View Full Version : IVY League stadiums

GAD
September 12th, 2021, 12:10 PM
A look at the stadiums of the IVY league
https://youtu.be/pHQktjZqu_M

CHIP72
September 12th, 2021, 02:16 PM
I've only been to one Ivy League stadium, Franklin Field (Penn), but it's an oldie but goodie. I like sitting in the upper deck near midfield on the south (home) sideline, though it can be a little tiring to climb all of those steps.

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2021, 02:47 PM
I’ve been to all of them. I’m partial towards the Yale Bowl. Excluding that my favorite is Princeton followed by Franklin Field.

bulldog10jw
September 12th, 2021, 03:34 PM
I’ve been to all of them. I’m partial towards the Yale Bowl. Excluding that my favorite is Princeton followed by Franklin Field.

The last game I attended at Princeton was 1989. A great Yale win by the way. I'll never forget seeing Jon Reese being carried on his teammates shoulders.

Does the new Princeton stadium have actual seats? In the old days, you sat on concrete in the general admission area. Not fun if it rained.

kdinva
September 12th, 2021, 03:53 PM
Curious about Cornell; they have seats 20 yards beyond the end line, but still parallel to the sidelines.

Bogus Megapardus
September 12th, 2021, 04:49 PM
I have been to all of them. Princeton is my favorite (though parking is miserable, unless you know somebody). Penn's two-tiered Franklin Field is a close second, right over the river from downtown Philly. Columbia's Baker Field (or whatever it's called now) is absolutely surreal; on the upper tip of Manhattan with a view second to none. You forget completely that you're in New York City. The Yale Bowl is absolutely massive. Harvard? also a classic, but you sit on concrete. Cornell's Schoellkopf Field has the advantage of being in the middle of campus, making it easy for students to attend (one wishes the students knew that). Brown Stadium is subdued, in a suburban part of Providence. Parking is on the grass next to it, IIRC. It's been a really long time since I was in Hanover, but I remember that Dartmouth stadium also is on campus, with a really nice view.

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2021, 05:02 PM
The last game I attended at Princeton was 1989. A great Yale win by the way. I'll never forget seeing Jon Reese being carried on his teammates shoulders.

Does the new Princeton stadium have actual seats? In the old days, you sat on concrete in the general admission area. Not fun if it rained.

aluminum bench seats where I’ve sat. Not sure if they have chair back in sections.

Ivytalk
September 13th, 2021, 08:47 AM
Somehow, I never made it to Brown or Dartmouth. Been to old and new Princeton, old and new Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Yale, and Harvard. Of the ones I’ve been to, new Princeton is the best all around. New Columbia is also impressive, especially considering the dump that was its predecessor. Penn with turf leaves me cold, although it used to rock when it was full. Harvard is the classic uncomfortable concrete horseshoe. Yale has improved in recent years, but Cornell is kind of soulless.

Go Green
September 13th, 2021, 03:14 PM

Hope you weren't at Yale's game the following week. :)

bulldog10jw
September 13th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Hope you weren't at Yale's game the following week. :)

I was. A strange game. Harvard went up 21-0 if I remember right and Yale came back with three TD's and the crowd was going crazy. Then with the score 21-20, Yale missed the XP which would have tied the game.

Even though there was plenty of time left, I could just feel all the air going out of the Yale balloon. Why one point in a game like that should have made a difference, I don't know, but Yale never scored again and Harvard ran away with the game.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about the missed conversion, but over the next few days a bunch of people said they felt the same way.

Were you there Ivytalk?

Go Green
September 13th, 2021, 04:12 PM
THere was a crazy stretch in the late 1980s and early 1990s when the underdog won every time in the Harvard-Yale game.

1989 was definitely a surprise. Yale was a heavy favorite then, IIRC.

Ah well... Any Given Saturday!! :)

Ivytalk
September 13th, 2021, 06:00 PM
I was. A strange game. Harvard went up 21-0 if I remember right and Yale came back with three TD's and the crowd was going crazy. Then with the score 21-20, Yale missed the XP which would have tied the game.

Even though there was plenty of time left, I could just feel all the air going out of the Yale balloon. Why ,one point in a game like that should have made a difference, I don't know, but Yale never scored again and Harvard ran away with the game.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about the missed conversion, but over the next few days a bunch of people said they felt the same way.

Were you there Ivytalk?
No. That was a schizo Harvard team. Gave up 50+ points in consecutive weeks early in the season and got shut out by 80s nemesis Cornell. Finished strong, though. We beat Dartmouth at home, 6-5, in what my best friend’s father (Harvard ‘48) called the worst Ivy game he ever saw.

Sader87
September 13th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Been to:

Dartmouth in many of its iterations since the mid 1960s...my Dad did his medical residency there at the Mary Hitchcock. Hard to beat for atmosphere in October.

Brown many times...kind of a quirky stadium...visiting stands are poor....similar to Fitton on the home-side.

Harvard many times...great sightlines but Boston traffic, sitting on concrete etc bring it down a bit. Still, an iconic venue.

Yale a few times....an iconic venue but not a great place to actually watch a game...stands go up and out rather quickly

Only been to Princeton for the memorable KO return for the win in '89 at Palmer.

Would love to get to Franklin, much like the Palestra, someday.

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2021, 10:46 PM
Seen games at six of the eight (no Brown or Dartmouth)

1. Franklin Field--it's old, I don't care. A great venue. Must have been amazing when 35,000 were watching Penn and Harvard in the 1980's.

2. Princeton Stadium--not historic but great sight lines.

3. Yale Bowl -- historic but not great sight lines.

4. Harvard Stadium - expected more history there, it seemed (pre-renovation) they've spent nothing on it since 1940.

5. Schoellkopf Field - the crescent is majestic, the other side, not so much. Hope this isn't on a target list for a new campus building.

6. Wien Stadium - worst visitors section in the Ivy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2021, 10:59 PM
Franklin Field was still Temple's early season home when I was a student. I enjoyed going to games there even though it felt quite un-natural. Certainly not as "organic" of an experience as watching us play at the Palestra as the designated home team. The 2002 game against #1 Miami has to be the largest football crowd at Franklin Field in the last 25-30 years? The Lehigh-Penn game that year also had a tremendous atmosphere. Lehigh entered ranked #3.....

I love Princeton Stadium! I'm just old enough to REALLY remember Palmer Stadium. I thought that was a really cool place although a large portion (end zone part of the horseshoe) was condemned iirc by 1993.

Trekked to the Yale Bowl twice, '04 and '16 and enjoyed both visits (two Lehigh wins). I actually thought it was a great place to watch the game. I've been to Michigan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium which are similar gently sloping "old bowls" and found those viewing experiences enjoyable as well. The infrastructure and facilities are a disaster though.

I was at Schoellkopf once, 2001, so I can't really comment on its current state. I just remember the crescent (as does everyone else) and the smaller stands/press box on the other side.

There's a strong desire to get to Dartmouth one day for a game; love the area. Unfortunately, Lehigh and Dartmouth haven't crossed paths since the 90's...

Go Green
September 14th, 2021, 07:50 AM
There's a strong desire to get to Dartmouth one day for a game; love the area. Unfortunately, Lehigh and Dartmouth haven't crossed paths since the 90's...

September 23, 2023. Lehigh v. Dartmouth in Hanover. Mark your calendar! :)

2023 Football Schedule - Dartmouth College Athletics (dartmouthsports.com) (https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/football/schedule/2023)

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 12:00 PM

Loved being in Yale Bowl in 2009 to watch our Leopards take away a very easy win...unusual for us vs Yale. Opened 1912 - after Titanic sank that year!

The Boogie Down
September 15th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Seen games at six of the eight (no Brown or Dartmouth)

1. Franklin Field--it's old, I don't care. A great venue. Must have been amazing when 35,000 were watching Penn and Harvard in the 1980's.

2. Princeton Stadium--not historic but great sight lines.

3. Yale Bowl -- historic but not great sight lines.

4. Harvard Stadium - expected more history there, it seemed (pre-renovation) they've spent nothing on it since 1940.

5. Schoellkopf Field - the crescent is majestic, the other side, not so much. Hope this isn't on a target list for a new campus building.

6. Wien Stadium - worst visitors section in the Ivy.

Wondering if Andy Kerr was designed to look like a smaller version of Schoellkopf?