PDA

View Full Version : UNH Home Opener In Doubt?

UNHWildCats
August 19th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Late last week the project that is putting FieldTurf down in Cowell Stadium was started over and if weather isn't cooperative UNH may eventually have to consider moving the game against Dartmouth to Hanover on September 22. The next home game would be October 6. UNH says the field needs to be done by the 17th to allow time to paint the lines.

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Late last week the project that is putting FieldTurf down in Cowell Stadium was started over and if weather isn't cooperative UNH may eventually have to consider moving the game against Dartmouth to Hanover on September 22. The next home game would be October 6. UNH says the field needs to be done by the 17th to allow time to paint the lines.

Too bad, but it won't matter where that game is played with respect to getting a "W" :D

UNHWildCats
August 20th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I wonder if the game is moved if Dartmouth would give the game back next year to UNH thus giving UNH the home games in 08 and 09.....

Tribe4SF
August 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM

The lines are already painted on FieldTurf. They do have to burn out and insert hash marks, logos, etc. I would think they could get this done easily by the 22nd, unless they have to completely redo the drainage layers. This is the first I've heard of a FieldTurf project having a screwup. What happened?

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 20th, 2007, 07:07 AM
There's something about large clay deposites in the area.

I saw that the decision to "start over" was made to excavate deeper.

I'll add a link if I can find one.

UncleSam
August 20th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I wonder if the game is moved if Dartmouth would give the game back next year to UNH thus giving UNH the home games in 08 and 09.....

When Delaware had to move a scheduled home game to Richmond in '05, UD did NOT get the game back, they had to play at UR in both '05 and '06.

bluehenbillk
August 20th, 2007, 08:19 AM
After going thru that as a UD fan I can sympathize with the UNH fans.

89Hen
August 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Late last week the project that is putting FieldTurf down in Cowell Stadium was started over
What happened?

Cap'n Cat
August 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Piss on the turf, what about the rest of that broken down-ass place?

UNH_ORACLE
August 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM

hahahaha, that was some funny *****!!! And a great question....

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

wildcat_fan
August 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
My question is, will tickets bought for the Durham game be honored for the game if it has to be played in Hanover? I just bought tickets for my entire family--husband, parents and brother. We are all coming up to NH (from Florida, Maryland and Mass.) just for this game because I think it's the last time UNH plays Dartmouth and I want to savor the drubbing we put on those bums.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 20th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I'm sure your tickets will be good.
If the weather stays dry this will be a non-issue, the field will be done.

DTSpider
August 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
When Delaware had to move a scheduled home game to Richmond in '05, UD did NOT get the game back, they had to play at UR in both '05 and '06.

That's a little different. UD & UR was a conference game and switching the next year would have screwed up everyone's schedule in the division.

UNHWildCats
August 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
My question is, will tickets bought for the Durham game be honored for the game if it has to be played in Hanover? I just bought tickets for my entire family--husband, parents and brother. We are all coming up to NH (from Florida, Maryland and Mass.) just for this game because I think it's the last time UNH plays Dartmouth and I want to savor the drubbing we put on those bums.

UNH appears on Dartmouth's future schedules through 2011

89Hen
August 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
That's a little different. UD & UR was a conference game and switching the next year would have screwed up everyone's schedule in the division.
xconfusedx No more than moving the game to Richmond did.

Ronbo
August 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM

You know what I notice about you. You don't talk football. You just insult people and smack schools. This is a football board and you think you're Don Rickles. Hardy Har Har Har! xlolx

TheValleyRaider
August 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
You may have to put up with 3 straight trips to Hanover. They'll probably cut some deal with you where the money made goes to UNH, but otherwise what's their motivation for switching their "perfectly assembled" schedules each year? I wouldn't worry too much. Disappointing for, say, UNH Seniors who were looking to beat Dartmouth at home this year (if indeed they care much about Dartmouth), but that's not going to be fixed by switching games. It's not as if UNH has never gone to Hanover before, and you'll still probably win anyway. xtwocentsx

UNHWildCats
August 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
You may have to put up with 3 straight trips to Hanover. They'll probably cut some deal with you where the money made goes to UNH, but otherwise what's their motivation for switching their "perfectly assembled" schedules each year? I wouldn't worry too much. Disappointing for, say, UNH Seniors who were looking to beat Dartmouth at home this year (if indeed they care much about Dartmouth), but that's not going to be fixed by switching games. It's not as if UNH has never gone to Hanover before, and you'll still probably win anyway. xtwocentsx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx the outcome is in no way in question xreadx

WildcatFan
August 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx the outcome is in no way in question xreadx

I for one do not write-off any team - that is why it is Any Given Saturday.

UAalum72
August 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't have had these problems if you'd just put down some grass seed and Miracle-Gro. Where's Mplsbison?

Spider
August 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Richmond didn't create the problem, Delaware did.........

TheValleyRaider
August 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I for one do not write-off any team - that is why it is Any Given Saturday.

You may not, but I'm an outsider to UNH, and don't have to be so gracious to their opponents :D

I say they'll whip the Green, no problem. xwhistlex

Cap'n Cat
August 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
You know what I notice about you. You don't talk football. You just insult people and smack schools. This is a football board and you think you're Don Rickles. Hardy Har Har Har! xlolx

See, ahole, if you ever traveled outside the Big Sky, you'd know that UNH needs a new stadium. I did something you would never do - drive 29 hours with some friends to see that game. The place is a dump, son.

And you give BisonKent crap............xcoffeex

And, I know more about college football that you could ever hope to know. You are a pissant and a wannabe, son. You played flag football in the sixth grade until all the girls started beating your slow, tiny ass and, now, you promote a faux expertise in the sport. People laugh at you, Ronbo. Count on it. Your sad life consists of Griz football and Griz football only, because there is nothing else. Look around you at the people snickering!

Sorry to break this to you, but, hey, I gotta calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

Now go back to that bj you were delivering to Coach Hauck and the AD.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MarkCCU
August 21st, 2007, 07:23 AM

Ha ha. That's true. It's a good think they don't have to play there.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MarkCCU
August 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM

You need to venture out more and get to know the Cap'n before making stupid comments like that.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 21st, 2007, 07:49 AM
http://unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=CA1D6500-9C14-9F72-F17E60B7B6771786&pid=7071E2AD-9D52-F265-FA88543E7336A1DE&archive=0

Doesn't give much info but we should be ready by Sept 22nd.

Cap'n, hopefully...HOPEFULLY, the turf is step one in the stadium up grade.

What we're dealing with is that college football is not real important to the residents of New Hampshire.

After we get the stadium done you'll have to make another trip out here.
I'll show you not all UNH fans are like the ones you ran into on your last trip.xpeacex

89Hen
August 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM
Richmond didn't create the problem, Delaware did.........
I wasn't saying it should have moved to UD the next year, I was just pointing out that it wouldn't affect the rest of the conference as you stated. xpeacex

Ronbo
August 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
See, ahole, if you ever traveled outside the Big Sky, you'd know that UNH needs a new stadium. I did something you would never do - drive 29 hours with some friends to see that game. The place is a dump, son.

And you give BisonKent crap............xcoffeex

And, I know more about college football that you could ever hope to know. You are a pissant and a wannabe, son. You played flag football in the sixth grade until all the girls started beating your slow, tiny ass and, now, you promote a faux expertise in the sport. People laugh at you, Ronbo. Count on it. Your sad life consists of Griz football and Griz football only, because there is nothing else. Look around you at the people snickering!

Sorry to break this to you, but, hey, I gotta calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

Now go back to that bj you were delivering to Coach Hauck and the AD.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You don't know anything about me dude. Where did you get your info? You've got a private investagator that knows what my activities are outside of Griz football? I have a season ticket to a local ski area, I own a 25 foot sailboat, I collect ancient coins from Greek and Roman empires, I have played electric guitar since I was about 13, I own an Online business that allowed me to retire from the workforce in 2001. I'm actually pretty busy outside of Griz football. Thankyou for telling everyone what I do when you have no knowledge and it's just cheap smack which you are famous for.

I grew up in Southern Cal. and played HS ball there at a school in Long Beach with 4200 students where 200 kids came out for Varsity ball for 60 spots on the roster. My family had season tickets to USC games for 20 years and I attended their games since I was 5. I played JC ball and went on to play at a school that is in the WAC now but was in the Big West at the time.

You had a nice College career but you are the one that lives in the past and tries to make out like you're some big shot because you played some college ball. This is the first time I've ever even mentioned my playing days online. You might know more about football than me but what does that have to do with your disrespect and insults to everyone? You should be careful about all the bragging about your playing days and football knowledge because there are a lot more ex football jocks on these football boards than you realize. Thousands of guys play college ball every year, are you so arrogant that you think you are the only one that posts on message boards and everyone else were flag football players? I know some ex Griz players that post on these boards and you'd never know because they don't try to be some kind of messageboard celebrity because they played.

As far as being a big Montana booster yes I am and proud of it. I don't post anymore info about Montana than dozens and dozens of others do for their favorite teams. But for some reason Montana guys get jumped on for posting news about the team.

It's great to have three college teams to follow and Montana is my local team, but I get back to California to catch a game at my Alma Mater every year and catch all the USC games I can on TV. So I'm not exactly stuck in the Big Sky. Peace. :D I am expecting some kind of disrespectful smack response to this post because that's your MO.xnonono2x

McNeese_beat
August 21st, 2007, 11:12 AM
McNeese has delayed installation of a new turf until after this season to avoid what's happening here (the turf company wanted to put it in in June and guaranteed its completion in a timely manner). I'm sure that they'll read this and be glad they did what they did.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM
http://unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=CA1D6500-9C14-9F72-F17E60B7B6771786&pid=7071E2AD-9D52-F265-FA88543E7336A1DE&archive=0

Doesn't give much info but we should be ready by Sept 22nd.

Cap'n, hopefully...HOPEFULLY, the turf is step one in the stadium up grade.

What we're dealing with is that college football is not real important to the residents of New Hampshire.

It's not just college football, it is the entire university system. From the time I was in school back in the Dark Ages to today, I believe New Hampshire fights it out with Alabama for the least amount of state support. As a result the number of out of state students has increased significantly over the past 30+ years. And today fundraising takes on similarity to a private institution as UNH attempts to offset the lack of state support with endowments and donations as well as a high out of state demographic.

The residents of New Hampshire don't want to fund a university system that truly has a mission of educating its residents -- no room for borderline in-state students any more. Everyone is dreaming if they expect the state to fund a new stadium. UNH Alumni need to understand this dynamic and develop the same type of donating that seems to be ingrained into alumni of the private institutions. And hope that a couple of corporations step up too! That's the only way a new stadium is happening. xtwocentsx

After we get the stadium done you'll have to make another trip out here.
I'll show you not all UNH fans are like the ones you ran into on your last trip.xpeacex

I'll second that and I'm sure UNHWildcats05, UNH 40, VT Wildcat Fan53 and many others would also like to welcome you back to the Granite State.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM
McNeese has delayed installation of a new turf until after this season to avoid what's happening here (the turf company wanted to put it in in June and guaranteed its completion in a timely manner). I'm sure that they'll read this and be glad they did what they did.

Maybe because you're so far south you get two windows of opportunity -- summer as well as the period after football season until graduation. For UNH I believe the only window for construction is after graduation and before the first football game. I'm betting that folks are wishing they started the project sooner after graduation, but at least this year's schedule didn't have a home game until week four of the season. (UNH has a bye week one then two road games.) Arguably, this year might have been the longest construction window available for UNH.

After the mid-season resodding required due to monsoons in 2005 and the proximity of College Brook and Oyster River which flooded the field in May 2006 requiring graduation to be held elsewhere, I wasn't surprised there were issues with the soil.

Marcus Garvey
August 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
What about moving it to Manchester or Nashua? UNH could play in Gill Stadium. Sure, it has *****ty lines of sight, but the Turf is installed! LOL
Forget the new stadium though. I doubt the Fisher Cats would let UNH play a football game in their new baseball stadium.
Maybe move it to Nashua's high school stadium? I realize these aren't likely, but maybe they should have been explored.

UNHWildCats
August 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
What about moving it to Manchester or Nashua? UNH could play in Gill Stadium. Sure, it has *****ty lines of sight, but the Turf is installed! LOL
Forget the new stadium though. I doubt the Fisher Cats would let UNH play a football game in their new baseball stadium.
Maybe move it to Nashua's high school stadium? I realize these aren't likely, but maybe they should have been explored.

I have asked in the past about what the farthers a schools stadium was from campus....

I think Manchester would be a great place for a stadium. You have the major interstate right there plus 101 that connects the eastern and western parts of the state with Manchester...though 101 west of Manchester is hardlya easy drive but headiong east of Manchester its a rather new highway...

If they built a stadium in Manchester you could make a nice deal...get Manchester and the state to chip in and allow the Manchester schools to play there Varsity games there on friday nights and then a late afternoon game after the UNH game clears out or an early afternoon game when UNH is on the road this gives Manchester 2 game slots a week and sets them to schedule the other 2 city schools for road games that week and vice versa....

Also being in Manchester it could give them a chance for a naming rights deal that could be more lucrative then in Durham.

If that couldn't happen they could look into playing at Merhcants.com stadium the new baseball stadium on the banks of the Merrimack River thats home of the AA New Hampshire Fishercats.

UNHWildCats
August 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM

ok read beyond Manchester after I posted my first response.

Manchester owns the stadium so ultimatly it would be up to the city if thyey wanted to allow them to play there.... but its obviously not a lock that it could happen...

We could always play arena rules at the Verizon Arena xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM
From what I've heard, a stadium enhancement in Durham is being described as creating a multi-use facility that could become the home to all the HS state championship games in football, soccer and lacrosse (maybe even field hockey too) as well as a host for regular season HS games on the same weekend as UNH Football (due to the field turf and lights). I've never heard any site but campus discussed.

That's fine with me as I think on campus facilities are preferable. Make it as easy as possible for the students to attend. And frankly as an alum, I want to return to campus for a game, not go to some other city. And it isn't like the ride to Durham from Nashua, Manchester, Concord or even Boston for that matter is all that long or difficult.

As for a temporary solution in case the project isn't completed, going to Hanover in the grand scheme of things wouldn't be the end of the world. It isn't like this project could have been completed at any other time. Compared to the ice hockey team playing an entire season away from Durham, one game would be a minor nuisance.

Yes, it would be a royal pain in the arse for Wildcat_Fan and her crew as well as many others, but what other options exist? Based on what I saw on the web, Gill Stadium only has a capacity of around 3K and Holman Stadium in Nashua only 4K. I don't know the size of any of the NH HS stadiums, but I doubt any have adequate capacity. So, if not at Dartmouth, then I guess you look to Harvard, Northeastern or Holy Cross (haven't researched to see if they're on the road). AFAIK, only Parsons has field turf. Harvard and Holy Cross probably wouldn't want another game played on their grass anyway. The Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA (16K capacity) has been demolished based on what I found on the web. Phelps Stadium at Phillips Exeter Academy has field turf and a 5K capacity. Starts to make Hanover look a lot better!!

Marcus Garvey
August 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yes, it would be a royal pain in the arse for Wildcat_Fan and her crew as well as many others, but what other options exist? Based on what I saw on the web, Gill Stadium only has a capacity of around 3K and Holman Stadium in Nashua only 4K. I don't know the size of any of the NH HS stadiums, but I doubt any have adequate capacity.

I take it you must mean that Gill and Holman are too big for a UNH game! ZING!!!!!!

xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
I take it you must mean that Gill and Holman are too big for a UNH game! ZING!!!!!!

xlolx

You obviously haven't been to a UNH home game in a while.

At times during the past few seasons we've had 2 or 3 thousand peeing in the woods behind the visitors stands alone!

Our numbers are way up.

Zing Zingxsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Marcus Garvey
August 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM
You obviously haven't been to a UNH home game in a while.

At times during the past few seasons we've had 2 or 3 thousand peeing in the woods behind the visitors stands alone!

Our numbers are way up.

Zing Zingxsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Actually, I knew that. UNH averaged over 8,000 per game last year. But when I lived in NH, the crowds were like 3,500, with 3,000 of the fans asking each other, "When does hockey season start?"

Incidently, I used to live in Nashua. I seldom made it to UNH games because driving to Durham from there was a pain in the a$$. It was easier and faster for me to go to games at Harvard, N'eastern or BU.

With respect to UNHWildcat's idea of putting home games in Manchester in a new stadium: That doesn't make sense.
Let's make an assumption that the average attendance will, at worst, remain the same at a new stadium. That still doesn't justify the cost of building a modern stadium up to I-AA standards. Yes, the Manchester schools could use a real football stadium, but not one so expensive as to meet UNH's needs. Durham's location is not the reason why UNH's attendance isn't higher. Rather, it's due to a general apathy with respect to football that can be found throughout northern New England.

UNHWildCats
August 21st, 2007, 06:25 PM
at Gill from when i attended Manchester Memorial games there If I remember correctly theres the seating under the room then on the oposite side there was a section of portable bleachers.... they could fit a few more sections of portable bleachers on the far sideline... though I doubt theres room behind the endzones for bleachers there.

Gill has a baseball capacity of 4,250 that obviosuly doens tinclude the portable bleachers onj the far sideline :p

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
I belive we would draw 15k if we had a class place.

I think it has to be on campus. You have to make it easy for the students.
A good student section adds so much to the atmosphere.

UNHWildCats
August 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM

Certainly because if we had a class place we could sign top schools to home and home series instead of playing Iona's.... That alone would help the attendance even in down years.

dwtime
August 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't have had these problems if you'd just put down some grass seed and Miracle-Gro. Where's Mplsbison?

No way grass is too slow, I have something better and faster........Ch Ch Ch Chia!

Now that would be one hell of a football field!!! xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM
Is there any local HS stadiums that UNH could play at that would be large enough? I wonder how much colleges have backup plans for situations like this. There was a chance Lehighm might have had to move their game against Yale two years ago to Liberty HS's Stadium. The stadium would be more than suffucient to hold a game in an emergency situation. It sits about 12,000.

http://www.hurricanefootball.org/images/banko1small.jpg

http://www.hurricanefootball.org/images/banko6small.jpg

http://www.hurricanefootball.org/images/banko12small.jpg

http://www.hurricanefootball.org/images/aerial1small.jpg

Marcus Garvey
August 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM

Yes! And it would be located on Gumdrop Lane next to a river of chocolate! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maybe 15k for an occasional big game. But UMass, which historically has had a much better following for football doesn't draw that well. I don't see what you could be basing that claim on.
It's not the stadium that keeps the fans away (although it doesn't help draw them either.)

umassfan
August 22nd, 2007, 04:19 AM
Yes! And it would be located on Gumdrop Lane next to a river of chocolate! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maybe 15k for an occasional big game. But UMass, which historically has had a much better following for football doesn't draw that well. I don't see what you could be basing that claim on.
It's not the stadium that keeps the fans away (although it doesn't help draw them either.)

Id say 10,000 + isnt that bad for FCS. Im sure after last season we will increase the following again. Our problem has been staying at the top. We have some good years then fall down and build back up. We shouldnt have that problem this season though.

wildcat_fan
August 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM

True, but when your stadium is as decrepit as Cowell, it's an embarrassment to everyone. As much as I have a historical fondness for Cowell and the Field House--my great aunt used to work for Andy Mooradian when he was AD, and my cousin and I would spend our summers prowling every nook and cranny of the Field House--it really is an embarrassment to the school and thus doesn't help motivate support (or respect) for the program.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

We're going to build it in a cornfield in Lee.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Marcus Garvey
August 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Is there any local HS stadiums that UNH could play at that would be large enough? I wonder how much colleges have backup plans for situations like this. There was a chance Lehighm might have had to move their game against Yale two years ago to Liberty HS's Stadium. The stadium would be more than suffucient to hold a game in an emergency situation. It sits about 12,000.

It's a little bigger than that. It's somewhere between 13,000 and 14,000. Nearly 20 years ago, when Phillipsburg was in the old East Penn Conf., they and Becahi played a game there. Both teams were ranked #1 in their respective classificaitons (NJ and PA). The attendance was said to have been over 13,000.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
It's a little bigger than that. It's somewhere between 13,000 and 14,000. Nearly 20 years ago, when Phillipsburg was in the old East Penn Conf., they and Becahi played a game there. Both teams were ranked #1 in their respective classificaitons (NJ and PA). The attendance was said to have been over 13,000.

THe biggest game there i remember was Becahi and Allentown Central Catholic in the mid 90's when Becca had Kendra who was at the time the #1 HS prospect in the country and ACC was ranked #1 in the country. That game drew around 15,000 and got national attention.

Marcus Garvey
August 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
THe biggest game there i remember was Becahi and Allentown Central Catholic in the mid 90's when Becca had Kendra who was at the time the #1 HS prospect in the country and ACC was ranked #1 in the country. That game drew around 15,000 and got national attention.

I enjoyed watching Dan Kendra's college career unravel.... as a Liberty grad, that was disturbingly sastifying for me. xnodx And you know what? I have no problem with that.
The only thing I think I'd enjoy more is hearing that Bob Stem has died of gonnoreah and gone to hell!

bcrawf
August 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
UNI played a game against McNeese St at Waterloo Memorial Stadium (High School Stadium that holds about 6,000) in 1997 while the Dome was having its roof redone...

We put 11,000 in there that night

OxSoxUNH05
August 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Dover High School has a pretty good size stadium, for a NH high school, atleast from driving by it looks like it would hold at least what Cowell can.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM

I also think that 15K should be the minimum capacity for UNH's Football Stadium. I base that on the numbers that attended games in the late 70's and during the 80's and into the early 90's before the Title IX impact (dropping baseball, lacrosse and wrestling) and tailgating modifications (banning alcohol (for one year IIRC)) absolutely gutted attendance. The attendance record at Cowell is 20K for the 1977 game with UMass with the Yankee Conference Title and D-II playoff bid at stake.

I also look at 13K attending Homecoming last year when only 7,500 were going to get seats! If that many were willing to stand, I think more would have shown up if they knew more seats were available. And IMO the crowd that day didn't appear much larger than the playoff games vs. Colgate and Northern Iowa nor regular season games vs. Maine and UMass the past couple of years. There have been multiple games during the past three years that I believe many more would have attended if they thought they had a chance of getting a seat. And before last year, only 6,500 got seats!

And just for the record, last year's attendance would have been even higher if UNH counted tickets sold for that gawd awful monsoon game against Hofstra. A crowd of 10K+ was anticipated but only the 2K or so who went through the turnstiles were accounted for in the attendance figures.

UNH has more students and alumni today and Southern NH has a larger population today than during that 70's to 90's stretch, especially the earlier years. With the completion of I-93, I-293 and the limited access highway portion of SR 101 East of Manchester, the trip to Durham is much easier from Manchester and Nashua today.

And football has proven to be the other sport besides ice hockey that can draw at UNH. To me, you've got to market the heck out of it and maximize gate revenue in order to compete with schools with more resources. Educate the alumni and other followers how important this revenue is to maintaining a high level of play. Make sure you have a venue that can generate this revenue. JMHO.

And you know what, UNH is going to need a venue that large to hold the graduation ceremony! Even with all the chairs on the playing field, I still don't know how they got 19K+ into Cowell for this year's ceremony? And there were another 3K watching in Lundholm and the Whittemore Center!!

McNeese75
August 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
UNI played a game against McNeese St at Waterloo Memorial Stadium (High School Stadium that holds about 6,000) in 1997 while the Dome was having its roof redone...

We put 11,000 in there that night

You needed a few more :D