Lehigh (0-1) at Richmond (0-1), 2 pm
Merrimack (1-0) at Holy Cross (1-0), 2 pm
Georgetown (0-0) at Delaware St. (1-0), 2 pm
Monmouth (0-1) at Fordham (0-1), 6 pm
Bucknell (0-1) at Villanova (1-0), 6 pm
Lafayette (0-1) at William & Mary (0-1), 6 pm

crusader11
September 6th, 2021, 02:10 PM
DFW, is Georgetown planning on playing or still recovering from Corona and / or needing additional prep time?

This has the makings of another one win week.

Bogus Megapardus
September 6th, 2021, 02:50 PM
DFW, is Georgetown planning on playing or still recovering from Corona and / or needing additional prep time?

This has the makings of another one win week.

Georgetown has its Cooper Field debut vs. Harvard the following week. No way they're going into that one cold.

Digby
September 6th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Stony Brook
Richmond
Holy Cross (the savior)
Delaware St.
Fordham (PL homer pick)
Nova
W&M

Next win for Lehigh … 2022?

***corrected 6/6 for Delaware STATE

The Cats
September 6th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Stony Brook (0-1) at Colgate (0-1), 1 pm

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2021, 05:29 PM
We're back, this time with games we can actually learn from. These don't look like fun lessons to learn, but learn them we shall. 3-3 for the first week, so an indifferent start to match my mood at the overall results.

Stony Brook at Colgate Colgate Competition takes a step down for the Raiders as they go from ACC to CAA. The Seawolves also last made the postseason in 2018, and have been rather middling otherwise in their CAA tenure. A much more important measuring stick game for Colgate, as they'll have to take the few positives from Chestnut Hill and build on them. The schedule gets easier after Week 1, but that's not the same thing as getting easy.

Lehigh at Richmond Richmond A blowout loss in Week 1 fits right in with the rest of the League, though doing so to a fellow FCS side does not reflect as well on the Hawks. The Spiders have struggled a bit to find their way under Huesman, though going 3-1 in the Spring will certainly generate optimism. It will be interesting to see what improvements Lehigh can muster between the first and second contests.

Merrimack at Holy Cross Holy Cross Beware the trap. After a thorough victory against FBS UConn, the Crusaders now turn their attention to a transitioning Warriors. Merrimack has 2 wins against FCS foes since starting at this level in 2019, but the odds they may their Bay State neighbors #3 are slim if the Cross can focus after a big win. Even if they can't, HC should still pull away at the end.

Georgetown at Delaware State Delaware State I actually did want to pick Georgetown here, I almost did. DSU is another struggling program, with only 1 winning season since their last conference title in 2007. Only four times in that stretch have they won more than 3 games. Sure there were a few bodybag games against FBS teams/in-state "rival" UD, but that doesn't account for their general difficulties. I would have picked the Hoyas, if for the fact they still haven't played yet, or at all since 2019. That's too long against a team with a game already under its belt. Hopefully Georgetown gets on the field for this one.

Monmouth at Fordham Monmouth Again, stepping down in competition, though perhaps a step up in terms of the opponent's expectations. MU harbors legitimate aspirations at their conference title and advancing in the playoffs (which Nebraska clearly does not). The Rams have talent, perhaps enough to keep this one from getting too far away, but I'll have to see PL teams not named Holy Cross win a big OOC game before I start picking it in earnest.

Bucknell at Villanova Villanova The Wildcats look to move to 2-0 in PL play (in an alternate universe). The Bison disappointed last week, not so much in losing as looking relatively non-competitive, especially on offense. Villanova is usually decent, at least, but perhaps more than decent this season. Even if not, still too much for Bucknell.

Lafayette at William & Mary William & Mary This is exactly the kind of game where Lafayette bites me. A decent, not great CAA team faces the PL's true chaos agent. There were some positives to take from going to Air Force, though we'll see just how positive they are when the competition levels out. Will I regret picking against the Leopards here? I'm never too sure...

bonarae
September 6th, 2021, 05:31 PM

PL is a blunder to me now, especially when they're playing outside of their comfort zones.

Digby
September 6th, 2021, 07:13 PM
Randy Edsall retirement watch: it’s over. The Cross has ended his second stint at UConn.
He’s probably done as a head coach at least at the FBS level.

kdinva
September 7th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Stony Brook 27; Colgate 20
Richmond 48; Lehigh 12
holy Cross 38; Merrimack 13
Georgetown 23; Delaware St. 16
Monmouth 35; Fordham 24
Villanova 42; Bucknell 20
Bill & Mary 21; Lafayette 13.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2021, 10:14 AM
So, so tempted to pick Lafayette this week... but then I think of the Garrett factor....

Sitting Bull
September 7th, 2021, 10:18 AM
PL has four shots at a coveted CAA scalp.

Bill
September 7th, 2021, 11:35 AM
It's hard to get the scalp when you're playing without a hatchet.

Leopard Loyalist
September 7th, 2021, 01:37 PM
So, so tempted to pick Lafayette this week... but then I think of the Garrett factor....

What do you mean? This is a guy who went for it on 4th and 11 on our own 43 yard line, already down two touchdowns. And it worked! Plus then we scored. Clearly an offensive genius.

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2021, 01:39 PM
It's hard to get the scalp when you're playing without a hatchet.

The Patriot League brings a fountain pen to a knife fight.

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2021, 01:59 PM
The Patriot League brings a fountain pen to a knife fight.

Maybe the pen is mightier than the knife.

Patriot League teams were there at the very beginning of college football. Long after the conference realignments and the one-upmanship, and after all the political shenanigans and self-congratulation, the PL schools will still be playing the game one way or another.

So we have that, at least.

Bill
September 7th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Maybe the pen is mightier than the knife.

Patriot League teams were there at the very beginning of college football. Long after the conference realignments and the one-upmanship, and after all the political shenanigans and self-congratulation, the PL schools will still be playing the game one way or another.

So we have that, at least.

Kind of like the Dali Lama giving us all total consciousness on our deathbeds.

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2021, 02:50 PM

The League, not the teams, is the problem. It's the only conference that could add 60 scholarships and be less competitive as a result.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2021, 12:24 PM
FCS Lines are up:

Stony Brook (-9.5) at Colgate

Richmond (-22) vs Lehigh

Holy Cross (-28.5) vs Merrimack

Georgetown (-4) at Delaware St.

Monmouth (-7.5) at Fordham

Villanova (-28.5) vs Bucknell

William & Mary (-9.5) vs Lafayette

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2021, 12:37 PM
Other Games of Interest:

Towson (PK) at New Hampshire

Ohio (-27.5) vs Duquesne

Citadel (-6.5) vs Charleston Southern

West Virginia (-45.5) vs Long Island Univ.

Delaware (-20.5) vs St. Francis (PA)

Elon (PK) at Campbell

MUHAWKS
September 8th, 2021, 12:47 PM
FCS Lines are up:

Stony Brook (-9.5) at Colgate

Richmond (-22) vs Lehigh

Holy Cross (-28.5) vs Merrimack

Georgetown (-4) at Delaware St.

Monmouth (-7.5) at Fordham

Villanova (-28.5) vs Bucknell

William & Mary (-9.5) vs Lafayette

what site you use? mine not up yet

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2021, 12:51 PM
what site you use? mine not up yet

It varies from week to week. Depends on who posts first. This week it's sportbet.com.

Also - you have to use a VPN and Tor Browser to access some of these things. Just sayin' . . .

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2021, 06:43 PM
Forbes - America's Top Colleges (https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/) just came out.

Because what else do you have to do this evening?

(p.s. - Yale's gonna have a ball with this one!)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Forbes - America's Top Colleges (https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/) just came out.

Because what else do you have to do this evening?

(p.s. - Yale's gonna have a ball with this one!)

Wow, they do not think much of Pennsylvania's "Commonwealth System of Higher-Ed". Talk about an embarrassing perception. Temple below Towson?!? Yikes!! Temple's rankings are always "interesting" due to our school's historical/current urban mission. I've never seen Pitt and Penn State ranked so low relative to some of those other schools....

#150 Pitt
#155 Penn State
#200 Temple

#148 Holy Cross?
#168 Fordham?
#226 Bates then #227 DePaul? Huh? How am I suppose to feel about that one?

These rankings are always ideal for "great debate"....

caribbeanhen
September 8th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Colgate - nobody seems to know how bad Stony Brook is, has anyone seen any Stony fans on here this year.....

Richmond

Holy Cross

Georgetown never pick Del State to win a football game, never

Fordham - the Bronx and Chucifritos will be rocking after this upset

Villanova

William & Mary tempting to pick another upset as the CAA lower tier is just not looking that good but Ive already picked enough

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2021, 08:05 PM
Stony Brook 27 Colgate 17 - Stony Brook is bad, Colgate is worse
Richmond 41 Lehigh 13 - Sadly, I think this will go down at the worst Lehigh team in my lifetime...
Holy Cross 38 Merrimack 7 - Crusaders with a methodical beatdown...
Fordham 41 Monmouth 38 - Could be the game of the week. Fireworks in the Bronx!
Villanova 52 Bucknell 17 - The final could be "even uglier"....
Lafayette 24 W&M 21 - I believe....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Since I've been "surveying" the law school landscape, any idea why Bucknell and/or Lehigh has decided not to add one? I feel like both schools, especially Lehigh due to location, would benefit by such an addition. After Penn, Temple, Pitt and PSU/Dickinson are all about the same reputation wise; obviously concentration strengths/weaknesses.

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2021, 10:58 PM
Since I've been "surveying" the law school landscape, any idea why Bucknell and/or Lehigh has decided not to add one? I feel like both schools, especially Lehigh due to location, would benefit by such an addition. After Penn, Temple, Pitt and PSU/Dickinson are all about the same reputation wise; obviously concentration strengths/weaknesses.

Pennsylvania does not lack for law schools: Drexel, Duquesne, Dickinson, Penn State, Penn, Pitt, Temple, Villanova, and Widener . There is also a case of diminishing returns in legal education, noticeably in what is called the T-14 (top 14). Outside of these schools (which varies between 14-17), your chances at a major firm, a major teaching position or an appeals court/SCOTUS clerkship drop way off, but the other programs are still valuable regionally. For example, Penn opens doors in New York that Duquesne doesn't, but if you settle in Pittsburgh to practice law, Duquesne is no problem.

A law degree from Bucknell isn't opening doors outside central Pennsylvania. It would be better for that school to play to its strengths in expanding its programs rather than fight in a different ring.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2021, 11:16 PM
Pennsylvania does not lack for law schools: Drexel, Duquesne, Dickinson, Penn State, Penn, Pitt, Temple, Villanova, and Widener . There is also a case of diminishing returns in legal education, noticeably in what is called the T-14 (top 14). Outside of these schools (which varies between 14-17), your chances at a major firm, a major teaching position or an appeals court/SCOTUS clerkship drop way off, but the other programs are still valuable regionally. For example, Penn opens doors in New York that Duquesne doesn't, but if you settle in Pittsburgh to practice law, Duquesne is no problem.

A law degree from Bucknell isn't opening doors outside central Pennsylvania. It would be better for that school to play to its strengths in expanding its programs rather than fight in a different ring.

The "T14 Theory" absolutely holds true in academia. When you look at the faculty at the top 70% or so of law schools there's a clear connection to the T14. It certainly raises eyebrows when one considers the "power AND influence" that exists within academia. My potential focus as of now is intellectual property law/sports law.

Temple, Drexel, PSU/Dickinson, Pitt, Villanova and Duquesne are all fine options. I believe Lehigh could (have?) develop(ed) a law school that bridges that gap between Penn and those schools. To be fair, I get what you're saying regarding the value of a program past the elite schools. It really comes down to the individual if you attend any school in the Top 25-75% range; Syracuse/Temple to U of North Dakota/Wyoming....

I know Lehigh is expanding their business school. They're also adding a college of health which should boost their profile a bit. For the most part, the PL schools have been rather conservative when it comes to significant academic additions. The same can be said about athletic ambition....

Fordham
September 9th, 2021, 08:31 AM
Spend 3 years in NYC and come to Fordham. We could use you in the stands on Saturdays

Good luck regardless, TU.

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2021, 08:43 PM
Patriot League pre-game notes.

https://patriotleague.org/news/2021/9/9/patriot-league-football-notebook-presented-by-tiaa-week-two.aspx

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Spend 3 years in NYC and come to Fordham. We could use you in the stands on Saturdays

How much is a ticket on game day? maybe I can make it over from Chuchifritos one of these Saturdays

Sader87
September 9th, 2021, 11:37 PM
The League, not the teams, is the problem. It's the only conference that could add 60 scholarships and be less competitive as a result.

Again, Holy Cross is appreciably bettah in football with scholarships...why the other schools in the PL (beside Fordham maybe) aren't, is the real question.

KPSUL
September 10th, 2021, 09:29 AM
Again, Holy Cross is appreciably bettah in football with scholarships...why the other schools in the PL (beside Fordham maybe) aren't, is the real question.

I believe it is simply the quality of coaching - if and when you lose Chesney you'll see that. Dan Hunt brought Colgate to a level well beyond what Holy Cross has achieve so far, he lost his job and now Colgate slides back into mediocrity. Also don't put too much stock in the fact you beat a 3rd rate FBS team. We (UNH) beat a similarly struggling FBS Georgia Southern in 2017, and then got soundly beat by your guys a week later.

RichH2
September 10th, 2021, 10:18 AM
PL is indeed a mess. A lot of whys but not much to look forward to this season.
Stony Brook
UR
Cross
Hoyas
Monmouth
Nova
Pards
A couple of homer picks just to ease the angst 😂😂

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Stony Brook
Richmond
Holy Cross
Georgetown
Fordham
Villanova
William & Mary

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2021, 10:55 AM

Actually, it's clear: adding scholarships did not increase the quality of the talent pool, it only served as a transfer cost from the college's financial aid office to the respective athletic departments.

It's more than that, however.

It's allowed the Ivy League to pick off talented players that are covered within the PL's arcane admissions protocols, with such protocols that were not adjusted to meet the realities of the scholarship talent pool. It's allowed the NEC to walk past the Patriot League and recruit better athletes with more impact than what the PL is left with. And perhaps most surprisingly, it's allowed a zero-scholarship team in the league to be just as competitive as any of the others and spend $3-4 million less to to so. How would a zero-scholarship team fare in the CAA?

Leopard Loyalist
September 10th, 2021, 12:17 PM

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2021, 09:09 PM
Richmond 69, Lehigh 3
Stony Brook 42, Colgate 0
Holy Cross 42, Merrimack 7
Georgetown 22, Delaware State 15
Monmouth 28, Fordham 24
Villanova 52, Bucknell 13
Lafayette 30, William & Mary 21

Sader87
September 10th, 2021, 11:28 PM
Actually, it's clear: adding scholarships did not increase the quality of the talent pool, it only served as a transfer cost from the college's financial aid office to the respective athletic departments.

It's allowed the Ivy League to pick off talented players that are covered within the PL's arcane admissions protocols, with such protocols that were not adjusted to meet the realities of the scholarship talent pool. It's allowed the NEC to walk past the Patriot League and recruit better athletes with more impact than what the PL is left with. And perhaps most surprisingly, it's allowed a zero-scholarship team in the league to be just as competitive as any of the others and spend $3-4 million less to to so. How would a zero-scholarship team fare in the CAA?

Nope....in Holy Cross' case anyway, we definitely have bettah talent across the board in 2021 with scholarships than we evah did without them. It's clear as day.

Maybe it's a function of our coach to some degree...but even then, it shows it can be done (improving your program) with scholarships. HC was a near wasteland during the non-scholarship era of the Patriot League...it's much closer to where the program was when we were 1-AA/FCS from 1982-1991 with scholarships than at anytime during the non-scholarship era.

The Boogie Down
September 10th, 2021, 11:41 PM
Nope....in Holy Cross' case anyway, we definitely have bettah talent across the board in 2021 with scholarships than we evah did without them. It's clear as day.

Maybe it's a function of our coach to some degree...but even then, it shows it can be done (improving your program) with scholarships. HC was a near wasteland during the non-scholarship era of the Patriot League...it's much closer to where the program was when we were 1-AA/FCS from 1982-1991 with scholarships than at anytime during the non-scholarship era.

How was the wasteland-ish talent in 2016, 2017, 2018? Full scholarship rosters yet three straight losing seasons, correct?

RichH2
September 11th, 2021, 09:10 AM

A bit too revisionist. Hind sight doesnt reflect thatvperiod accurately. PL had a comfortable niche between Ivies and CAA to recruit in the 90s and early 2000s. CAA started expansion. Conferences from FBS to D2 were changing.
The niche was getting smaller. Schollies were thevonly ready tool to help the PL. It has yet to do so. Why?
CAA kept expanding. Monmout upgraded. NEC facing the same issues as PL increased scholies going to max for FCS using need aid. Ivies amped recruiting substantially in response to PL move.The recruiting landscape completely altered.
The PL started schollies by imposing so many restrictions as to negate much of the impact for the league.Coaches were indeed hamstrung.Add in the fact that altho a few stars were recruited the coaches did not adjustvwell to schollie recruiting. Rather than stabilizing the PL, schollies wound up tanking it. This is where we are rebuilding from now. PL has eased up on some restrictions with need aid and true Walk ons. We still have a 60 cap and the AI. The new landscape for recruiting includes the Ivies but emphasizes the MAC et al, Academies and CAA. Theclower band players we used to get are now more likely for the NEC with no AI amd much lower tuitions.
Too soon to tell if current staffs can navigate this new landscape well enuf to lift the PL. Chesney has shown it is possible. No other staff has of yet.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Richmond 69, Lehigh 3
Stony Brook 42, Colgate 0
Holy Cross 42, Merrimack 7
Georgetown 22, Delaware State 15
Monmouth 28, Fordham 24
Villanova 52, Bucknell 13
Lafayette 30, William & Mary 21

Wow, are Lehigh, Colgate and Bucknell really that bad?

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Stony Brook 0
Colgate 3
End 1st

Nice start for the Raiders. SB has hurt themselves with some penalties, but the Colgate defense overall has been good. Some good throws early on, definitely leaning on the read-option run game.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Stony Brook 0
Colgate 3
End 1st

Nice start for the Raiders. SB has hurt themselves with some penalties, but the Colgate defense overall has been good. Some good throws early on, definitely leaning on the read-option run game.

brutal to watch, Colgate QB is not a runner but he keeps trying

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Lehigh and Richmond about to get going. Why must Lehigh suck? This would have been a fun weekend trip...

I re-activated my "Flo" to watch it.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 01:02 PM
brutal to watch, Colgate QB is not a runner but he keeps trying

SBU has sharp uniforms. Traditional with a perfect amount of "flair"...by "Chotchskie's standards" of course....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 01:07 PM
SBU with a missed FG. Nice stand by the 'Gate D....

CHIP72
September 11th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Let's see how long it takes the Richmond A/V crew to correct the score box graphic to "Lehigh" rather than "Howard".

CHIP72
September 11th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Let's see how long it takes the Richmond A/V crew to correct the score box graphic to "Lehigh" rather than "Howard".

Answer - about 3 minutes of game time.

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Stony Brook 10
Colgate 3
Halftime

SB definitely stepped up in the 2nd quarter. Big pass play to open got them on the board. Their defensive line has given us all kinds of trouble. We seem to have given up on passing, but hard to say because the drives are so short, and the few times Breneman drops back he's under pressure. SB's running game has done well to move the ball, but the Seawolves have hurt themselves with penalties. Somewhat fortunate to only be down 7 at the half. Raiders get the ball to start the 2nd half.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 01:23 PM
Giving out more scholarships is not going to solve the problems of the Patriot League.

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 01:24 PM
7-0 HC after HC and Merrimack traded punts to start the game.

Matt Sluka looks like a much more polished passer after the spring season. Also, encouraging to see HC not be so run-heavy to open things up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Lehigh forces a fumble at the Richmond 30...offense gains 5 yards but they're able to convert a FG

Lehigh 3 Richmond 0 4:51 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Lehigh 3 Richmond 0 End 1Q

Richmond has a 3rd and short inside the Lehigh 15 to start 2Q. Spiders have moved the ball but missed on some big plays. They seem content to run the ball and wear Lehigh out. That strategy will work.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 01:43 PM
TD Spiders....

Richmond 7-3 14:17 2Q

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Georgetown 0
Delaware St. 7
14:53 2nd

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 01:50 PM
7-7 in Worcester.

Merrimack impressive so far. HC looks a little sleepy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 01:54 PM
TD Spiders! The flood gates are opening in Richmond! Lehigh needs a drive or this will be over by half...

Spiders 14-3 8:30 2Q

- - - Updated - - -

Merrimack with a pick 6! Trouble brewing in Worcester?!?

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 01:54 PM
Gimme Gimme Gilmore!

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 01:57 PM
14-7 Merrimack on a pick six.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 01:59 PM
This isn't looking good for a PL team.
Georgetown 0
Delaware St. 14
9:38 2nd

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2021, 02:01 PM
17-3 SB
~2:30 3rd

Colgate started well, but an interception stopped the drive. Seawolves then effectively ran the ball down our throats, finally punching it in to extend the lead.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Del St 14 - Georgetown 0

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 02:08 PM
TD Richmond! Looks like Lehigh is nearing "giving up" mode. Lifeless on both sides of the ball...

Richmond 21-3 3:43 2Q

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 02:08 PM
Lehigh has -6 rushing yards. Game over.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Gilmore could set a record nobody could break: be fired twice in midsession by a Patriot League football team.
He has what it takes!

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2021, 02:12 PM
Stony Brook 17
Colgate 3
End 3rd

Raiders getting blown off the ball on both offense and defense. Cannot stop the SB run game, and can't create time/space for the offense to operate. Frustrating given that is our style. Injuries have undermanned them a bit defensively, but they're running out of gas on that side of the ball. Seawolves driving in Colgate territory to start the 4th

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 02:14 PM
TD Spiders following a Lehigh pick! Boom baby! What's funny about Lehigh is they are EVERY bit as awful as I expected. Gilmore should not make it to October...

Richmond 28-3 1:34 2Q

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 02:15 PM
The Spiders are going for a point per minute game.
Richmond 28 - Lehigh 3.

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Holy Cross is hungover from UConn. 14-7 Merrimack nearing the end of the first half.

Offense hasn't done anything outside of the one TD drive and defense is largely getting picked apart.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Richmond 28 Lehigh 3 Half

The stats might be more lopsided than the score. My goodness that was awful....

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Holy Cross is hungover from UConn. 14-7 Merrimack nearing the end of the first half.

Offense hasn't done anything outside of the one TD drive and defense is largely getting picked apart.

#NECFB > UCONN

Doc QB
September 11th, 2021, 02:29 PM
I believe it is simply the quality of coaching.
No question about it.

DFW HOYA
Hoyas get a late interception and converted for a TD at the end of the quarter. Just 17 yards rushing on the afternoon.

Georgetown 7
Delaware St. 14
Halftime

Doc QB
Wow, are Lehigh, Colgate and Bucknell really that bad?
no question. Yes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 02:36 PM
TD Merrimack right before half! Wow! This would be a devastating loss for HC and the PL! Chesney needs to rally the troops at half....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Richmond puts together a nice drive to start the second half...adds a FG

Spiders 31-3 9:31 3Q

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Stony Brook 24
Colgate 3
Final

That was unpleasant. Really dominated on both sides of the line, so couldn't get any space on offense, and couldn't get close on defense. Hard to see things getting much better during the OOC section, but perhaps the rest of the league offers opportunities for better competition.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Stony Brook 24
Colgate 3
Final

That was unpleasant. Really dominated on both sides of the line, so couldn't get any space on offense, and couldn't get close on defense. Hard to see things getting much better during the OOC section, but perhaps the rest of the league offers opportunities for better competition.

Colgate is really bad, probably one of the 30 or so worst teams in FCS; Lehigh is "beneath them". Colgate should be able to take down Lehigh in 2 weeks...

Stony Brook heads to Oregon next week!! They're about to take down Ohio State....

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2021, 02:53 PM
TD Merrimack right before half! Wow! This would be a devastating loss for HC and the PL! Chesney needs to rally the troops at half....

Looks like HC let the UConn win go to their heads. They'll get back in this one, but will it be enough?

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 03:06 PM
The honor of the PL may rest in Georgetown’s not very capable hands but they are down only 14-7.
Fordham has a shot too. Lafayette, not likely, nor Bucknell.
The league is not functioning.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 03:07 PM
Joe Sterrett is a great guy and he has done a good job but the Gilmore choice was just plain odd.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 03:10 PM
TD Merrimack! Wow! They're not just winning, they're dominating. A loss like this might send '87 back to '97....

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Opponents 90 - Patriot League 20.
Don’t worry! It’s early!

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 03:12 PM
HC is on the verge of getting blown out...

28-7 Merrimack. They have run off 28 straight points.

Wow.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 03:15 PM

Wow.

I can’t get that game. What went wrong?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Richmond 31 Lehigh 3 End 3Q

Both teams seem content to run the clock out and go home...

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Hoyas are even at 14.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2021, 03:26 PM

Wow.

Let's start giving Merrimack and the NEC due credit.

In other games Duquesne us hanging late with FBS Ohio.

The Boogie Down
September 11th, 2021, 03:28 PM
TD Merrimack! Wow! They're not just winning, they're dominating. A loss like this might send '87 back to '97....

Doesn't even hafta go back to '97. Just has to go back to the later Gilmore days to recall horrific HC teams. Oh and they were fully-stocked with scholarships too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Doesn't even hafta go back to '97. Just has to go back to the later Gilmore days to recall horrific HC teams. Oh and they were fully-stocked with scholarships too.

Sadly, very true! Lehigh fans are experiencing HC 2017 right now....

HC with a much needed TD! Still a lot of time left in Worcester. Game on....

The Boogie Down
September 11th, 2021, 03:34 PM
Sadly, very true! Lehigh fans are experiencing HC 2017 right now....

HC with a much needed TD! Still a lot of time left in Worcester. Game on....

I know I'm simply repeating what non-Lehigh fans have said for a while but, how did he get hired to begin with?

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Let's start giving Merrimack and the NEC due credit.

In other games Duquesne us hanging late with FBS Ohio.

No doubt. NEC has really had the PL's number for a while now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Richmond 31 Lehigh 3 Final

The offensive production is historically bad. There's actually some individual talent (Garcia, Hill, Snyder, Allen, WR's as a group) but they're not being put in a position to succeed...at all. Brisson has to go! That needs to happen and then keep evaluating and assessing.

Richmond took mercy on Lehigh in the second half. This game could easily have been 45-3 or 52-3.....

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 03:46 PM
HC is just getting flat out beat by Merrimack. They are bullying us in the second half with the run game, which is real impressive because in the first half it was in the air. Hats off to the Warriors.

35-14 Merrimack.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 03:54 PM
Purdue is beating UConn 35-0 at half....

Will that be HC's only OOC win?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 03:56 PM
No doubt. NEC has really had the PL's number for a while now.

Merrimack looks better than Richmond. More explosive, more speed...

CHIP72
September 11th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Looks like HC let the UConn win go to their heads. They'll get back in this one, but will it be enough?

Nah, it is more like UConn really, really sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crusader11
September 11th, 2021, 04:00 PM
HC was very lethargic today, but Merrimack is also legit. I'm impressed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Holy Cross next 3 games....

@ Yale, @ Monmouth, Harvard

No where to hide for Chesney and company. Going to be an interesting next 3 weeks around the Crusader program. They finally had legit momentum for the first time in over a decade. This is Chesney's biggest test so far as a head coach....

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Bucknell is not going to win tonight. If Lafayette or Fordham does, that team is suddenly the favorite for the PL title.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 04:18 PM
Hoyas block a FG in overtime, win 20-14.

The Boogie Down
September 11th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Hoyas block a FG in overtime, win 20-14.
Nice comeback!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Congrats Georgetown!!

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Has any team had a whipsaw two weeks like HC? A big win over UConn and the defense drops out against Merrimack. Such is PL football.

For the hundreds of UConn fans remaining out there, your score after three quarters...at home...

Purdue 49
UConn 0

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Fordham 0 Monmouth 0 End of 1Q....looks like an evenly matched game

Lafayette 0 W&M 0 End of 1Q....ditto....

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Monmouth 7
Fordham 0
12:28 2nd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Ugh...Fordham was driving, DeMorat strip sacked, Monmouth makes them pay with a TD

MU 7-0 12:28 2Q

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Has any team had a whipsaw two weeks like HC? A big win over UConn and the defense drops out against Merrimack. Such is PL football.

For the hundreds of UConn fans remaining out there, your score after three quarters...at home...

Purdue 49
UConn 0

That UConn win won’t look much better than a HC win over over Georgetown or Colgate later this season.

Huskies have been out scored 95-0 in 2 games vs FBS opponents.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 05:58 PM

If Fordham would offer me a position as well! If I go down that road I'm getting the "employee discount"....

I wish Father McShane well in retirement! Those still connected to the U of Scranton certainly share those sentiments. I had a chance to talk with Jack Armstrong (Toronto Raptors play-by-play, former Fordham Assistant, head coach at Niagara) this week. He provided some great insights! Tremendous guy!

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 06:27 PM
Nova could put up 100 tonight against Bucknell if they chose. D3 quality in Lewisburg this year. Bad D3.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Bucknell 0
Villanova 45
5:54 2nd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 06:32 PM
W&M 3 Lafayette 0 Half
Monmouth 14 Fordham 10 Half

Two opportunities to change the narrative of the day a bit. Both would be respectable to good wins. Lafayette's defense is legit. Athletic and plays with an edge! Offense still remains lost under Garrett. Fordham has the talent, need to be more crisp on both sides of the ball...the little things Conlin...

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 06:35 PM
Garrett has settled on a franchise QB once and he transferred. Meanwhile Cole Northrup is on W&M’s bench.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 06:37 PM
173-60 cumulative OOC vs PL so far today.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Lafayette 96 total yards, W&M 63.....slugfest..

C'mon 'Pards!

The Boogie Down
September 11th, 2021, 06:40 PM
W&M 3 Lafayette 0 Half
Monmouth 14 Fordham 10 Half

Two opportunities to change the narrative of the day a bit. Both would be respectable to good wins. Lafayette's defense is legit. Athletic and plays with an edge! Offense still remains lost under Garrett. Fordham has the talent, need to be more crisp on both sides of the ball...the little things Conlin...

"Li'l Mo' Crisp, Joe" would make for a pretty accurate nickname.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Fordham will be tough in the league regardless of what happens early. The preseason favorite remains the favorite.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Monmouth TD...Rams in the danger zone

Beach Birds 21 Rams 10 11:39 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 07:02 PM
W&M with a 80+ yard pick 6 on a tipped ball...brutal. 'Pards had a helluva drive going, running down the Tribe's throat...

10-0 W&M 4:53 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 07:16 PM
W&M with one of the most ridiculous TD's I've ever seen! Ball bounces off a W&M WR's hands/facemask who's literally laying on the ground into a another receivers hands who's running behind and he proceeds to run it in for a TD. Two absolutely brutal TD's has likely ended the 'Pards hopes...wow...that sucks. This highlight will be shown over and over on espn and social media...

W&M 17-0 0:07 3Q

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 07:28 PM
Fordham closes to 21-16, the two point conversion is intercepted and returned 100 yards.

Monmouth 23-16

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 07:29 PM
TD Fordham! Nice drive! But, they go for 2, gets picked and returned 100 yards for a 2 points for Monmouth! Wow!

Monmouth 23-16 2:17 3Q

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 07:30 PM
So what do we know … Bucknell is terrible. Lehigh may be very bad. That is about all. Fordham is playing with a ranked FCS team.

I miss the days of OOC reserved mainly for the Ivies. Better games, meaningful games, traditional rivalries and not as much of a “two season” feel.

Because every game matters. Not just the league contests.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 08:05 PM
W&M ices with another pick 6. Lafayette played well but 2 or 3 plays were ultimately the difference...

W&M 24-3 3:54 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Ram TD!! Need a stop!

Monmouth 26-23 4:08 4Q

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2021, 08:23 PM
Strange play to end the game--Monmouth rushed no one, and Fordham stood there for a while before launching its hopes for the end zone.

It came up short.

Monmouth 26
Fordham 23

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Ram hail mary goes through a Fordham receiver's hands! wow! so close!!

Monmouth 26 Fordham 23 Final

W&M 24 Lafayette 3 Final

Whelp, that concludes another horrific day of PL football. Georgetown saves the league from an 0'fer. That might happen next week....

The Boogie Down
September 11th, 2021, 08:25 PM
Strange play to end the game--Monmouth rushed no one, and Fordham stood there for a while before launching its hopes for the end zone.

It came up short.

Monmouth 26
Fordham 23

No replay (or announcers) but pretty sure #23 MJ Wright had a hand on it before the Hail Mary bounced into the end zone.

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 08:49 PM
1 win. 209 - 76 aggregate score.
We don’t need scholarships for this. Geebus.
Bigger rosters won’t make a difference either.
The league just stinks.

*corrected for faulty mental math*

Digby
September 11th, 2021, 08:59 PM
Final standings prediction:

Fordham
Holy Cross
Lafayette
… Then the Futile Four …
Lehigh
Colgate
Georgetown
Bucknell

KPSUL
September 11th, 2021, 10:07 PM
I refer you to post # 33, response to Sader. this thread:

" Also don't put too much stock in the fact you beat a 3rd rate FBS team. We (UNH) beat a similarly struggling FBS Georgia Southern in 2017, and then got soundly beat by your guys a week later."

ngineer
September 11th, 2021, 10:52 PM
While Lehigh wasn't going to win at Richmond, I did detect some improvement over the prior week. Beesmer at QB seemed to be able to move the team better, and he pulled off some nice keepers off of fakes. Lehigh helped Richmond by handing the Spiders three short field TD's off two shanked punts and an interception. Defense put into too many high pressure situations in the second quarter. One thing to keep in mind with Lehigh is how young they are. 2/3 of the team is frosh and sophs. Most of Spiders were either R/S juniors and seniors and 5th and a couple 6 year seniors. Between 4 years in age and experience, this was big mismatch from the start. Will be interesting to see Richmond and 'nova play each other next week. Meanwhile, Lehigh hosts Princeton. The minus is that on paper they are considered the best of the Ivies this year. The plus is that this will be Princeton's opener and the possibility of rust and lack of game experience in a couple years. If Lehigh is to have any kind of chance, it would be to get a quick lead and build before the Tiggers get settled in. The problem is our offense has been horribly lackluster. The run game must be improved in order for whoever is the QB to get some decent time. I think part of the problem is that Lehigh doesn't have a "QB Whisperer". There are six QB's on the roster, but I am not aware of any of the assistants having significant experience with the QB position. The last several years have not shown growth or improvement in Lehigh's QB's during their stays. We used to be know for always having a strong, steady QB ready to go. Now, it's anyone's guess as to who can lead this offense. Lehigh has some nice young talent. I just hope that there is measurable improvement over the next few weeks in order to build confidence. Hafner and Harris both left the game in the second half with injuries, not sure how serious.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2021, 11:05 PM

It came up short.

Monmouth 26
Fordham 23

I thought he was never going to throw it

Bogus Megapardus
September 12th, 2021, 04:18 AM
I miss the days of OOC reserved mainly for the Ivies. Better games, meaningful games, traditional rivalries and not as much of a “two season” feel.

Usually I get hammered when I say this, but if the shoe fits . . .

We don’t need scholarships for this. Geebus.

My thoughts too.

Doc QB
September 12th, 2021, 06:43 AM
While Lehigh wasn't going to win at Richmond. One thing to keep in mind with Lehigh is how young they are. 2/3 of the team is frosh and sophs. Most of Spiders were either R/S juniors and seniors and 5th and a couple 6 year seniors. Between 4 years in age and experience, this was big mismatch from the start.
I think part of the problem is that Lehigh doesn't have a "QB Whisperer". There are six QB's on the roster, but I am not aware of any of the assistants having significant experience with the QB position. The last several years have not shown growth or improvement in Lehigh's QB's during their stays.

While we don’t have a boatload of fifth year seniors nor COVID six year guys, I don’t want a youth excuse to persist once Ivy and PL games arrive. We had 3-4 sophs on first 22, no frosh. That’s not that young at all. Nova and Richmond just more talent across the board. We could bring this same team back three more years and we don’t beat either of them. PL lifer head coaches who either can’t recognize CAA level talent in recruiting, can’t land it on signing day, or if it does, can’t coach it up.

sadly, I think it’s all three of those factors.

Coaching is the issue. The assistants and coordinators aren’t getting it done. LU’s defense? Exposed as a stat fraud from a spring playing subpar PL squads. LU’s offense could fill a whole thread w it’s ineptitude. The OC is terrible, has developed no one, and going back, had a talented Qi totally regress. It’s very clear he isn’t the guy.

So, who are our peers? Just the PL? Is that all we aspire to? The nova-Richmond-w&m we pine for is clearly not. They are head and shoulders above us athletically. The Ivys? We’ll never match their academic street cred, and we haven’t lit it up on the field against them either. We turn up our noses at the NEC, and should not. Albany and Stony Brook moved to CAA and passed us by. Duquesne is progressing huge. Monmouth owns the PL.

We had a chance to become unique. Higher profile academic schools w athletic scholarships. Should have been an easy selling point. Instead, we are unique for being inept. I hope Sterret heard the UR announcers mid-game, ‘that’s why the Howards and Lehighs are on the schedule, a win and chance to tune up before the CAA slate.’ That’s what we have become.

Digby
September 12th, 2021, 08:20 AM
Gilmore appears to have been watching a different game.
Post game quote: “Richmond had to make some adjustments to some of the RPO things we were doing.”

Yes. They eased up when it was a blowout but Gilmore seems to think he outcoached them with his offensive scheme.
That’s the kind of comment that should get a coach fired, similar to Frank’s statements after his last loss to Lehigh.

Meanwhile at Lafayette, Aichholz never played a down. Fisher has finally played but TE. Garrett recruited him. What happened?

**Corrected with some happiness upon seeing Fisher has played. Good for him. He’s a good student and by all accounts a solid citizen just as Aichholz was.**

Go Green
September 12th, 2021, 08:49 AM

In 2019, undefeated Dartmouth beat undefeated Princeton in Yankee Stadium, avenging it's only loss of 2018....

... and then laid an egg at home against last-place Cornell the following week.

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2021, 09:09 AM
Finally some optimism in Easton. The Pards have a quality defense and a solid Oline. W&M had only 173 yards of offense.

What the Pards lack is explosive playmakers at the skill positions, especially at RB. If Shoemaker stays in Easton, this is a league championship caliber team. Instead he in on the bench at Sam Houston.

Sitting Bull
September 12th, 2021, 08:44 PM
W&M with a 80+ yard pick 6 on a tipped ball...brutal. 'Pards had a helluva drive going, running down the Tribe's throat...

10-0 W&M 4:53 3Q

That pick 6 was pretty electric.

“Running down the Tribes throat” a bit melodramatic. Lafayette finished with 32 total rushing yards on 26 attempts for the game.

Tribe4SF
September 13th, 2021, 07:37 AM
That pick 6 was pretty electric.

“Running down the Tribes throat” a bit melodramatic. Lafayette finished with 32 total rushing yards on 26 attempts for the game.

Could have been worse but Rent Montie was uncanny throwing the ball away on some of the ten QBHurries the Tribe had (in addition to six sacks). I was impressed with his play and he was the Lafayette offense.

Go Green
September 13th, 2021, 10:21 AM
I refer you to post # 33, response to Sader. this thread:

" Also don't put too much stock in the fact you beat a 3rd rate FBS team. We (UNH) beat a similarly struggling FBS Georgia Southern in 2017, and then got soundly beat by your guys a week later."

UConn at 226 is the lowest rated FBS team in the Sagarin ratings this week.

College football team ratings 2021 - Jeff Sagarin Ratings (usatoday.com) (https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2021-2/college-football-team-ratings-2021/)

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Finally some optimism in Easton. The Pards have a quality defense and a solid Oline. W&M had only 173 yards of offense.

What the Pards lack is explosive playmakers at the skill positions, especially at RB. If Shoemaker stays in Easton, this is a league championship caliber team. Instead he in on the bench at Sam Houston.

WHY do that? Any insights?

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2021, 12:25 PM
Could have been worse but Rent Montie was uncanny throwing the ball away on some of the ten QBHurries the Tribe had (in addition to six sacks). I was impressed with his play and he was the Lafayette offense.

Hey Tribe. Wish I could have been at my first at Williamsburg. I was following it online celebrating my bday 9/11 at where else...Lafayette Colorado! I saw the signs for it off I-25 so..why not? The stats were weird. We actually gained more total yards by a few? The TOs and blocked punt were difference. Congrats

Tribe4SF
September 14th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Hey Tribe. Wish I could have been at my first at Williamsburg. I was following it online celebrating my bday 9/11 at where else...Lafayette Colorado! I saw the signs for it off I-25 so..why not? The stats were weird. We actually gained more total yards by a few? The TOs and blocked punt were difference. Congrats

Happy B-Day!!!

The biggest factors in the game were relentless pressure from the Tribe D and field position. Even when Montie produced some positive movement for the Pards you had the feeling it would not end well for them. The two pick sixes were a direct result of pressure. Tribe offense shot their feet multiple times with 8 penalties for 76 yards. The second blocked punt saw a return for TD taken down because of a penalty. Impressed with the Pards' D but we were missing 5 starters on O and our QB is clearly not all the way back from shoulder surgery. Looks like we may get some guys back for Colgate.

Sitting Bull
September 14th, 2021, 02:51 PM
We get another game next year back in Easton which I thoroughly enjoyed the visit a few years ago.

I would love to see W&M maintain periodic games with Lafayette and Lehigh.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2021, 06:21 PM
We get another game next year back in Easton which I thoroughly enjoyed the visit a few years ago.

Lafayette would love to see W&M regularly. I hope we were gracious hosts.

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 08:43 AM

Me too! I would be pleased to finally meet my good AGS friend Tribe and you next year

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 08:45 AM
Happy B-Day!!!

The biggest factors in the game were relentless pressure from the Tribe D and field position. Even when Montie produced some positive movement for the Pards you had the feeling it would not end well for them. The two pick sixes were a direct result of pressure. Tribe offense shot their feet multiple times with 8 penalties for 76 yards. The second blocked punt saw a return for TD taken down because of a penalty. Impressed with the Pards' D but we were missing 5 starters on O and our QB is clearly not all the way back from shoulder surgery. Looks like we may get some guys back for Colgate.

Yeah Montie is a soph who before Air Force game had never thrown an in game collegiate pass. Actually at that AF game (what a great venue and fans!) none of the three QBs by committee that game had thrown a collegiate pass!

ngineer
September 15th, 2021, 08:55 PM

I would love to see W&M maintain periodic games with Lafayette and Lehigh. Yes, we had a some regular scheduled games back in the '80's and '90's. Tricked my wife into a four day weekend trip to Williamsburg in '89 or '90. Of course she and my daughter went shopping on Saturday as my son and I went to the game! Also did Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg and Six Flags. Great weekend, despite the loss.

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2021, 08:34 AM
Yes, we had a some regular scheduled games back in the '80's and '90's. Tricked my wife into a four day weekend trip to Williamsburg in '89 or '90. Of course she and my daughter went shopping on Saturday as my son and I went to the game! Also did Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg and Six Flags. Great weekend, despite the loss.

Yes, yes yes! Good job on the fake! Never been to those places down there. Yorktown of course is where Lafayette was instrumental in the final battle!