PDA

View Full Version : Ivytalk, it's not easy scheduling a night game

bulldog10jw
August 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/08/17/religious_conflict_in_harvard_football_schedule/

Under pressure from season ticket holders and alumni, Harvard proposed yesterday to move the date of its first nighttime football game from a Jewish holiday to another day that would not conflict with the religious observance.

The game against Brown, billed as a momentous occasion in the 133-year history of Crimson football, had been scheduled for Sept. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

When Jewish fans pointed out that the date conflicts with the eve of Yom Kippur, known as Kol Nidre, Harvard initially told them they could exchange their tickets for another game. Fans complained that the university was forcing them to choose between synagogue and football. And Harvard relented.

Yesterday, Harvard said it had asked Brown to move the game to Sept. 22 at 7:30 p.m. Yom Kippur ends at sunset that day.

To be continued?

OL FU
August 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/08/17/religious_conflict_in_harvard_football_schedule/

Under pressure from season ticket holders and alumni, Harvard proposed yesterday to move the date of its first nighttime football game from a Jewish holiday to another day that would not conflict with the religious observance.

The game against Brown, billed as a momentous occasion in the 133-year history of Crimson football, had been scheduled for Sept. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

When Jewish fans pointed out that the date conflicts with the eve of Yom Kippur, known as Kol Nidre, Harvard initially told them they could exchange their tickets for another game. Fans complained that the university was forcing them to choose between synagogue and football. And Harvard relented.

Yesterday, Harvard said it had asked Brown to move the game to Sept. 22 at 7:30 p.m. Yom Kippur ends at sunset that day.

To be continued?

It is amazing how easy of a decision that would be for more baptistxnodx :D

Ivytalk
August 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM
"If it's not one thing, it's another!" -- Roseanne Rosannadanna:p

brownbear
August 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
According to Brown's athletics website, the game has been officially moved to Saturday, September 22 at 7:30, so it's still the first night game.

Ivytalk
August 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM
According to Brown's athletics website, the game has been officially moved to Saturday, September 22 at 7:30, so it's still the first night game.

Harvard's FB website says the same thing. I hope Brown brings a large contingent of fans up for the game!

Go...gate
August 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Good to see Brown represented on the AGS website! xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
August 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Good to see Brown represented on the AGS website! xthumbsupx

Harvard and Yale are well represented on AGS, and now we have Brown and a Dartmouth poster or two. Despite their recent strong teams, Princeton and Penn are AWOL!xrolleyesx Any Cornellians or Columbians (as distinct from Colombians) around?xconfusedx

bulldog10jw
August 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Harvard and Yale are well represented on AGS, and now we have Brown and a Dartmouth poster or two. Despite their recent strong teams, Princeton and Penn are AWOL!xrolleyesx Any Cornellians or Columbians (as distinct from Colombians) around?xconfusedx

If I remember correctly there was a poster from Penn when I first discovered AGS. I guess he is long since gone.

Seawolf97
August 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I think you will like playing under the lights. Same game but totally different atmosphere. Stonybrook usually has a fireworks show at th end of the game win or lose. Have Fun !xthumbsupx

DrG
August 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I live in Cambridge and look forward to walking to the game.

Ivytalk
August 21st, 2007, 06:12 AM
the east side of providence were Brown is also predominantly Jewish

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xsmhx

Huh?

carney2
August 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM

I saw a Princetonian on this board once. Quackers are too concerned for their safety in West Silly to be bothered with football. The last true Columbia football fan was seen at Lou Little's retirement dinner. and Just what is it that they do in Ithaca for entertainment? Really!

TheValleyRaider
August 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
and Just what is it that they do in Ithaca for entertainment? Really!

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all....if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...if you can't...

Ivytalk
August 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
I saw a Princetonian on this board once. Quackers are too concerned for their safety in West Silly to be bothered with football. The last true Columbia football fan was seen at Lou Little's retirement dinner. and Just what is it that they do in Ithaca for entertainment? Really!

carney, you cut right to the nut! Points for you!xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

And the answer to the bolded question is: gorge-jumping!:D

walliver
August 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Wouldn't Saturday early afternoon games be offensive to Adventists?

I guess there are not many Seventh Day Adventists at Harvard.

I wonder why they originally scheduled the game for a Friday in the first place.

Ivytalk
August 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't Saturday early afternoon games be offensive to Adventists?

I guess there are not many Seventh Day Adventists at Harvard.

I wonder why they originally scheduled the game for a Friday in the first place.

Dunno, Wally ... the 3 members of the Militant Harvard SDA Alliance were recently seen blanketing the Yard with leaflets!xnodx xlolx

brownbear
August 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM

They probably picked Friday to get it on ESPNU. Brown moved one of its games from last year to a Friday to get the TV coverage.