PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Preseason Poll

Ivytalk
September 1st, 2021, 02:08 PM
This poll has been out for about three weeks, but I’ve been offline awhile. Forgive me if this is duplicative, and feel free to close the thread if it is. Here goes. First-place votes in parentheses.

Princeton 113 (8)
Yale 106 (6)
Dartmouth 88 (1)
Harvard 87
Penn 61
Brown 52
Columbia 44
Cornell 27

Go Green
September 1st, 2021, 03:03 PM
Believe it or not, Columbia got a first-place vote as well. :)

I have no problem with Princeton being the favorite. I'd say the same.

Dartmouth-Yale to me feels like a coin flip.

If Perry gets injured, then Brown doesn't win a game.

Columbia and Cornell seem better than where they're picked. Problem is that it's hard to slot them higher than anyone else....

Ivytalk
September 1st, 2021, 06:30 PM
Believe it or not, Columbia got a first-place vote as well. :)

Either JoltinJoe or Andrew Cuomo.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 07:08 PM
Cornell going from bad to worse. I just don't get it.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2021, 08:24 PM
I don't either. Ivy fans, can you fill in the blanks on this?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2021, 08:32 PM

My exact thoughts regarding the Robert Trent Jones Course at Cornell. Despite being New York's Ag school, their golf course is nearing the point of no return. If only it was kept at the same level as Seven Oaks at Colgate (another historically significant RTJ course)! I sense the RTJ at Cornell is microcosm for anything "athletic" related at the university. Honestly, it's quite sad....

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 08:52 PM
their golf course is nearing the point of no return

The polo fields remain in top form, though. Last I saw them, anyhow.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2021, 08:54 PM
My exact thoughts regarding the Robert Trent Jones Course at Cornell. Despite being New York's Ag school, their golf course is nearing the point of no return. If only it was kept at the same level as Seven Oaks at Colgate (another historically significant RTJ course)! I sense the RTJ at Cornell is microcosm for anything "athletic" related at the university. Honestly, it's quite sad....

Cornell's long time baseball field is being eyed for demolition. A few more bad football seasons and the questions on Schoellkopf Field are coming: "Do we really need a stadium like this any more?"

https://ithacavoice.com/2021/06/cornell-plans-relocation-for-hoy-baseball-field/

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 09:09 PM
Cornell's long time baseball field is being eyed for demolition. A few more bad football seasons and the questions on Schoellkopf Field are coming: "Do we really need a stadium like this any more?"

https://ithacavoice.com/2021/06/cornell-plans-relocation-for-hoy-baseball-field/

Schoellkopf Field is just plain ugly. Can't mince words here. Ideally Cornell ought to start from scratch the way Princeton did, but they never will.

Go Green
September 2nd, 2021, 05:23 AM

To be fair, Cornell hasn't been good for a while. But they haven't been downright awful either.

Part of the story is that they spent most of the 21st Century with coaching instability. They had a series of coaches who left for greener pastures after only a few years. The Cornell brass got frustrated and hired a young alum who they thought would be a lifer. And he has indeed been around for a while, but he's probably not the guy who can work miracles...

Another part is that while I don't have numbers, it's pretty common knowledge that Cornell's financial aid packages are near the bottom of the ivy So it's tough to win recruiting battles against (say) Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

Yet another part is that I never got the sense that Cornell as an institution cared that much about football--at least not since the early to mid 1990s (which is the last time they were relevant in the league). Other Ivies (Dartmouth, Penn, Brown) have recently made and/or are making major enhancements to their football facilities. Cornell... not so much.

Put them all together, and you got yourselves a mediocre program.

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2021, 10:29 AM
Cornell still does well in ice hockey and lacrosse. But Schoellkopf is a dump. Parking sucks, and the highly touted scenic view is vastly overrated.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 11:15 AM
the highly touted scenic view is vastly overrated.

On the hill sort of overlooking a ravine, depending on where you sit. Meh. Nothing compared to Baker (or whatever they call it now) at Columbia, which has a fantastic view of the Spuyten Duyvil.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 11:21 AM
Yet another part is that I never got the sense that Cornell as an institution cared that much about football

I think every Cornell alum I know would agree with that observation.

Sader87
September 2nd, 2021, 12:48 PM
Somewhere, Ed Marianaro sheds a tear....

Go Green
September 2nd, 2021, 01:24 PM
Somewhere, Ed Marianaro sheds a tear....

His son is actually a freshman for the Big Red.

Eddie Marinaro - 2021-22 - Football - Cornell University Athletics (cornellbigred.com) (https://cornellbigred.com/sports/football/roster/eddie-marinaro/64544)

But I don't think anyone is expecting him to be as good as Ed Sr.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2021, 01:47 PM
Yet another part is that I never got the sense that Cornell as an institution cared that much about football--at least not since the early to mid 1990s (which is the last time they were relevant in the league). Other Ivies (Dartmouth, Penn, Brown) have recently made and/or are making major enhancements to their football facilities. Cornell... not so much.

The same could be said for Columbia and Brown. To that point, what is the major enhancement discussed at Brown Stadium, other than turf?

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2021, 01:58 PM
The same could be said for Columbia and Brown. To that point, what is the major enhancement discussed at Brown Stadium, other than turf?

Transgender bathrooms?

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 02:58 PM
Transgender bathrooms?

I think Brown invented Transgender.

crusader11
September 2nd, 2021, 03:07 PM
Will Brown include the pronouns of each player as they are announced over the loudspeakers this year?

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 03:35 PM
According to the Brown Athletics website, the stadium last underwent renovation in 1988. That renovation consisted of "paint[ing] the restrooms, press box and all the graphics throughout the stadium."

So yeah, they painted the place thirty-three years ago. That's nice.

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2021, 07:24 PM
I think Brown invented Transgender.

Brown offers a major in it. Thank the legendary Ira Magaziner for ruining the curriculum there.

bulldog10jw
September 2nd, 2021, 08:31 PM
I don't either. Ivy fans, can you fill in the blanks on this?

I'm not sure why Cornell is picked so low. The last time we saw them they had given Dartmouth their only loss, crushed Columbia and had played competitively in just about every game.

Unless they lost many of the players who would have been seniors last year, I would think they would be decent.

Go Green
September 3rd, 2021, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure why Cornell is picked so low. The last time we saw them they had given Dartmouth their only loss, crushed Columbia and had played competitively in just about every game.

Unless they lost many of the players who would have been seniors last year, I would think they would be decent.

So who do you rank below them?

Go Green
September 3rd, 2021, 04:00 AM
To that point, what is the major enhancement discussed at Brown Stadium, other than turf?

They renovated their locker/meeting rooms a few years ago.

bulldog10jw
September 3rd, 2021, 10:21 AM
So who do you rank below them?

That's the problem. I think the top 5, in whatever order, are set in stone. And Brown, Columbia, and Cornell could finish in any order from 6th to 8th.