. FBS games. FBS Teams have won 2,687 (85%) of those games. Surely, FBS Teams would have been ahead by 10 or more in more than (663) 24.7% of those wins. Now, if we do some ‘ballpark’ math, there have been an avg of 74 FBS vs. FCS games / year…but there were more way more FBS & way fewer FCS Teams prior to 1982. And, we know there are about 100 of these games every year now. Couldn’t find exact numbers for every year. So, let’s just round the number up to 90/year. So, that means about 1500 games since 2006 with FBS winning about 85% or 1,275. Still seems as if FBS Teams would have been ahead by more than 10 in more than 52% of those wins, but I think this get us a lot closer to the “2-661” cited stat.

So…now JSUSoutherner owes his Principal an apology. Sorry man.

I think you are confused. To give any different meaning to FCS form IAA is just not done first off. The named changed, nothing else. His point was, and it took me a minute to understand, only two times has an FBS team been up by 10 or more on an FCS/IAA team at some in a game, and THEN lost that game. In other words, the FCS/IAA team came back and won after being down by 10 or more. But as we now now there have been at least 4, counting Furman and NDSU. I think there might be more, maybe some MAC games.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2021, 11:26 PM
I think you are confused. To give any different meaning to FCS form IAA is just not done first off. The named changed, nothing else. His point was, and it took me a minute to understand, only two times has an FBS team been up by 10 or more on an FCS/IAA team at some in a game, and THEN lost that game. In other words, the FCS/IAA team came back and won after being down by 10 or more. But as we now now there have been at least 4, counting Furman and NDSU. I think there might be more, maybe some MAC games.Maybe…but the stat is bogus anyway - the NDSU & K-State, NDSU & Iowa State, and Indiana State & Ball State games listed proves that.

The down by 10 in the 4th quarter qualifier/correction is probably the right stat that was intended to be cited. JSU was down by 10 until less than 5 minutes remained to play.

ElCid
September 16th, 2021, 12:16 AM
Maybe…but the stat is bogus anyway - the NDSU & K-State, NDSU & Iowa State, and Indiana State & Ball State games listed proves that.

The down by 10 in the 4th quarter qualifier/correction is probably the right stat that was intended to be cited. JSU was down by 10 until less than 5 minutes remained to play.

That makes more sense, but what a silly stat. I'm fairly sure he meant the game though, and not the 4th quarter since he cited 600+ games. I'm thinking he just got it wrong.

ElCid
September 16th, 2021, 12:27 AM
With my sports package, I get the ACC network. They had the JSU-FSU game scheduled to be recast several times, but every time I went there, it was another game. Forgive me, Mr. Chicken, but that is chicken*****!

Yup, same here. The ACC doesn't want to show it over and over again for sure. That's why I record our FBS games, just in case. But you can still see it on the ESPN app. I just checked.xnodx

McCowboys
September 16th, 2021, 06:49 AM
Yup, same here. The ACC doesn't want to show it over and over again for sure. That's why I record our FBS games, just in case. But you can still see it on the ESPN app. I just checked.xnodx

Great! I will check it out there. Yes, I usually DVR a good many games on Saturdays, but I had overloaded and couldn't catch that game in real time.

Cocky
September 16th, 2021, 06:57 AM
The first time I saw the statement it said 4th qt. Still no idea if it is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember a few years back hearing of a planned home and home of Lafayette vs JAX. Wonder what happened?

Know nothing of the series but it would be fun to play different folks in different places.

CockyGeek
September 16th, 2021, 11:29 AM
I've never heard of that series. We seem to back out on a lot of contracts though. EWU, SLU, etc.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2021, 11:51 AM
I think the Gamcocks and Chattanooga have a new series. It seems like I saw it was a four game contract but the only announced game thus far is 2023 in Chattanooga.

CockyGeek
September 16th, 2021, 12:45 PM
I think the 2023 game was the one that was still owed from the last schedule. That Montgomery game threw a wrench into things.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2021, 02:48 PM
I'd have thought that too except it's IN Chattanooga. I've heard there is a new 4 game contract.

I know there was all sorts of confusion and talk over whether the FCS Kickoff Game in Montgomery counted as part of the previous contract (which would have been a home game for JSU). At the time I heard that it did count as a home game for JSU, and that it didn't and the remaining game would be played at a later date. I guess whatever the case it's cleared up now. Personally I thought we owed the Gamecocks a game, but I've heard that our AD didn't (a new AD since that game). You would think that would be clearly documented somewhere so it would be black and white.

CockyGeek
September 16th, 2021, 04:21 PM
I'm just looking for that 7th win in a row. 😉

The last time Chattanooga blew us out in Finley was one of only two times I've left a game early to go eat because I was so pissed.