PDA

View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 2, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
September 7th, 2021, 12:46 PM
I was waiting until the AGS Top 25 poll was released to start this (so I could put the correct rankings here and in the poll). In the future, the GOTW thread will be released on Monday afternoons (after the AGS Poll results are released weekly).

There are lots of FCS @ FBS, or the opposite end of the spectrum, D2 @ FCS, games this week. Still, there are a few FCS vs. FCS matchups of particular interest.

I will try to select nine games (or less) per week, as the poll is limited to 10 choices (with the 10th reserved for “Other”). There were a number of fringe games that I had to make a call on, and UC Davis @ San Diego fell just “outside the bubble” (for me); however, I am happy to read why Merrimack @ Holy Cross, or Rhode Island @ Albany, or Southeast Missouri State @ Sam Houston State, or Weber State @ Dixie State, or...see where I am going with this, belong on the list (or should have been removed). Perhaps the game of the week is not even on this list...I don’t think so, but it is possible. Anywho, pick away and enjoy your Week 2 in the FCS.

#39 Southeast Missouri State (OVC) @ #2 Sam Houston State (WAC)

Maine (CAA) @ #3 James Madison (CAA)

#10 Weber State (Big Sky) @ Dixie State (WAC)

#16 Northern Iowa (MVFC) @ #32 Sac State (Big Sky)

#17 Central Arkansas (ASUN) @ #21 Missouri State (MVFC)

Merrimack (NEC) @ #24 Holy Cross (Patriot)

Towson (CAA) @ #27 New Hampshire (CAA)

#31 Chattanooga (SoCon) @ North Alabama (Big South)

#33 Rhode Island (CAA) @ Albany (CAA)

Preferred Walk-On
September 7th, 2021, 12:49 PM
My apologies, as when I previewed the poll, it deselected the box (which I had originally selected) to show who voted for which game. If someone knows a way to fix this after-the-fact, let me know.

grizband
September 7th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Western Illinois @ Montana as a possible option?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Preferred Walk-On
September 7th, 2021, 01:18 PM
Western Illinois @ Montana as a possible option?

It was on the bubble, but which game do you remove then to make it one of the 9 poll options? That was the struggle for me. If I had to make this call, I would remove the Chattanooga @ North Alabama game; however, I want to see who the Mocs rebound after last week.

Katfan
September 7th, 2021, 01:26 PM
I voted for UCA vs Missouri State, but I think the JMU vs Maine will help put the CAA in perspective

Daytripper
September 7th, 2021, 02:02 PM
I voted for UCA vs Missouri State, but I think the JMU vs Maine will help put the CAA in perspective

Agree. The one game of the choices that has me shaking my head is Weber v. Dixie St. It's an in-state game, but I wouldn't call it a rivalry. Weber is really good. Dixie is transitioning from D-II.

Preferred Walk-On
September 7th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Agree. The one game of the choices that has me shaking my head is Weber v. Dixie St. It's an in-state game, but I wouldn't call it a rivalry. Weber is really good. Dixie is transitioning from D-II.

That's cool. Which game do you substitute in? Any? Also, I have seen a fair amount of posts about Dixie State's schedule, and they did only lose to Sac State 19-7 (12-7 at half) last week. xdontknowx

Daytripper
September 7th, 2021, 02:29 PM
That's cool. Which game do you substitute in? Any? Also, I have seen a fair amount of posts about Dixie State's schedule, and they did only lose to Sac State 19-7 (12-7 at half) last week. xdontknowx

Probably WIU v. Montana, but at this point there aren't really any good options. It's just all personal taste and regional/conference interest. Your list is good.

OhioHen
September 7th, 2021, 02:43 PM
Central Arkansas-Missouri State is intriguing, but I went with Maine-JMU because the back-to-back week comparison of JMU to Delaware against the same team will help sort out the relative strength of the top CAA contenders.

Catbooster
September 7th, 2021, 02:57 PM
Central Arkansas vs. Missouri State. Several good options, but I almost always pick out of conference games for this. The in-conference teams will get sorted out regardless - lots fewer chances to compare across conferences.

Bisonoline
September 7th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Looks like there are some interesting match ups this week.

grizband
September 7th, 2021, 04:02 PM
It was on the bubble, but which game do you remove then to make it one of the 9 poll options? That was the struggle for me. If I had to make this call, I would remove the Chattanooga @ North Alabama game; however, I want to see who the Mocs rebound after last week.That's probably the game I would remove. Montana beat a Pac 12 title contender, and WIU hung tight with a conference leading G5 program. Seems like as good a criteria as any to be a candidate.

Preferred Walk-On
September 7th, 2021, 04:24 PM
That's probably the game I would remove. Montana beat a Pac 12 title contender, and WIU hung tight with a conference leading G5 program. Seems like as good a criteria as any to be a candidate.

Don't disagree. Unfortunately, it will have to be "Other" this week. Perhaps too much is being placed on one game (the very first game of the season) against FBS competition, in both of these cases. That said, was impressed that Montana won their game and surprised? that Western Illinois had the showing they did.

grizband
September 7th, 2021, 05:08 PM
Don't disagree. Unfortunately, it will have to be "Other" this week. Perhaps too much is being placed on one game (the very first game of the season) against FBS competition, in both of these cases. That said, was impressed that Montana won their game and surprised? that Western Illinois had the showing they did.Perhaps, and I agree with much of what you said. However, I still believe it's a bigger game than North Alabama vs Chattanooga, but I suppose that's my opinion.

Preferred Walk-On
September 9th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Bump, for those that may not have voted but would like to.

acbearkat
September 9th, 2021, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking the SEMO/SHSU game will be over by halftime, if not the end of the third quarter. I think you'll see a pretty big crowd on hand in Huntsville on Saturday. I'm surprised this week wasn't Bearkat Family Weekend, which certainly would have helped attendance.

RabidRabbit
September 9th, 2021, 09:55 AM
UCA @ MoSt

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2021, 10:06 AM
SEMO vs SHSU will be a bloodbath.

UCA vs Missouri State is the most interesting game in a vaccum.

UNA vs Chatt is interesting to me personally because I'm still waiting for UNA to take their step to the next level and because nooga sux.

ElCid
September 9th, 2021, 10:09 AM
SEMO vs SHSU will be a bloodbath.

UCA vs Missouri State is the most interesting game in a vaccum.

UNA vs Chatt is interesting to me personally because I'm still waiting for UNA to take their step to the next level and because nooga sux.

Maybe they take it next week...since y'all suck as well...at least according to you.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Maybe they take it next week...since y'all suck as well...at least according to you.

If they don't beat us I'll be concerned. Beating JSU at this point isn't an achievement.

kdinva
September 9th, 2021, 01:47 PM
......UNA vs Chatt is interesting to me personally because I'm still waiting for UNA to take their step to the next level and because nooga sux.

ouch! xslapfightx

HensRock
September 9th, 2021, 04:35 PM
I picked Weber St. at Dixie St. for a few reasons:
1. It's AT Dixie St. and I'd like to see how they match up against a Top FCS opponent. (I know they already lost at home to Sac St.)
2. It's an In-State matchup - so while the two are not exactly rivals, they are probably familiar with each other.
3. Dixie St. travels to Delaware later this year.

So has anyone else noticed Dixie St.'s schedule? Talk about an FCS Baptism by fire!
To borrow from Parks&Rec, It's ReDONKulous!

They start by hosting Sac St. and #10 Weber.
Then go on the road to #12 UC-Davis, #1 SDSU, and #4 Montana
They come home to host Tarleton St. and SFA.
Then back on the road all the way to east coast to battle #6 Delaware and then #2 Sam Houston !
They finish at home hosting DII Fort Lewis and #21 Missouri State.

That's 7 nationally ranked FCS Opponents. 3 of the top 4, 4 of the top 6 and 5 of the top 10.
(5 of the 7 are on the road, including the top 4)

Preferred Walk-On
September 9th, 2021, 05:09 PM
I picked Weber St. at Dixie St. for a few reasons:
1. It's AT Dixie St. and I'd like to see how they match up against a Top FCS opponent. (I know they already lost at home to Sac St.)
2. It's an In-State matchup - so while the two are not exactly rivals, they are probably familiar with each other.
3. Dixie St. travels to Delaware later this year.

So has anyone else noticed Dixie St.'s schedule? Talk about an FCS Baptism by fire!
To borrow from Parks&Rec, It's ReDONKulous!

They start by hosting Sac St. and #10 Weber.
Then go on the road to #12 UC-Davis, #1 SDSU, and #4 Montana
They come home to host Tarleton St. and SFA.
Then back on the road all the way to east coast to battle #6 Delaware and then #2 Sam Houston !
They finish at home hosting DII Fort Lewis and #21 Missouri State.

That's 7 nationally ranked FCS Opponents. 3 of the top 4, 4 of the top 6 and 5 of the top 10.
(5 of the 7 are on the road, including the top 4)

Yep, it looks like a doozy (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?277708-Dixie-State-Looks-to-Have-One-of-the-Tougher-FCS-Schedules&p=2983708&viewfull=1#post2983708).