PDA

View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 1, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
August 29th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Week 1 is finally here, and there are a number of games (FCS vs. FCS) of interest for the week.

#1 Sam Houston State (WAC) @ Northern Arizona (Big Sky) - Defending champs looking to pick up where they left off.

#37 Albany (CAA) @ #4 North Dakota State (MVFC) - Battle between teams in two top-tier conferences. Can either team return to the success they had in 2019?

#5 Delaware (CAA) @ Maine (CAA) - Semi-finalist looking to start the season on the right foot.

#9 Southern Illinois (MVFC) @ #40 Southeast Missouri State (OVC) - Rematch of game the Salukis won last fall by a FG.

North Alabama (Big South) @ #15 Southeastern Louisiana (Southland) - Perhaps the most underrated team in the FCS beginning their journey as this year’s “top dog” in the Southland.

#36 Davidson (Pioneer) @ #17 Virginia Military Institute (SoCon) - The Keydets took a lot of people by surprise last spring. Now they have a target on their back. The Wildcats showed last year that San Diego may be on the downslope of their Pioneer dominance.

#23 Austin Peay (OVC) @ #18 Chattanooga (SoCon) - Battle between two AGS Preseason Top 25-ranked teams, and since Chatty cut their spring short, this is a gauge for what they might look like this season.

#27 North Carolina A&T (Big South) @ Furman (SoCon) - The Aggies’ debut as a Big South team comes against a regular SoCon title contender. Can the Paladins erase the blip that was the spring season and make a run for the SoCon title?

#30 Sac State (Big Sky) @ Dixie State (WAC) - The 2019 co-champs of the Big Sky take on the Trailblazers, who start their "transition-by-fire" 2021 schedule.

acbearkat
August 29th, 2021, 04:11 PM
The North Alabama/Southeastern Louisiana might be canceled depending on how bad the impacts from the hurricane are in Hammond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preferred Walk-On
August 29th, 2021, 04:15 PM
The North Alabama/Southeastern Louisiana might be canceled depending on how bad the impacts from the hurricane are in Hammond.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is a possibility, but given the reasons that games could be canceled this fall (and the amount of notice), I think it is probably important to put games up as if they are going to be played.

OhioHen
August 30th, 2021, 08:29 AM
I went with Austin Peay at Chattanooga because this could set the tone for which conference gets an additional playoff bid in three months.

POD Knows
August 30th, 2021, 09:19 AM
I got AP and Chatty.

TheKingpin28
August 30th, 2021, 11:50 AM
APSU vs Chatty gives us an idea of who is contending for conference titles/playoffs and who is pretending in week 1. Great OOC match-up.

acbearkat
August 30th, 2021, 11:58 AM
We'll find out soon enough if the North Alabama/Southeastern Louisiana game will be played. I'm thinking Southeastern Louisiana will not have any classes this week. Hammond was absolutely hammered last night with wind and rain, and in fact, Hammond was under a Flash Flood Emergency when I left for work this morning.

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2021, 12:21 PM
OOOOOfffff should have voted for UTC/AP. I voted Furman/NCA&T.

This year, the Socon has a really good OOC schedule.

JSUSoutherner
August 30th, 2021, 12:26 PM
I voted for AP/UTC because I'm very much looking forward to watching the Governors turn UTC into mulch.

UTC may well be the most overrated team that's currently ranked.

And that's saying a lot considering we are ranked.

walliver
August 30th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Only a handful of the games on the list are really interesting.

I went with NC A&T at Furman. A&T has a good team, and Furman will likely play much better than their spring team.

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2021, 01:13 PM
We'll find out soon enough if the North Alabama/Southeastern Louisiana game will be played. I'm thinking Southeastern Louisiana will not have any classes this week. Hammond was absolutely hammered last night with wind and rain, and in fact, Hammond was under a Flash Flood Emergency when I left for work this morning.

hope I’m wrong but that games not happening

BEAR
August 30th, 2021, 03:39 PM
I chose UNA at SLU but I wasn't thinking hurricane....:(

Change mine to Let's Go Peay vs. the Chattanooga Choo-Choo!

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2021, 06:24 PM
APSU vs Chatty gives us an idea of who is contending for conference titles/playoffs and who is pretending in week 1. Great OOC match-up.

Yea, if one can manage to stay awake, I love OOC games but this one just doesnt tickle my fancy as a lot of the other games this week, but I understand why everyone sees it as the game of the week

KPSUL
August 30th, 2021, 07:33 PM
I like Delaware @ Maine. Maine can be very tough up there in Orono, especially when they have the proverbial chip on their shoulder, which is common when they play highly ranked opponents in their 1st home game of the season.

MR. CHICKEN
August 31st, 2021, 07:37 AM
I like Delaware @ Maine. Maine can be very tough up there in Orono, especially when they have the proverbial chip on their shoulder, which is common when they play highly ranked opponents in their 1st home game of the season.

......"DUH BEARS".......WILL BRING.....MO' HEAT......DAN UH POPEYE'S.....DEEP-FRYER.........ON OURAH HENS....xeekx.....BRAWK!!

Professor
August 31st, 2021, 08:35 AM
Davidson vs VMI - Two Spring conference champs going at it in the Fall

TheKingpin28
August 31st, 2021, 09:49 AM
Yea, if one can manage to stay awake, I love OOC games but this one just doesnt tickle my fancy as a lot of the other games this week, but I understand why everyone sees it as the game of the week

After how APSU performed last season and Chatty bailing on the season halfway through, it's a great match-up IMO.

lionsrking2
August 31st, 2021, 11:17 AM
hope I’m wrong but that games not happening

The game is indeed happening. Moved it to Florence.

caribbeanhen
August 31st, 2021, 11:27 AM

Good! Hope you faired ok with the storm LK2, How long will power be out?

ST_Lawson
August 31st, 2021, 01:15 PM

Just saw that. Glad they're able to make it happen.

More info for the curious: https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/31/football-no-15-17-slus-season-opener-versus-north-alabama-moved-to-florence.aspx (https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/31/football-no-15-17-slus-season-opener-versus-north-alabama-moved-to-florence.aspx)

TheValleyRaider
August 31st, 2021, 03:11 PM
Like most, have to go with Austin Peay-Chattanooga. Always love ranked-on-ranked games, plus it likely will be an important data point come playoff time

lionsrking2
August 31st, 2021, 03:21 PM
Good! Hope you faired ok with the storm LK2, How long will power be out?

We evacuated to Birmingham at the the last minute so we're physically safe. Haven't been home yet to see damage but I think our street fared relatively ok -- that said, there's lots of damage and flooding nearby. Guessing at least a couple of weeks without power though I live near campus so could be quicker if they can get campus up and running. We'll see.

caribbeanhen
August 31st, 2021, 03:31 PM

......"DUH BEARS".......WILL BRING.....MO' HEAT......DAN UH POPEYE'S.....DEEP-FRYER.........ON OURAH HENS....xeekx.....BRAWK!!

I hope the Delaware players are not as complacent about this game as I am, if so they are likely to get beat

caribbeanhen
August 31st, 2021, 03:35 PM
We evacuated to Birmingham at the the last minute so we're physically safe. Haven't been home yet to see damage but I think our street fared relatively ok -- that said, there's lots of damage and flooding nearby. Guessing at least a couple of weeks without power though I live near campus so could be quicker if they can get campus up and running. We'll see.

well heck, your closer to the game now

Evacuating makes a lot of sense, no power is miserable

lionsrking2
August 31st, 2021, 05:29 PM
well heck, your closer to the game now

Evacuating makes a lot of sense, no power is miserable

Yeah, but I'm going home to check on house and extended family members and hopefully drive back up on Saturday. And yes, no power is miserable. Been there and done that too many times — went nearly three weeks without power during Katrina and this one is worse for our area.

Daytripper
August 31st, 2021, 06:59 PM
Yeah, but I'm going home to check on house and extended family members and hopefully drive back up on Saturday. And yes, no power is miserable. Been there and done that too many times — went nearly three weeks without power during Katrina and this one is worse for our area.

Why do we continue to live along the Gulf Coast? I'm continually wondering if it is worth it?

lionsrking2
August 31st, 2021, 07:09 PM
Why do we continue to live along the Gulf Coast? I'm continually wondering if it is worth it?

Why live anywhere?

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2021, 08:27 AM

fresh shrimp?
cajun food?
zydeco?

MR. CHICKEN
September 1st, 2021, 09:14 AM
fresh shrimp?
cajun food?
zydeco?

.........LIKE YA.........AH'LL TRADE DUH ROOF ON MAH HOUSE........FO' SOME ROCKIN' QUEEN IDA......PLATE UH CRAWFISH......AN' BOWL UH OKRA STEW......xsighx.....BRAWK!!

Preferred Walk-On
September 2nd, 2021, 11:10 AM
Bumped for anyone who still wants to vote/chime in.

Daytripper
September 2nd, 2021, 11:38 AM
fresh shrimp?
cajun food?
zydeco?

Okay. Thanks for the reminder.