PDA

View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 3, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
September 13th, 2021, 03:05 PM
The AGS GOTW this week is likely pretty obvious; however, here are a few other games of relevance/interest.

#3 James Madison (CAA) @ #8 Weber State (Big Sky) - Early season preview of another playoff matchup between these two?

#5 North Dakota State (MVFC) @ Towson (CAA) - Rematch of 2013 National Championship game; however Terrance West isn't walking through that door.

#6 Eastern Washington (Big Sky) @ Western Illinois (MVFC) - Basically the game that just got left off the GOTW last week, just substitute the Big Sky team. Comparison game?

Saint Thomas (Pioneer) @ #13 Northern Iowa (MVFC) - Just like the Bison did in 2008, the Tommies get a welcome to the MVFC in the UNI-Dome. Score was closer than game actually was, and I suspect the result will me much the same for the Tommies.

#19 Richmond (CAA) @ #14 Villanova (CAA) - Hens, Spiders, and Wildcats, oh my! The battle for second in the CAA has begun.

North Alabama (Big South) @ #18 Jacksonville State (ASUN) - The Lions aren't Florida State; however, neither were the Blazers...

South Dakota (MVFC) @ Cal Poly (Big Sky) - The battle for relevancy.

#20 Monmouth (Big South) @ Charleston Southern (Big South) - Big South championship game? ;)

Holy Cross (Patriot) @ #33 Yale (Ivy) - The battle for Ivy supremacy starts by playing...Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde (JSU is also in the running for this title).

fencer24
September 13th, 2021, 03:10 PM
JMU v. Weber has to be the most interesting. Ranked teams, JMU playing at altitude and away from home. If JMU prevails, it will be impressive. If they don't it will elevate Weber (not a) State.

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2021, 03:13 PM
JMU vs Weber St is the FCS game of the season thus far.

ST_Lawson
September 13th, 2021, 03:55 PM
#6 Eastern Washington (Big Sky) @ Western Illinois (MVFC) - Basically the game that just got left off the GOTW last week, just substitute the Big Sky team. Comparison game?

I think the interesting part from our game last week was the "@ Montana" part...not the "Western Illinois" part. We'll lose...probably spectacularly. I'll be at the game, but I don't envision it'll be a fun time for me.

I voted for the obvious top 10 match-up.

I was curious when the last time JMU played west of the Mississippi River was, not counting the playoffs (because Frisco and Fargo are both west of the river, but that's out of their control where they play at that point), and because I know a lot of east coast teams tend to stay fairly local and not travel real far if they can help it.

Looks like JMU played a FBS game at SMU back in 2015, but if you're talking against FCS/I-AA teams, you have to go back to 1996 (unless I missed something), when they played a game at McNeese State, which is about 120 miles west of the Mississippi River.

It's not common for them to head that far west...in fact, as near as I can tell, this might be the furthest west they've ever played. They've played at SMU (Dallas), Frisco (north suburb of Dallas), and Fargo (very far north suburb of Dallas), but all 3 places are actually within 3 miles of each other in terms of longitude. They've played Weber State twice in the last few years, but both were at JMU, so this will be really interesting to see how they handle the altitude, time change, and travel distance out to Utah. Plus, they're obviously both really good teams, so this is a matchup we could see happen again sometime in December.

Daytripper
September 13th, 2021, 06:04 PM
Biggest slam dunk in a while. JMU @Weber could end up being a classic....or not. It should tell us a lot about both teams.

fencer24
September 13th, 2021, 08:15 PM
I think the interesting part from our game last week was the "@ Montana" part...not the "Western Illinois" part. We'll lose...probably spectacularly. I'll be at the game, but I don't envision it'll be a fun time for me.

I voted for the obvious top 10 match-up.

I was curious when the last time JMU played west of the Mississippi River was, not counting the playoffs (because Frisco and Fargo are both west of the river, but that's out of their control where they play at that point), and because I know a lot of east coast teams tend to stay fairly local and not travel real far if they can help it.

Looks like JMU played a FBS game at SMU back in 2015, but if you're talking against FCS/I-AA teams, you have to go back to 1996 (unless I missed something), when they played a game at McNeese State, which is about 120 miles west of the Mississippi River.

It's not common for them to head that far west...in fact, as near as I can tell, this might be the furthest west they've ever played. They've played at SMU (Dallas), Frisco (north suburb of Dallas), and Fargo (very far north suburb of Dallas), but all 3 places are actually within 3 miles of each other in terms of longitude. They've played Weber State twice in the last few years, but both were at JMU, so this will be really interesting to see how they handle the altitude, time change, and travel distance out to Utah. Plus, they're obviously both really good teams, so this is a matchup we could see happen again sometime in December.

Having watched you guys last weekend, I think you will match up offense to offense. The question will probably be how your respective defenses do. You will need to cover talented wide receivers and pressure the QB.

On second thought - Good luck with that.

acbearkat
September 14th, 2021, 08:38 AM
My game of the week is James Madison/Weber State, followed by Richmond/Villanova. I'll be watching the James Madison/Weber State game. I can't watch the other one.

kdinva
September 14th, 2021, 09:43 AM
My game of the week is James Madison/Weber State, followed by Richmond/Villanova. .

Same here,

Chalupa Batman
September 14th, 2021, 09:55 AM
This is one of those weeks where we don't even need a poll.

BEAR
September 14th, 2021, 10:39 AM
If it will be as good as the MoState vs. UCA game (last week's choice), then the overwhelming choice here is #3 vs. #8.

I don't know the history of the two schools against each other or if they are always close, but I need MORE of what I saw Saturday!
Football is BACK gentlemen.....and it is good! xdrunkyx

Preferred Walk-On
September 14th, 2021, 01:42 PM
This is one of those weeks where we don't even need a poll.

Protocol. ;)

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2021, 01:51 PM
If it will be as good as the MoState vs. UCA game (last week's choice), then the overwhelming choice here is #3 vs. #8.

I don't know the history of the two schools against each other or if they are always close, but I need MORE of what I saw Saturday!
Football is BACK gentlemen.....and it is good! xdrunkyxSVP kind of agrees with your assessment…or does he? Hard to tell. Either way, good FCS National exposure.

https://twitter.com/stanfordsteve82/status/1437653957330022402

HensRock
September 14th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Either way, good FCS National exposure.

I guess... if you're a no-such-thing-as-bad-press kinda guy.

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2021, 02:37 PM
I guess... if you're a no-such-thing-as-bad-press kinda guy.Well…other than the blown targeting call (don’t @ FUBeAR MoSt fans, @ SVP instead) guffaws and the crack about “a garage” in the Endzone, they showed some very exciting FCS Football played by talented Players…and just suggested that Joe Six Pack might want to make his financial ‘investments’ elsewhere…and that’s true. No “average” College Football Fan should bet on FCS games. They just don’t follow it like ‘we’ do and ‘we’ are who they would be betting against, essentially. So…all in all…I do view it as positive…and funny.

ST_Lawson
September 14th, 2021, 03:13 PM

Football is BACK gentlemen.....and it is good! xdrunkyx

Two meetings, both at JMU, both in the playoffs.
JMU won 31-28 in 2017 in the quarterfinals.
JMU won 30-14 in 2019 in the semifinals.

Bisonator
September 14th, 2021, 03:26 PM
Pretty easy call this week but I'm surprised Richmond and Nova aren't getting some votes.

dewey
September 14th, 2021, 04:10 PM
JMU vs Weber St is the FCS game of the season thus far.

Agreed! Easily the game of the Week.

Dewey

ncspiderfan
September 14th, 2021, 04:36 PM
Pretty easy call this week but I'm surprised Richmond and Nova aren't getting some votes.

Went with JMU/Weber, but I started to homer Richmond/Nova, they both have JMU and Delaware later, plus FBS games it would take a miracle for them to win with Richmond at Virginia Tech and Nova at Penn State next week.
Both teams season opened could possibly have the loser finish 7 and 4 and their conference opener end up having been a playoff elimination game.

Billnonymous
September 16th, 2021, 04:55 PM
Two meetings, both at JMU, both in the playoffs.
JMU won 31-28 in 2017 in the quarterfinals.
JMU won 30-14 in 2019 in the semifinals.

I was at both of these games and, in 2017, coming back from down 8 with 3 minutes to go and beating them with a FG as time expired was as thrilling as it gets. Their wide receiver, Bachelor, I think his name was, who caught the TD that put them up 28-20 was taunting our fans after his catch and he left that field in tears. A bunch of old dudes, I think their current punter is a 28 year old junior.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Pretty easy call this week but I'm surprised Richmond and Nova aren't getting some votes.OK, why would they get votes here in this, actually the people that voted for this game, all two of them, must be homers. Lets see, #3 vs. #8 and the other choice is #19 vs #14, why don't we just have #35 vs, #28 in the poll?? Dude, I am just breaking your balls but the Weber State/JMU game is the only choice and anybody that voted otherwise is a mental midget or some clueless homer.

Just my opinion but my opinion is balls on. Also, how the hell did St Thomas v UNI get in here. I pray on all that is holy the St Thomas beats UNI but this will be a blood bath.

Preferred Walk-On
September 16th, 2021, 07:46 PM
OK, why would they get votes here in this, actually the people that voted for this game, all two of them, must be homers. Lets see, #3 vs. #8 and the other choice is #19 vs #14, why don't we just have #35 vs, #28 in the poll?? Dude, I am just breaking your balls but the Weber State/JMU game is the only choice and anybody that voted otherwise is a mental midget or some clueless homer.

Just my opinion but my opinion is balls on. Also, how the hell did St Thomas v UNI get in here. I pray on all that is holy the St Thomas beats UNI but this will be a blood bath.

Try to have 9 games and an "Other" for choices. What fun would it be if I only had one game on the poll? I am open to suggestions as to what game should have replaced UST @ UNI, but next week is going to be worse...that is, if I try to put nine games on the ballot.

POD Knows
September 17th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Try to have 9 games and an "Other" for choices. What fun would it be if I only had one game on the poll? I am open to suggestions as to what game should have replaced UST @ UNI, but next week is going to be worse...that is, if I try to put nine games on the ballot.Ok, I hear you and I went through the schedule for the week, yea, it is sort of a tough week. Thanks for doing this BTW. God it would be awesome if St Thomas beat UNI.

Preferred Walk-On
September 17th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Ok, I hear you and I went through the schedule for the week, yea, it is sort of a tough week. Thanks for doing this BTW. God it would be awesome if St Thomas beat UNI.

No worries. It is always interesting to pick out games that might be of interest. I guess this one piqued my interest, because it reminds me a lot of NDSU's welcome to the MVFC by UNI, but perhaps even more, because I am curious to see who UNI trots out there as their QB.

POD Knows
September 17th, 2021, 12:52 PM
No worries. It is always interesting to pick out games that might be of interest. I guess this one piqued my interest, because it reminds me a lot of NDSU's welcome to the MVFC by UNI, but perhaps even more, because I am curious to see who UNI trots out there as their QB.Will they even need a QB out there to win????

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2021, 11:25 PM
Statement win for JMU tonight... impressive to say the least.

POD Knows
September 19th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Statement win for JMU tonight... impressive to say the least.What is it about Weber State that always leaves you underwhelmed? I have see these guys play quite a bit and they are always a head scratcher for me. They never really ever look particularly good but they hang around. It is an odd team. That fumble near the goal line was a killer for WSU. Not real impressed with their QB play.

Outsider1
September 19th, 2021, 09:46 AM
No worries. It is always interesting to pick out games that might be of interest. I guess this one piqued my interest, because it reminds me a lot of NDSU's welcome to the MVFC by UNI, but perhaps even more, because I am curious to see who UNI trots out there as their QB.

Keep bringing the polls....

Katfan
September 19th, 2021, 11:17 AM
What is it about Weber State that always leaves you underwhelmed? I have see these guys play quite a bit and they are always a head scratcher for me. They never really ever look particularly good but they hang around. It is an odd team. That fumble near the goal line was a killer for WSU. Not real impressed with their QB play.
Agree other than that play it was pretty even! Lucky JMU. 😂😂😂

POD Knows
September 19th, 2021, 11:41 AM
Agree other than that play it was pretty even! Lucky JMU. Yea, Weber State just kind of hangs around, they don't really have anybody that is particularly good, they really haven't had a decent QB (my opinion and I will probably get flak over this) for a number of years. Decent D it seems but just a strange group.

acbearkat
September 19th, 2021, 12:45 PM
The fumble return for a touchdown was the turning point in the game. Weber State likely would have ended having at least 3 points on that drive if not for the fumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk