PDA

View Full Version : Fordham and/or Patriot league peeps? Monmouth Game-

MUHAWKS
September 6th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Monmouth @ Fordham now becomes a HUGE game. While technically Fordham can just focus on beating HC and winning the patriot League and we are sort of doing the same, albeit with more than 1 team to contend with, this game is enormous for momentum. I guess Lafayette can have something to say about The PL but I am just assuming this is Holy Cross/Fordham. No disrespect to any other PL members but seems that is the way most see it?

Anyway, Fordham has 2 "play up games" after us and 0-4, even with the schedule being tough would not bode well although again, it really is all about the PL schedule and HC. So I am a little nervous about this game. I keep hearing Fordham has some serious players. I know about the QB and LB but the way Nebraska made it seem, they have a bunch of guys.

Our game with Middle Tennessee State was tough to get a good feel. The score said blowout but this was a 7-7 game with like 4 minutes to go in the first half with MU outgaining MTS and also dominating time of possession. Then with us driving to to take a late first half lead, there was a strip sack that gave MTS the ball at midfield. They scored a couple minutes later. We received the ensuing kick with about 2 minutes left and after a first down, we fumbled the ball at our own 35. A total breakdown in coverage led to another MTS TD and a 21-7 halftime edge. Up until the first turnover, MTS just had a Punt Return for a TD and honestly not much else. We were moving the ball in a decent fashion and playing very well on D. The turnovers were detrimental. Even after this though, we battled. They scored again in the middle of the 3rd Q and we got the kickoff after that and marched 80 yards for a score and 2 pt conversion to make it 28-15 at the end of 3. 28-15 on the road against what I see as a decent team (they look like they may be okay) after 3 turnovers and a special teams score is really not horrendous. We had the ball with a chance to make it a 1 score game early in the 4th and our QB threw a very bad pick 6. Again, turnover. From there it seemed like everything deflated. We went for it on 4th down from our own 30 giving them a short field and the rest is history- 50-15 final but I try not to be too biased, however it did nto seem that they were really that much better than us. We did not get beat my talent or speed, we beat ourselves and yes they had a lot to do with it, but I hope you know what I mean.

Anyway, even though we can lose this game and still win the Big South, I feel we REALLY need this for momentum. With all Big South games being sort of tough and Holy Cross coming to to town 2 weeks after, this is a big on and I think our staff and team knows this. We are very banged up being down 4 starters (3 on defense) but definitely not an excuse.

For the first time in a while I do not know what to think. Logic and my actual eyes tell me this is still very much the team that has dominated the Big South for the last 2 seasons and took Sam Houston to the final minute. But psychology is a huge factor and I am just hoping we did not come in over confident. Knowing this staff it seems there is no way they would let that occur so I am going to go with the fact that we played a team that is better than the "*****ty bottom tier FBS" that they are perceived as and played well but self destructed. With that said, we are down 4 starters and have some new faces on both sides. This will be interesting.

Any legit analysis of Fordham as a team? On paper, this is a game MU should win I think, but I feel Fordham may be sort of decent. Where does Fordham think they stand? Any thoughts/comments are welcome and appreciated.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Monmouth @ Fordham now becomes a HUGE game. While technically Fordham can just focus on beating HC and winning the patriot League and we are sort of doing the same, albeit with more than 1 team to contend with, this game is enormous for momentum. I guess Lafayette can have something to say about The PL but I am just assuming this is Holy Cross/Fordham. No disrespect to any other PL members but seems that is the way most see it?

Anyway, Fordham has 2 "play up games" after us and 0-4, even with the schedule being tough would not bode well although again, it really is all about the PL schedule and HC. So I am a little nervous about this game. I keep hearing Fordham has some serious players. I know about the QB and LB but the way Nebraska made it seem, they have a bunch of guys.

Our game with Middle Tennessee State was tough to get a good feel. The score said blowout but this was a 7-7 game with like 4 minutes to go in the first half with MU outgaining MTS and also dominating time of possession. Then with us driving to to take a late first half lead, there was a strip sack that gave MTS the ball at midfield. They scored a couple minutes later. We received the ensuing kick with about 2 minutes left and after a first down, we fumbled the ball at our own 35. A total breakdown in coverage led to another MTS TD and a 21-7 halftime edge. Up until the first turnover, MTS just had a Punt Return for a TD and honestly not much else. We were moving the ball in a decent fashion and playing very well on D. The turnovers were detrimental. Even after this though, we battled. They scored again in the middle of the 3rd Q and we got the kickoff after that and marched 80 yards for a score and 2 pt conversion to make it 28-15 at the end of 3. 28-15 on the road against what I see as a decent team (they look like they may be okay) after 3 turnovers and a special teams score is really not horrendous. We had the ball with a chance to make it a 1 score game early in the 4th and our QB threw a very bad pick 6. Again, turnover. From there it seemed like everything deflated. We went for it on 4th down from our own 30 giving them a short field and the rest is history- 50-15 final but I try not to be too biased, however it did nto seem that they were really that much better than us. We did not get beat my talent or speed, we beat ourselves and yes they had a lot to do with it, but I hope you know what I mean.

Anyway, even though we can lose this game and still win the Big South, I feel we REALLY need this for momentum. With all Big South games being sort of tough and Holy Cross coming to to town 2 weeks after, this is a big on and I think our staff and team knows this. We are very banged up being down 4 starters (3 on defense) but definitely not an excuse.

For the first time in a while I do not know what to think. Logic and my actual eyes tell me this is still very much the team that has dominated the Big South for the last 2 seasons and took Sam Houston to the final minute. But psychology is a huge factor and I am just hoping we did not come in over confident. Knowing this staff it seems there is no way they would let that occur so I am going to go with the fact that we played a team that is better than the "*****ty bottom tier FBS" that they are perceived as and played well but self destructed. With that said, we are down 4 starters and have some new faces on both sides. This will be interesting.

Any legit analysis of Fordham as a team? On paper, this is a game MU should win I think, but I feel Fordham may be sort of decent. Where does Fordham think they stand? Any thoughts/comments are welcome and appreciated.

So what’s your take on that Middle Tennessee game? Haha just kidding

That’s actually a great summary and thank you for putting that out there

Fordham is decent and have a really good quarterback so this will be the game We might look at five years from now when both of these guys are in the NFL

katss07
September 6th, 2021, 05:25 PM
I wouldn’t put too much weight into an FBS game against a team like Middle Tennessee especially considering how long MU was in that game. Who knows what that team could shake out to be. I thought Monmouth was a top 10 FCS team going into the season and I don’t think anything’s changed. They should handle Fordham easily if that’s true.

Katfan
September 6th, 2021, 05:49 PM
I wouldn’t put too much weight into an FBS game against a team like Middle Tennessee especially considering how long MU was in that game. Who knows what that team could shake out to be. I thought Monmouth was a top 10 FCS team going into the season and I don’t think anything’s changed. They should handle Fordham easily if that’s true.
I just worry bout the injuries. With 4 defensive starters out this isn’t the team that took Sam to the last minute. Hope they get healthy before you get into conference play. Good Luck!

MUHAWKS
September 6th, 2021, 07:10 PM
I just worry bout the injuries. With 4 defensive starters out this isn’t the team that took Sam to the last minute. Hope they get healthy before you get into conference play. Good Luck!

4 starters total, 3 on Defense-- Unfortunately 3 of them are out for the year. Staring MLB, DE and on Offense RT are done for the season. The 4th guy the other DE will miss a few.. VERY little room for error now. Love how TWO sammy fans respond! Respect!

Digby
September 6th, 2021, 07:15 PM
I picked Fordham to win based on talent and PL loyalty. If MU stomps on the Rams fast, that will be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I picked Fordham to win based on talent and PL loyalty. If MU stomps on the Rams fast, that will be a problem.

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2021, 08:57 PM

.......MIDDLE TENNESSEE....WAS UH 2.5 DAWG....GOIN' IN.........AT WHAT POINT WERE YA'S STILL IN GAME....7-7.....?........WHICH SNOWBALLED TA....BY 28-7 HALF....@ 28-15...YER STILL DOWN TWO SCORES....AN' BEAT BAH 35.........DUH INJURIES SHOODN'T MATTER AS MUCH.......AS YA BELIEVE DEY'RE STILL TOP 10.......BRAWK!

MUHAWKS
September 6th, 2021, 09:01 PM
.......MIDDLE TENNESSEE....WAS UH 2.5 DAWG....GOIN' IN.........AT WHAT POINT WERE YA'S STILL IN GAME....7-7.....?........WHICH SNOWBALLED TA 28-7 HALF....@ 28-15...YER STILL DOWN TWO SCORES....AN' BEAT BAH 35.........DUH INJURIES SHOODN'T MATTER AS MUCH.......AS YA BELIEVE DEY'RE STILL TOP 10.......BRAWK!

Middle Tenn was an 8.5 pt fave brother! 7-7 was with 3 minutes left in the first half. 28-15 was with 13 minutes left in the 4th qtr and us possessing the ball. I would say that is in the game seeing as how their only scores were off turnovers and we had outgained them and were easily winning time of possession. Injuries matter, but correct not as much.

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2021, 09:07 PM
Middle Tenn was an 8.5 pt fave brother! 7-7 was with 3 minutes left in the first half. 28-15 was with 13 minutes left in the 4th qtr and us possessing the ball. I would say that is in the game seeing as how their only scores were off turnovers and we had outgained them and were easily winning time of possession. Injuries matter, but correct not as much.

....DON'T KNOW VEGAS LINE....BUT GOHENS POOL YOUSE WERE SPOTTIN' 2.5........AWK!

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2021, 09:16 PM
I’m thinking Fordham pulls this game out

MUHAWKS
September 6th, 2021, 09:16 PM
....DON'T KNOW VEGAS LINE....BUT GOHENS POOL YOUSE WERE SPOTTIN' 2.5........AWK!

Let me in on that Del pool! That is nuts!

Daytripper
September 6th, 2021, 09:26 PM
4 starters total, 3 on Defense-- Unfortunately 3 of them are out for the year. Staring MLB, DE and on Offense RT are done for the season. The 4th guy the other DE will miss a few.. VERY little room for error now. Love how TWO sammy fans respond! Respect!

I was at that Monmouth playoff game in Bowers. You guys had us on the ropes. Could have won it with the right bounce here or there. One of the most disciplined teams I have seen in a while. Play like you did against us and you will be fine.

Katfan
September 7th, 2021, 09:59 AM
I have a lot of respect for you guys! Musket twill be fun to watch for the next few years.

NY Crusader 2010
September 7th, 2021, 05:34 PM
Monmouth has OWNED the Patriot League the last 5-6 years. Get that W Rams.

Fordham
September 8th, 2021, 08:43 AM
This will be a far more interesting barometer than last week. My take after last week is that our OL is legit. It's the best OL I've ever seen at Fordham imo.

Unfortunately our starting RB and TE got injured. Good news is that the RB spot was split with a guy who we get back this week and our 3rd stringer (former walk on) really stepped up and played great last week with 75 yards against Nebrasks for almost 6 yards per carry when he was thrust into the role. Our O should be legit. Great OL, RB strong and excellent WRs. D is where we'll have to see how things go. They really got beat up last week on the line. Our LBs and DBs are strong imo.

Overall I think we are underdogs but should have a shot. This is a game, along with Stony Brook, where we need to find a way to grab a W if we want to avoid the dreaded 0 - 4 start. Really brutal schedule imo.

MUHAWKS
September 8th, 2021, 10:44 AM
This will be a far more interesting barometer than last week. My take after last week is that our OL is legit. It's the best OL I've ever seen at Fordham imo.

Unfortunately our starting RB and TE got injured. Good news is that the RB spot was split with a guy who we get back this week and our 3rd stringer (former walk on) really stepped up and played great last week with 75 yards against Nebrasks for almost 6 yards per carry when he was thrust into the role. Our O should be legit. Great OL, RB strong and excellent WRs. D is where we'll have to see how things go. They really got beat up last week on the line. Our LBs and DBs are strong imo.

Overall I think we are underdogs but should have a shot. This is a game, along with Stony Brook, where we need to find a way to grab a W if we want to avoid the dreaded 0 - 4 start. Really brutal schedule imo.

Thanks Fordham for the reply/info. I am excited to get there early prob 2 pm and enjoy a great day. Somber of course as well in NYC, and I was a bit surprised to see the NYC restrictions in place for the game (need vaccine card to enter an OUTDOOR football game and NO KIDS UNDER 12) but whatever..

yeah injuries suck. They really can dictate a whole season depending on who and depth but it happens. We have been lucky there for the last 2-3 years but no this year. Our injuries are a big deal b/c they ale all 5th year seniors/leaders and makes the D thin and younger BUT with that said I will not use as an excuse b/c other than 1 starting OL we have everyone back and actually have some younger guys who look ok.

I really think this game will set the tone for our season. Sounds absurd for a non league game in week 2 to matter so much but our league is sort of deep this year, not saying a bunch of great teams but def a bunch of solid and better ones than in past so will be hard to run the table. We need the W to get momentum. It will be a very interesting game and one where IF we can win convincingly will totally erase last week. I know you guys ahve a couple real solid players. The good thing is now we will never take anythign for granted so I think the minds are in right place. Should be a good one and it is interesting what you said b/c Our O line is big and experienced and good so if D line is your weakness for real that could be huge for us b/c if we are able to generate good offesne and score points and get up, early it would really help our defense.

KPSUL
September 8th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Make sure you double team block Fordham LB Ryan Greenhagen, apparently no one else makes any tackles.

MUHAWKS
September 8th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Make sure you double team block Fordham LB Ryan Greenhagen, apparently no one else makes any tackles.

LOL

The Boogie Down
September 8th, 2021, 03:15 PM

1) Agreed about the OL. Wow, what a difference from 2017-2019!?!?!?!?!
2) Any word on Davis?
2) LB's? Wait, plural? I saw one guy out there and a rotating cast that stood around watching.

Blue Waves Crest
September 9th, 2021, 09:05 PM
Hawks are on a 10-game Patriot League winning streak. With that said the PL is improving, both Fordham and Holy Cross are dangerous teams. Vegas has Monmouth -7.5 but both teams are entering this game with big plans and a sense of urgency. No prediction, I’ll just get the popcorn ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2021, 09:09 PM

that kid looks like he could play for any team in the country ..... a stud

Sader87
September 10th, 2021, 01:04 AM
LB Dobbs at HC is bettah....

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2021, 10:36 AM
Hawks are on a 10-game Patriot League winning streak. With that said the PL is improving, both Fordham and Holy Cross are dangerous teams. Vegas has Monmouth -7.5 but both teams are entering this game with big plans and a sense of urgency. No prediction, I’ll just get the popcorn ready

You guys have OWNED the Patriot League more or less dating back to when you guys beat a really bad Holy Cross team in Worcester in a September night game in 2013. That was back in the day when losing to an NEC team (I think you joined the Big South the next year) was still considered embarrassing. We beat you guys in 2014 (or was it '15?) in West Long Branch and you guys have dominated our little conference ever since. Fordham makes the playoffs in 2016 if they don't lose to Monmouth.

The Boogie Down
September 10th, 2021, 10:59 PM

Whole lotta season to go before the Iron Major Cup but we'll see. xdrunkyx

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2021, 11:19 PM

this I have to see

KPSUL
September 11th, 2021, 09:07 AM
that kid looks like he could play for any team in the country ..... a stud

So does this guy, Greenhagen's Co-FCS National Player of the week:

Pop Bush named FCS National and CAA Defensive Player of the Week

Senior safety Pop Bush (Nocatee, Fla.) of the University of New Hampshire football team was named the FCS National and Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Defensive Player of the Week, which was announced on Monday morning.
Bush made plays all over the field in New Hampshire's 27-21 conference victory at Stony Brook last Thursday night in the season opener. He recorded a team-high 10 tackles, 3.0 tackles for loss (-17 yds.), one sack, two forced fumbles, two pass breakups and an interception, which he returned 65 yards. The 10 tackles tied a career high for Bush, while the interception was the second of his career.
It marks the first time in his Wildcat career that he has won National or CAA Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Blue Waves Crest
September 11th, 2021, 11:47 PM
From a Monmouth perspective this game was a ****ing disaster. Two turnovers on downs, a missed chip shot FG, an interception on first and goal from the one. They had so many chances to pull away and extend it to a three possession game and just kept leaving the door open. That Hail Mary at the gun was juggled in the end zone. Greenhagen is an absolute animal, that guy will play on Sundays, but Monmouth should’ve won this comfortably and just did stupid ****. If they make that many mistakes against Charleston Southern next weekend I don’t think they’ll be as fortunate.

There’s a lot of new guys getting playing time, more than we thought there would be entering the season due to injuries. Without those injuries, I think top 10, top 15 is a fair ranking. But without four starters? They’re closer to the level they were at in 2019 where there’s a clear ceiling between them and the natty contenders.

The hope is that the guys who were part of last year’s success help shrink the learning curve for the new starters, but I think we need to see it to believe it. Nothing wrong with that, but around 20 is probably more where Monmouth should be ranked with the way they look

MUHAWKS
September 12th, 2021, 01:07 PM
From a Monmouth perspective this game was a ****ing disaster. Two turnovers on downs, a missed chip shot FG, an interception on first and goal from the one. They had so many chances to pull away and extend it to a three possession game and just kept leaving the door open. That Hail Mary at the gun was juggled in the end zone. Greenhagen is an absolute animal, that guy will play on Sundays, but Monmouth should’ve won this comfortably and just did stupid ****. If they make that many mistakes against Charleston Southern next weekend I don’t think they’ll be as fortunate.

There’s a lot of new guys getting playing time, more than we thought there would be entering the season due to injuries. Without those injuries, I think top 10, top 15 is a fair ranking. But without four starters? They’re closer to the level they were at in 2019 where there’s a clear ceiling between them and the natty contenders.

The hope is that the guys who were part of last year’s success help shrink the learning curve for the new starters, but I think we need to see it to believe it. Nothing wrong with that, but around 20 is probably more where Monmouth should be ranked with the way they look

I sort of agree. Let me give the flipside though. Before that however, I will agree with you on this actual game. I mean as they say If The King were a woman he would be the Queen, so " could have, should have" in football does not always count. When it DOES count is when the mistakes and errors are correctible or mental in nature. And I think 75% of our bad stuff through the first 2 weeks have been just that.

Fordham game- we are up 10 on the 1 yard line first and goal- 4 shots to rush 1 yard and essentially put game away by being up 17 and perhaps breaking their will and allowing our defense to play way more loose and aggressive and making this a semi blowout.. Well as you said the 1 in 100 thing happens -an UNFORCED error from a usually mentally strong QB. The turnover on downs stuff I think you need to look at the aggregate of a season. I prefer our staff to be more aggressive with that stuff. Maybe the play calling in those situations was dicey but the decisions I like, and over the course of the season I think it will be a good thing. The missed FG I can live with b/c hey ***** happens and this kid looks to have the best leg I have seen of any kicker we have had. Fordham did not return any kicks, think about how much that helps to not have the chance to have a coverage unit breakdown and not put the D in a bad spot. Yes, MU "should have" won this comfortably not b/c we think we are so great but b/c of reality- and the reality is 1st and goal on the 1 up 10 pts in the 2nd half puts this game away. It was a mental error. In 3-4 weeks or 8-9 weeks nobody will look back and be like "Oh MU only won by 3".. Especially if Fordham ends up being the class of the Patriot league which is possible. Just like it did not matter that we needed a semi miracle play to beat Wagner in 2019. This stuff is 100% correctible.

Overall on this season I think you are more right than wrong for sure but I like to give the benefit of the doubt unless I see CLEAR reasons and here is my take: Yes, you are right, we do not look anything like a top 10 type team. You are spot on. 18-22 is sort of what we look like- A team that has enough talent to beat decent Patriots, some middle of the road CAA teams MAYBE step up and beat a great team if things go perfect but conversely can pretty much lose to anyone in the top 50 and/or get smoked by a powerful top 5 type.

But I think this team is more a work in progress that has a 65-70% chance of being a team that can start to get better each week and put it together and gel and peak later in the year. This is a good thing if true. Why? Our QB just played his 6th college game EVER. As you said we have several new players on D that are getting acclimated and there is much reason to believe they will get better each week. Being without Grimes and Scarlett on D and a banged up Massey (LB, DE, DE/LB for non MU people) is a big deal but not a deal breaker as frankly, # 90 Lorenzo Hernandez looks like a stud and I think DelGado and some other guys look ok. So as a "unit" they need time to gel and I think that can slowly happen. They have played only 2 games as a new unit without their leader and leading tackler and very good DE and then The Massey issue.

To take it a step further, I do NOT think Middle Tennessee State is very good but I think they are decent and I did not see us lose that game b/c we had less speed or size or talent. Frankly, I think Sam Houston last year had more guys who we had trouble matching up against then MTS. We were down 2 scores with the ball in the 4th Qtr against an FBS team AFTER having 3 turnovers and letting up a Punt return TD. It is not like we just did not belong on the field. The offense "should" be very strong. 4 of 5 starters on the O line back (was 5 but injury we lost our RT) and we have a stable of great WR's, a TE who looked great last night, Farri is super and our QB has all the tools just needs to play smarter at times. I feel like at this point it is on them. And if "you" (figuratively) think that our offense will be as good as it was then there is every reason to believe that our D will get better. Imagine as we start the league schedule and HC and Princeton, imagine our offense clicking? Imagine seeing Lonnie Moore get the ball and getting deep and Terrance Greene exploding and then Farri doing his thing and now we have sort of a quiet weapon with the TE Scott? If our staff game plans well and has a good scheme we have weapons and diversity that will be hard to match. It is very realistic that this Offense can start to click and if they do imagine this D playing with a 14-0 lead? or playing when our offense is scoring 30-40 pts? We can be more aggressive, more loose all those things. When its down 4, up 3, up 7 late in games (Fordham) it is more of a bend don't break style. I think the key is the offense and I really think there is a good chance it happens. Look at Kennesaw as an example but in reverse. If you get a decent lead on them, it is basically over b/c of the obvious (they are ball control, triple option keep you on the field etc).. If we start to get out to 10-0, 14-0 leads I promise our defense will look much better and I think we will.

But you nailed it- The newer guys step up, the older guys shrink that curve and the recipe is there. I get it, def want to see it, cannot be talking in week 5 and week 6 about escaping from games..

Sidenote- The hype on Fordham #47 Geenhagen is real. They guy is insane.

- - - Updated - - -

I sort of agree. Let me give the flipside though. Before that however, I will agree with you on this actual game. I mean as they say If The King were a woman he would be the Queen, so " could have, should have" in football does not always count. When it DOES count is when the mistakes and errors are correctible or mental in nature. And I think 75% of our bad stuff through the first 2 weeks have been just that.

Fordham game- we are up 10 on the 1 yard line first and goal- 4 shots to rush 1 yard and essentially put game away by being up 17 and perhaps breaking their will and allowing our defense to play way more loose and aggressive and making this a semi blowout.. Well as you said the 1 in 100 thing happens -an UNFORCED error from a usually mentally strong QB. The turnover on downs stuff I think you need to look at the aggregate of a season. I prefer our staff to be more aggressive with that stuff. Maybe the play calling in those situations was dicey but the decisions I like, and over the course of the season I think it will be a good thing. The missed FG I can live with b/c hey ***** happens and this kid looks to have the best leg I have seen of any kicker we have had. Fordham did not return any kicks, think about how much that helps to not have the chance to have a coverage unit breakdown and not put the D in a bad spot. Yes, MU "should have" won this comfortably not b/c we think we are so great but b/c of reality- and the reality is 1st and goal on the 1 up 10 pts in the 2nd half puts this game away. It was a mental error. In 3-4 weeks or 8-9 weeks nobody will look back and be like "Oh MU only won by 3".. Especially if Fordham ends up being the class of the Patriot league which is possible. Just like it did not matter that we needed a semi miracle play to beat Wagner in 2019. This stuff is 100% correctible.

Overall on this season I think you are more right than wrong for sure but I like to give the benefit of the doubt unless I see CLEAR reasons and here is my take: Yes, you are right, we do not look anything like a top 10 type team. You are spot on. 18-22 is sort of what we look like- A team that has enough talent to beat decent Patriots, some middle of the road CAA teams MAYBE step up and beat a great team if things go perfect but conversely can pretty much lose to anyone in the top 50 and/or get smoked by a powerful top 5 type.

But I think this team is more a work in progress that has a 65-70% chance of being a team that can start to get better each week and put it together and gel and peak later in the year. This is a good thing if true. Why? Our QB just played his 6th college game EVER. As you said we have several new players on D that are getting acclimated and there is much reason to believe they will get better each week. Being without Grimes and Scarlett on D and a banged up Massey (LB, DE, DE/LB for non MU people) is a big deal but not a deal breaker as frankly, # 90 Lorenzo Hernandez looks like a stud and I think DelGado and some other guys look ok. So as a "unit" they need time to gel and I think that can slowly happen. They have played only 2 games as a new unit without their leader and leading tackler and very good DE and then The Massey issue.

To take it a step further, I do NOT think Middle Tennessee State is very good but I think they are decent and I did not see us lose that game b/c we had less speed or size or talent. Frankly, I think Sam Houston last year had more guys who we had trouble matching up against then MTS. We were down 2 scores with the ball in the 4th Qtr against an FBS team AFTER having 3 turnovers and letting up a Punt return TD. It is not like we just did not belong on the field. The offense "should" be very strong. 4 of 5 starters on the O line back (was 5 but injury we lost our RT) and we have a stable of great WR's, a TE who looked great last night, Farri is super and our QB has all the tools just needs to play smarter at times. I feel like at this point it is on them. And if "you" (figuratively) think that our offense will be as good as it was then there is every reason to believe that our D will get better. Imagine as we start the league schedule and HC and Princeton, imagine our offense clicking? Imagine seeing Lonnie Moore get the ball and getting deep and Terrance Greene exploding and then Farri doing his thing and now we have sort of a quiet weapon with the TE Scott? If our staff game plans well and has a good scheme we have weapons and diversity that will be hard to match. It is very realistic that this Offense can start to click and if they do imagine this D playing with a 14-0 lead? or playing when our offense is scoring 30-40 pts? We can be more aggressive, more loose all those things. When its down 4, up 3, up 7 late in games (Fordham) it is more of a bend don't break style. I think the key is the offense and I really think there is a good chance it happens. Look at Kennesaw as an example but in reverse. If you get a decent lead on them, it is basically over b/c of the obvious (they are ball control, triple option keep you on the field etc).. If we start to get out to 10-0, 14-0 leads I promise our defense will look much better and I think we will.

But you nailed it- The newer guys step up, the older guys shrink that curve and the recipe is there. I get it, def want to see it, cannot be talking in week 5 and week 6 about escaping from games..

Blue Waves Crest
September 12th, 2021, 07:48 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with basically all of this. I think “professional skepticism” is the right term to describe my outlook. The offensive execution like you said allows the defense to pin their ears back and shut the door on the game. It’s like smelling blood in the water and the jaws music starts playing. Continue improving while winning

Fordham
September 12th, 2021, 10:13 PM

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.fbi.gov/image-repository/unabomber.jpeg

MUHAWKS
September 13th, 2021, 06:07 AM
https://www.fbi.gov/image-repository/unabomber.jpeg

I am the unabomber because I am passionate about my team and wrote a long post? Seems reasonable.

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2021, 08:15 AM
I am the unabomber because I am passionate about my team and wrote a long post? Seems reasonable.

I think the Fordham QB was reading one of your posts while waiting to launch that Hail Mary, that was a close call

MUHAWKS
September 13th, 2021, 09:04 AM
I think the Fordham QB was reading one of your posts while waiting to launch that Hail Mary, that was a close call

HAHAHAHA! Man that was bizarre.. and yes it was..I do not get it..

Fordham
September 13th, 2021, 12:24 PM

Ha! Was more a light hearted jab just due to the length.

MUHAWKS
September 13th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Ha! Was more a light hearted jab just due to the length.

all good, I drink a lot of coffee and also have a quick online temper!