Stadium

Bucknell at Sacred Heart
6:00pm
NEC Front Row

Best chance for a win: Georgetown

bonarae
August 25th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Lone win is Georgetown… how times in the PL have changed… xcoffeex

Margin of losing for the other games: more than 2 TDs each game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Green
August 26th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Lone win is Georgetown… how times in the PL have changed… xcoffeex

Well sure. But I think that you'd have to go back several decades for the PL to get even a couple of wins against that OOC lineup.

The Cats
August 26th, 2021, 08:08 AM
Colgate at Boston College
12:00pm
ACCN

Holy Cross at UConn
CBSSN

Villanova at Lehigh
ESPN+

Fordham at Nebraska
BTN

Marist at Georgetown
12:30pm
ESPN+

Lafayette at Air Force
2:00pm
Stadium

Bucknell at Sacred Heart

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2021, 09:55 AM
ACCN

Holy Cross at UConn
CBSSN

Villanova at Lehigh
ESPN+

Fordham at Nebraska
BTN

Marist at Georgetown
ESPN+

Lafayette at Air Force
Stadium

Bucknell at Sacred Heart

really tempted to Pick Holy Cross but no Hail Mary's in the opener...

Baron Sardonicus
August 27th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Nebraska has sold out 375 consecutive home games. I think that streak will end with Fordham.

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Nebraska has sold out 375 consecutive home games. I think that streak will end with Fordham.

LOTS of good seats available.

https://www.stubhub.com/nebraska-cornhuskers-football-lincoln-tickets-9-4-2021/event/104847329/?sid=86534

NY Crusader 2010
August 27th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Even after a season with no fans? You'd think these fan bases would be foaming at the mouth to flood these stadiums and tailgates, regardless of opening opponent. Not like it's the first time Nebraska has played an FCS team.

NY Crusader 2010
August 27th, 2021, 08:19 PM
Not going to put my picks in until after the Week 0 Fresno-UCONN game.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2021, 08:25 PM
Not going to put my picks in until after the Week 0 Fresno-UCONN game.

good move but you can always edit

Pards Rule
August 28th, 2021, 01:30 PM
Anyone going to Colorado Springs? I am...where is team hotel? The leopard is coming too!

Pards Rule
August 28th, 2021, 02:03 PM
What is the bigger spread Fordham at Nebraska or Lafayette at Air Force

crusader11
August 28th, 2021, 02:39 PM
UConn is baaaaaad.

Any guesses at the spread for HC - UConn next weekend? Guessing HC will be 7-10 point dogs.

NY Crusader 2010
August 28th, 2021, 03:01 PM
UCONN -5.5. My guess.

NY Crusader 2010
August 28th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Week of September 4:

ACCN

Holy Cross at UConn
CBSSN

Villanova at Lehigh
ESPN+

Fordham at Nebraska
BTN

Marist at Georgetown
ESPN+

Lafayette at Air Force
Stadium

Bucknell at Sacred Heart
6:00pm
NEC Front Row

I really want to pick Bucknell but think SHU takes care of business at home. NEC continues to beat up on the PL, for now.

Georgetown may really have to pull the train for the league when it comes to non-conference wins.

NY Crusader 2010
August 28th, 2021, 03:06 PM
What is the bigger spread Fordham at Nebraska or Lafayette at Air Force

Would expect both to be in the -35.5 range. Maybe -38.5.

Air Force never seems to get challenged against FCS opponents whereas Nebraska has historically had been prone to close calls or getting tripped up by lower-level opponents so I wouldn't be surprised if the Fordham game is closer.

Libertine
August 28th, 2021, 05:05 PM
After what I saw today, I'd pick HC against whatever the spread is vs. UConn and probably outright.

The Boogie Down
August 28th, 2021, 06:37 PM
After what I saw today, I'd pick HC against whatever the spread is vs. UConn and probably outright.

I guess UConn playing at home, and w/about 20 more scholarships, and with (what one would think) a higher calibre of recruits, should still win this one. But what if they don't? What if they get killed? Would anyone be shocked by that? And could a big HC win be the beginning of the end of UConn football? Maybe not the last nail in the coffin but one of the last nails?

bonarae
August 28th, 2021, 07:09 PM
I guess UConn playing at home, and w/about 20 more scholarships, and with (what one would think) a higher calibre of recruits, should still win this one. But what if they don't? What if they get killed? Would anyone be shocked by that? And could a big HC win be the beginning of the end of UConn football? Maybe not the last nail in the coffin but one of the last nails?

But then... Northeastern shutting out Ohio U happened during the middle of the Bobcats' bad years. The Bobcats eventually recovered after a number of years but Northeastern's was dead by decade's end. xsmhx

aceinthehole
August 28th, 2021, 07:33 PM
UConn is awful. Could open as close as 3.5.

Has a FBS team ever been a Vegas underdog to a FCS team?

bonarae
August 28th, 2021, 07:58 PM
If Holy Cross scalps, what do you think will be its winning margin? Are routs of FBS teams by FCS teams becoming rarer these days?

Libertine
August 28th, 2021, 09:21 PM
could a big HC win be the beginning of the end of UConn football? Maybe not the last nail in the coffin but one of the last nails?

It's one game. Let's not make it bigger than it is.

aceinthehole
August 29th, 2021, 11:32 AM
It's one game. Let's not make it bigger than it is.

UConn football was mortally wounded in 2011 when Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced they were leaving for ACC; one season before their Fiesta Bowl loss. Once Louisville was added to the ACC in 2013, there was no hope for a life raft. Then with the Huskies' fate doomed, they went on life support and have remained. UConn will be a low, mid-major FBS team until and unless they get to join the cartel. While they once had national potential that came with BCS (P5) membership, they are now no different than UMass, Akron, or Old Dominion.

A loss to Yale or Holy Cross this year, or CCSU next season, or Sacred Heart in 2023 would not be surprising in the least. However, a FCS loss won't really do much to change the trajectory or cause much more outrage. Arguably, a loss to Central would be more devastating, as we are the in-state "little brother" and we don't have an ounce of the history of HC or Yale.

UConn basketball losses to the likes of Wagner and Northeastern under Kevin Ollie were the impetus for major change in Storrs. Football is just too expensive and there has never been enough support for the program going back to its small college/I-AA days either. Most importantly, without a seat at the big table for football, their ceiling now equivalent to Hawaii under June Jones.

They will not drop the program for another decade or so, but they are going to starve it financially from being competitive. Independent schedule filled with guarantee games at P5 programs has sealed their fate. The Holy Cross result either way will not register at all with what is left of the fan base. It will be one week forgotten soon as the next humiliation is only a week away.

NY Crusader 2010
August 29th, 2021, 04:48 PM
UConn is awful. Could open as close as 3.5.

Has a FBS team ever been a Vegas underdog to a FCS team?

If I had to guess, it probably happens about as often as FCS teams BEAT FBS teams -- so 5-ish times/year? You figure that not EVERY FCS over FBS win is an upset. And sometimes an FCS that would be favored over an FBS might still lose. UConn will very likely be the dog when the play Yale later in the season. But I still think slight faves over HC. I'm saying -5.5.

aceinthehole
August 29th, 2021, 05:58 PM
If I had to guess, it probably happens about as often as FCS teams BEAT FBS teams -- so 5-ish times/year? You figure that not EVERY FCS over FBS win is an upset. And sometimes an FCS that would be favored over an FBS might still lose. UConn will very likely be the dog when the play Yale later in the season. But I still think slight faves over HC. I'm saying -5.5.

I'm not so sure about that. FCS teams get more than a dozen wins each year.

I bet Vegas lines for a true FCS favorite is EXTREMLY rare, despite the frequency of FCS wins outright. As you pointed out, the FCS team is always playing on the road (Army @ Yale was a rare exception since the end of the 1980s), plus the difference in schollys, etc.

I'm not suggesting it hasn't happened, but I would think the FBS team is almost always the outright favorite or a "pick 'em" (no line). I'd love to know the most recent FCS favorite and how often it has happened in the last 2 decades.

Pards Rule
August 30th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Just booked my flights to Denver, then driving to Colorado Springs and then going to Black Hills/Mt Rushmore

RichH2
August 30th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Not expecting much for PL on Saturday.
BC over Gate. Competitive for a while might be best outcome
Cross over UCONN. WTH. UCONN may have deeper squad but they are a bad team. Perhaps wishful thinking but I dont care.
Nova over Lehigh. If Lehigh can keep it to less than a 21 pt L, a plus. Key is does LU have any hope for an O.
Nebraska over Rams. Rams should score some but doubtful they can last vs Huskers
Hoyas over Marist. Comfortable W
AFA over Pards. Pards D s/b good but can it last 4 quarters.
Bucknell over SHU. A homer call. SHU is a tough hard nosed squad. Dave has tools for his O this year.

Pard4Life
August 30th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Colgate at Boston College LOL

Holy Cross at UConn UConn pulls away in second half

Villanova at Lehigh LOL

Fordham at Nebraska LMAO

Marist at Georgetown Georgetown

Lafayette at Air Force LMAO

Bucknell at Sacred Heart Sacred Heart by 21

Pard4Life
August 30th, 2021, 08:34 PM
I see the Lafayette board is still locked down. Who is the admin? Thinking of starting a new one.

SonuvaHenx2
August 30th, 2021, 08:35 PM
Boston College
Holy Cross
Villanova
Nebraska
Georgetown
Air Force
Sacred Heart

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2021, 08:43 PM
And we're back. For real this time, rather than the alleged spring season (was there a spring season? I have no memory of any such thing. No sir, no recollection at all).The initial tea leaves aren't great on the season, and given the FBS matchups here, I doubt we learn much about the bigger picture. In fact, I don't think we'll be able to draw any substantial conclusions from what we see on Saturday. That will have to wait until next weekend. But football is here, it's real, and it is spectacular.

Colgate at Boston College Colgate I really have no idea what to expect from this Colgate team. The follow-up to 2018 was not great, the spring was weird but also not good, and now there's a new coach on the sidelines. BC would have been a more surmountable task in 2018, but certainly has improved. Not an easy road to start, but it doesn't get easier from here.

Holy Cross at UConn UConn The Huskies already have a game under their belt, sort of, getting waxed by Fresno State. The Crusaders, for all their success, are definitely not Fresno State. Getting a win in Hartford would be a huge step for Holy Cross, and while I think they have a game in them, I can't bring myself to pull that trigger.

Villanova at Lehigh Villanova What a strange League we have, where both Colgate and Lehigh are sitting at the bottom of the standings. Colgate's turmoil has overshadowed the Hawks a bit, but they're certainly behind the leaders as well. Nova is coming off a playoff birth in their last full season, and they've had Lehigh's number in against some good teams. Hard to pick the home team here.

Fordham at Nebraska Nebraska Speaking of teams with a bygone history, what has happened to Nebraska? Fine, this isn't really the place to talk about it, but yikes. Fordham certainly isn't as good as Illinois, but they have pieces to make a few plays. The gap between the Patriot League and Big Ten will show (even mediocre/bad B1G), but should be an enjoyable experience for Ram fans making the trip to Lincoln (seats still available!).

Marist at Georgetown Georgetown The Hoyas were the only PL team to officially skip the spring season, and I'd be inclined to worry about that, except that Marist did so as well. Always a soft spot here for my hometown Foxes, but Georgetown is too well coached to slip against a middle-of-the-pack Pioneer team.

Lafayette at Air Force Air Force Should be a fun trip into the mountains for any Leopard fans who want. Their defense looked pretty solid in spring, and has been a brighter spot in Easton recently. That does not mean they can, or will, slow down the AF option attack. Mediocre Colgate squads got thumped in Colorado Springs, and I don't know why this Lafayette team will be that different (forgetting how they may well be better than this year's Raider vintage).

Bucknell at Sacred Heart Bucknell This feels like the only real tipping point of the weekend. The Pioneers are (and probably should be) favored at home, but I think the Bison are a team with some ability and good coaching. Going out on a limb here to open 2021, but getting one over on the NEC here would b a nice start to the League's campaign.

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2021, 09:44 PM
Chestnut will beat Bucknell by his self

Leopard Loyalist
August 31st, 2021, 12:15 PM
I see the Lafayette board is still locked down. Who is the admin? Thinking of starting a new one.

Please do!

Pards Rule
August 31st, 2021, 04:28 PM
Please do!

Second that. P4L, check with LFN. I emailed with him and asked he start his moribund board back up. P4L are you going to COS? Where is team staying as I would like to book there too. Ten years ago this weekend I was in Fargo!! Thats right! Leopard will be coming too, as always

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2021, 05:38 PM
Seems the PL may go winless in week 1 ...

Per FBSchedules.com Georgetown has canceled their season-opener against Marist that was scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 4.

NY Crusader 2010
August 31st, 2021, 05:49 PM

Per FBSchedules.com Georgetown has canceled their season-opener against Marist that was scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 4.

Is Georgetown ever going to play football again?

TheValleyRaider
August 31st, 2021, 06:20 PM
https://guhoyas.com/news/2021/8/31/georgetown-university-announces-cancellation-of-football-season-opener-against-marist.aspx

Yeah, not great, but hopefully this passes by and the Hoyas can play

crusader11
August 31st, 2021, 06:24 PM
Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but what are the Corona rules this season? If one person on a team tests positive, surely that won't cause a game to be cancelled, right?

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2021, 06:31 PM
Is Georgetown ever going to play football again?

Who knows. Lots of disappointed people, and no guidance provided as to whether this has been addressed or not.

Could the season start in one week, two weeks, the PL opener on Oct 2? We'll see. Good luck seems in short supply.

KPSUL
August 31st, 2021, 06:50 PM

I think your guess is wrong. UNH has won 6 FBS games since 2004 and we've never been favored.

crusader11
August 31st, 2021, 06:53 PM
I think it's pretty rare for an FCS team to be favored over an FBS for the simple fact that the low-level FBS teams aren't scheduling any FCS teams and writing them a check if the game is a coin flip.

caribbeanhen
August 31st, 2021, 07:16 PM
I think your guess is wrong. UNH has won 6 FBS games since 2004 and we've never been favored.

10 years ago or more the CAA used to beat FBS teams like clockwork but those days are gone and not coming back

NY Crusader 2010
August 31st, 2021, 07:25 PM
I think it's pretty rare for an FCS team to be favored over an FBS for the simple fact that the low-level FBS teams aren't scheduling any FCS teams and writing them a check if the game is a coin flip.

This combined with the fact that the vast majority of these matchups are very early in the season, particularly week 1. So if there is an unexpectedly good FCS team capable of knocking off an FBS opponent, the money line hasn't figured it out yet.

bonarae
August 31st, 2021, 07:31 PM
This combined with the fact that the vast majority of these matchups are very early in the season, particularly week 1. So if there is an unexpectedly good FCS team capable of knocking off an FBS opponent, the money line hasn't figured it out yet.

IIRC those scalps in the past few full FCS seasons were double digit spreads most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2021, 07:39 PM

Games where the 1-AA/FCS team MIGHT have been favored
JMU vs East Carolina 2017
Fordham vs Army in 2015
Villanova vs Temple in 2009
UNH and/or Villanova vs Rutgers in the early 2000s
Lehigh and/or Colgate vs Buffalo in '02/'03
Youngstown State vs MAC teams in the 1990s

NY Crusader 2010
August 31st, 2021, 08:56 PM
Fordham vs Army in 2015

Fordham was good but I definitely don't think they were the favorites against Army in '15 -- especially since that was Week 1. UNH also was definitely not the favorite against Rutgers in 2005. That was Santos' coming out party. I actually listened to that game on the radio while driving up to the Adirondacks with my dad. We got the UNH radio station pretty clear from about Glens Falls up.

Villanova/Temple -- this is probably the closest thing to an FBS/FCS "rivalry" based on competitiveness of the games and frequency in which they are played. If not 2009, there was likely another time where 'Novas stepped onto the field as a slight favorite.

I recall Stony Brook running roughshod over Army sometime between 2010 and 2012 when they head those 3 running backs. They may have been slight favorites coming into that game. Also Navy continued to schedule Delaware frequently throughout the 1980's, 1990's and early 2000's, even when Navy was really bad and Delaware a consistent I-AA stalwart. I'd guess that the Blue Hens would have been favorites at least once or twice. I know the last 2 UD wins in that series were 2003 and 2007. Both those Delaware teams were I-AA finalists (champs in 03) but Navy was also a bowl team those years so those two were probably virtual toss-ups.

I would also bet that the Duffner-coached Holy Cross teams that beat Army were favorites. 1986 and 1987 for sure.

KPSUL
August 31st, 2021, 09:01 PM
Fordham vs Army in 2015

Highly unlikely that UNH was favored vs Rutgers in 2004, the only time the two teams played. UNH had been 5-7 in 2003 and Rutgers was coming off an upset win over Michigan St the week prior.

NY Crusader 2010
August 31st, 2021, 09:02 PM
Highly unlikely that UNH was favored vs Rutgers in 2004, the only time the two teams played. UNH had been 5-7 in 2003 and Rutgers was coming off a upset win over Michigan St the week prior.

I listened to that entire game! It was absolutely an upset. I had the year wrong, I thought it was 2005.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2021, 10:05 PM
Highly unlikely that UNH was favored vs Rutgers in 2004, the only time the two teams played. UNH had been 5-7 in 2003 and Rutgers was coming off an upset win over Michigan St the week prior.

Might have been Villanova a couple of years earlier when Rutgers were arguably the worst FBS program in the country; worse than Temple! The Wildcats were a pretty steady Top 20 team around that time, beat Temple ('03) and had a legit different maker in Westbrook.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2021, 10:06 PM
I listened to that entire game! It was absolutely an upset. I had the year wrong, I thought it was 2005.

I was at the Delaware game the week before when they upset the Hens! UNH's kicker at the time, Connor McCormick, was close friends with my roommates at Temple so we decided to go down. No one gave UNH a chance in hell against the defending national champs....

NY Crusader 2010
September 1st, 2021, 05:51 AM
The most recent game where I would be very surprised if the FBS team wasn't the dog:

UMASS v. Southern Illinois => I think it was 2019 but SIU won easily. It was later in the season and UMass had the worst defense in the history of major college football.

crusader11
September 1st, 2021, 07:00 AM
UMass was actually -6 in that one. Early September game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2021, 07:22 AM
Boston College 56 Colgate 10 - Colgate loves their "FBS Body Bag" games....
Sacred Heart 27 Bucknell 17 - The Bison's offense has yet to take off under Cecchini.
Nebraska 51 Fordham 27 - I believe the Rams will keep this respectable for the better part of 60 minutes.
Air Force 41 Lafayette 13 - Early September football at 7,000 feet against a superior foe is not that much fun honestly...
Holy Cross 24 UConn 20 - UConn is one of those "perfectly awful" FBS teams that a good PL squad faces every 5 or so years.
Villanova 42 Lehigh 10 - The more I think about this game the more I believe Lehigh it severely outclassed in all phases (offense, defense, special teams, coaching). Sadly, this debacle begins what ultimately will be Lehigh's worst season in 50+ years.....

Pards Rule
September 1st, 2021, 07:23 AM

Im using air miles for flights which can be re-banked but holding off on rental car prepay and hotels for Colorado Springs. BTW team parent said the team is at COS Doubletree. Anyone know what bank is for this one? I recall hearing when I was at Fargo game ten years ago Labor Day wekend it was $125K plus free NDSU jet transport, hotel and meals. Up to 200K now? Pard for Life, I miss all the folks on the Pard board. Why are they not on here?

Fordham
September 1st, 2021, 11:04 AM
Safe travels to our PL brethren making the trips for this weekend's games. I know we're likely to go 0-fer but still pretty cool that we're playing the schools we're playing instead of opening up with schools like Slippery Rock (no knock to DII).

Will try to send updates from Lincoln. Can't wait!

Ivytalk
September 1st, 2021, 01:58 PM
BC
Sacred Heart
Nebraska ( if Scott Frost loses this one…)
Air Force
Da Cross ( in front of maybe 750 hardy Husky fans)
G’town
Nova

Go Green
September 1st, 2021, 02:02 PM
BC
Sacred Heart
Nebraska ( if Scott Frost loses this one…)
Air Force
Da Cross ( in front of maybe 750 hardy Husky fans)
G’town
Nova

Georgetown-Marist is canceled.

Ivytalk
September 1st, 2021, 02:10 PM
Georgetown-Marist is canceled.

Thank you. Shows you how closely I’ve been paying attention.xembarrassedx

crusader11
September 1st, 2021, 03:28 PM
Because it's relevant to the discussion, guessing SDSU will be favored against Colorado State.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2021, 05:08 PM
Because it's relevant to the discussion, guessing SDSU will be favored against Colorado State.

Not even

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 05:42 PM

Indeed. I used to have the admin's email but it doesn't seem to work now. I was hoping to get the scuttlebutt on the new Emperor of Pardsville, Nicole Hurd, whomsoever she might be.

EDIT - It appears that the forum's admin, "The Maroon," was last active on the site on August 23 at 10:50 am.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 05:54 PM
PL and other FCS odds would be here:

https://www.sportsbookreview.com/betting-odds/college-football/

but the lines still aren't up.

EDIT - I found one line: Air Force (-42) vs Lafayette. Heh.

AND ANOTHER: Nebraska (-42.5) vs Fordham o/u 55.5

Okay, they're starting to come up in various places:

Boston College (-50.5) vs Colgate o/u 52.5

UConn (-2.5) vs Holy Cross

NY Crusader 2010
September 1st, 2021, 06:03 PM
Not even

If they had the QB back, maybe. But he's out for the season.

Bill
September 1st, 2021, 07:10 PM
Indeed. I used to have the admin's email but it doesn't seem to work now. I was hoping to get the scuttlebutt on the new Emperor of Pardsville, Nicole Hurd, whomsoever she might be.

Bogie's back? Fantastic. Even if you root for the wrong team, it's still good to see you here.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 07:19 PM
Bogie's back? Fantastic. Even if you root for the wrong team, it's still good to see you here.

Well, in many ways I never left, sir. I’ve always provided a quality meal at an affordable price.

crusader11
September 1st, 2021, 07:28 PM
That Colgate - BC line can’t be right.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 07:55 PM
That Colgate - BC line can’t be right.

I agree. Tomorrow or Friday we'll see some more complete lines. For now it's the only one I could find.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2021, 08:11 PM
If they had the QB back, maybe. But he's out for the season.

exactly

Franks Tanks
September 1st, 2021, 09:22 PM

EDIT - It appears that the forum's admin, "The Maroon," was last active on the site on August 23 at 10:50 am.

Agree, we need a Lafayette board again.

One item of note, our AD is now reporting directly to President Hurd, removing the Dean of Campus life completely from the equation. A much needed and welcome change by the new President.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2021, 09:30 PM

I think the admin's name is Aaron, but i cannot recall his last name. i hope somebody knows how to reach him.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2021, 07:09 AM

One item of note, our AD is now reporting directly to President Hurd, removing the Dean of Campus life completely from the equation. A much needed and welcome change by the new President.

Stuff happening already. On Aug 31 I got an email from longtime admissions dept employee announcing his retirement...that day!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2021, 10:28 AM
I found this last night, did Holy Cross really beat Princeton on last play kickoff return (with a lateral) in 1988? It's hard to tell because the audio and video are not in sync...

https://youtu.be/bCLb_jRSiR4?t=784

crusader11
September 2nd, 2021, 10:38 AM
Owl, better video here with added context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEA1hX1I7V0

Great call from Bob ("Mr. Entertainment" and "The Voice and Spirit of Holy Cross") Fouracre.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 10:56 AM
Stuff happening already. On Aug 31 I got an email from longtime admissions dept employee announcing his retirement...that day!

I'm not sure what to make of Hurd. Not much to her CV; not sure if she wants to maintain traditions or fundamentally change the institution (her background seems to point to the latter).

Also, What's up with Byerly going to Carleton College? My guess is that she'd seen enough of the politics of DI athletics, but that's just me.

Fordham
September 2nd, 2021, 11:48 AM
Owl, better video here with added context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEA1hX1I7V0

Great call from Bob ("Mr. Entertainment" and "The Voice and Spirit of Holy Cross") Fouracre.
OMG. Amazing

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 12:19 PM
OMG. Amazing

Was that a forward lateral, perhaps?

Sader87
September 2nd, 2021, 12:43 PM
Was that a forward lateral, perhaps?

No, was there and I had a perfect angle on the lateral :)

It's very close, my bias says it was clean...shocked we weren't penalized at Princestone... :)

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 05:40 PM
UPDATE (via 5Dimes; SportsBet.com):

Boston College (-50.5) vs Colgate

Nebraska (-42.5) vs Fordham

Villanova (-12.5) at Lehigh

Air Force (-44) vs Lafayette

Sacred Heart (-10.5) vs Bucknell

Georgetown (-12.5) vs Marist - CANCELLED

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2021, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure what to make of Hurd. Not much to her CV; not sure if she wants to maintain traditions or fundamentally change the institution (her background seems to point to the latter).

Also, What's up with Byerly going to Carleton College? My guess is that she'd seen enough of the politics of DI athletics, but that's just me.
Bogie - thats a D3 school so maybe not as much?

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 05:50 PM
SPECIAL BONUS LINES -

Virginia (-33.5) vs William & Mary

TCU (-49.5) vs Duquesne

Richmond (-28.5) vs Howard

Wofford (-6.5) at Elon

North Dakota State (-25.5) vs Albany

Rhode Island (-14) vs Bryant

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2021, 05:51 PM
UPDATE (via 5Dimes; SportsBet.com):

Boston College (-50.5) vs Colgate

Nebraska (-42.5) vs Fordham

Villanova (-12.5) at Lehigh

Air Force (-44) vs Lafayette

Sacred Heart (-10.5) vs Bucknell

Georgetown (-12.5) vs Marist - CANCELLED

Whats the over/under for BC/Colgate. It was 50.2 > safety by Colgate?

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 05:52 PM
Bogie - thats a D3 school so maybe not as much?

Very much a DIII school. Cross-town rivalry with St. Olaf is the main event of the year.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2021, 05:57 PM
Whats the over/under for BC/Colgate. It was 50.2 > safety by Colgate?

I'm still waiting on a full slate of over/under for FCS games. 50.2 was a typo, methinks.

Leopard Loyalist
September 2nd, 2021, 08:20 PM

Our new president gives me hope for the future of Lafayette athletics. The reporting change for the AD is significant. Also significant is this quote from her, right after her appointment was announced: "My husband, Bill, is very passionate about supporting student-athletes. He worked in the athletics department at Georgetown when we first met, and he was very involved with the athletics program at the University of Virginia."

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2021, 04:19 AM
"My husband, Bill, is very passionate about supporting student-athletes."

I imagine at some point we'll discover if Hurd shares her husband's passion.

IslandPard
September 3rd, 2021, 09:45 AM
Im using air miles for flights which can be re-banked but holding off on rental car prepay and hotels for Colorado Springs. BTW team parent said the team is at COS Doubletree. Anyone know what bank is for this one? I recall hearing when I was at Fargo game ten years ago Labor Day wekend it was $125K plus free NDSU jet transport, hotel and meals. Up to 200K now? Pard for Life, I miss all the folks on the Pard board. Why are they not on here?

I’m here…29 from the Laf board. Just hanging out in the back of the room waiting to talk some fball. I’m not into the weekly pick ‘em. I let the Maroon know someone may be interested in taking over the board. Haven’t heard back. Based on past convos I think he’s more interested in shutting down the negative talk about LC and the culture.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2021, 02:22 PM
I just had a nice talk with Ryan Fannon (at my club golfing today) who is the voice of Villanova basketball and football. He believes the Wildcats are going to be VERY good if they're able to shore up the defense. Gave me a 41-24 prediction for their game against Penn State....

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2021, 03:00 PM
I let the Maroon know someone may be interested in taking over the board. Haven’t heard back.

A prudent outcome for all would be the ability not to lose member registrations and existing threads/posts. Some classics ought to endure.

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2021, 03:13 PM
As of Friday afternoon, Pards are only a 41 point dog at Air Force. Imagine that! Colgate is +45.5; Holy Cross is +3; Fordham is +43.5.

I'd still take Colgate and the points and I still think HC will win outright.

The Boogie Down
September 3rd, 2021, 06:03 PM
Fordham vs Army in 2015

If I remember correctly Fordham (w/Mike Nebrich under center) was about a 2 to 3 point favorite against Army in 2014 but lost 31-42. The very next year, and after losing something like 15-16 starters, Fordham returned to West Point but this time as 7 to 8 point dog. Kevin Anderson made his very first start since HS and fumbled away his very first snap. Things got better after that tho and the Rams won 37-35.

bulldog10jw
September 3rd, 2021, 06:33 PM
As of Friday afternoon, Pards are only a 41 point dog at Air Force. Imagine that! Colgate is +45.5; Holy Cross is +3; Fordham is +43.5.

The way Nebraska has been blasted by the press after their loss to Illinois, they will be looking to really hammer Fordham, IMO

RichH2
September 3rd, 2021, 09:12 PM
A prudent outcome for all would be the ability not to lose member registrations and existing threads/posts. Some classics ought to endure.

Agreed. If Aaron agrees a new moderator could run the board. It really would be nice to have a live Pard board again.

Leopard Loyalist
September 3rd, 2021, 11:35 PM
Lots of easy picks this week. I am not at all confident about picking HC or Sacred Heart, however.

Holy Cross at UConn

Villanova at Lehigh

Fordham at Nebraska

Lafayette at Air Force

Bucknell at Sacred Heart

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 09:58 AM
Boston College
UConn
Villanova
Nebraska
Marist
Air Force
Sacred Heart

Hmm.

IslandPard
September 4th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Agreed. If Aaron agrees a new moderator could run the board. It really would be nice to have a live Pard board again.

Yup. Still no word form him. Hopefully he reaches out to one you. I miss the inside info from parents.

Who's going to be under center today??

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Colgate 0
Boston College 7
End 1st

Eagles moved easily on their first drive to score, but Colgate has tightened up since then. Field definitely tilted in BC's favor, but the Raiders are hanging tough and stringing together a few plays.

Long way to go still, but nice to see them not getting rolled as was expected.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Villanova 6 Lehigh 0 End of 1Q

Lehigh offense as bad as advertised. Defense is hanging in but still struggling to get off the field....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 11:49 AM
TD 'Nova! They're just shredding the Lehigh defense now...

13-0 'Cats 11:02 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 12:04 PM
'Nova TD! Cats dominating in all phases...

20-0 3:57 2Q

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 12:21 PM

They’re all asshats!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Lehigh converts a late INT into a FG...

'Nova 20-3 Half

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Colgate 0
Boston College 27
Halftime

Some big plays from the Eagles broke this one open a bit. We got oddly conservative on a 4th and short when it was 14-0. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but a bit surprised we didn't take a shot at that point.

We'll see how long BC goes with its #1s. Hopefully we can get on the board in the second half

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Rutgers 26 Temple 7 Half

This is going to be a looong year for Lehigh and Temple. Thankfully, I've been well prepared since last fall...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Villanova cashes in on Lehigh's 3rd INT of the game with a TD!

Villanova 27-3 9:30 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Another Lehigh turnovers results in 7 more for the 'Cats! The rout is on at Goodman! Lehigh is every bit as bad as I figured and 'Nova looks like a legit CAA contender!

34-3 7:12 3Q

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Temple has not looked this awful since they had that coach from Penn.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Temple has not looked this awful since they had that coach from Penn.

They were awful under Dickerson and Wallace. Wallace was actually a great coach but simply couldn't overcome Temple's institutional dysfunction.

IslandPard
September 4th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Leopards look terrible in the first series. Penalty, sack, tackle for a loss in the backfield.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:15 PM
Yet another Lehigh turnover (after a terrible snap) results in more 'Nova points. This time a FG

'Nova 37 Lehigh 3 2:58 3Q

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 01:17 PM
I always felt sorry for the late D2 champion Wallace. A great guy and he loved the game but he was not ready for the North Broad bureaucracy.

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Colgate 0
Boston College 30
End 3rd

Decent quarter defensively, big plays still hurting, but they were able to stop the Eagles in the red zone. Offense has been able to move a bit, but ended the quarter with their best drive of the day finishing with an end zone interception. BC has kept the starters in to this point, we'll see what they come out with for the final quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:24 PM
TD CATS! Absolute domination. I really believe we are looking at the worst Lehigh team in my lifetime. They are completely incompetent in all aspects. Poor decision making, poor tackling, out of position, clueless coaches just the perfect storm of awful....

'Nova 44-3 0:35 3Q

Richmond and Princeton up next! Can't wait to see the improvement....

Sader87
September 4th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Gilmore is horrendous..you're doomed with him

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:29 PM

What's sad is this has played out almost exactly how I figured. Go back and read all my posts! I'm tired of the excuses. I've been telling my fellow Lehigh fans for the last 3 years but I tend to think they thought I was speaking in hyperbole. No! I was speaking in reality! I know Lehigh football, I know this program, I know this league and I know these coaches. I've done my homework. Lehigh football is in a bad spot unless Sterrett admits his egregious decision and cuts bait sooner rather than later....

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2021, 01:29 PM

The two warmest seats in the PL are 15 miles apart.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Why they picked him remains a mystery.
Meanwhile every season for years starts with the comment, Lehigh has a terrible offense.
again.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 01:36 PM
Pards just do not have the speed to stop the Air Force option. And they're visibly sucking wind at 6,600 feet.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 01:36 PM
The two warmest seats in the PL are 15 miles apart.

I disagree. The fans have not taken to Garrett but this is Lafayette.
He beat Lehigh twice and in Easton, even losers can get paid for decades (except in women’s basketball).

Frank lost to Lehigh and stayed.
garrett may well go but it will be on his own.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Why they picked him remains a mystery.
Meanwhile every season for years starts with the comment, Lehigh has a terrible offense.
again.

This is only year 3 of terrible offense. From 2014-2018 it was varying degrees of terrible defense. 2016 wasn't too bad minus the playoff UNH game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:42 PM
More points for 'Nova...a FG!

47-3 9:08 3Q

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Lafayette has two rushing yards. Some things never change.
This game is to be fair not meaningful as long as nobody gets hurt.
I hope the team takes something from it.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Wir Sind Alle Harschhute!

Colgate TD
September 4th, 2021, 01:49 PM
What's the final score of the BC-Gate game?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 01:49 PM
Lehigh with their 6th turnover today!

Can 'Nova "hang half-a hundred"?

IslandPard
September 4th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Pards just do not have the speed to stop the Air Force option. And they're visibly sucking wind at 6,600 feet.

Missed assignments on the pitchman both times. One positive is we're not getting pushed around upfront on either side of the ball. But the defense will eventually get worn down. Garrett is QB-ing by committee...again. Oline is giving the QBs have plenty of time to do nothing! Each one looks more confused than the next.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Garrett is spinning the QB carousel at Air Force. But my vote is for Rent Monte.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Year Five. Lots of QBs have come and gone and a lot of scholarship years have been spent and it’s QB by committee.
Maybe because of the quality of the opponent?

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 01:55 PM
LAFAYETTE TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

IslandPard
September 4th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Garrett is a genius!!!! xbeerchugx

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2021, 02:01 PM
What's the final score of the BC-Gate game?
51-0, late 4th

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Villanova 47 Lehigh 3 Final

Lehigh was every bit as bad, inept as I anticipated. Really no surprises with them given the current coaching staff. I'm glad Richmond and Princeton are up next because it gives them no where to hide. Either get better or keep getting embarrassed. Hopefully at the end of the season the right decisions will be made by Sterrett based on how things unfold...

Villanova is very good! I think they can keep it respectable against Penn State and make a run, along with Delaware, at JMU to take over the CAA throne...

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Colgate 0
Boston College 51
Final

No fun to get blown out, but I did see some things that made me feel a bit better about the coming season. BC is easily the best team we'll see this season, and we had a few good moments against their first-teamers. A few guys got some knocks, so hopefully those don't affect them and the team too much going forward. Home opener against Stony Brook next week, let's see what improvements come over the next week.

KPSUL
September 4th, 2021, 02:08 PM
Holy Cross looking real solid; Colgate, Fordham and Lehigh lose by a combined 150 to 10.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 02:08 PM
We're going to have to vote on the PL "Bishop Sycamore" award after this weekend.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Holy Cross looking real solid; Colgate, Fordham and Lehigh lose by a combined 150 to 10.

Lehigh is horrific. I know I'm going to wear that out but in my nearly 40 years this is the basement.

Fordham will be good so long as they survive their OOC schedule. I'm interested to see how Bucknell fairs against Sacred Heart. A win there would be "nice"...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Rutgers 61 Temple 14 Final

Bad hires can destroy a program....

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 02:33 PM

Today Rutgers has reason to be ashamed of its Middle Three (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Three_Conference) conference mates.

KPSUL
September 4th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Lehigh is horrific. I know I'm going to wear that out but in my nearly 40 years this is the basement.

Fordham will be good so long as they survive their OOC schedule. I'm interested to see how Bucknell fairs against Sacred Heart. A win there would be "nice"...

Yeah, you really can't judge an FCS team by a big loss to a P5 FBS team.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 02:39 PM
51-0. I admire your positive future spin.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 02:43 PM

Bad hires can destroy a program....

They just wanted somebody who would stay. Plus the Owls may have made more money in coach buyouts than they ever did with actual football.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Pards score another one. They're losing, but they're certainly not being humiliated.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Lafayette is getting it done through the air. Total yards 207 versus 257 for the federal footballers. Really not bad.

IslandPard
September 4th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Angelos and Montie can get it done! Surprised Ah-Shaun hasn't gotten in. And, Olmstead, the ND transfer is not playing. Either he's hurt or our Oline is that good.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Pards clearly are sucking wind while Falcons are stepping sprightly. Fourth quarter is going to be a real problem.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Scoring twice in this game was my break-even point. From here in out, it’s extra.
My congratulations and respect to those who went. It’s a great town, an odd combination of traditional values and pot smokers.
Plus the springs nearby are worth sampling and Garden of the Gods is a great city park.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 03:16 PM
William and Mary’s QB Mathis May still be hurt. Thus we may get a chance to see Cole Northup tonight against Virginia. He is their only QB with game experience I think
and some of it came against W&M.

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2021, 03:22 PM
The Stadium announcers congratulating Lafayette for coming "from Easton Mass." all the way to Colorado Springs. Ugh.

IslandPard
September 4th, 2021, 03:25 PM
The Stadium announcers congratulating Lafayette for coming "from Easton Mass." all the way to Colorado Springs. Ugh.

That was after he called us Lehigh last Q.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 03:31 PM

I still think we're entitled to a penalty flag every time an announcer says "LAH-fay-ette"

Sader87
September 4th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Ummm...HC beat UConn....a little PL pride please lol

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 03:46 PM

Indeed! As impressive a win as any in Patriot League history. xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 03:48 PM

This win isn't that surprising. I took it as, if HC wanted to solidify themselves as a Top 20 team this is a game they either needed to lose in a back and forth affair or simply win it. This was really the Crusaders first signature win under Chesney. Holy Cross is now officially on the national radar. The Monmouth and Yale games will help to determine their potential ceiling nationally. Are they Top 20 good (Lehigh '16, Fordham '15 etc) or are the Crusaders Top 10 home playoff game/bye (no more?) good?

I still thought Fordham hung in pretty well against Nebraska all things considered. They have athletes who can test HC. Lafayette continues to have a pulse and Bucknell can make a pretty good statement against a respectable SHU program.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Yes! Great game for HC, matched up very well across the board.
Someday perhaps UMass and UConn will wake up and return to FCS.
Monmouth is very good. How good, we can see tonight against MTSU.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 04:03 PM
Air Force 35, Lafayette 14 FINAL.

But it was still a game in the 4th. Not too bad a showing for the Pards, all things considered. And they easily beat the spread.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 04:05 PM

But it was still a game in the 4th. Not too bad a showing for the Pards, all things considered.

That's a REALLY good showing at 7000 feet! No joke! Seriously impressed! Air Force is likely a 7-5/8-4 FBS program. If the 'Pards can keep pushing forward they'll be in the mix...

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2021, 04:56 PM
51-0. I admire your positive future spin.

There's not a lot you can learn from an FBS game like this, especially P5. It's an experience for the players and a nice check for the athletics department, but otherwise hard to get any real lessons.

Also, we actually did show more of a pulse offensively and defensively at times today than in either of the spring games, which is a positive. I don't think Colgate contends for the title, but they don't finish last either

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 04:58 PM
There's not a lot you can learn from an FBS game like this, especially P5. It's an experience for the players and a nice check for the athletics department, but otherwise hard to get any real lessons.

Also, we actually did show more of a pulse offensively and defensively at times today than in either of the spring games, which is a positive. I don't think Colgate contends for the title, but they don't finish last either

Reasonable chance that will be settled September 25th in Hamilton. Although, Georgetown figures to factor into the race to the basement if they actually play....

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 05:57 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theuconnblog.com/platform/amp/2021/8/9/22616073/uconn-huskies-football-opponent-preview-holy-cross-crusaders

Note: “While the Holy Cross matchup will only be UConn (https://www.theuconnblog.com/)’s second game of the season, a loss would be borderline catastrophic, especially given head coach Randy Edsall’s lack of success so far in his second stint as Huskies’ head coach and the program’s 2-10 finish in 2019.”

KPSUL
September 4th, 2021, 06:54 PM

I thought you guys had moved to the CAA ?

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 07:09 PM
There’s an excellent chance Cole Northrup will take the field against UVA tonight. This game is getting ugly fast.
Keegan has a tougher road to playing time this year at SHSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 07:15 PM
Sacred Heart 14 Bucknell 0 Start of 4Q

The Bison still can't find an offense under Cecchini....

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2021, 07:48 PM
All games now final. Bucknell lost their 11th consecutive non-conference game in the evening finale.

Air Force 35, Lafayette 14
Boston College 51, Colgate 0
Holy Cross 38, Connecticut 28
Nebraska 52, Fordham 7
Sacred Heart 21, Bucknell 0
Villanova 47, Lehigh 3

Some hopeful signs, but then there's this: HC scored 38 points. The other five schools combined for 24.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 08:03 PM
I thought you guys had moved to the CAA ?

They coulda been in the Big East, you know . . .

Doc QB
September 4th, 2021, 08:09 PM
All games now final. Bucknell lost their 11th consecutive non-conference game in the evening finale.

Air Force 35, Lafayette 14
Boston College 51, Colgate 0
Holy Cross 38, Connecticut 28
Nebraska 52, Fordham 7
Sacred Heart 21, Bucknell 0
Villanova 47, Lehigh 3

Some hopeful signs, but then there's this: HC scored 38 points. The other five schools combined for 24.

HC got it done.
Gtown got nothing.
Bucknell got what I expected.
Leopards got respectable.
Fordham and Colgate at least got a few hundred grand to get torched.
Lehigh just got embarrassed.

Can’t blame the pandemic. Everyone had those challenges.
Not what I expected with scholarships.
I was at LU-Nova. On field after game too. Wildcats still looked bigger, stronger, faster, and just more athletic across the board. They always do, every year, regardless of our recruiting prognostications, HS credentials, perceived improved talent level, stars, etc.
Frustrating.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 08:50 PM
“Not what I expected with scholarships.”

Exactly. Times 1,000.

Digby
September 4th, 2021, 09:34 PM
The Bucknell stats are awful. 3:1 deficit in yards.
The Bison didn’t just lose they were outclassed.
The race to the bottom is off and running!

Sader87
September 4th, 2021, 09:55 PM
HC has definitely gotten better with scholarships. Why are we (and possibly Fordham) the outliers in the PL in this regard?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 10:04 PM
HC has definitely gotten better with scholarships. Why are we (and possibly Fordham) the outliers in the PL in this regard?

C'mon...you know the answer...lol...everyone knows the answer. It's coaching....

Holy Cross literally fired a loser, Gilmore, and hired and winner, Chesney. It's not complicated.

Sader87
September 4th, 2021, 10:19 PM
C'mon...you know the answer...lol...everyone knows the answer. It's coaching....

Holy Cross literally fired a loser, Gilmore, and hired and winner, Chesney. It's not complicated.

HC is definitely more talented across the board than it was in the non-scholarship (1992-2015) Patriot League era...it's not just coaching.

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2021, 10:50 PM
Chestnut will beat Bucknell by his self

Julius Chestnut ran for 170 yards on 26 carries and scored a touchdown

just in case anyone is not familiar with this RB yet

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Honestly, I was impressed with the Pards today. Thought we were going to get humiliated a-la Army 2016. I think we found our QB(s?). Impressed with Angelos. Defense had their moments. Seemed to be poised and fought the entire game. Have not been a fan of Garrett but he gets big plus for today - team looked prepared.

Well done, Catholic fundamentalist warriors.

Loving the Lehigh result. Cue LFN "bUt LeHiGH loSInG mEaNs ThE pAtRioT lEaGuE iS nO gOOd"

Georgetown - is it really COVID? Or is football doomed on the Potomac?

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2021, 11:01 PM

Chuck Bachman? He's the only long-timer there I think.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2021, 11:05 PM
Honestly, I was impressed with the Pards today. Thought we were going to get humiliated a-la Army 2016. I think we found our QB(s?). Impressed with Angelos. Defense had their moments. Seemed to be poised and fought the entire game. Have not been a fan of Garrett but he gets big plus for today - team looked prepared.

Well done, Catholic fundamentalist warriors.

Loving the Lehigh result. Cue LFN "bUt LeHiGH loSInG mEaNs ThE pAtRioT lEaGuE iS nO gOOd"

Georgetown - is it really COVID? Or is football doomed on the Potomac?

Lafayette's performance has flown under the radar but it shouldn't. That effort for 60 minutes PERHAPS could have beaten UConn? I consider Air Force to be a very respectable, competent FBS team/program. Playing at Falcon Stadium, while cool, is brutally tough for teams not use to competing at elevation.

It's time for LFN to take off the blinders. Lehigh football is in the dumps. He keeps predicting scores with his heart rather than the data in front of him....

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2021, 11:08 PM

Yes, agree. Much chin stroking thinking of Hurd's selection but it seems she has a strong ability to make connections with very well placed donors. However I think it is generally positive. How long have we wanted the change in reporting structure? We have it because we selected someone from a real DI institution. Why can't we be like a UVA? Strong academics and athletics (except football - wait what am I trying to say here again?)

Byerly is from Middlebury so the small liberal arts college seems to be her place. Overall I think her tenure was positive. She brought in our AD - I think we collectively laughed at the Athletics strategic plan but it was important. It attempted to establish accountability and was not afraid to admit that 'we suck'.

See this is why we need our Board... doubt Sader87 or Hoya wants to read about Lafayette's president.

bonarae
September 5th, 2021, 02:46 AM
Meanwhile... Fordham LB ties a Division I record with 30 tackles against the Huskers.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/fordham-lb-ryan-greenhagen-registers-30-tackles-vs-nebraska-tying-ncaa-division-i-record/

Colgate TD
September 5th, 2021, 10:08 AM
It looks like 234 points were scored against Patriot League teams yesterday. Is this an all-time record for futility? Only HC kept us from being shutout.

KPSUL
September 5th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Julius Chestnut ran for 170 yards on 26 carries and scored a touchdown

just in case anyone is not familiar with this RB yet

Only one TD? Not impressed.

KPSUL
September 5th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Meanwhile... Fordham LB ties a Division I record with 30 tackles against the Huskers.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/fordham-lb-ryan-greenhagen-registers-30-tackles-vs-nebraska-tying-ncaa-division-i-record/

Apparently the Fordham DL gave him a lot of opportunities.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Only one TD? Not impressed.

only needed one

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Apparently the Fordham DL gave him a lot of opportunities.

And first team all conference line backer took advantage of everyone of them

Tribe4SF
September 5th, 2021, 11:55 AM
William and Mary’s QB Mathis May still be hurt. Thus we may get a chance to see Cole Northup tonight against Virginia. He is their only QB with game experience I think
and some of it came against W&M.

Cole performed well in camp but is 4th on the depth chart and did not get time at UVA even with Hollis Mathis out. Our true freshman Darius Wilson earned the start and handled himself pretty well against a very good defense despite missing our starting left tackle and two of our top running backs. Mathis likely questionable again this week so you probably see Wilson in Williamsburg.

Digby
September 5th, 2021, 02:51 PM
I watched some of the game. Wilson handled things well, lots of pressure and he kept cool.

Digby
September 5th, 2021, 03:00 PM
It looks like 234 points were scored against Patriot League teams yesterday. Is this an all-time record for futility? Only HC kept us from being shutout.

Aug. 31, 2019: 246 points.

St. Francis PA 14, Lehigh 13
Davidson 27, Georgetown 20
Temple 56, Bucknell 12 (hey they scored!)
Air Force 48, Colgate 7 (tough start that year)
Navy 45, Holy Cross 7
William & Mary 30, Lafayette 17
Central Connecticut 26, Fordham 23

*Canceled Georgetown game may have kept us from the record yesterday.

Digby
September 5th, 2021, 06:11 PM
More weirdness. Edsall announced his retirement at season’s end.

KPSUL
September 5th, 2021, 09:59 PM
And first team all conference line backer took advantage of everyone of them

Quite an accomplishments! But he couldn't have done it without a lot of "help?" from the other Fordham defenders.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2021, 10:36 AM
Am I the only one who believes Lafayette can make it interesting (dare I say win?) against W&M in week 2?

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Am I the only one who believes Lafayette can make it interesting (dare I say win?) against W&M in week 2?

no

Bogus Megapardus
September 6th, 2021, 01:37 PM

W&M will be looking for some solace following the UVa game. They're going to take it out on the Pards (and who's to blame them)? Pards have to avoid thinking they're hot ***** after hanging with Air Force for 3 1/2 quarters.

Bogus Megapardus
September 6th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Also, Leopard fans - I'm still hoping somebody can get a line on Aaron from the Lafayette message board. Lafayette just shut out Big 10 Indiana in field hockey, 4-0, and we have no place to talk about it.

It's becoming an emergency!

KPSUL
September 6th, 2021, 02:02 PM

Not unreasonable at all.

Sitting Bull
September 6th, 2021, 02:05 PM
I think its tempting. W&M has yet to score a point.

The comparisons against this past week weren’t as convincing as I first thought. AFA was up 28-7 at HT, the final score made it sound closer. W&M was in it through the 1H, the bottom really fell out after we had FG attempt #2 blocked midway through Q3 down 0-17.

Still, I expect a close and tight game. I will feel better if any combination of Yoder, Mathis or Imoh are back in the line-up.

IslandPard
September 6th, 2021, 06:28 PM

Nope!! The only thing that will stop the Pards this year is Garrett's stubbornness and his 2-3 headed QB monster. The front 7 on D is the probably the best in the league. And the Oline did a great job last week...considering.

Libertine
September 6th, 2021, 07:43 PM
Change of plans in Storrs. UConn's Randy Edsall is now retiring effective immediately.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32161620/uconn-says-football-coach-randy-edsall-step-immediately-season-end

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2021, 09:19 PM
Change of plans in Storrs. UConn's Randy Edsall is now retiring effective immediately.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32161620/uconn-says-football-coach-randy-edsall-step-immediately-season-end

who is the new guy?

ngineer
September 6th, 2021, 10:49 PM
I was at the debacle in Goodman. I felt our D played hard but was just on the field way too long. We have some talent, but we just don't have any consistency. Six turnovers will kill any momentum..especially just before the half when we had a nice drive going only to throw an INT that was horribly thrown. A TD at that point would have had us in a 10 point deficit instead of 20-3. The QB shows a decent arm, but same issues as last year in decision making. Some good looking freshmen (transfer from Michigan ran very hard). The DL was outweighed about 50 lb. a man. Not enamored with the offense play calling, and was curious as to why they stuck with Wilkenson as long as they did. We have 5 the QB's . This was an opportunity to see what they could do under pressure. Maybe they wanted to see how Wilkenson handled the adversity and if he could bring them back. No. They don't need a star at QB, they need competence. Unfortunately, the OL is thin. Starting center was out and they lost a tackle along the way. We have some very good backs, but we need the OL to improve. 'Nova is a very quality team and should challenge for the CAA. 70% of the Lehigh team is sophs and frosh, so this will be an education. With a very tough schedule up front, hopefully, we will have learned some good things come October. Most coaches say that the key to any season is improvement from the first to second game. Richmond will be almost as good as 'Nova and Princeton, thereafter, is picked to win the IL and were loaded before the cancelled season. The hope there is that it will be their first game and perhaps we can take advantage some mistakes, like 'nova did with us. The key to Lehigh's season will be on 9/25 up in Hamilton. If we can win that one, regardless of how good 'gate is this year, it can yield some confidence for the rest of the season. Before Saturday, my sense was that we would win 3-4 games. I still feel that I where we're headed considering the schedule. I do agree that right now, this is the worst Lehigh team I have ever seen over the past three seasons (and I've seen 52 years worth!). Luckily, I did not get to see the 'Desert Years' from 1963-69! One abysmal loss does not a season make; but, there had better be improvement next week. I doesn't have to be an upset win, but I believe we need to be in the game. I had predicted 'nova to beat us 38-14 before last Saturday. 6 turnovers exacerbated the score. Protecting the football must be the #1 priority (yes, there are other areas) to give the D a break.

The Boogie Down
September 7th, 2021, 01:31 AM

Big news! Guess it wasn't just one game after all.

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2021, 11:32 AM
I’m here…29 from the Laf board. Just hanging out in the back of the room waiting to talk some fball. I’m not into the weekly pick ‘em. I let the Maroon know someone may be interested in taking over the board. Haven’t heard back. Based on past convos I think he’s more interested in shutting down the negative talk about LC and the culture.
Thanks 29! I remember you. Sorry was on a 9 day Western mountain vaca after going to Air Force game. We need a board!

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Scoring twice in this game was my break-even point. From here in out, it’s extra.
My congratulations and respect to those who went. It’s a great town, an odd combination of traditional values and pot smokers.
Plus the springs nearby are worth sampling and Garden of the Gods is a great city park.

Loved it. Came in Friday afternoon the 3rd and departed Monday afternoon for Rapid City, Deadwood, Alzada MT (first town inside MT border on US 212, so that is my 45th state!). Of course all weekend Im wearing Pards regalia and was stopped by many an AF parent (it was parents weekend) to compliment me on LC showing! One stands out: in Manitou Springs (base of Pikes Peak which I drove up too - no *****! - but got vapor lock 3x in my new Ford Fusion rental!) I was in the Keg, a historic bar deciding whether to wait for seat at bar) when an AF parent with his family and son came up to me and said how very, very impressed he was the Leopard team joined its Falcon brethren on the field under the scoreboard to sing the THIRD verse of the four verse AF alma mater (words on screen) which deals with loss of AF service people in line of duty. I was a one man roving LC PR machine that whole weekend. Walking through AF tailgates before and after game, well you know me. On Friday evening I went to Doubletree (where Pards were staying but not me) to meet some Pard folk. There were a couple tables of parents and AD staff at bar. I talked to an AD gentleman that evening and he saw me after game near LC busses and asked if I could spare a couple minutes? Sure. He brings Coach Garrett off bus to talk to me for 5 minutes. He knew I came out to COS to watch the farthest west Leopard game even though I never played, never had a kid that played. That was very, very nice! This morning Im wearing my LC stuff here at home at Wawa in Spray Beach on Long Beach Island NJ and woman says my husband was class of 57. That hit a light as my Shawnee HS principle (Gordon Galtere) and histroy teacher (Stu Murray) were on the championship tourney BB team that year. Turns out her husband is Tony Mack of that team. He is very good friends with Gordon and Stu (RIP). What a great community huh?

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2021, 11:55 AM
I still think we're entitled to a penalty flag every time an announcer says "LAH-fay-ette"

A AF parent asked me in Old Colorado City on Sunday AM (at Mountain Shadows restaurant - great bfast) how it was pronounced! I told him and he waxed about how well we had done.

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2021, 11:58 AM

But it was still a game in the 4th. Not too bad a showing for the Pards, all things considered. And they easily beat the spread.

14 points until 6 minutes left! Sorry Im late on these postings but internet and cell services is very very bad. I drove from Cheyenne to Custer SD (about 3 hours) and no service most of way

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2021, 12:02 PM
Chuck Bachman? He's the only long-timer there I think.

Yep Chuck