PDA

View Full Version : Eagles don't buy into linebacker myth

CSN-info
August 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Eagles don't buy into linebacker myth
Macon Telegraph - Macon,GA,USA
There is a school of thought among football coaches that players have to be a certain height and weight in order to effectively play a particular position.
The criteria for linebackers, for example, invariably has them falling into the 6-foot-3, 240-pound mold.
Georgia Southern head coach Chris Hatcher apparently did not attend that school, and if he did he skipped that class. ...
http://www.macon.com/168/story/116187.html

boonedocks
August 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
"...and then when they get to the ball be in a real bad mood. That's what we look for in a linebacker."

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

I love that quote.

bobbythekidd
August 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM
"...and then when they get to the ball be in a real bad mood. That's what we look for in a linebacker."

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

I love that quote.
I thought the same thing as I read it. This was a position most are concerned about. I hope this is not just lip service.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Anxious to see. I don't see how any 200 lbs linebacker is going to haul down Jerome Felton, though.

blueballs
August 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Anxious to see. I don't see how any 200 lbs linebacker is going to haul down Jerome Felton, though.

LOL... They'd better go low, there ain't nothing but concussions and cleat marks for smaller guys hitting him high.

Quentin Taylor is big enough to go head to head with Felton though, here's hoping they're both healthy enough to make it happen come November.

colgate13
August 20th, 2007, 11:00 PM
FWIW, Colgate's leading FCS tackler last season and preseason all-american Mike Gallihugh (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/roster.asp?playerid=280&sport=8&path=football) is all of 6'0" 200 lbs. We've been successful with smaller but speedier guys that like to hit.

AmsterBison
August 21st, 2007, 01:36 AM
Same kind of deal at NDSU, none of the starters are over 6'. I wouldn't call them small though.

MSULB#47
August 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
SWAC Head Coach.....'I dont care If he's a midget....as long as he can make the play....'

Referring to the size of a LB recruit.....

If you look at the premier LB's in the NFL they are ALL under 6'2....not counting the draft...most under 6'2 also

Brian 'I got run over by the Bus' Erlacher is a blown up safety with no hips...

MSULB#47
August 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
LOL... They'd better go low, there ain't nothing but concussions and cleat marks for smaller guys hitting him high.

Quentin Taylor is big enough to go head to head with Felton though, here's hoping they're both healthy enough to make it happen come November.

Its NOT the SIZE of the Dog...its the FIGHT in the Dog.....

Bigger they are the harder you can hitem.....

Christian Oykoya(?) Chiefs RB/FB for a 'FEW years' tried runnin over folks....until he started leaving body parts on the field.....

Earl Campbell same realization

Large RB's and LB's dont last too long

GannonFan
August 23rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Eagles don't buy into linebacker myth
Macon Telegraph - Macon,GA,USA
There is a school of thought among football coaches that players have to be a certain height and weight in order to effectively play a particular position.
The criteria for linebackers, for example, invariably has them falling into the 6-foot-3, 240-pound mold.
Georgia Southern head coach Chris Hatcher apparently did not attend that school, and if he did he skipped that class. ...
http://www.macon.com/168/story/116187.html

Eh, I wonder how many FCS schools actually have linebackers that meet that 6'3" 240 lb mold - heck, that's probably the top end for LB's for most schools, if that.

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Eh, I wonder how many FCS schools actually have linebackers that meet that 6'3" 240 lb mold - heck, that's probably the top end for LB's for most schools, if that.

Furman, or "linebacker U" as we like to call it produce some big, talented linebackers.

William Freeman 6'3 235
Cedrick Ritter 6'2 231
Mike Killian 6'1 236
Will Bouton 6'2 230

just to name a few. Those first three guys were on the field at the same time though. Nasty good linebacking corps.

MSULB#47
August 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Copeland for Dallas was 5'6 played for years!

Saints great LB was 5'9

Miami's LB is 5'11

New York Jets backer out of Miami is barely 6'0

and the list goes on.....

You just dont see tall Linebackers lasting in the league

I spoke with a 6'5 backer who was in the league for close to 10 years...he said he was just too tall and rangy..too much weight he was too slow..not enough weight..just got blown out...

6'0 - 6'1 is perfect league height for a backer

there are exceptions..but just look at the rosters...draft and pro bowl rosters

seantaylor
August 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Its NOT the SIZE of the Dog...its the FIGHT in the Dog.....

Bigger they are the harder you can hitem.....

Christian Oykoya(?) Chiefs RB/FB for a 'FEW years' tried runnin over folks....until he started leaving body parts on the field.....

Earl Campbell same realization

Large RB's and LB's dont last too long

The PREMIER linebacker in the NFL is Urlacher. He is probably the biggest linebacker in the game as well.

MSULB#47
August 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
The PREMIER linebacker in the NFL is Urlacher. He is probably the biggest linebacker in the game as well.

uuh Erlacher is a blown up Safety..nothing special about Erlacher...

What does Erlacher do that no one else does? xeyebrowx

Lance Briggs is the true backer on that team....the Bears 'franchised' him....he's so good..they dont want another team to get him.....

Washington offered TWO 1st round picks for Briggs!

By the way, Briggs is listed at 6'1 240...TWO time pro-bowler

Watch Erlachers play NOT the hype

seantaylor
August 23rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
uuh Erlacher is a blown up Safety..nothing special about Erlacher...

What does Erlacher do that no one else does? xeyebrowx

Lance Briggs is the true backer on that team....the Bears 'franchised' him....he's so good..they dont want another team to get him.....

Washington offered TWO 1st round picks for Briggs!

By the way, Briggs is listed at 6'1 240...TWO time pro-bowler

Watch Erlachers play NOT the hype

Wow. Lost all respect for your football knowledge. The majority of NFL pundits will call Urlacher the best defensive player in the NFL. He was the defensive MVP of the league in 05, and has led the NFL's best defense. Briggs would be an average run of the mill LBer without Lach next to him. And no, the Skins did not offer 2 1st rounders for Briggs. They offered their 1st rounder this year and Rocky McIntosh for Briggs and Chicagos first rounder this year.

Kill'em
August 23rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Don't forget Dexter Coakley. No bigger than a liter but what a player.

Kill'em
August 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=blueballs;620753]Quentin Taylor is big enough to go head to head with Felton though, QUOTE]

Train wreck!

parr90
August 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I dont see our linebackers being small. The ones that will play this year are Quentin Taylor 6'0 240
Harland Bower 6'2 230
David Lewis 6'1 215
Dakota Walker 6'3 237

and they can all run.

Longrifle
August 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Apps starters are 6-0 210, 6-1 240, and 6-0 215. Backups range from 5-11 to 6-2 and 200 to 240. The people we recruit have to have speed first. Oh, and little ole Pierre Banks at 210 will be glad to meet mean ole Jerome Felton at the line of scrimmage come late October.

Kill'em
August 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I dont see our linebackers being small. The ones that will play this year are Quentin Taylor 6'0 240
Harland Bower 6'2 230
David Lewis 6'1 215
Dakota Walker 6'3 237

and they can all run.

With the exception of Terrione Benefield who is 6-0 194. This guy is a player, though. He made some outstanding plays.

seantaylor
August 24th, 2007, 06:14 PM
With the exception of Terrione Benefield who is 6-0 194. This guy is a player, though. He made some outstanding plays.

Don't forget about EJ Webb. A stud true freshmen.

ngineer
August 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM
FWIW, Colgate's leading FCS tackler last season and preseason all-american Mike Gallihugh (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/roster.asp?playerid=280&sport=8&path=football) is all of 6'0" 200 lbs. We've been successful with smaller but speedier guys that like to hit.

Absolutely..Gallihugh had 140 tackles last year..Quickness to the hole, with a mean streak and ability to cover the flats is what matters. Size, while nice, is secondary to quickness and heart.

BULLDOG8180
August 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM

From a former 190lb OLB, it you run threw the big mans knees, he will go down. I never had a problem getting lower than the big fullbacks. And most of the time, the low man wins.