PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2021, 10:59 PM
Life has been a whirlwind lately and long story short I moved to New Orleans a month ago. I'm just getting back from evacuation and thinking about going to McNeese at Southern on Saturday.

I'm excited to start getting around to the SWAC and Southland schools.

Is anyone in the New Orleans area?

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2021, 11:25 PM
Life has been a whirlwind lately and long story short I moved to New Orleans a month ago. I'm just getting back from evacuation and thinking about going to McNeese at Southern on Saturday.

Where did you live before you moved?

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2021, 12:34 AM
Where did you live before you moved?

Waterloo, Iowa

lionsrking2
September 13th, 2021, 12:38 AM

We're in Hammond, about 50 minutes north of New Orleans, 40 minutes east of Baton Rouge. You'll need to come see the Lions play when we finally get back home.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2021, 08:26 AM
We're in Hammond, about 50 minutes north of New Orleans, 40 minutes east of Baton Rouge. You'll need to come see the Lions play when we finally get back home.

It's definitely on my list. I watched some of the game against LA Tech on Saturday.

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2021, 08:56 AM
While I'm no longer a NOLA area resident, I'm back managing flooding issues in LA. Working on Ida and preparing for Nicholas now. Be safe. And buy flood insurance!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2021, 09:15 AM
Is the power back on in NOLA?

lionsrking2
September 13th, 2021, 09:41 AM

I believe it's back in a lot of New Orleans. All I know is we still don't have power in my neighborhood in Hammond. It's getting ridiculous.

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2021, 10:40 AM
I believe it's back in a lot of New Orleans. All I know is we still don't have power in my neighborhood in Hammond. It's getting ridiculous.

ugh, sorry to hear that, If it’s any solace just know when it finally comes back you’re gonna appreciate it more than ever

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2021, 11:15 AM
While I'm no longer a NOLA area resident, I'm back managing flooding issues in LA. Working on Ida and preparing for Nicholas now. Be safe. And buy flood insurance!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you have any time while you are here definitely let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, most of the city was up by Wednesday or Thursday. I think the stuff that is out now is issues with the line to the house

- - - Updated - - -

I know they replace the line across I-55 in Hammond when I was driving in last night. I hope they get you up soon

TheRevSFA
September 13th, 2021, 12:44 PM

Glad you're safe from the storm. I'll drop you a line next time I'm in New Orleans, one of my favorite cities to visit.

Puddin Tane
September 13th, 2021, 04:13 PM

my neighborhood was out almost a month after Rita. Irritating but made sense. Houses are close, they had to carry telephone poles in on their shoulders. They get the biggest, easiest first. Those lineman kick ass.

lionsrking2
September 13th, 2021, 04:17 PM
my neighborhood was out almost a month after Rita. Irritating but made sense. Houses are close, they had to carry telephone poles in on their shoulders. They get the biggest, easiest first. Those lineman kick ass.

Makes sense when a wide swath of an area remains out. Not so much when streets and businesses surrounding you are back on and you were told a couple of days after the storm it would be an easy fix.

Puddin Tane
September 13th, 2021, 04:19 PM

go to Lafayette. Billy’s Boudin. Pepper jack boudin balls are life changing ! Ayyyy yiii

Daytripper
September 13th, 2021, 06:06 PM
I am starting to get sprinkles from Nicholas. Just hope it doesn't stall.

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2021, 09:42 AM
go to Lafayette. Billy’s Boudin. Pepper jack boudin balls are life changing ! Ayyyy yiii

That sounds amazing. Definitely plan to get back over towards Lafayette and Lake Charles sometime soon.

In 2022 I'll be doing a bit of traveling around the state.

The Yo Show
September 14th, 2021, 02:36 PM
The place I work sent ~1000 people to help with power restoration efforts. Convoys were actually driving over there prior to the Hurricane actually making landfall (very very long drive from Ohio / PA / NJ). Sorry to hear the power is not back on yet.

Puddin Tane
September 14th, 2021, 06:12 PM
It pretty amazing.

Back during Rita and Ike we had utility guys from all over. They basically set up a mini town. Alot of the linemen in our neighborhood were from bama and michigan. Some canadians. You could tell it wasnt their first rodeo.

lionsrking2
September 14th, 2021, 06:34 PM
The place I work sent ~1000 people to help with power restoration efforts. Convoys were actually driving over there prior to the Hurricane actually making landfall (very very long drive from Ohio / PA / NJ). Sorry to hear the power is not back on yet.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of trucks staged near my house. They drive around and sit around a lot.

caribbeanhen
September 14th, 2021, 07:17 PM
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of trucks staged near my house. They drive around and sit around a lot.

Maria knocked Puerto Rico down and out, no power for over 4 months, when the stateside crews came into the different neighborhoods they were given very warm welcomes, food, beverages and all the rum they wanted

lionsrking2
September 14th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Maria knocked Puerto Rico down and out, no power for over 4 months, when the stateside crews came into the different neighborhoods they were given very warm welcomes, food, beverages and all the rum they wanted
They are warmly welcomed here too.

The Yo Show
September 14th, 2021, 09:26 PM

That tells me the local company could do better with their management of available crews. They sound like they could use some refresher ICS (incident command structure) training.

lionsrking2
September 14th, 2021, 09:33 PM
That tells me the local company could do better with their management of available crews. They sound like they could use some refresher ICS (incident command structure) training.
They need something. No rational reason for us not to have power, relative to our area.

McNeese75
September 14th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Y’all need those Pike guys out of NC!! They kicked ass after Laura

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2021, 09:20 AM
They are warmly welcomed here too.

I have no doubt as I believe my Cousins three and four times removed are good people!

acbearkat
September 15th, 2021, 11:44 AM
They need something. No rational reason for us not to have power, relative to our area.

Hopefully after the rain moves out, you'll get your power back on soon. Hammond took a hard hit from the hurricane, and the pine trees there didn't fare as well as our pine trees did here in East Texas when we had Rita and Ike blow through.

TheRevSFA
September 15th, 2021, 04:03 PM
I am starting to get sprinkles from Nicholas. Just hope it doesn't stall.

I lost a fence, and two trees and the vent for my furnace that sits on the roof...

All in all, minor stuff. Cut the tree and hauled it yesterday, new fence posts set today.

McCowboys
September 15th, 2021, 06:18 PM
I lost a fence, and two trees and the vent for my furnace that sits on the roof...

All in all, minor stuff. Cut the tree and hauled it yesterday, new fence posts set today.

Glad to hear it, Rev!

I saw a picture of the oak trees (or what is left of them) at Oak Alley. That is heartbreaking!

Mr. Lion, I hope you get power back soon!

lionsrking2
September 15th, 2021, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear it, Rev!

I saw a picture of the oak trees (or what is left of them) at Oak Alley. That is heartbreaking!

Mr. Lion, I hope you get power back soon!
We got power back this afternoon. The boys from Maryland were awesome!!

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2021, 06:39 PM

What a relief!

Are you making the trip to Central Connecticut ? this is a very quirky game.....

lionsrking2
September 15th, 2021, 07:57 PM
What a relief!

Are you making the trip to Central Connecticut ? this is a very quirky game.....
I will be there. We've been through a lot, and its tough to assess our mental psyche after being evacuated for two weeks and losing a close one we should have won at FBS La Tech on Saturday, but we enjoy playing interregional FCS games.

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2021, 08:30 PM
I will be there. We've been through a lot, and its tough to assess our mental psyche after being evacuated for two weeks and losing a close one we should have won at FBS La Tech on Saturday, but we enjoy playing interregional FCS games.

Yes the storms and all the post storm chaos has a way of throwing you out of synch, too bad I wont be in Connecticut this week or I might of been able to get up to see this game

McCowboys
September 16th, 2021, 06:45 AM

Wonderful! I was without power for 10 hours Tuesday, but took it in stride knowing what your area and the SW Louisiana area residents have dealt with in the last year and that I had little to complain about.