PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Sam Houston @ Northern Arizona 8:00 pm Central

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 11:04 AM
The Champions begin their defense of the title.

Sam Houston game notes: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobearkats.com/documents/2021/8/30/SHSU_FB_Notes_2021_Game1.pdf

Northern Arizona game notes: https://gobearkats.com/documents/2021/8/30/NAUvsSHSUNotes.pdf

Libertine
September 2nd, 2021, 11:35 AM
Feels like Sam barely had time to get the crown sweaty.

melloware13
September 2nd, 2021, 12:34 PM
2 things to note:
1. KC is 0-3 in season openers after coaching in the DI Championship game (04 v UNH, 08 @ Maryland, 11 @ Navy).
2. If Sam isn't on top of rotating players in look for a lull due to the Texas boys not being used to the thin air.

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 01:34 PM
Kats will be debuting a new alternate helmet design tonight.

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2021, 01:45 PM
2 things to note:
1. KC is 0-3 in season openers after coaching in the DI Championship game (04 v UNH, 08 @ Maryland, 11 @ Navy).
2. If Sam isn't on top of rotating players in look for a lull due to the Texas boys not being used to the thin air.

true, but KC lost his starting quarterbacks coming into those 3 years and Sammy gets everybody back

N Arizona defense is going to be begging for mercy

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 03:27 PM
This will be a blow out, this is men against chicks, SHSU by 30

Katfan
September 2nd, 2021, 03:57 PM
Please tell me you didn’t bet on this game!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2021, 04:53 PM

They better get up real big early then. Seems like NAU has had some ability to do some good things on D and pressure a QB but it's been so long I might have a dust covered memory of the last time I watched them. I really think it will be tight in the 4th quarter.

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 04:58 PM
Please tell me you didn’t bet on this game!SHSU all the way baby #BOOKIT

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 05:01 PM
They better get up real big early then. Seems like NAU has had some ability to do some good things on D and pressure a QB but it's been so long I might have a dust covered memory of the last time I watched them. I really think it will be tight in the 4th quarter.I don't know what it is about NAU but every time I watch these guys it is like WTF. QB's scrambling around, literally just throwing balls up for grabs, no defense, they are small and not quick, I just never got the allure. They have never won a bog game as near as I can tell but I don't watch all of their games.

I will keep an open mind but this game is going to be a blood bath I think.

Katfan
September 2nd, 2021, 05:26 PM
SHSU all the way baby #BOOKIT
Just when I was feeling good about the game you had to go and #BOOKIT.

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 05:28 PM
Just when I was feeling good about the game you had to go and #BOOKIT.No, not really, I have no money on this game, I picked SHSU without BOOKIT karma, you guys are a lock.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2021, 05:29 PM
I don't know what it is about NAU but every time I watch these guys it is like WTF. QB's scrambling around, literally just throwing balls up for grabs, no defense, they are small and not quick, I just never got the allure. They have never won a bog game as near as I can tell but I don't watch all of their games.

I will keep an open mind but this game is going to be a blood bath I think.

Possible, but to me they are a team that underachieves but against big name teams they usually show up. Coaching changes and all I might have a more optimistic version of them than I should in this game but they always have a guy or two on each side that seems to be able to change a damn game when we play them. xlolx

If NAU gets jumped on then they do as you suggest an awful lot of the time but if they are there with 6 or 7 minutes left then watch out.

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 05:37 PM
Possible, but to me they are a team that underachieves but against big name teams they usually show up. Coaching changes and all I might have a more optimistic version of them than I should in this game but they always have a guy or two on each side that seems to be able to change a damn game when we play them. xlolx

If NAU gets jumped on then they do as you suggest an awful lot of the time but if they are there with 6 or 7 minutes left then watch out.Yea, they hurl 50/50 balls all over the play and seem to come down with them.

The games I remember watching were Weber State and EWU a couple years ago, I think both teams dropped 50 or 60 on them. I had watched a few games prior to that, freaking San Diego boat raced them. All I really remember about these guys is that I would sneak them into my AGS poll and somebody would beat them by 30. I do remember that they beat UND one year, I will give them credit for that.

Katfan
September 2nd, 2021, 05:46 PM
As long as they kick to Ezzard we’ll be fine!

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2021, 05:49 PM
As long as they kick to Ezzard we’ll be fine!

this

Sammy should win in a breeze

Katfan
September 2nd, 2021, 05:53 PM
this

Sammy should win in a breeze
I like our chances

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 06:24 PM
SHSU all the way baby #BOOKIT

You Son of a Bitch!!! xsmhx

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 06:30 PM
You Son of a Bitch!!! xsmhxLOL, you will be fine.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2021, 06:42 PM
Yea, they hurl 50/50 balls all over the play and seem to come down with them.

The games I remember watching were Weber State and EWU a couple years ago, I think both teams dropped 50 or 60 on them. I had watched a few games prior to that, freaking San Diego boat raced them. All I really remember about these guys is that I would sneak them into my AGS poll and somebody would beat them by 30. I do remember that they beat UND one year, I will give them credit for that.

You nailed it, Jekyll and Hyde for sure. I don't know which they will be in this game but they know a heavyweight is in the house so I expect sharpness. Deal is, I'm going of history, old coach, etc. so this could be a completely different outcome than I expect just due to that. xlolx

BNATION
September 2nd, 2021, 06:59 PM
It’s gonna be a bloodbath

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 08:05 PM
Already amateur hour with the ESPN+ broadcast.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like a great crowd for NAU.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 08:07 PM
LOVE those helmets!!

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 08:13 PM
Sammy Defense!

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 08:20 PM
Wow. Tibbs! 7-0

BNATION
September 2nd, 2021, 08:23 PM
Wow. Tibbs! 7-0
Tibbs is a stud. And the broadcasters don’t realize they are broadcasting 😂

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 08:30 PM
You guys are harsh as hell… if anyone’s to blame it’s ESPN for sending in some cameras and asking the radio dudes to talk for the TV.

Crest wearing 9 is going to confuse me for a few games here.

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 08:34 PM
The NAU defenders play like bitches

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 08:39 PM
Sam defense is real.

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 08:54 PM
We really won a national title with Ryan Carty as our OC!

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 08:58 PM
Sam Houston 14
Northern Arizona 0

Schmid with two TD passes.

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 09:03 PM
lol good luck with the running game NAU

Nickels
September 2nd, 2021, 09:05 PM
lol good luck with the running game NAU
Kats too fast.

Just got home. What happened to their # 1 qb?

BNATION
September 2nd, 2021, 09:13 PM
Kats too fast.

Just got home. What happened to their # 1 qb?
Got injured on a option play looked like.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 09:19 PM
Third string QB gonna make it a game.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 09:23 PM
Well designed play by NAU. 21-7

Nickels
September 2nd, 2021, 09:25 PM
Third string QB gonna make it a game.
That was second. Third just came in for a play.

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 09:29 PM
Tibbs! Ridiculous catch!

Nickels
September 2nd, 2021, 09:32 PM
Cant be upset about a 14 point lead but not looking #1 right now.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 09:37 PM
Halftime: SHSU 21 NAU 7

Serpentor
September 2nd, 2021, 09:38 PM
Cant be upset about a 14 point lead but not looking #1 right now.

A little rust is to be expected on the season opener, especially when you're NOT playing a cupcake.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 09:53 PM
A little rust is to be expected on the season opener, especially when you're NOT playing a cupcake.

Exactly. A win is a win if we can hold on, especially on the heels of a national championship.

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2021, 09:59 PM
Exactly. A win is a win if we can hold on, especially on the heels of a national championship.

for some reason I'm not feeling it for you guys right now, but Yes its early

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 10:07 PM
21-10. Bearkats need to respond.

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 10:12 PM
Holy crap, the QB for SHSU almost killed his receiver

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 10:16 PM
Wow, was that an fugly pass.

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2021, 10:17 PM
Wow, was that an fugly pass.

looked like a punt

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 10:20 PM
This backup QB for NAU looks pretty decent

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 10:22 PM
Schmid is great...and then he is the opposite. bipolar.

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 10:25 PM
This backup QB for NAU looks pretty decentLOL, OMFG, I jinxed the guy big time. xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 10:25 PM
Touchdown! T-Will!

Wallace just came off the field. Looked like a cramp, but that would be a big loss for the Kats if it’s serious.

Nickels
September 2nd, 2021, 10:26 PM
Schmid is great...and then he is the opposite. bipolar.
Always...but behind, 4th down and less than a minute to go - he's your man.

Libertine
September 2nd, 2021, 10:27 PM
Wallace just came off the field. Looked like a cramp,...

Cramps set in faster at altitude.

https://c.tenor.com/ZiLugTiVQNgAAAAC/the-more-you-know.gif

Nickels
September 2nd, 2021, 10:33 PM
Oh ****. That hit on Ezzard looked nasty.

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 10:35 PM
Oh ****. That hit on Ezzard looked nasty.Yea, that looked bad, horrible horse collar tackle.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 10:38 PM
35-10 Sammy

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2021, 10:38 PM
Yea, that looked bad, horrible horse collar tackle.

surprised he walked off the on his own power

Nickels
September 2nd, 2021, 10:40 PM
Feeling better now. The rust and higher altitude had me a bit concerned.

Serpentor
September 2nd, 2021, 10:41 PM
35-10 Sammy

Nice run for Noah, but I'm still grumbling about what happened to Ezzard.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 10:41 PM
Great throw and catch by NAU.

Serpentor
September 2nd, 2021, 10:47 PM
Ramon Jefferson with a major run as time expires for the end of the third! Sets Bearkats up on the NAU 30.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 10:48 PM
Jefferson looks more shifty than last year.

Serpentor
September 2nd, 2021, 10:55 PM

And he takes it into the end zone a few plays later! Nice run Ramon!

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2021, 10:56 PM

big fluffy

Serpentor
September 2nd, 2021, 10:57 PM
We shall score at least one more time.

THIS, I COMMAND!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 2nd, 2021, 11:25 PM
Close enough, tip of the cap to you Bearkat fans.

katss07
September 2nd, 2021, 11:55 PM
Just hoping Ezzard is alright. That horse collar tackle was nasty and he went down awkwardly. Whole team needs to heal up.

Other than that a pretty on-brand SHSU game, especially with the current squad. Grab the lead. Carty gets cute. Other team hangs around. We out-talent them.

Sammy94
September 3rd, 2021, 08:22 AM
Eat'em Up Kats!!!

Katfan
September 3rd, 2021, 09:08 AM
Can we retire the swinging gate or whatever it’s called.

acbearkat
September 3rd, 2021, 09:19 AM
ESPN’s stats went down during the game, and haven’t come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 09:27 AM
Close enough, tip of the cap to you Bearkat fans.NAU looked a lot better than I thought they would be, they are going to win some games this year.

Daytripper
September 3rd, 2021, 09:44 AM
NAU looked a lot better than I thought they would be, they are going to win some games this year.

Agree. I don't understand why they aren't consistently good. How hard can it be to recruit kids to Flagstaff? It's a beautiful area.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 09:50 AM
Agree. I don't understand why they aren't consistently good. How hard can it be to recruit kids to Flagstaff? It's a beautiful area.Yea, it is an awesome place, not so hot but yet in the winter time you get snow and you are an hour and half from perfect weather. I would actually like to live there someday, I watch the real estate market pretty close but it is stupid expense to buy property there. Did you go to the game??

SHSU90
September 3rd, 2021, 11:17 AM
Just hoping Ezzard is alright. That horse collar tackle was nasty and he went down awkwardly. Whole team needs to heal up.

Other than that a pretty on-brand SHSU game, especially with the current squad. Grab the lead. Carty gets cute. Other team hangs around. We out-talent them.

Nice synopsis especially on the getting cute part!

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 01:52 PM
Ezzard looked human

Sammy needs him

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2021, 01:56 PM
NAU looked a lot better than I thought they would be, they are going to win some games this year.

They just do some really dumb **** at critical times that keeps them from being a much better team record wise. The on field product is usually pretty good. They seem to gamble individually quite a bit and they win a few but lose a lot of those bets and they just give away 15 yards multiple times a game when they could get off the field.

It may be changing coming up with the coaching staff but man I've watched them for several coaches now and it just seems like it is inherent with NAU.

To me, they almost always look better than what their record is. I have a lot of respect for the team whenever we play them.

Daytripper
September 3rd, 2021, 03:50 PM
Yea, it is an awesome place, not so hot but yet in the winter time you get snow and you are an hour and half from perfect weather. I would actually like to live there someday, I watch the real estate market pretty close but it is stupid expense to buy property there. Did you go to the game??

No, I wasn't able to make a Thursday trip. I have been to Flagstaff a few times though. I love it. I would love to live there too.

BNATION
September 3rd, 2021, 05:11 PM
Anyone have a update on Ezzard?

Katfan
September 3rd, 2021, 09:02 PM
I went to the game. Great experience. Their fans are great.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 09:20 PM
South Dakota state is going to win the FCS championship in fall 2021

katss07
September 3rd, 2021, 11:56 PM
It sure looks like it, I’d be happy just to see a rematch.

Daytripper
September 4th, 2021, 07:53 AM

That would not surprise me at all. I think they are on a mission.

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2021, 08:20 AM
That would not surprise me at all. I think they are on a mission.

just need to stay healthy

Chalupa Batman
September 4th, 2021, 08:37 AM
QB just need to stay healthy

FIFY

They have enough depth everywhere else they can sustain some injuries, but they need Oladuken to stay healthy.

gokat89
September 4th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Would yall stop with the "Carty bashing" ? One game in the season and already at it.. Sure he makes some questionable calls during games, but what coach doesnt. If you havent looked....

Kats finished with 332 yds rushing, 591 total yds offense. Jefferson had 107 yds on 10 carries. Chrest had 7 catches for 114 yds.

Defense stepped it up in the second half and finished with 11 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 ints and scored a td and held NAU to 88 yds rushing.

Ramon Jefferson looks like he has bulked up and still has his quickness. The freshman RB Zac Hrbacek is going to be something special and the small does of Keegan Shoemaker we got to see has me ready to see what this kid can do when he gets his shot to play full time.

Main thing from this game, Kats are 1-0 in week 1 after a tough road trip to the thin air. Ready for next Saturday.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 07:38 AM
FIFY

They have enough depth everywhere else they can sustain some injuries, but they need Oladuken to stay healthy.

No doubt

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 07:40 AM
Would yall stop with the "Carty bashing" ? One game in the season and already at it.. Sure he makes some questionable calls during games, but what coach doesnt. If you havent looked....

Kats finished with 332 yds rushing, 591 total yds offense. Jefferson had 107 yds on 10 carries. Chrest had 7 catches for 114 yds.

Defense stepped it up in the second half and finished with 11 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 ints and scored a td and held NAU to 88 yds rushing.

Ramon Jefferson looks like he has bulked up and still has his quickness. The freshman RB Zac Hrbacek is going to be something special and the small does of Keegan Shoemaker we got to see has me ready to see what this kid can do when he gets his shot to play full time.

Main thing from this game, Kats are 1-0 in week 1 after a tough road trip to the thin air. Ready for next Saturday.

If Ezzard is only going to be human, Carty can only be human

You need your lightning in a bottle to repeat

Katfan
September 5th, 2021, 08:51 AM
If Ezzard is only going to be human, Carty can only be human

You need your lightning in a bottle to repeat
Ezzard will be fine. He only plays superhuman when needed!

KPSUL
September 5th, 2021, 09:20 AM

Carty bashing was a major activity in New Hampshire, but to be fair, the offense has been less effective since his departure.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Ezzard will be fine. He only plays superhuman when needed!

JMU fans can attest to this

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Rumor coming out of Connecticut

all rumors I got nothing but UConn courting KC

Daytripper
September 5th, 2021, 07:37 PM
Rumor coming out of Connecticut

all rumors I got nothing but UConn courting KC

I doubt KC would want that kind of impossible rebuild unless they backed up the Brink's truck to pad the retirement fund.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 08:59 PM
I doubt KC would want that kind of impossible rebuild unless they backed up the Brink's truck to pad the retirement fund.

Probably a totally baseless rumor, I shouldn’t even have posted it

Daytripper
September 5th, 2021, 09:30 PM
Probably a totally baseless rumor, I shouldn’t even have posted it

We are used to this. There was a hot UTEP rumor the last time they had an opening.