PDA

View Full Version : GSU offensive surprises in order...

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Have your team's EMTs on stand by by your defensive coordinator because you are not going to believe what you see. 2 QB's with 2 offenses.

Foster - WVU/Florida Spread option AND Hatch Attack (Texas Tech)

Clark - Hatch Attack

A 2 QB system using zone reads, triple option outta the shotgun, short passes to set up runs, play-action long bombs, iso and mesh routes with the back swooping out of the backfield if there's no blitz... Impossible to prepare for. Impossible to predict what comes next.

The best part: Clark can run block decent enough and Foster will be on the field pretty much the whole time. So when we line up in the shotgun with Clark at QB, Hamilton right next to him, and Foster in the slot we will just motion Foster over to the QB position and mess with your defensive coordinators blood pressure some. Trick plays, oh yea you bet.

Mountain Panther
August 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Brilliant or very confusing for the offensive line, WRs, RBs and pretty much the entire offense BUT the QBs?

X-Factor
August 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
This is somewhat similar to what NDSU is going to do this fall. A two QB system where they can both line up behind center at the same time or either QB as wideout, even RB. Sounds confusing to me with all of the extra offensive sets (NDSU has reported something like 30 different looks for this fall), but apparently it looked good in the scrimmage this morning.

Hope GSU has success with it! I personally think it will work out amazingly well with Foster in the backfield for you guys.

GreatAppSt
August 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM
If GSU has much offense, It will no doubt be surprising.xsmiley_wix

GreatAppSt
August 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
A 2 QB system using zone reads, triple option outta the shotgun, short passes to set up runs, play-action long bombs, iso and mesh routes with the back swooping out of the backfield if there's no blitz... Impossible to prepare for. Impossible to predict what comes next.

The best part: Clark can run block decent enough and Foster will be on the field pretty much the whole time. So when we line up in the shotgun with Clark at QB, Hamilton right next to him, and Foster in the slot we will just motion Foster over to the QB position and mess with your defensive coordinators blood pressure some. Trick plays, oh yea you bet.

Sounds like there is whole lot of stuff to go wrong.xnodx

mrklean
August 18th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Boy its going to be nice when we kick the CRAP out of you this year!!!!!!!!!!!

GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Have your team's EMTs on stand by by your defensive coordinator because you are not going to believe what you see. 2 QB's with 2 offenses.

Foster - WVU/Florida Spread option AND Hatch Attack (Texas Tech)

Clark - Hatch Attack

Sounds like Hatcher wants a quarterback who can run and throw, just not at the same time :)

I don't know if that's info I'd be spreading to the entire FCS nation though....probably something your coaches wanted to keep downlow for at least a couple more weeks.

JoeNeck90
August 19th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Sounds like Hatcher wants a quarterback who can run and throw, just not at the same time :)

I don't know if that's info I'd be spreading to the entire FCS nation though....probably something your coaches wanted to keep downlow for at least a couple more weeks.

How 'bout it? xoopsx

Old Montana State Grad
August 19th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Nah! That's just the point; no matter how hard you prepared for the good old triple option, you never knew who had the ball, when the pitch was coming, if the waggle was next (all three or four times a game).

I think Hatcher wants to get in everybodies head now.

OL FU
August 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Nah! That's just the point; no matter how hard you prepared for the good old triple option, you never knew who had the ball, when the pitch was coming, if the waggle was next (all three or four times a game).

I am going to wait about 11 more weeks before I start worrying aboutxsmiley_wix

CID1990
August 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Over the years I have occasionally seen a team that comes out with two separate offensive schemes like this. Almost every time it indicated that the coach didn't have the personnel to make just one offensive set work all the time.

The use of the word 'surprise' was appropriate, since most folks will be surprised if this produces the results GSU fans are looking for.

youwouldno
August 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Foster and Clark split time last season too. Foster can't throw and Clark is just a mediocre QB.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Foster and Clark split time last season too. Foster can't throw and Clark is just a mediocre QB.

Yea, but every time Foster was in we ran. Foster will be throwing this time around so you don't know what's about to happen.

And Clark was either hot or cold last year. He has improved a lot from what I have heard because Hatcher has been helping him work on his throwing motion and mechanics. Hatch played QB in college and knows a thing or two about that sort of thing.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Over the years I have occasionally seen a team that comes out with two separate offensive schemes like this. Almost every time it indicated that the coach didn't have the personnel to make just one offensive set work all the time.

The use of the word 'surprise' was appropriate, since most folks will be surprised if this produces the results GSU fans are looking for.

We have the personnel to make the Hatch Attack work very well, but why waste Foster?

It is going to make preparing for GSU that much more difficult because not only do they have to try to figure out Hatcher's standard offense, they have to figure out how to prepare against Jayson Foster being a WR and a RB and a QB.

I am also hearing that Hatcher might not redshirt that many guys because he is hell bent on winning early.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Clark has a lot of improving to do. He wouldn't start for any other team in the conference and would be third string at Furman and App and probably others.

Jayson Foster is the only legitimate proven offensive threat you have right now. Everyone else has potetial. I hope you don't think that because a player transferred from an SEC school he is going to be dominate at this level of football. That, often times, is far from the truth.

The talent could be there this year. I know many Eagle fans think Coach Hatcher is the second coming, but he's still not coached a single game at this level of football. There will most likely be a learning curve for him as well.

The key to the Eagle's season is Jayson Foster. If he stays healthy they can be dangerous. Without him your offense will scare exactly nobody.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Clark has a lot of improving to do. He wouldn't start for any other team in the conference and would be third string at Furman and App and probably others.

Jayson Foster is the only legitimate proven offensive threat you have right now. Everyone else has potetial. I hope you don't think that because a player transferred from an SEC school he is going to be dominate at this level of football. That, often times, is far from the truth.

The talent could be there this year. I know many Eagle fans think Coach Hatcher is the second coming, but he's still not coached a single game at this level of football. There will most likely be a learning curve for him as well.

The key to the Eagle's season is Jayson Foster. If he stays healthy they can be dangerous. Without him your offense will scare exactly nobody.

From reading what you just wrote it's apparent you don't follow GSU football much. We don't have any SEC transfers on offense. We have Lamar Lewis who transferred from Florida State (ACC) and Mike Hamilton who transferred from Oklahoma State (Big XII).

Foster is certainly the star of the team, but he isn't the only weapon on offense. Our backfield is more stacked than Jenga. Our receiving core has a few standouts. Our o-line is the best unit on the team according to Hatcher. The tight end situation is not good but other than that we are more than fine on offense.

Hatcher made a comment the other day that Travis was the best QB he has ever coached and that Jayson was the fastest player he has ever coached. That is saying a lot coming from a former All-American QB. Travis got SoCon Player of the Week last year after he worked some of his kinks out. I can say from first hand experience that he has drastically improved since last year.

Laserlips
August 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan

The key to the Eagle's season is Jayson Foster. If he stays healthy they can be dangerous. Without him your offense will scare exactly nobody.[/QUOTE]

Hey PaladinFan:

Be nice... We GSU fans HAVE TO be optimistic about this upcoming season.. We are trying desperately to forget the nightmare known as the "season of the Goober", and it's too depressing to consider anything but immediate and overwhelming success for our GSU Eagles...

In our favor is that when you are coming off a 3-8 season with a dofuss running the show who had no plan, or history of success as a head football coach, and an ego so large his head couldn't hold it we have no where to go but UP.. We come into THIS season with a new Head Coach who has a very good record of success elsewhere. We have been fortunate to pick up some highly regarded transfers, and had more successful recruiting than we otherwise might have expected from the short recruiting period BVGthe idiot left our new coaches with..

We already had some very qood athletes, including of course Jayson Foster, and it seems things are falling into place to offer our Eagles the potential to be a pretty darn good football team.

Coach Chris Hatcher is the polar opposite of the goob and he has indeed been accepted as the 2nd coming of ERK.. He is a quality individual, and he is a winner, and if he has a personal ego, he keeps it well hidden. He in fact is everything BVG was not...

So, if the stars align properly I think our Eagles will surprise some of our foes this upcoming season...

I believe we have the honor of hosting the GSU/Furman contest this season... I'm happy the game is further along in the season as it'll give our Eagles a chance to learn the new system and gain experience that is always badly needed when GSU and Furman tangle.. That's good for us.. We have a history of playing well in Paulson Stadium, and hope you will come down for the game.

We can both get a first hand view of whether the GSU Eagles coached by Chris Hatcher are for real or not..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Jerbearasu
August 19th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I think GSU will surprise most teams in the SoCon. Everyone is writing them off because they see a 3-8 record last year and a new coach. Foster is the real deal (I still don't think he can throw worth a crap but he is very dangerous with the ball) and from what other GSU posters were saying earlier it looks like Covington moved to defense because he was pushed to 3rd on the depth chart at running back which is surprising because he was a stud last year. I still think GSU will need a year or two to fully regain Big 3 status but Hatch sure is instilling confidence into the program which is always big. And I think the fact that he is pushing to win early on shows his kids that he believes in them. Remember this is a team that was something like 20 points away from being a winning football club last year.
I don't know too much about the defense. I know they are supposed to be fairly solid but I have not heard much about any stars on the team. Any insights Eagle fans? Anywho, I hope to make it up to Boone this year for the game and hope to see many GSU fans up there!

james_lawfirm
August 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hey PaladinFan:

Be nice... We GSU fans HAVE TO be optimistic about this upcoming season.. We are trying desperately to forget the nightmare known as the "season of the Goober", and it's too depressing to consider anything but immediate and overwhelming success for our GSU Eagles...

In our favor is that when you are coming off a 3-8 season with a dofuss running the show who had no plan, or history of success as a head football coach, and an ego so large his head couldn't hold it we have no where to go but UP.. We come into THIS season with a new Head Coach who has a very good record of success elsewhere. We have been fortunate to pick up some highly regarded transfers, and had more successful recruiting than we otherwise might have expected from the short recruiting period BVGthe idiot left our new coaches with..

We already had some very qood athletes, including of course Jayson Foster, and it seems things are falling into place to offer our Eagles the potential to be a pretty darn good football team.

Coach Chris Hatcher is the polar opposite of the goob and he has indeed been accepted as the 2nd coming of ERK.. He is a quality individual, and he is a winner, and if he has a personal ego, he keeps it well hidden. He in fact is everything BVG was not...

So, if the stars align properly I think our Eagles will surprise some of our foes this upcoming season...

I believe we have the honor of hosting the GSU/Furman contest this season... I'm happy the game is further along in the season as it'll give our Eagles a chance to learn the new system and gain experience that is always badly needed when GSU and Furman tangle.. That's good for us.. We have a history of playing well in Paulson Stadium, and hope you will come down for the game.

We can both get a first hand view of whether the GSU Eagles coached by Chris Hatcher are for real or not..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Pomeroy:

This is a very good, level-headed post. Your description of last year as the "Season of the Goober" is priceless. I wish GaSo the best, until they arrive in Boone that is.

IMHO, the 2-scheme offense is just an accident waiting to happen. From blocking schemes, to pass routes, to the use of the other running backs, it seems to me that with 2-schemes the rest of the offense will be hard pressed to remember their assignment on any given play.

I understood that Armanti Edwards had only a handful of plays, but 3 different speeds to run them on. The more difficult and complicated that a Coach makes things, then the probability of a screw up goes up exponentially. I think last year Edwards knew about 3 different options he had on each play (that's about all it seemed that he needed.) But I also understand he's been given some more options on the same plays for this year.

Anyway, given the above understanding of the limits of offensive plans and schemes, THAT is what made the triple option such a great plan.

Not to mention that by changing personnel for different schemes, the defense has just one more clue of what they need to do.

I predict that by the 2nd or 3rd game, there will be one plan and one scheme on the GaSo offense. Don't know what it will be, but there will be just one of them. And, probably there will be just one QB to run them.

Laserlips
August 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm

I predict that by the 2nd or 3rd game, there will be one plan and one scheme on the GaSo offense. Don't know what it will be, but there will be just one of them. And, probably there will be just one QB to run them.[/QUOTE]

james_lawfirm:

You could well be correct..

We have been told from people who knew Coach Hatcher at Valdosta State that he is adept at recognizing what is working, and what is not working at any given time, and extremely good at making the correct adjustments when needed.

I think the skills of Jayson Foster has surprised Coach Hatcher.. For a time it seemed Jayson would be a receiver, but now he is taking as many snaps as anyone at qb, and in contrast to last season, when Jayson was terribly under utilized Coach Hatcher has said more than once he wants to get Jayson the ball at every opportunity.. Good things happen more often than not when Jayson gets the ball...;)

I'm sure our first few games will be entertaining, and might look somewhat like the "keystone kops" from time to time, but I honestly think Coach Hatcher will get his offense clicking sooner rather than later and our Eagles will be a team nobody takes lightly.

I could be wrong, but I'm a GSU "homer" and I expect this is going to be an exciting year for the GSU Eagle football program and fans.. Next year and the year after that should be even better. xthumbsupx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

youwouldno
August 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
GSU fans are deliriously happy with Hatcher right now but I wonder how much patience they will have. Given apparent expectations, maybe not too much.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
GSU fans are deliriously happy with Hatcher right now but I wonder how much patience they will have. Given apparent expectations, maybe not too much.

They were singing Van Gorder's praises this time last year. Only time will tell. For you Eagle fans, if you could go back, would you have fired Sewak? It seems that decision has likely cost your program 3 years.

straightshooter
August 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Here's one GSU fan that didn't drink BVG's KoolAid. Never liked the guy from the start. Now Hatcher is a different story. The guy is a football coach. You can say what you want about his "this level" experience, but he's been successful at every playing and coaching level, including his stint in the SEC with KY.

The guy is a true QB coach, and that's what will make the difference in the GSU QBs in '07. Hatcher personally coached Tim Couch at KY (#1 NFL draft choice) and Dante Culpepper at Central Florida. He also coached a Harlen Hill Award winner at VSU and passed for more than two miles as a collegiate QB himself. The guy knows the QB position. He will work on things like Clark's touch and Foster's throwing mechanics.

The GSU QB position may not be the greatest in the FCS, but you can bet it will be light years ahead of last year.

Baldy
August 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM
After reading the responses in this thread, he has. xlolx xthumbsupx

Seven Would Be Nice
August 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I will say this, as a GSU fan I realize we are hyping up Hatcher and our new offense quite a bit. There is definitely an excitement in the air in the boro right now.. or maybe its just the humidity ;). Either way, I can't wait for Sept. 8th, and I know I'm not alone. When it does come down to it though, Hatcher does have a lot to prove. Only time will tell.

ASU
August 19th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Boy its going to be nice when we kick the CRAP out of you this year!!!!!!!!!!!

GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRETTY GOOD THAT YOU CAN WRITE WHILE U ARE SLEEPING !!!!
Come on now....kick the crap out of the Apps.....no way!

WCU LawCat
August 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM
If anyone beats App (not counting Michigan) it will not be a "crap" kicking.

I see GSU starting out on the right path this season but are only a major injury or two away from another disappointing season (just like us at Western).

OL FU
August 20th, 2007, 06:05 AM
After reading the responses in this thread, he has. xlolx xthumbsupx

You didn't read mine:p

gasouthern01
August 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
They were singing Van Gorder's praises this time last year. Only time will tell. For you Eagle fans, if you could go back, would you have fired Sewak? It seems that decision has likely cost your program 3 years.

Sewak was fired after the 2005 season and during 2004 and 2005 all he kept saying was 2006 was the year to watch out gor GSU. With Foster being a junior and had 1 full year of running the option offense under his belt, we would have been a very very tough team to handle. We GSU fans are spoiled and Sewak didn't win some games that we all thought he should have (Wofford a few times, Texas St). Also it was apparent he had no control over his team, there was no discipline on or off the field and all of these things led to his being let go. But yes, that firing did set GSU back a few years at least.

Eaglesrus
August 20th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't have fired Sewak at that point, but the way things were going I think it was inevitable. A the time I, and I think many others, weren't yet aware of how far off track the off-field stuff had gotten. However, the main thing I would have changed (obviously) is who was hired as his replacement. The first time I heard the name I thought "defensive guy, that's where we need help, good deal". That opinion changed the very first time that I heard him speak.

blueballs
August 20th, 2007, 09:02 AM

That is a very good analysis except for one thing: Mike Hamilton ran for over 900 yards year before last in the Big 12 and put 190+ on the eventual NC Texas. That qualifies him as a proven offensive threat at any level of college football.

BALD EAGLE
August 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
As a "big-time" Ga. Southern fan I think fans who are predicting the Eagles to have a bad season (anything less than 8 wins is a bad season) did not see them play last year. If they had they would have seen one of the worst coached teams in the history of football especially on offense and they would also have seen one of the best players in the history of I-AA football.

For those who care, I base my opinion of Jayson Foster on the fact that I have averaged attending more than 10 games a season for 22 years and have attended 9 National Championship Games – 6 of which Ga. Southern was in.

And Ga. Southern has a lot more talent who were lost in van gorder’s mess.

As an obnoxious fan who expects the Eagles to win every game, I would not be surprised if they did.

BTW – In my opinion Coach Sewak was fired because his teams were not very consistent especially during the playoffs.

GO EAGLES

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Laserlips
August 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Hey,

I'll fess up.

I was one of the unhappy GSU faithful that was calling for Sewak's head, and when he was fired I thought it appropriate..

Coach Sewak from all I understand was a very good guy... A good "person".. Oftentimes, in some jobs, just being a "good guy" is enough..

It's not as the head football coach of the GSU Eagles..

Coach Sewak, IMO led a team lacking discipline. My understanding is that a goodly portion of GSU's woe's regarding losing scholarships because of low player gpa's can be placed directly at the feet of Coach Sewak and his staff..

Coach Sewak had absolutely no imagination at crunch time.. His play calling under stress was so predictable as to be laughable..

The truth as I saw it was that with the release (firing) of Coach Sewak the folks who were responsible for hiring a new coach would understand we needed someone who would take the existing triple option offense, add a measure of a passing attack, be serious about player discipline, and we would be good to go..

The hiring of the goober was a shock to us all, and I think most of us thought our GSU had struck gold, and we had hired a coach who would take us to the promised land.

What we didn't know then, but learned shortly thereafter, was that as a new head coach BVG had no peers, IN HIS MIND.. He had a greater opinion of his skills than most of us did, and from day one he alienated the vast majority of GSU fans. BVG was way over his head at GSU and I think it scared him to death.. He wasn't able to bs his way to success, and I think in some positions prior to his hiring at GSU he had been able to do just that.

BVG spit on every tradition that the average GSU fan loved.. He never made any effort whatsoever to become a member of the extended "GSU family", and made no bones about he was the new Sheriff in town, and the "local yokel" GSU fans might as well get out of the way because we weren't smart enough to understand his "vision"..

He was an ass.

We had the opportunity to hire Coach Chris Hatcher when BVG the goober was hired.. We should have hired Coach Chris Hatcher rather than BVG the goober.. Bad mistake.

Coach Hatcher is the real deal. He is "our" kind of guy, and we are pleased to have him, and so far he has said and done everything we could have wished for him to do. He is a winner... He has a proven track record as a winner. He apparently has a great skill in adapting his offense/defense to the talents of the players he has, and that is a skill that still eludes BVG the goober to this day. His record indicates that he is also very good at making adjustments on the fly in a game when he sees something that needs adjusting.

Last season I don't think the coaching staff EVER made any halftime adjustments, much less adjustments during the game as conditions changed.

I can't say Coach Hatcher is a miracle man. I can say that if history is any indicator he IS a winner, and good things happen to winners in the same way bad things happen to losers.. BVG the goober is a prime example.

We are all in basically the same position regarding Coach Chris Hatcher and the success or lack thereof in the coming season. GSU fans expect good things, and GSU detractors expect failure because of the situation... We'll all find out who is right or wrong in a few weeks..

I will say I'm sure our first few games will be "interesting", but I have full confidence that Coach Hatcher will fix things as he sees them, and folks we have to play later in the season can take us lightly if they so chose..

I hope they do..

JMOFO xcoffeex

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

mrklean
August 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hey,

I'll fess up.

I was one of the unhappy GSU faithful that was calling for Sewak's head, and when he was fired I thought it appropriate..

Coach Sewak from all I understand was a very good guy... A good "person".. Oftentimes, in some jobs, just being a "good guy" is enough..

It's not as the head football coach of the GSU Eagles..

Coach Sewak, IMO led a team lacking discipline. My understanding is that a goodly portion of GSU's woe's regarding losing scholarships because of low player gpa's can be placed directly at the feet of Coach Sewak and his staff..

Coach Sewak had absolutely no imagination at crunch time.. His play calling under stress was so predictable as to be laughable..

The truth as I saw it was that with the release (firing) of Coach Sewak the folks who were responsible for hiring a new coach would understand we needed someone who would take the existing triple option offense, add a measure of a passing attack, be serious about player discipline, and we would be good to go..

The hiring of the goober was a shock to us all, and I think most of us thought our GSU had struck gold, and we had hired a coach who would take us to the promised land.

What we didn't know then, but learned shortly thereafter, was that as a new head coach BVG had no peers, IN HIS MIND.. He had a greater opinion of his skills than most of us did, and from day one he alienated the vast majority of GSU fans. BVG was way over his head at GSU and I think it scared him to death.. He wasn't able to bs his way to success, and I think in some positions prior to his hiring at GSU he had been able to do just that.

BVG spit on every tradition that the average GSU fan loved.. He never made any effort whatsoever to become a member of the extended "GSU family", and made no bones about he was the new Sheriff in town, and the "local yokel" GSU fans might as well get out of the way because we weren't smart enough to understand his "vision"..

He was an ass.

We had the opportunity to hire Coach Chris Hatcher when BVG the goober was hired.. We should have hired Coach Chris Hatcher rather than BVG the goober.. Bad mistake.

Coach Hatcher is the real deal. He is "our" kind of guy, and we are pleased to have him, and so far he has said and done everything we could have wished for him to do. He is a winner... He has a proven track record as a winner. He apparently has a great skill in adapting his offense/defense to the talents of the players he has, and that is a skill that still eludes BVG the goober to this day. His record indicates that he is also very good at making adjustments on the fly in a game when he sees something that needs adjusting.

Last season I don't think the coaching staff EVER made any halftime adjustments, much less adjustments during the game as conditions changed.

I can't say Coach Hatcher is a miracle man. I can say that if history is any indicator he IS a winner, and good things happen to winners in the same way bad things happen to losers.. BVG the goober is a prime example.

We are all in basically the same position regarding Coach Chris Hatcher and the success or lack thereof in the coming season. GSU fans expect good things, and GSU detractors expect failure because of the situation... We'll all find out who is right or wrong in a few weeks..

I will say I'm sure our first few games will be "interesting", but I have full confidence that Coach Hatcher will fix things as he sees them, and folks we have to play later in the season can take us lightly if they so chose..

I hope they do..

JMOFO xcoffeex

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GATA

pete4256
August 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Boy, we sure talk a lot of smack for a team that went 3-8 last year, lost all of our rival games, lost five straight games to end the season, and lost more games at Paulson than we usually do in a decade.

I think some of you guys have had too much kool-aid and need to remember that the GSU football program is still a cluster until proven otherwise.

Hindsight's 20/20, but a lot of you were on here last year predicting we'd have the best defense in FCS.

No wonder the rest of the subdivision hates us.

OL FU
August 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Boy, we sure talk a lot of smack for a team that went 3-8 last year, lost all of our rival games, lost five straight games to end the season, and lost more games at Paulson than we usually do in a decade.

I think some of you guys have had too much kool-aid and need to remember that the GSU football program is still a cluster until proven otherwise.

Hindsight's 20/20, but a lot of you were on here last year predicting we'd have the best defense in FCS.

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

I don't hate you guys but I guess a dose of reality is a bitter pill for a program that has been as successful as GSUxthumbsupx

Here is to another helping of realityxsmiley_wix

Eaglesrus
August 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

I don't hate you guys but I guess a dose of reality is a bitter pill for a program that has been as successful as GSUxthumbsupx

Here is to another helping of realityxsmiley_wix

Related to another thread you speculated that I might get excommunicated by my fellow GSUers! I do believe that Pete's name will be coming up at the next convocation xlolx

Laserlips
August 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM

pete4256:

For what it's worth.. Please read ANY of my posts and point out the smack for me.

I believe what I have continually said is I think Coach Hatcher is the right guy, at the right place, at the right time. I haven't said we will kick everyones butt, but I have said, and i stand by saying I think our GSU Eagles will have a very good football team this year, and it will improve next season as Coach Hatcher gets his ducks in a row.

I don't think the GSU Eagle football program in general and the team in particular can be considered a "cluster"..

Yes we were 3-8 last season, under the misguided direction of the worse head football coach, IMO, to ever walk on the GSU campus, or in Paulson Stadium..

But, even led by a total incompetent head coach we were VERY close to winning more than three games.. A total meltdown of the kicking team cost us a couple, and we took the eventual National Championship team to double overtime before losing.

Cluster, no way.. Poorly led, a team in disarray because of that lack of leadership, yes.

Hey, I'm a "homer"... Always was where GSU is concerned, and always will be. I could care less if the rest of the sub-division, division, civilized world, and Iraq, hates our guts.. I don't care if YOU don't "drink the GSU faithful" coolaid. I love GSU and I'll love 'em win or lose.

I won't roll over and play dead simply because I don't want to "offend" someone, who probably hates GSU anyway.

Everything I'VE said I believe to be the truth as I understand it. I DO think Coach Hatcher is the 2nd coming of ERK.. I DO think he will be a winner here at GSU, and I DO think we are going to have a very good season..

If YOU don't have any of the faith, and yes, even HOPE, that I do, and a lot of the GSU faithful have that GSU football is on the climb back to the top in a large part because we finally hired the right head coach then move over, wouldn't want you to get run over by a yellow school bus....

Geeze.

J. Pomeroy

pete4256
August 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM
we were VERY close to winning more than three games..

NM

OL FU
August 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Related to another thread you speculated that I might get excommunicated by my fellow GSUers! I do believe that Pete's name will be coming up at the next convocation xlolx

:D :D :D

There are many types of fans. A couple are those that eternally optimistic and those that have a healthly dose of reality. Just because one is not eternally optimistic does not mean that they love their school less than those that are. It just means that they prefer to see things without the rose colored glasses.

Hey, I think Furman has a very very good shot a being a very very good team this year. FU could even win a national championship (my realism says not this year) but I am one of those that has a reality dose so while I readily admit that it could happen I would not even start talking about it until we get a little way through the season.

The reason people goxrolleyesx with the GSU talk is this is exactly what we heard last year. Not from everybody but from enough of the eternally optimistic to make us chuckle when we hear it this year. I think you have hired a good coach and I think with GSU legacy and proven ability to produce winners, it will happen. But I would be a little more hesitant in providing the crow that my opponents will feed me later on. Now, if someone wants to be unrealistically optimistic that is fine. Just don't expect every one else to sit back and goxnodx hey makes sense to mexlolx

I realized I used your post to explain other's posts

PS if you look at my predictions, I did not predict FU to win in Statesboro. Could it happen, yes. Should it happen, probably. But I have seen the outcome way to many times to start strutting my stuff about winning in Paulson before it actually happens againxthumbsupx

SoCon48
August 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Good one!:D

Jerbearasu
August 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
GSU faithful--- What would you consider a bad season? If Hatcher reaches 6 wins this season is that a successful initial campaign? If he goes 3-8 what will be your opinion even if all of the losses are only by a few points? In other words; at what point do you personnally fall off the band-wagon (especially given the fact that he says he can win immediately with the guys he has now)? I am actually of the belief that GSU will win 7-8 games this year but am wondering what would have you scratching your head about Hatcher should the year not go well.

Laserlips
August 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
FWIW:

For me personally I'm more concerned about the "way" our Eagles play than the number of wins vs losses we have.

What I mean is last season the coaching was so bad that as fans, in the stands, we could anticipate 90% of the time what the next call would be.. We all knew there would be absolutely no adjustments made at halftime by OUR coaches. Every offensive play we had 11 Eagles looking at the sidelines for a hint as to what play the coach wanted called.. Clock management was non-existent. Clark at qb, look for a pass... Foster at qb look for a run... Hey, if old farts like my wife and myself and others in the stands could anticipate what would be called on the next offensive play, isn't it reasonable to expect a the opposing coaches could do the same?

BVG was not responsible for the kickers meltdown.. I would like to give him the blame for it, (figured out yet I'm not a BVGoober fan?), but it was just a kicker problem, and I think the harder the young men kicking tried the worse their fundamentals became, and it worked on their confidence and I felt bad for each of them, and for us, the fans in the stands.

If Coach Hatcher turns out to be what I think he will be then the winning number won't be as important as our seeing he knows what he's doing, and he's making the right decisions, regardless of whether we win or lose.

As someone else said, injury, bad officiating, just a bad bounce of the ball can turn a win into a loss, or vice-versa, and a ton of other circumstances beyond the control of the coaches can affect the score.

I honestly believe GSU HAS talented players.. I honestly believe GSU NOW has a talented coach.. So, as I look at it, as a confessed "homer" things seem to be looking good for our Eagles to do well.

I'm personally hoping for 7-8 wins, with more to follow next season.. I'll take whatever comes as long as I can see progress and good decision making.

A coach, no matter how talented, cannot make the kicks, catch the passes, or make or pick up fumbles.. Murphy's law is alive and well on any football field at any given time.

Don't know if this answers your question, or seems to be skirting a specific number.. It's overall coaches and player performance I look for.

Thanks,

J. Pomeroy

Laserlips
August 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
NM

pete4256:

In re-reading my previous post I think I let my old fart senior citizen hardheadness allow me to put my mouth in gear before engaging my brain when I was all riled up about some of the comments you had made regarding GSU and the football program..

I apologize for that, your opinion is just as valid as mine.

Sorry,

J. Pomeroy

Eaglesrus
August 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
GSU faithful--- What would you consider a bad season? If Hatcher reaches 6 wins this season is that a successful initial campaign? If he goes 3-8 what will be your opinion even if all of the losses are only by a few points? In other words; at what point do you personnally fall off the band-wagon (especially given the fact that he says he can win immediately with the guys he has now)? I am actually of the belief that GSU will win 7-8 games this year but am wondering what would have you scratching your head about Hatcher should the year not go well.

I've told a number of people that I will be happy with 6 wins this season. However, I am so relieved that "the other guy" is gone, and so pleased just by how Hatcher has conducted himself, that as long as our guys don't look totally confused out there and we win at least as many as we did last year I'm confident that I'll still be "on the band-wagon" at the end of the year.

pete4256
August 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I've told a number of people that I will be happy with 6 wins this season. However, I am so relieved that "the other guy" is gone, and so pleased just by how Hatcher has conducted himself, that as long as our guys don't look totally confused out there and we win at least as many as we did last year I'm confident that I'll still be "on the band-wagon" at the end of the year.

I won't be too upset if we get 6-7 wins, as I think that's realistic.

I expect a season that resembles App's 2004 season, though I'd be very upset if we lost to one of our biggest rivals 54-7.

I think we can be really good, however, if our team gets together (I'm interested in seeing how the defense performs). I understand the reason for the optimism and even share it to some extent. The cupboard's not bare, and personally I'm excited about things. But who isn't this time of year?

I'm starting to sound like the ultra-rational Furman posters around here. Bleh!

Must've put some secret substance in that Furman sweatshirt I won in a tuffp.com contest a couple of years back.

blueballs
August 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Success is ultimately determined by wins and losses. Period.

However, Hatcher is at the wheel of a sports car that had been run in the ditch. At the end of the 2006 season the team had no confidence and morale was as low as I've ever seen at GSU. Last season was a train wreck and I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of Brian VanGorder (for engineering the train wreck) and Sam Baker (for letting one booster who happens to be a former player in particular "run" the program and hiring the SOB).

There is no way the talent on that team should have acheived so little.

I look for a rebound in the W/L ledger, but equally as important I look for a real TEAM (Together Everybody Acheives More) and a real program to be reborn. If the team plays hard, fast, smart with passion and confidence and lays the foundation for the future- reinvigiorates everybody if you will- then the season will be successful. If they can do that and win big then that's even better.

If you look at GSU's schedule it ain't easy, 5 teams in the pre-season top 25 and a 1-A on the road. If they go 8-3 they'll be playing Thanksgiving weekend.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'm optimistic about the offense and the season, and here's why...

The thing you guys need to understand about VanGorder is that he completely underestimated the level of competition that we have. Much of his staff were random people from second-rate FBS conferences like the sun belt (including the OC). I'm sorry, but anyone who follows the FCS a little bit knows the upper FCS conferences are easily on the same level as the bottom FBS ones.

All that considered, we had a pretty tough schedule last year. On top of having to play App State and Furman, we had to play Coastal Carolina, North Dakota State, Central Arkansas, and Wofford, who were all better than we thought they'd be at the beggining of the season. In all of these games except North Dakota State and Wofford we were a few blown opportunities away from winning. This shows that we have the talent to be a great team.

As far as our coaching goes, Hatcher is a proven head coach that turned around Valdosta State very quickly. Talked with some Statesboro people that have been to some practices and they say the morale is much better this year also.

I'm thinking we lose to Colorado State, Appalachian State, and Wofford and beat everyone else.