PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Defending Div II Champs UWF at McNeese (Saturday, noon)

McCowboys
September 3rd, 2021, 07:11 AM
This is no cupcake! The University of West Florida Argonauts is the defending Division II national champion and preseason #1. UWF is a very young program, but is loaded with FBS and FCS transfers.

Sidenote: McNeese's last game was in the spring against current FCS champions Sam Houston. This game will pit the Cowboys against current reigning Div. II champion UWF. Next week the Cowboys will face LSU, a recent FBS national champion. Current and recent national champions galore for McNeese! Geaux Pokes! (Why can't we buy a cupcake???)

https://mcneesesports.com/sports/2018/8/29/2018-mcneese-cowboys-game-notes.aspx

https://goargos.com/news/2021/8/16/football-uwf-to-open-season-as-no-1-team-in-afca-top-25-poll.aspx

Laker
September 3rd, 2021, 07:21 AM
They have a great QB- I think that he threw for six TDs against MSU-Mankato in the title game. He cooled off in the second half but it was enough to win. I still think McNeese will take care of business.

MR. CHICKEN
September 3rd, 2021, 07:25 AM

.....QB AUSTIN REED & W. FLORIDA........HAVE MO' WEAPONS......DAN DUH TALIBAN..........COWBOY FANS....BETTERAH HEAD FO' UH SALOON.....AT HIGH NOON.............AWQ!

McCowboys
September 3rd, 2021, 07:56 AM

.....QB AUSTIN REED & W. FLORIDA........HAVE MO' WEAPONS......DAN DUH TALIBAN..........COWBOY FANS....BETTERAH HEAD FO' UH SALOON.....AT HIGH NOON.............AWQ!

Mr. Chicken, for the first time in our long acquaintance, I am very disappointed in you. The Taliban? OMG! Well, if they have more weapons than the Taliban (now that the Taliban has all the weaponry the U.S. just left behind), then no one is going to stop those Argonauts! You have me very worried.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2021, 08:11 AM
BOLO for #19 Argo WR David Durden. https://goargos.com/sports/football/roster/david-durden/6144

Transferred from Mercer after Mercer’s Spring Practice was cut to only 3 sessions due to Covid in 2020. Understand that he just wasn’t sure how he would fit into Mercer’s new HC’s Offense. Woulda been a GREAT fit in FUBeAR’s opinion. FUBeAR was devastated to see him leave just because I so much enjoyed the joie de vivre with which he plays the game of Football. I think a rugged season of (very) minor league baseball before he came to Mercer in 2018, to some degree, enhances that mindset.

He was a 1st Team All-SoCon RS & 2nd Team All SoCon WR in 2019. Just a joy to watch. Full speed (which is very fast 4.4something) every play that he’s on the field - covering kicks, making acrobatic TD catches, or blocking on a running play - don’t matter. As UWF has about 40 WR’s on their roster & I haven’t seen a published depth chart, I’m not sure of his ‘status,’ but I would be quite surprised if he hasn’t found his way to get on the field amid the other 39 Transfer WR’s they have.

Non-Disclaimer: FUBeAR is not related to young Mr. Durden in any way…just love to watch kids who play the game the way I have seen him play it.