PDA

View Full Version : New Tailgating Policy at UMass for 2007

EmeryZach
August 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM
UMass has new rules for tailgating. The school is seriously trying to ruin our high party school ranking.

The new rules suck. Especially the one about no kegs or drinking games.

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081507aaa.html

So angry right now. We'll see how they enforce it.

PapaBear
August 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
UMass has new rules for tailgating. The school is seriously trying to ruin our high party school ranking.

You guys still have it way better than a lot of schools, where tailgating often is confined to specific parking lots patrolled by cops. At UMass, the cops laughed at me when I asked them where the tailgating lot was. Gotta love that!xnodx xbowx xbowx

McTailGator
August 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I wonder how they would deal with 15000 pissed off Cowboy fans from McNeese who start their tailgating on FRIDAY afternoons, and go until the wee hours of Sunday morning after our Saturday NIGHT games. (;

Our only rules, or:

* Be parked 7 hours before the game to avoid running over someone;

* You must lock up your alcohol during the games to prevent underage drinking and ice chest theft;

* And if you have too much to drink, spend the night.

Don't take your neighbors beer;

bisonguy
August 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Three hours of tailgating before the game sucks. I don't feel so bad now that we're limited to five hours.

I completely understand the rule about having to leave the tailgating area once the game starts. After our experience at Montana State, it is a very good rule (note to Bobcat FANS-it was only a few douchebags that chose to drink, as opposed to going to the game that contributed to the bad experience. The FANS were great!)

No drinking games? How the heck will they enforce that? When I was in college, we had a drinking game called "1,2,3,drink". Someone would count "1,2,3", and then you had to drink.xlolx xlolx

TheValleyRaider
August 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
The 3 hour pregame is kind of lame, but how much tailgating does UMass usually have? Of the two trips I took there, only the night game in 2004 really attracted a crowd of tailgaters, it seemed to me. 3 hours before a 1:00 pm kickoff is 10 am. I'm sure UMassers can party and all, but is football enough of an event there to make pre-10 worth it? Unless UMass is really ready to schedule more and more night games like the one in 2004, it doesn't seem so to me.

PurpleNights
August 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
For the "big" games, most of the crowd arrives about an hour and a half before kickoff........and there's a "no alcohol" policy for athletic events xnonox

DrG
August 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I agree with Raider. Except for a small hard core, there is not much tailgating at UMass three hours before the game, so I don't consider the new rule unreasonable. On the other hand, a 3:00 kickoff, as in the UNH playoff game, is a totally different story. Our rules, by the way, are consistent with or even more lenient than the the tailgating rules at BC, which has been a rude shock to visiting ACC fans.

BDKJMU
August 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
That stuff wouldn't fly south of the Mason Dixon line, heck even south of New England/NY/NJ. Everywhere from Happy Valley south, ACC & SEC and I imagine even with alot of the SoCon. At JMU its 5 hrs, but on homecoming weekend the last 3 yrs I've been tailgating 7+ hours (8 AM or earlier for 3 PM games) beforehand. Just driven around the chained off entrance and over or under a held up rope to this grass lot across from the field. And I'm not the only one there 5-7 hrs beforehand. As long as you have your parking pass displayed. And tailgating has gotten bigger and bigger each year at JMU. If 15-16k jamming the stadium every game, probably at least half of them are tailgating.

I don't know why the fans in New England, esp BC, put up with that. You'd think if many thousands of BC fans flooded the school with calls, letters & emails raising holy hell (no pun intended) about a 3 hr tailgate rule, and started threatening to withhold donations, that would put an end to that. Thats what would happen with the ACC & SEC schools down south if they tried some 3 hr that there. Heck, at the SEC schools they start tailgaiting a day or 2 before.

TheValleyRaider
August 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I don't know why the fans in New England, esp BC, put up with that. You'd think if many thousands of BC fans flooded the school with calls, letters & emails raising holy hell (no pun intended) about a 3 hr tailgate rule, and started threatening to withhold donations, that would put an end to that. Thats what would happen with the ACC & SEC schools down south if they tried some 3 hr that there. Heck, at the SEC schools they start tailgaiting a day or 2 before.

Yeah, but why would they? I highly doubt they were really tailgating that much to begin with, even. I must confess I've never been to a BC game or seen them tailgate, but I can't imagine it even remotely approaches what goes on in other parts of the country. There aren't thousands of BC fans complaining about this because there aren't thousands that are seeing a serious restriction being put on their pre-game experience. xtwocentsx

CatFan22
August 21st, 2007, 12:19 AM
I agree those rules suck. I am pissed at our rules as well. We recently added a rule that you have to have a ticket to get into the tailgate area. I think that is so much BS.

bluehenbillk
August 21st, 2007, 06:47 AM
No kegs? Kegs were banned at UD about 20 years ago.

Apps03
August 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM
For the "big" games, most of the crowd arrives about an hour and a half before kickoff........and there's a "no alcohol" policy for athletic events xnonox

This one isn't enforced where the visitors park or at least wasn't the last time we played in Greenville (2005).

PurpleNights
August 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM
This one isn't enforced where the visitors park or at least wasn't the last time we played in Greenville (2005).

I think as long as it doesn't get "out of hand", no one cares. We just don't have a big tailgating crowd.

Cobblestone
August 21st, 2007, 08:51 AM
I agree with Raider. Except for a small hard core, there is not much tailgating at UMass three hours before the game, so I don't consider the new rule unreasonable. On the other hand, a 3:00 kickoff, as in the UNH playoff game, is a totally different story. Our rules, by the way, are consistent with or even more lenient than the the tailgating rules at BC, which has been a rude shock to visiting ACC fans.

I have to disagree on this one. I've been to a few ACC games at BC and though I am not a tailgater (just go to see football then go home to the family) I don't see where the tailgaiting is bad at all and I have witnessed zero problems whenever I've gone. I usually just walk around the tailgate area before the game to get a good feel for the college football atmosphere. I've seen visiting team fans get well received and in some cases invited over by BC fans to partake in some chow and beer.

If you want to see rude tailgaters check our UCONN sometime. Those "fans" are the biggest idiots I've ever seen in all of sports. Rentschler Field is pretty well known for its problems with out of control drunks.

DrG
August 21st, 2007, 08:51 AM
In fairness to Boston College (and I don't use that phrase very often), they have neighborbood issues to contend with. Their campus is located in an affluent, heavily populated suburban residential area and their neighbors are constantly carping about noise, traffic and drunks on game days. The traffic and parking restrictions are draconian, and you can't park within 5 miles of the stadium unless you are a substantial BC donor. Over time, I think that will get very old to visiting ACC fans. I don't disagree with Cobblestone; I have never seen any problems with BC tailgating. It's mainly an overreaction by the neighbors. And yes, I have heard all the horror stories about UConn.

As for UMass, we have no excuse. We have all the land in the world.

Cobblestone
August 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM
In fairness to Boston College (and I don't use that phrase very often), they have neighborbood issues to contend with. Their campus is located in an affluent, heavily populated suburban residential area and their neighbors are constantly carping about noise, traffic and drunks on game days. The traffic and parking restrictions are draconian, and you can't park within 5 miles of the stadium unless you are a substantial BC donor. Over time, I think that will get very old to visiting ACC fans. I don't disagree with Cobblestone; I have never heard of any problems with BC tailgating. It's mainly an overreaction from the neighbors.

As for UMass, we have no excuse. We have all the land in the world.

Yeah, that's true about the parking. People who park in the lots at Alumni Stadium pay big $$$$ to do so. I always take the MBTA whenever I go there. I notice that most ACC visiting team fans take charter buses to the games, so they pretty much have their own tailgate area right next to their buses. All in all it seems to work pretty well for visitors.

DrG
August 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM
I notice that most ACC visiting team fans take charter buses to the games, so they pretty much have their own tailgate area right next to their buses. All in all it seems to work pretty well for visitors.
But it must be tough for some of those fans to leave their RV's at home!!

89Hen
August 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM

I think as long as it doesn't get "out of hand", no one cares. We just don't have a big tailgating crowd.
Seriously? :( That won't fly when the Hens come to town next year.

GannonFan
August 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
I've been to UMass and I never thought that it was a big tailgating crowd - nothing wrong with that, just not something that seems to be a big deal in New England. How many people could this rule really negatively affect anyway? Tailgating gets bigger as you head down south (although tailgating at the big Big 10 schools (Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St) is more than adequate).

As for BC, where the heck do they tailgate anyway? Parking there for games has to be difficult as it is.

GannonFan
August 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM

Seriously, no alcohol allowed at Furman tailgates? xeekx

Cobblestone
August 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
I've been to UMass and I never thought that it was a big tailgating crowd - nothing wrong with that, just not something that seems to be a big deal in New England. How many people could this rule really negatively affect anyway? Tailgating gets bigger as you head down south (although tailgating at the big Big 10 schools (Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St) is more than adequate).

As for BC, where the heck do they tailgate anyway? Parking there for games has to be difficult as it is.

They have a very small lot for it. In recent years they have started using their baseball field. But either way folks donate big bucks in order to do so.

GannonFan
August 21st, 2007, 09:28 AM
They have a very small lot for it. In recent years they have started using their baseball field. But either way folks donate big bucks in order to do so.

Do they have any remote lots and then just bus people in? (just asking - I've been there at the stadium but never on gameday so I haven't seen it firsthand).

PurpleNights
August 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM

It's a very "family oriented" atmosphere. xoopsx

GannonFan
August 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM

How do you think some families get started in the first place??? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DrG
August 21st, 2007, 09:31 AM

The really high rollers park on the adjacent baseball field. The rest park in various lots spread through the lower campus, and in the garage behind the stadium. All others must either park in satellite lots several miles away and take shuttle buses to the stadium, or take public transportation (which actually is not a bad option ... you just bring your own booze, get off at the MBTA stop and mix in with the campus tailgaters).

But it's true that, aside from BC and the Harvard-Yale game, tailgating is not that big a deal in New England.

ashram
August 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Seriously, no alcohol allowed at Furman tailgates? xeekx

Furman is still technically a dry campus. As long as you're somewhat discreet about it while tailgating you won't be bothered. My friends and I start a minimum of 6 hours before game time and haven't ever really had any trouble.

Ivytalk
August 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM
I wonder how they would deal with 15000 pissed off Cowboy fans from McNeese who start their tailgating on FRIDAY afternoons, and go until the wee hours of Sunday morning after our Saturday NIGHT games. (;

Our only rules, or:

* Be parked 7 hours before the game to avoid running over someone;

* You must lock up your alcohol during the games to prevent underage drinking and ice chest theft;

* And if you have too much to drink, spend the night.

Don't take your neighbors beer;

I think I could live with those!:D xlolx ;)

813Jag
August 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have to disagree on this one. I've been to a few ACC games at BC and though I am not a tailgater (just go to see football then go home to the family) I don't see where the tailgaiting is bad at all and I have witnessed zero problems whenever I've gone. I usually just walk around the tailgate area before the game to get a good feel for the college football atmosphere. I've seen visiting team fans get well received and in some cases invited over by BC fans to partake in some chow and beer.

If you want to see rude tailgaters check our UCONN sometime. Those "fans" are the biggest idiots I've ever seen in all of sports. Rentschler Field is pretty well known for its problems with out of control drunks.
You think that's bad you should go to Tiger Stadium and see the LSU fans. Not all are bad, but the bad ones can be really hard on visiting fans.

Cobblestone
August 21st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Do they have any remote lots and then just bus people in? (just asking - I've been there at the stadium but never on gameday so I haven't seen it firsthand).

Yes they do. It's in Newton Highlands, a few miles from the stadium. Some folks park in that lot for free, I don't know if they allow tailgating, then take a shuttle bus to the stadium.

89Hen
August 21st, 2007, 10:46 AM

How do you think some families get started in the first place??? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
No kidding! TONS of kids in the lots at UD before and after games. xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM
You think that's bad you should go to Tiger Stadium and see the LSU fans. Not all are bad, but the bad ones can be really hard on visiting fans.

Ha! Yeah, I remember those fans in Blacksburg a couple years back when the Hokies crushed them. Their fans were so freakin' high on themselves, you would have though anyone from that school was a god or something... As visiting fans, they were the worst I've ever seen, can't imagine them at home! Probably just a SEC thing...

Having said that, Hokies fans can be quite the asses themselves. After this whole Vick thing and the wild gunman last year, I can't really get a grasp for how they'll be treated in Boton Rouge Sept. 8.

...I'm just glad it's ECU that plays in VT's home opener!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
August 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Ha! Yeah, I remember those fans in Blacksburg a couple years back when the Hokies crushed them. Their fans were so freakin' high on themselves, you would have though anyone from that school was a god or something... As visiting fans, they were the worst I've ever seen, can't imagine them at home! Probably just a SEC thing...

Having said that, Hokies fans can be quite the asses themselves. After this whole Vick thing and the wild gunman last year, I can't really get a grasp for how they'll be treated in Boton Rouge Sept. 8.

...I'm just glad it's ECU that plays in VT's home opener!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

All I have to say is when the buses pull up to the stadium. The team better hold on tight.xlolx

McNeese75
August 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM

xeekx You said it Jag. It can flat get ugly for visitors. xnodx

BDKJMU
August 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM

Yeah, I remember going to the JMU @ Furman 2nd round playoff game in 04'. Most JMU fans, including my 2 carload group, went to the 2 or so hr JMU pre game in Greenville, might have been at a BW3, don't remember. Anyway, that was scheduled till about an hr before the mid afternoon don't remember the exact time game. We ended up getting to the visitors lot about an hr before kickoff as I remember it. Popped open some beers. Some cops came by and told us to keep it discreet, so just kept the cooler in my truck. Pounded a few beers and went into the stadium. Wasn't a problem.

T-Dog
August 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
No kidding! TONS of kids in the lots at UD before and after games. xnodx

Same with App. Families everywhere. Some take their kids to their soccer games in the morning and drive to Boone around noon.

We got rougly 6 hours (9-3) before the 3:30 kickoff and some people start around 8. And if we have leftover alcohol we save it for next week. The cops care more about us throwing away or trash than whose drinking because the trash got a bit out of hand early last year. With a couple hundred student apartments within a mile on the stadium if they stopped the drinking in the lots, it would just migrate to the off-campus housing that are a couple hundred yards and less away from some of the lots. With the town, school, and everything so close together, the general tailgating zone IS the northern half of town.

The school is seriously trying to ruin our high party school ranking.

I seriously doubt many of the negative images from UMass come from pre-game tailgating so I don't get what they're trying to do considering that your tailgating isn't all that huge anyway.